• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
"It is one of the best-written RPGs in recent memory. It is a glimpse inside the mind of Hunter S. Thompson, combined with the best script that David Lynch never wrote. It is True Detective's Rust Cohle, drinking beer and smoking opium with Sherlock Holmes while Twin Peaks' Dale Cooper is in the next room brewing damn good coffee. "

who writes like this in 2019?

What's wrong with that paragraph? Makes perfect sense to me to sum up the writing in its absurdity while also being damn interesting and completely out there.

benj

Oct 27, 2017
I don't really mind the structure of that paragraph (even if it's a little "every character from every IP comes in for a huge birthday party") but I do think that basically every one of those cultural references is so blown-out that it doesn't actually meaningfully convey anything about the game's identity. Like, if you want the "Lynchian" descriptor to mean anything, you have to show your work a bit.

Mar 29, 2018
Oh man

How are the graphic requirements? Fully 2D backgrounds or what? If I can run Wasteland 2, Divinity OS 1 and Pillars 1 on low-medium-ish should I be fine?
Yeah seems like fully 2D backgrounds and relatively low res 3D character models. The environment textures all seem pretty damn detailed, Although I'm sure they can be toned down. If you can do Divinity you can deffo do this I reckon.

I don't really mind the structure of that paragraph (even if it's a little "every character from every IP comes in for a huge birthday party") but I do think that basically every one of those cultural references is so blown-out that it doesn't actually meaningfully convey anything about the game's identity. Like, if you want the "Lynchian" descriptor to mean anything, you have to show your work a bit.
It's not Lynchian at all, either, from what I've played

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
This game looks like everything I want out of a game, but I just can't find the time to even play it right now so I'll wait until either a physical PS4 release or a discount. If it was 15 hours long maybe, but it's a pretty daunting game to start it seems.

show me your skeleton

#1 Bugsnax Fan
Oct 28, 2017
skeleton land
ign uk - 9.6/10
Disco Elysium is a unique blend of noir-detective fiction, traditional pen-and-paper RPGs, and a large helping of existentialist theory. Its twisting plot, cast of memorable characters, and sheer depth of choice combine to create an experience that begs to be savoured. A few minor gripes aside, it hits on almost every single one of the marks it sets out to achieve and left me yearning to spend more time in its world.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah seems like fully 2D backgrounds and relatively low res 3D character models. The environment textures all seem pretty damn detailed, Although I'm sure they can be toned down. If you can do Divinity you can deffo do this I reckon.

It's actually not fully 2D, it seems to be almost entirely 3D models but built to look like 2D. They probably don't have any modeling on the non visible side.
On lower end hardware like everyday laptops the game is actually demanding, I can run Siege on lowest settings better than I can't run this game on my laptop properly.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2018
It's actually not fully 2D, it seems to be almost entirely 3D models but built to look like 2D. They probably don't have any modeling on the non visible side.
On lower end hardware like everyday laptops the game is actually demanding, I can run Siege on lowest settings better than I can run this game on my laptop.
Yeah the more I play the more I see bits of the environment are actually 3D. Wild.

Still, should be much easier than Divinity to run.

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So glad it's done well. Congrats to the developers! Followed this for a while, but I don't have a PC that could run it, unfortunately.

OP
OP
texhnolyze

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
One of the highest rated games of the yeardecade and people are sleeping on it?

aKnW6bl.jpg

Slim Action

Jul 4, 2018
Exceptionally good reviews can help an indie game break out. Right now Disco Elysium is tied for the #1 rated game of the year on Opencritic, that will bring some eyeballs.

Violet

Alt account
Banned
Feb 7, 2019
dc
"It is one of the best-written RPGs in recent memory. It is a glimpse inside the mind of Hunter S. Thompson, combined with the best script that David Lynch never wrote. It is True Detective's Rust Cohle, drinking beer and smoking opium with Sherlock Holmes while Twin Peaks' Dale Cooper is in the next room brewing damn good coffee. "

this makes me really want to not play the game lmaoo

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
It's a dense PC RPG. It's always going to be an uphill battle for it to get noticed on ResetEra. You'll know it's winning that battle when the questions about a Switch port start piling up.

This right here.

The sheer amount of reading involved means the game's automatically gonna be a big ask, not just around here but most anywhere.

It's simply more niche than your typical "3rd-person action AAA prestige" game that gets so much traction around these parts.

Hopefully word of mouth and stellar reviews will draw more eyeballs, but it'll never get the same attention as RDR2, GoW or TLOU2.

No regrets. Just how things roll.

Dlanor A. Knox

ā–² Legend ā–²
Apr 6, 2018

aKnW6bl.jpg

Really really really REALLY want to play this but since English isn't my native language i'd rather wait to see if they plan on translating it in other languages. (french, in my case.)

English isn't really an issue for me but apparently the game uses a very elevated english which will probably force me to use google translate while playing it. And it's also, like, 100% reading.

I'd rather play a game like this in my native language if possible to be fully immersed. If they have no plans on translating it then i'll just play it in english, but i'll wait a bit and see if they come up with an announcement first. (:

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Really really really REALLY want to play this but since English isn't my native language i'd rather wait to see if they plan on translating it in other languages. (french, in my case.)

English isn't really an issue for me but apparently the game uses a very elevated english which will probably force me to use google translate while playing it. And it's also, like, 100% reading.

I'd rather play a game like this in my native language if possible to be fully immersed. If they have no plans on translating it then i'll just play it in english, but i'll wait a bit and see if they come up with an announcement first. (:

From the Steam FAQ, they plan to talk about translation sometime post-release:

What languages is Disco Elysium available in?
The game will firstly be available in English only. We will hopefully follow up with news on upcoming translations such as Chinese, Polish, French, German and Russian.

OP
OP
texhnolyze

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
It's the global top-seller on Steam (and possibly GOG) at the moment, I think it's doing fine. It's not even been 24 hours since release, give it time.
True, but that's not really out of ordinary for a launch day performance.

The concurrent users peak is not that impressive either with only 2.3k peak today. We'll see how it performs on its first weekend later, but I'm not sure if it can reach much higher number. With more reviews coming out and more words of mouth being spread, Disco Elysium might become an evergreen RPG that will keep on selling, hopefully.

Fair concern. I'm not a native English user too, but so far I don't find the writing that challenging to comprehend.

I DONT HAVE A PC THAT CAN RUN IT YOU SWINE
Chill, buddy. I'm only pointing my finger at PC users, obviously. It's a PC exclusive title for now, after all.

As we can see from the Steam charts, it's not doing too hot at the moment.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
The game isn't challenging my vocabulary, but it sure is challenging my understanding of surrealism and abstract concept.

aKnW6bl.jpg
Most people just play the recognisable games or breakout successes like Risk of Rain etc. It's hard for people to get into RPG, let alone a pen & paper RPG with no action and just talking.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
True, but that's not really out of ordinary for a launch day performance.

The concurrent users peak is not that impressive either with only 2.3k peak today. We'll see how it performs on its first weekend later, but I'm not sure if it can reach much higher number. With more reviews coming out and more words of mouth being spread, Disco Elysium might become an evergreen RPG that will keep on selling, hopefully.

Fair concern. I'm not a native English user too, but so far I don't find the writing that challenging to comprehend.

Chill, buddy. I'm only pointing my fifnger at PC users, obviously. It's a PC exclusive title for now, after all.

As we can see from the Steam charts, it's not doing too hot at the moment.

It's a text-heavy English-only indie game that's been out for a day (in the middle of the week) on a single platform, and is higher priced than most indie games. It's also a long game that encourages multiple replays so it doesn't have many professional reviews (and the high replay value should help its showing on streams). It's already got over 150 user reviews. It's not going to be the next Untitled Goose Game, but I imagine it'll sell in the 6-digit range before they start heavily discounting it. No clue if that's profitable since they also mention having a bigger team than normal (30+ at their height, with over 100 people having contributed to the game in some way), but I wouldn't be too worried at this stage.

Also, it doesn't really have any competition for this kind of massive CYOA/tabletop experience so I imagine it'll sell decently over a long period of time.

Elven_Star

Oct 27, 2017

Someone with exquisite taste?

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
What's wrong with that paragraph? Makes perfect sense to me to sum up the writing in its absurdity while also being damn interesting and completely out there.

A collection of namedrops is some of the most irrelevant and uninformative thing you can write unless you're trying to sell your own game

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

This feels like someone who consumed so much pop culture that it replaced their own human personality. Like someone who writes "I Like The Office and Marvel movies" on their Tinder bio.

Slim Action

Jul 4, 2018
I don't think the game's writing is particularly like Hunter S. Thompson's. In fact I've been pleased with how digestible, original and not-referential it is.

AcridMeat

Oct 26, 2017
i don't usually spend more than 20 bucks for a digital game
and i know i will not have the time to play this

but with all this hype around it i'm still dangerously cloe to throw away the 40 bucks
Wouldn't it just be risking $20 and then getting so much entertainment that it's worth it anyway?

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
This feels like someone who consumed so much pop culture that it replaced their own human personality. Like someone who writes "I Like The Office and Marvel movies" on their Tinder bio.
Sorry, couldn't help it.

When you're so drowned in pop culture and don't feel comfortable to give your full opinion, making comparisons is the easier way to review šŸ˜…

dodo

Oct 27, 2017
It's not much like True Detective, David Lynch or Sherlock Holmes either. That whole paragraph is goofy as hell.

i agree that quote is pretty goofy but I don't actually think david lynch is a completely inaccurate point of reference. if you put a lot of points in empathy there's a lot of dreamlike stuff going on. there's even a skill called inland empire.

I don't think the game's writing is particularly like Hunter S. Thompson's. In fact I've been pleased with how digestible, original and not-referential it is.

the two references i've caught so far (early on) have been so out of left field i've honestly appreciated them:
when kim explains the idea of the MMO to you in the basement office you can only respond with "Wow." and then later on there was a reference to the old Crossfire game commercial

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
Suggestion: It's been a long hard road, but they deserve to know your thoughts, white hot and incandescent, burning with potential and desire for others to partake in this experience.

4.5 out of 5 for our review at USgamer.

ry-dog

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How much of the game is voiced and how much isn't?

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Someone who loves Ready Player One.

OP
OP
texhnolyze

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia