• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Astraer

Gamer Guides
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
So i'm looking to pick this up. What's the odds of it going on sale anytime soon? I know it's on sale at the moment but only for 20%, any chance for a deeper sale as i'm not 100% sure if the game is for me.

Lightjolly

Oct 30, 2019
Well I did it, I bought the game.

My exeprience with CRPGS is minor but I have dabbled a bit with tryanny, that I dropped due to not enjoying the combat too much, but the narrative was interesting.

I guess the real reason I ended up buying the game is that I remembered enjoying immensely the game series of Socery! by steve jackson which are very narrative/text heavy yet were so engrossing to play. Hopefully Disco Elysium can give me that same experience.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
How has this not been announced for switch? It's pretty much one of if not the platform that indies sell best on. Surprised they would release it on Xbox before switch

edit: I just took notice of this game after the game awards and figured right away that it would be on the eshop only to find out it hasn't even been announced for switch yet

Uthred

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't look like it would be from what I've seen, probably just needs to be optimized, it's not like it's pushing graphics

While it's stylised I think the areas are actually all fully 3D with volumetric lighting and particle effects. It would likely need some serious optimisation as it runs a bit jankily even on smaller "maps"

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
How has this not been announced for switch? It's pretty much one of if not the platform that indies sell best on. Surprised they would release it on Xbox before switch

edit: I just took notice of this game after the game awards and figured right away that it would be on the eshop only to find out it hasn't even been announced for switch yet
Not all indie games are equal, my dude.

Deleted member 14735

Oct 27, 2017
Hey all, just started playing and had a quick question, is it important to be able to max out at least some of my abilities? Having a rough time with the character builder and unsure of how to allocate my stats, whether I should be aiming to mirror the pre-built characters of a 5/4/2/1 spread or if a more average spread of 4/3/3/2 or even 3/3/3/3 would work. The skills I'm most interested in are all over lol so it's tough. Rhetoric, Inland Empire, Empathy, Shivers and Perception are all appealing to me, though if I had to ditch one it'd be rhetoric/the intellect tree since I want to roleplay a more sensing/emotional character. Alternatively if anyone has ideas on good choices to get that sort of thing I'm open to them.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hey all, just started playing and had a quick question, is it important to be able to max out at least some of my abilities? Having a rough time with the character builder and unsure of how to allocate my stats, whether I should be aiming to mirror the pre-built characters of a 5/4/2/1 spread or if a more average spread of 4/3/3/2 or even 3/3/3/3 would work. The skills I'm most interested in are all over lol so it's tough. Rhetoric, Inland Empire, Empathy, Shivers and Perception are all appealing to me, though if I had to ditch one it'd be rhetoric/the intellect tree since I want to roleplay a more sensing/emotional character. Alternatively if anyone has ideas on good choices to get that sort of thing I'm open to them.

You will have a much more entertaining time if you emphasize a couple of your skills. As they level they become 'louder' in your mind and speak up more often to attempt to influence you.

Deleted member 14735

Oct 27, 2017
You will have a much more entertaining time if you emphasize a couple of your skills. As they level they become 'louder' in your mind and speak up more often to attempt to influence you.
Would a 4/4/2/2 spread allow that or do I need a 5? I'd be thinking then of Psyche and Physique at 4 and Int/Motorics at 2, while emphasizing Inland Empire, Empathy and Shivers, but if it's better to have a 5 then I'd probably go Psyche at 5, Physique at 4, Motorics at 2 and Intellect at 1.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Would a 4/4/2/2 spread allow that or do I need a 5? I'd be thinking then of Psyche and Physique at 4 and Int/Motorics at 2, while emphasizing Inland Empire, Empathy and Shivers, but if it's better to have a 5 then I'd probably go Psyche at 5, Physique at 4, Motorics at 2 and Intellect at 1.

4/4/2/2 is fine. You'll get chances to level
up individual abilities, and you may chance upon certain thoughts that open up new pathways, leveling-wise.

anaa

Unshakable Resolve
Jun 30, 2019
Hey all, I picked this up a couple weeks ago and have sunken a few hours into it and it hasn't quite yet gotten its hooks in. Like the writing is pretty clever and I definitely appreciate what it's doing, I want to love it. Is this game kind of a slow-burner that doesn't really pick up right away? Anyone here have a similar experience in the opening hours? Any tips for.. I don't know... enjoyment? Or am I a lost cause 😅

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Hey all, I picked this up a couple weeks ago and have sunken a few hours into it and it hasn't quite yet gotten its hooks in. Like the writing is pretty clever and I definitely appreciate what it's doing, I want to love it. Is this game kind of a slow-burner that doesn't really pick up right away? Anyone here have a similar experience in the opening hours? Any tips for.. I don't know... enjoyment? Or am I a lost cause 😅
How far are you?

J-Wood

Oct 25, 2017
Just picked this up last night. How exactly do these skill checks work? I know if I mouse over a diagloue option it tells me the success chance but, how do I know what number needs to be rolled? Or is that something just completely hidden?

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Just picked this up last night. How exactly do these skill checks work? I know if I mouse over a diagloue option it tells me the success chance but, how do I know what number needs to be rolled? Or is that something just completely hidden?
The skills are used both actively and passively. For active use you choose it in dialog and it shows you the difficulty, the roll itself is 2d6+ your skill ranks vs the difficulty number. The passive checks happen automatically and mostly just give you extra info and fun stuff about things.

Bottom line, just go with it, it's perfectly fine to fail pretty much all the checks.

Uthred

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The number is generally shown in the text along with the difficulty e.g. [20] Imposible: Blah blah

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
So if it says a check is high with 72%, the dice roll needs to total 72?
Nope, the dice roll result (plus your skills ranks and misc modifiers) needs to equal or match the difficulty, the percentage chance is derived from that. As shown here
w-check-2.png

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
I am also about to start, or else start tomorrow, depending on how I feel in ~30 minutes.

Any last minute tips? I looked over some of the stuff in the OP at launch and will go over them again quickly, but I find character building intimidating to begin with and since here it can really affect what you're able to see...

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I am also about to start, or else start tomorrow, depending on how I feel in ~30 minutes.

Any last minute tips? I looked over some of the stuff in the OP at launch and will go over them again quickly, but I find character building intimidating to begin with and since here it can really affect what you're able to see...
Pick what seems interesting to you and don't worry too much. The failed skill checks are fun and the first day is supposed to be a shit show. Just roll with it and you'll have a blast.

Deleted member 14735

Oct 27, 2017
4/4/2/2 is fine. You'll get chances to level
up individual abilities, and you may chance upon certain thoughts that open up new pathways, leveling-wise.
Thanks, yea I didn't realize how all the leveling worked but I see now that it's no issue.

It was a bit slow to hook me because of how strange and disorienting it starts, but I'm on the second day now and am putting in multi-hour play sessions which is unusual for me. Can't really give advice except to just roll with it and see where it leads you, if you still aren't feeling it by the second day then I'd wonder if something's up though.

Pick what seems interesting to you and don't worry too much. The failed skill checks are fun and the first day is supposed to be a shit show. Just roll with it and you'll have a blast.
This basically yea, you're thrown right in the deep end lol, it became more enjoyable once I stopped worrying too much and started just letting things happen as explored everything.

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

Get Volition and Endurance to at least 2 as soon as possible.

Shake Appeal

Oct 27, 2017
Get Volition and Endurance to at least 2 as soon as possible.
This is basically all anyone needs. Get Volition and Endurance to 2, and understand that you can quickly use health or morale mid-dialogue if they're in danger of reaching 0.

Otherwise, just do whatever seems right to you. The game will accommodate your choices. Don't be afraid of failure or locking yourself out of things.

anaa

Unshakable Resolve
Jun 30, 2019
It was a bit slow to hook me because of how strange and disorienting it starts, but I'm on the second day now and am putting in multi-hour play sessions which is unusual for me. Can't really give advice except to just roll with it and see where it leads you, if you still aren't feeling it by the second day then I'd wonder if something's up though.
okay, I actually just hit day 2 and I can feel it starting to pick up a bit. the writing continues to be quite clever, and at least now i'm starting to feel sorry for the main character, instead of just disliking him. definitely an interesting game. the opening few hours were feeling a bit rail-roady, like an adventure game with single thread, seems now to be opening up a bit/feeling more RPG-like. will continue to post my findings.

benj

Oct 27, 2017
So I looked over the skills again in the RPS post in the OP, and I've decided on 3/4/2/3. This means both are already at 2 or 3, so I'm set, right?
yeah. you don't really need more than 1 in either anyway. the game throws plenty of healing items at you, and dying is fine. i'd just put points where you want to and not worry about it

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
yeah. you don't really need more than 1 in either anyway. the game throws plenty of healing items at you, and dying is fine. i'd just put points where you want to and not worry about it
It is good to point out that both Volition and Endurance are also normal skills, so put points into them if you feel like they fit your character or whatever. At least Volition has some interesting stuff behind it throughout the game.

Uthred

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's definitely worth throwing a skill point in so you don't get "one shot". Dying is tedious, and disastrous if you dont save regularly.

Uthred

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Or just stock up on meds. I played much of the game with one health point.

Maybe I wasnt clicking on the meds fast enough but I certainly felt like when I started off with one endurance I'd just get one shot and wouldnt have a chance to heal. But again that was at the start of my first playthrough so maybe I mis-remember.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe I wasnt clicking on the meds fast enough but I certainly felt like when I started off with one endurance I'd just get one shot and wouldnt have a chance to heal. But again that was at the start of my first playthrough so maybe I mis-remember.

You have like five seconds from the moment you take damage to apply meds, and there's a hot key.

I definitely put another point in endurance later, but it is possible to survive with enough drugs.

benj

Oct 27, 2017
it doesn't even take that many, really. I think I had to use drugs like 3-4 times my first playthrough, and I ended the game with something like 10 left for each I think.

but yeah, you always have a chance to heal before dying, so having 2 hit points isn't really that different from having 1

CampFreddie

A King's Landing
Oct 25, 2017
You have like five seconds from the moment you take damage to apply meds, and there's a hot key.

I definitely put another point in endurance later, but it is possible to survive with enough drugs.
Wait, what?
Does this mean that I can finally achieve victory over my arch nemesis, the uncomfortable chair?
All I need is a pack of ibuprofen (or whatever it's called in Revachol).

I went 6213. All the logic! All the knowledge! All the drama! All the *conceptualisation*!
Who cares if I can't turn on a light without having a heart attack.
I think it's a good idea to go crazy on one attribute. It's more fun that way. This isn't a traditional RPG where I worry about failing, since being a dysfunctional detective that fails in interesting ways seems to be kinda the point.
It's not like Fallout, Outer Worlds or whatever, where you can make a jack of all trades that passes every possible skill check by mid-game.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wait, what?
Does this mean that I can finally achieve victory over my arch nemesis, the uncomfortable chair?
All I need is a pack of ibuprofen (or whatever it's called in Revachol).

I went 6213. All the logic! All the knowledge! All the drama! All the *conceptualisation*!
Who cares if I can't turn on a light without having a heart attack.
I think it's a good idea to go crazy on one attribute. It's more fun that way. This isn't a traditional RPG where I worry about failing, since being a dysfunctional detective that fails in interesting ways seems to be kinda the point.
It's not like Fallout, Outer Worlds or whatever, where you can make a jack of all trades that passes every possible skill check by mid-game.

Yep! Stock up on drugs from Frittte!

Deleted member 14735

Oct 27, 2017
"RRRRAAAWWRRRAAAAGGGHH"
"Hello!"

I'm dying

I'm not sure what's "early" in this game, I have around 10 hours in and am late into the third day and the games been getting better and better for me. I dont play many if these types of games but it's got its claws on me. Need more narrative RPGs with no/minimal combat (I still haven't experienced any, is it possible to avoid combat entirely?)

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"RRRRAAAWWRRRAAAAGGGHH"
"Hello!"

I'm dying

I'm not sure what's "early" in this game, I have around 10 hours in and am late into the third day and the games been getting better and better for me. I dont play many if these types of games but it's got its claws on me. Need more narrative RPGs with no/minimal combat (I still haven't experienced any, is it possible to avoid combat entirely?)

there is no combat in the game, per se. there are a few...conflict oriented dialogues.

Status
Not open for further replies.