• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
I remember going from irc, to ventrilo, then to discord. There was a bunch of other clients inbeween vent and discord but none of them ever became our default until discord. Hbd discord!

Geg

Oct 25, 2017
Discord has basically been my internet home since like August 2015. Helped me to finally stop being a shy nerd and actually talk to my internet friends

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Use it most days, but they're adding way too much unnecessary shit imho

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
Don't care for all the other stuff they add, but basic functionaility is amazing

Anything that freed me and my friends from the hell that was skype is a blessing

Nemesis121

Nov 3, 2017
At first Discord was excellent but lately it's buggy, twice in the last week i closed discord and it crashed GW2, both times GW2 diagnostic crash tool identified Discord as the reason, for damn near 4 months it was causing SFV to randomly run at 30fps or lower, i tried everything but didn't realize Discord was the problem, caused issues with other games too..they need to stop adding so much shit it's causing problems..

jcroix

Oct 27, 2017
Neo Yokio
How long until we hate it like Facebook, Twitter and YouTube?

Already there! To my knowledge, they've yet to issue any sort of statement regarding how they intend to tackle the growing trend of hate groups adopting the platform. It was also name-checked in a big Buzzfeed story as recent as yesterday for being a safe haven for hate groups. The difference between Discord and other social platforms is that it's bringing the worst elements of IRC culture back into the mainstream. These groups can organize faster, be more efficient, and maintain greater anonymity when compared to other modern social media platforms, with the additional benefit of it being a hip platform to younger audiences. If they're actually addressing this issue then they don't seem to be making great progress.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
Feels longer than that. I remember transitioning from Team Speak with a few Siege servers. It was interesting.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Discord is amazing. It has brought so many communities together. It gave my 10 years old Warcraft III clan a new life and I am in many Discord communities learning about new things, discussing games and other stuff. It's truly a great platform.

Happy birthday Discord!

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Already there! To my knowledge, they've yet to issue any sort of statement regarding how they intend to tackle the growing trend of hate groups adopting the platform. It was also name-checked in a big Buzzfeed story as recent as yesterday for being a safe haven for hate groups. The difference between Discord and other social platforms is that it's bringing the worst elements of IRC culture back into the mainstream. These groups can organize faster, be more efficient, and maintain greater anonymity when compared to other modern social media platforms, with the additional benefit of it being a hip platform to younger audiences. If they're actually addressing this issue then they don't seem to be making great progress.
Discord is a system through which people communicate easily and quickly, so of course hate groups are going to use it. Discord has already taken action in the past (https://twitter.com/discordapp/status/897170310348263426), and is a generally left-leaning organization.

It's a difficult problem; how you just outright monitor every single private server (of which there are millions)? Do you task legions of people to just make judgment calls? Do you trust an algorithm? It's not perfect, but they're at least doing something about it.

Moara

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Discord is great but after 4 years, how do they still not have folders tho?

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan

Discord has private servers and the owner of the server is given great authority over their server. So, unless discord becomes a social thing like Facebook and has stuff like forcefully sharing stuff of other servers into yours, I really don't have an issue with it. I choose to see what I wanna see and block anything I don't wanna see.

NESpowerhouse

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
Shit, I remember helping some freshman move in at college and learning about Discord through him. That was almost 3 years ago now. I remember the first server I ever joined aside from ones for group projects in school was the RefreshGAF server a couple years ago back when we were desperately trying to get tickets for the Playstation E3 Experience. Now I'm in something like 4 anime servers, including AnimeEra.

Kickfister

May 9, 2019
remember the discord store?
You mean the store that people should have fought for instead of the epic store for a variety of reasons?

I promise I don't wanna derail the thread, it just stings a bit that the good platform with a new store wasn't given a chance cause it didn't play dirty.

Anyway, it's crazy that discord is already 4 years old. I use it every single day, great platform and much deserved success.

Deleted member 4044

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Looking forward to the eventual Microsoft acquisition and use as the new XBox client/store/overlay on PC

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Discord is my most desired next gen feature for Sony. I hate being separate from chatting with my friend but platform. Yes I know I can run remote play on my desktop and talk to them there. But it's cumbersome, annoying and requires running my PS4.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's neat except for when their employees decide what rule to bother enforcing that day https://www.reddit.com/r/internetdr...rd_drama_uallthefoxes_now_from_the_trust_and/
Growing pains for any company trying to enforce trust and safety on a rapidly expanding platform with over a quarter billion users. It's easy to criticize until you've had to solve problems at scale.

Not that they are faultless, but this often happens due to incompetence and growing pains, not malice.

Anyways, happy bday, Discord!

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
You mean the store that people should have fought for instead of the epic store for a variety of reasons?

I promise I don't wanna derail the thread, it just stings a bit that the good platform with a new store wasn't given a chance cause it didn't play dirty.

Anyway, it's crazy that discord is already 4 years old. I use it every single day, great platform and much deserved success.
You're forgetting that the Discord store also used exclusivity periods for its titles. :X

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
Growing pains for any company trying to enforce trust and safety on a rapidly expanding platform with over a quarter billion users. It's easy to criticize until you've had to solve problems at scale.

Not that they are faultless, but this often happens due to incompetence and growing pains, not malice.

Anyways, happy bday, Discord!
I mean I don't think they've never not had an open position for the trust and safety team, it's really damn hard to be consistent when you have thousands of reports to go through.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I remember giving one of the creators shit on Reddit when he was plugging it about how it not being open-sourced was sketchy and telling him Mumble was better.

The voice quality's gotten better but my original point still stands.

Kickfister

May 9, 2019
You're forgetting that the Discord store also used exclusivity periods for its titles. :X
True, but for 30 days (MUCH more reasonable imo). I could go on, but I really don't want to turn this thread into a store debate, I just lacked the self control to not mention it when the opportunity was presented lmao.

EDIT: Okay, 90 days. My memory was foggy, but either way, less than a year.