• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Would you leave Discord if they integrated cryptocurrency or NFT features?

• No

Votes: 391 40.7%
  • No, but I would unsubscribe from Nitro

Votes: 288 30.0%
  • Yes

Votes: 157 16.3%
  • I do not use Discord

Votes: 125 13.0%

• Total voters

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Makes sense that they're doing this, they have to make money somehow if they're going to try to remain independent

Grug

Oct 26, 2017
You don't need to sell yourself short. The technology in this instance has absolutely no bearing on the ability of artists to create game assets or the ability for game engines to have interoperable assets, so your explanation that in the absence of bespoke content, procedurally generated material could be used is both theoretically and empirically true,

I wasn't talking about procedural generated content. I was talking about human made assets.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Do you know what the Steam marketplace is? It's not on Steam interest to let NFT in in their ecosystem because it clashes with their own centralised solution. People thinking Steam doing this is the best for them are either ignorant or delusional.
You say this like I have to interact with the steam marketplace to use steam.

At least with NFT games being banned from the platform they're not being platformed/have ease of distribution.

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
I knew Discord would go down the shitter after they didn't get acquired. I know people dislike big companies acquiring smaller ones. But Discord is so hard to generate revenue from and it's so expensive to run that something had to happen that would piss off a lot of people, whether that was ads or this.

Grug

Oct 26, 2017
It's good for me since I then don't have to deal with games that have this.

You seem to be fundamentally opposed to any sort of NFT related system at all but seem to consistently stop short of saying why.

Let's say hypothetically that a game in the future was using a proof-of-stake, distributed blockchain ledger to track ownership of a loot item you won in a game.

In what way specifically is this a problem for you?

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
You seem to be fundamentally opposed to any sort of NFT related system at all but seem to consistently stop short of saying why.

Let's say hypothetically that a game in the future was using a proof-of-stake, distributed blockchain ledger to track ownership of a loot item you won in a game.

I am opposed to it because I don't see the need for it.
What's the benefit of such an item over... a random generated item?

InspectorJones

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Just canceled my Nitro Subscription; sounds like they'll have enough money without my subscription. And all I used my sub for was the 100mb upload limit.

Grug

Oct 26, 2017
I am opposed to it because I don't see the need for it.

I mean theoretically it's just a different form of ledger to identify which in game assets belong to the inventory of which player. It doesn't inherently imply some some of monetisation or even use of cryptocurrency. That is just one potential use case, in the same way that same way Steam/Epic/Fortnite/Playstation Network/Nintendo Switch Online/Xbox/Apple App Store/Google Play etc assign digital licenses to players, some of which are monetised and others which are free. If certain types of monetisation are dealbreakers for you, you just don't consume those products. Games using a NFT/blockchain back end will be no different in that regard.

What's the benefit of such an item over... a random generated item?

I don't see how random generation is a factor here? What are you talking about.

No offence but a few posts back you had no idea what proof-of-stake was, which is a pretty big tell you don't really understand blockchain tech to even a moderate degree. That's fine, but you seem to be passionately and disproportionately opposed to something you don't seem to know much about, to the extent that you are making some very specific slippery slope assumptions about use cases in order to justify the passion.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
I mean theoretically it's just a different form of ledger to identify which in game assets belong to the inventory of which player. It doesn't inherently imply some some of monetisation or even use of cryptocurrency. That is just one potential use case, in the same way that same way Steam/Epic/Fortnite/Playstation Network/Nintendo Switch Online/Xbox etc assign digital licenses to players, some of which are monetised and others which are free. If certain types of monetisation are dealbreakers for you, you just don't consume those products. Companies using a NFT/blockchain back end will be no different in that regard.

No offence but a few posts back you had no idea what proof-of-stake was, which is a pretty big tell you don't really understand blockchains to even a moderate degree. That's fine, but you seem to be passionately and disproportionately opposed to something you don't seem to know much about, to the extent that you are making some very specific assumptions about use cases in order to justify the passion.
I'm cool with not understandig it. I am not the brightest candle, as you said.
And no one has yet explained to me what I would gain out of it, other than making some investors happy.

MechaJackie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Yeah, as I said earlier in the thread, NFTs allow you to sell things like a weapon skin without being locked behind Steam.

Steam's marketplace is a protoform of NFT. Prior to Blockchain there wasn't a way of monetizing digital assets like that without locking them behind a service like Steam.
One example… What if a company started a NFT platform that sold/hosted licensed cosmetic gaming items that were then accessible through game APIs that are platform/publisher agnostic?

So for example Nike could give away NFTs with real shoes they sell. The player redeems the code and then receives the ownership rights over a digital version of those same shoes that they can wear in all games that elect to support that platform. Could wear the same item in GTA5, NBA2K24, PGA Golf 2024, Random Trendy new Battle Royale Game, VR Chat etc etc etc.

Or you buy a real official version of your NBA team's jersey or an official T shirt from your favourite band… you also get a code for a digital version to wear in games/metaverses etc

If items become rare and desired, people can exchange them in a marketplace. The smart contracts are codes to give a percentage of each sale to the NFT platform, the license holder, the game publishers etc.

It's just a quick example off the top of my head.
And that's why NFT game stans sound like actual children, because they don't even start to think about any single step of this whole process. I'm actually convinced now this is just astroturfing, because holy fuck y'all aren't even trying.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
And no one has yet explained to me what I would gain out of it, other than making some investors happy.
Most of the proposals and early implementations have been for egregious pay to win mechanics where you can buy/sell unique NFTs that give you a mechanical advantage in the game, so probably that.

On one hand, it means all game balance is ruined forever, but you might be able to sell a god roll weapon in Destiny 3 to some sweaty crucible player for a few hundred bucks.

Grug

Oct 26, 2017

There are lots of decisions businesses make, visible and invisible, that don't necessarily translate to direct gains for the consumer. Some of them can just be financial restructures, supply chain improvements, hardware revisions to reduce manufacturing costs, changing middleware, outsourcing elements of production etc. Utilising some sort of existing blockchain technology instead of developing in house solutions could simply be another one of those.

Ultimately most businesses do exist to deliver returns to investors. If you are going to hold every decision that make to a standard of "but how does it benefit the consumer directly", you're going to be angry most of the time.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
I mean theoretically it's just a different form of ledger to identify which in game assets belong to the inventory of which player. It doesn't inherently imply some some of monetisation or even use of cryptocurrency. That is just one potential use case, in the same way that same way Steam/Epic/Fortnite/Playstation Network/Nintendo Switch Online/Xbox/Apple App Store/Google Play etc assign digital licenses to players, some of which are monetised and others which are free. If certain types of monetisation are dealbreakers for you, you just don't consume those products. Games using a NFT/blockchain back end will be no different in that regard.

No offence but a few posts back you had no idea what proof-of-stake was, which is a pretty big tell you don't really understand blockchain tech to even a moderate degree. That's fine, but you seem to be passionately and disproportionately opposed to something you don't seem to know much about, to the extent that you are making some very specific slippery slope assumptions about use cases in order to justify the passion.
My dude, content keys for games based on real world products have existed for a LONG time, are my WoW TCG cards NFTs? Because if that's the case, content keys died off pretty hard.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
Most of the proposals and early implementations have been for egregious pay to win mechanics where you can buy/sell unique NFTs that give you a mechanical advantage in the game, so probably that.
As expected then. Don't want.

There are lots of decisions businesses make, visible and invisible, that don't necessarily translate to direct gains for the consumer. Some of them can just be financial restructures, supply chain improvements, hardware revisions to reduce manufacturing costs, changing middleware, outsourcing elements of production etc. Utilising some sort of existing blockchain technology instead of developing in house solutions could simply be another one of those.

Ultimately most businesses do exist to deliver returns to investors. If you are going to hold every decision that make to a standard of "but how does it benefit the consumer directly", you're going to be angry most of the time.
Then I stay angry. Think I am done here, you really sound like someone that is heavily invested already (maybe also financially). So godspeed and good luck.

MechaJackie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
YOU ARE THE ONE MAKING ARGUMENTS ABOUT "LOOK HOW NFTS ARE GOING TO BENEFIT THE CONSUMER" THO
EDIT: ABOUT SHIT THAT DOESN'T EVEN BENEFIT THE COMPANIES IN THE LONG RUN

rashbeep

Oct 27, 2017
And that's why NFT game stans sound like actual children, because they don't even start to think about any single step of this whole process. I'm actually convinced now this is just astroturfing, because holy fuck y'all aren't even trying.

and then they talk down to people who (logically) think it sounds kind of pointless and stupid

Grug

Oct 26, 2017
Then I stay angry. Think I am done here, you really sound like someone that is heavily invested already (maybe also financially).

As I said earlier, I have one 2 dollar NFT that I bought for a laugh to burn a couple of bucks worth of Wax in a wallet. That is the extent of my current "investment".

Unfortunately there is a perception here (see MechaJackie's childish post above) that anyone who doesn't outright blanket condemn anything blockchain adjacent is a "stan" or a self-interested shill. It's a pretty hostile place to try and talk about any of this stuff with anything other than outright contempt.

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
Play to earn sounds like they're just going to have random NFTs as drops. Essentially 1 of 1 skins in a lootbox. Steam already does this or comes close.
"Play to earn" is such weasel language and it makes me viscerally uncomfortable. The way they pitch it its like you play a game you already bought like you normally would, and in the course of doing so you earn lotto tickets or real cryptocurrency that you can sell or trade for real money. Who wouldn't want that? Also who the fuck is going to build a game that gives out free money to all its players?

The reality is always going to be more like the Diablo 3 Real Money Auction House. And I'm going to ask this again since no-one has really addressed it directly yet: was Diablo 3 fun to play when the RMAH was active?

Sabin

Oct 25, 2017

I mean have you read the open letter by some crypto bro devs that they send to steam to allow their garbage on Steam again?

As if there was any doubt before lol.

Exposure

Oct 25, 2017

Probably the part where the company's going try using the ~blockchain~ to make money off that concept and make the game worse.

Like, again, there's no point for companies trying to utilize the blockchain if the end result is just going to be "well it's like what we had before except now we have to do it more clunkier with the blockchain compared to what we have before" for them. It's very obvious the whole point of blockchain efforts by the various companies showing interest in them is because they think they can make money off it, and there's no other reason I can see why hypothetical MMO where the loot drops are all NFTs would do that except if it was intending for real money to get involved with said loot drops in some way.

Like you can't just go "well what if it was just a completely normal game", because it seems very evident to everybody that the whole point of these efforts is to not just make yet another normal game?

Because if you were making a normal game...why on earth would you just kneecap yourself by going "ok now we just need to completely reinvent the wheel with this new technology, including making very weird workarounds to deal with the fact that there's basic expectations people have for a game that's going be very hard to normally do with a blockchain based backend".

MechaJackie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
As I said earlier, I have one 2 dollar NFT that I bought for a laugh to burn a couple of bucks worth of Wax in a wallet. That is the extent of my current "investment".

Unfortunately there is a perception here (see MechaJackie's childish post above) that anyone who doesn't outright blanket condemn anything blockchain adjacent is a "stan" or a self-interested shill. It's a pretty hostile place to try and talk about any of this stuff with anything other than outright contempt.
Because I already addressed such stupid shit like "Company is gonna sell you an NFT that you're gonna use on other games!!!", and it's like WHY? Why would any company do that, why the fuck would some other dev spend time and money implementing your shitty NFT in to their game for NO MONETARY GAIN FOR THEM? Are you gonna pay everyone single one of these devs to implement your shitty Nike shoes into their game? If they are gonna put some shitty Nike shoes into their game, why wouldn't they sell it themselves the shitty nike shoe and make you pay for it again?
THIS POST RIGHT HERE
One example… What if a company started a NFT platform that sold/hosted licensed cosmetic gaming items that were then accessible through game APIs that are platform/publisher agnostic?

So for example Nike could give away NFTs with real shoes they sell. The player redeems the code and then receives the ownership rights over a digital version of those same shoes that they can wear in all games that elect to support that platform. Could wear the same item in GTA5, NBA2K24, PGA Golf 2024, Random Trendy new Battle Royale Game, VR Chat etc etc etc.

Or you buy a real official version of your NBA team's jersey or an official T shirt from your favourite band… you also get a code for a digital version to wear in games/metaverses etc

If items become rare and desired, people can exchange them in a marketplace. The smart contracts are codes to give a percentage of each sale to the NFT platform, the license holder, the game publishers etc.

It's just a quick example off the top of my head.

Grug

Oct 26, 2017
Probably the part where the company's going try using the ~blockchain~ to make money off that concept and make the game worse.

It sounds like your issue here is more the monetisation of games? If so, I share similar concerns.

I don't see what is is about the blockchain in particular that will inherently make this problem worse? Companies have proven perfectly capable of ruining games with monetisation without blockchain technology. Generally they incur the wrath (or lose the dollars) of consumers when they push it too far.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada

Because it's buying into a scam, there are environmentally harmful cryptocurrencies that work by generating unique hashes, which are bad.

But there are also ones that generate value on their currency by introducing more users buying into the platform. This is called a pyramid scheme.

NFTs are the doTerra, the Cutco, the Tupperware, the Avon, of the internet. People who try to sell people on them, are that old lady their mom or dad knew that would come by with a book to tell you all about these products you need, that if you buy they make money for themselves, that they then spend on buying more product to sell, slowly losing money. But earning money for the people who spearheaded the pyramid scheme.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
It sounds like your issue here is more the monetisation of games? If so, I share similar concerns.

I don't see what is is about the blockchain in particular that will inherently make this problem worse? Companies have proven perfectly capable of ruining games with monetisation without blockchain technology. Generally they incur the wrath (or lose the dollars) of consumers when they push it too far.

Can you use blockchain verification tech independent of crypto at all? The examples I recall off the top of my head mostly need you to trade in an applicable currency (I assume part of the verification process requires gas fees in crypto, especially in a proof of stake system?)

Exposure

Oct 25, 2017

I don't see what is is about the blockchain in particular that will inherently make this problem worse?
Because so far the entire purpose of blockchain on the consumer end so far seems to have been re-implementing [real life thing] but worse in terms of both the far more intense speculation involved, the limited use people get out of it, and in terms of how easy it is for people to just get conned out of stuff.

We got stock market but worse (the misnomer that is cryptocurrencies), we got the art market but worse (NFTs as they currently exist), so why on earth would I want video games but worse?

like yeah that's more a factor of lol capitalism than something inherent to blockchain itself, but man it is weird how blockchain keeps coming up when it comes to the new "man this manages to be both a utter waste of money and a way for people to get scammed in a way that it's hard for them to recover whatever money they did spend into it" thing of the season, isn't it?

Grug

Oct 26, 2017
THIS POST RIGHT HERE

I don't think there is anything in that post talking that up as a great benefit for the consumerThe context was a hypothetical use case from a business perspective trying to find an angle how a gaming company might try and exploit NFTs in their profit model. It was not promoting it as something I want as a consumer. In fact, I find the idea of spending money on in-game cosmetics really stupid from a consumer standpoint, blockchain or otherwise. But a lot of companies make a lot of money from it.

Because I already addressed such stupid shit like "Company is gonna sell you an NFT that you're gonna use on other games!!!", and it's like WHY? Why would any company do that, why the fuck would some other dev spend time and money implementing your shitty NFT in to their game for NO MONETARY GAIN FOR THEM? Are you gonna pay everyone single one of these devs to implement your shitty Nike shoes into their game? If they are gonna put some shitty Nike shoes into their game, why wouldn't they sell it themselves the shitty nike shoe and make you pay for it again?

Well as I said, it was a very loose hypothetical, I wasn't fleshing out a whole business case for it. That said, I did suggest that the smart contracts on the NFT's could be programmed to share sales revenue with various partners. I mean you don't need to look far to see similar sort of cross-brand promotions happening all the time. Epic make a killing with it in Fortnite with V-Bucks. But in any case, you are reading far too much into a very lose hypothetical that you have taken entirely out of context.

Grug

Oct 26, 2017
Can you use blockchain verification tech independent of crypto at all? The examples I recall off the top of my head mostly need you to trade in an applicable currency (I assume part of the verification process requires gas fees in crypto, especially in a proof of stake system?)

It would depend on the use case and if you are using it for monetisation or not. Then you would have varying options, including using stablecoins if you want to avoid more volatile cryptocurrencies.

Gas fees on proof-of-stake systems are decreasing rapidly. We're talking 3-5 cents on a lot of platforms, and they will keep going down.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
The reality is always going to be more like the Diablo 3 Real Money Auction House. And I'm going to ask this again since no-one has really addressed it directly yet: was Diablo 3 fun to play when the RMAH was active?
You could maybe earn less than minimum wage if you were very diligent and played it like a job. That will probably still be the case, but the small number of items that sell for huge amounts will be much more publicized and you'll be able to display them on your social media profiles.

StraySheep

Oct 26, 2017
Ok seriously though what has happened in the last few weeks to where every corporation feels the need to jump in? I totally missed Pixar is fucking doing it.

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ok seriously though what has happened in the last few weeks to where every corporation feels the need to jump in? I totally missed Pixar is fucking doing it.
The Facebook Metaverse announcement seems to have been the tipping point in getting literally every company to decide NFTs are the future and the future is now.

Axon

Banned
Mar 9, 2020
The energy consumption stuff will be solved. Again, most new NFT hosting ecosystems are already proof of stake. Ethereum will eventually do the same or it will simply die.

Though doesn't Proof of Stake exist that lowers the ecological impact heavily? Again doesn't really solve other major holes in the blockchain.

It will require more energy than not regardless of how you spin it and thats just not something we should be doing right now. Consumerism has already gone far enough.

Grug

Oct 26, 2017
But there are also ones that generate value on their currency by introducing more users buying into the platform. This is called a pyramid scheme.

NFTs are the doTerra, the Cutco, the Tupperware, the Avon, of the internet. People who try to sell people on them, are that old lady their mom or dad knew that would come by with a book to tell you all about these products you need, that if you buy they make money for themselves, that they then spend on buying more product to sell, slowly losing money. But earning money for the people who spearheaded the pyramid scheme.

Firstly, you need to get your scam terminology right. NFTs in the very specific use case I suspect you are talking about (i.e. people buying and selling shitty jpegs of pixellated monkeys for obscene amounts) are much more akin to a pump and dump scam, not a pyramid scheme, which is a very different type of scam.

But outside that specific use case, NFTs in a technological sense are just a way of keeping records that are as close to immutable as possible. For the records to be changed, it requires a level of mass consensus that just can't be replicated in any other way. We're talking use cases as banal as preserving contracts, asset purchases, legal agreements, records of correspondence.... anything really where keeping records intact and unable to be doctored is important.

So yes, as with any new discovery or opportunity, there is always an influx of scammers or people who try to exploit others. But then there is also genuine utility that emerges as well. In the same way that some people here make the following false conclusion.

A: Bitcoin is a Crypocurrency
B: Bitcoin is bad for the environment

Bad conclusion: Therefore Cryptocurrencies are inherently bad for the environment.

A: People are able to use Non-Fungible Technologies to exchange things
B: A lot of people are utilising NFTs in a pump and dump scam which is creating an idiotic bubble of people wasting money on worthless jpegs.

Bad Conclusion: NFTs are inherently a scam.

In reality, there are various use cases, and some companies are going to try and do some outlandish bullshit no doubt. As with other shitty monetisation schemes whether it is loot boxes in Battlefront or Pay to Win mobile games that play ads every 15 seconds, consumers usually make their displeasure known.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Firstly, you need to get your scam terminology right. NFTs in the very specific use case I suspect you are talking about (i.e. people buying and selling shitty jpegs of pixellated monkeys for obscene amounts) are much more akin to a pump and dump scam, not a pyramid scheme, which is a very different type of scam.

But outside that specific use case, NFTs in a technological sense are just a way of keeping records that are as close to immutable as possible. For the records to be changed, it requires a level of mass consensus that just can't be replicated in any other way. We're talking use cases as banal as preserving contracts, asset purchases, legal agreements, records of correspondence.... anything really where keeping records intact and unable to be doctored is important.

So yes, as with any new discovery or opportunity, there is always an influx of scammers or people who try to exploit others. But then there is also genuine utility that emerges as well. In the same way that some people here make the following false conclusion.

A: Bitcoin is a Crypocurrency
B: Bitcoin is bad for the environment

Bad conclusion: Therefore Cryptocurrencies are inherently bad for the environment.

A: People are able to use Non-Fungible Technologies to exchange things
B: A lot of people are utilising NFTs in a pump and dump scam which is creating an idiotic bubble of people wasting money on worthless jpegs.

Bad Conclusion: NFTs are inherently a scam.

In reality, there are various use cases, and some companies are going to try and do some outlandish bullshit no doubt. As with other shitty monetisation schemes whether it is loot boxes in Battlefront or Pay to Win mobile games that play ads every 15 seconds, consumers usually make their displeasure known.
Legit, this is the same argument I heard from a friend who got into selling essential oils, just replaced with crypto/NFTs.

Grug

Oct 26, 2017
It will require more energy than not regardless of how you spin it

If the global financial switched to a proof-of-stake digital currency system it would be far less of a resource hog than the existing financial/fiat system. Unfortunately we are trapped in the past by path dependency.

StraySheep

Oct 26, 2017

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
"Play to earn" sounds like you get money for free for playing the game you love, which is a delusional fantasy. In practice it will always be "your hobby has now become your job"

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
"Play to earn" sounds like you get money for free for playing the game you love, which is a delusional fantasy. In practice it will always be "your hobby has now become your job"
All of these companies track "aspirational play" (playing this game could make me rich and/or famous) as a metric and see this as a way to send it into the stratosphere.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Legit, reductio ad absurdiums like the above are the same logical fallacies I hear from friends who have no interest in discussing things in good faith.
Except, I have exactly heard these arguments from people who are lost in pyramid/mlm schemes, Just because essential oils have a use, doesn't mean that what they're a part of isn't a scam. Is all crypto a scam? No, but are the Cryptos that aren't a scam used for money laundering? Absolutely.

Deleted member 1659

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (2 Weeks): Trolling and Making Fun of People's Identity; History of Trolling

For the record, Stan is not the preferred nomenclature. Fomosexual is what I like to be called.

ChrisD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Not gonna quote anyone here, but NFTs are definitely not the Steam marketplace. It's not a logical point of comparison when NFT just sells you "ownership" of a thing that anyone else can also access. Items on Steam marketplace HAVE to be bought in order to use or display. If you could right-click/save a CS:GO skin to use in your own game but knew deep down you didn't "own" it, things would be different. If you could display any trading card on your profile but there wasn't a menu within a menu that said "ChrisD owns this card" then it'd be a fair comparison.

It's a bad comparison. It doesn't work.