• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
Video Games Are Dumb
Oct 25, 2017
Milwaukee, WI
their Madison Square Garden show is on their Youtube channel and it's all incredible.

Wow, you were not kidding. They are one hell of a live band.
I'm pretty new to them but I'm getting the vibe their goofy jokes are pure cockiness.
Which is kind of the essence of funk! People being silly and then pulling off an amazing bass solo.
It's that kind of "That's right, I'm a little funny cause I know I got it going on"

Sidebar: fuckin looooooooooooooooooove Madlib. Here's a random interview from France that shows just how much he respects the artists he samples. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yQ0pBCzckw&ab_channel=radiofrance

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Watching this thread btw, I love this style of funk and not the garbage one that's more common in Brasil known as funk carioca. I'll post some of my favorite songs a bit later since I'm still going through the replies.

Posting some Brazilian soulful funk

Holy shit I had no idea Tim Maia did some songs in English.

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Don't think I have all that much to add but here's a few of the ones I like.

First up I want to introduce people to Chromeo, they like to call themselves funklords so I thought it would be appropriate. Here are some of their songs I think were pretty good:

Finally these great songs from Space Dandy, I think this would be classified as funk or disco.

Junk Fujiyama has some good shit too, recommend his works as well.

Sylvester - You Make Me Feel (Mighty Real)
www.youtube.com

Sylvester - You Make Me Feel Mighty Real (Fantasy Records 1978)

"You Make Me Feel (Mighty Real)" is the title of a 1978 single by American disco singer Sylvester James, who performed using just his first name, Sylvester. ...

I could have sworn that I heard this song being sung by somebody with a deeper voice somewhere but I can't find that version anywhere.

OP
OP
Video Games Are Dumb
Oct 25, 2017
Milwaukee, WI
It's Saturday morning, you know what that means!

Here's a Japanese rip of James Brown's Soul Train episode!
You
Are
Not
Ready.

Get Funky, Weekend Era.

www.youtube.com

James Brown Live At Soul Train

Hot Pants 0:00Get Up (I Feel Like A) Sex Machine 2:36Get On The Good Foot 4:06Soul Power 6:51Make It Funky 9:53Cold Sweat 11:07Try Me 14:22Please Please, Ple...

Wag

Nov 3, 2017
Love blues so I've been listening to a lot of Johnny "Guitar" Watson's 70's funk tracks lately:

His earlier blues tracks and even his later funk stuff are all just brilliant.