• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

megalowho

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
Holy shit at the way the

bookstore customer thing comes back around. Just such a silly scene where I volunteered to go find her missing husband and learned my spirit animal is a cockatoo. And then you find the dead body at the boardwalk and I walked into that apartment and saw it was her, and her husband really was missing and dead.

Fucking chills man. Had literal goosebumps.

What a gut punch.
I'll probably be in the minority here but I thought the opposite of that arc, found it manipulative and cliched. The scene on the boardwalk in particular reminded me of the kind of unsubtle moralizing you see from writers like Tyler Perry. That and the climax at the end are two examples of instances where the game tries going for heavy and lost me in the process.

megalowho

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
Wait, what was the "moralizing"?
The scenario they came up with for his death would have been right at home in a very special TV episode about the dangers of alcoholism. As soon as the woman lets you know her husband is actually missing it was clear where the story would end up, to punish you the player for making light of the situation at first. To paraphrase the writing at the crime scene, he had just taken his last drink and was just about to head home when he hit the one creaky board next to his bench and instantly died, where no one noticed until you came by. Even for the ugly world they present, this was too contrived for me to take seriously.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The scenario they came up with for his death would have been right at home in a very special TV episode about the dangers of alcoholism. As soon as the woman lets you know her husband is actually missing it was clear where the story would end up, to punish you the player for making light of the situation at first. To paraphrase the writing at the crime scene, he had just taken his last drink and was just about to head home when he hit the one creaky board next to his bench and instantly died, where no one noticed until you came by. Even for the ugly world they present, this was too contrived for me to take seriously.

I felt it was clear that it could have happened to anyone, although the only reason he was out in such a remote area was to drink in peace. It was also clear that he didn't die instantly, but bled out alone and confused.

Shake Appeal

Oct 27, 2017
I felt it was clear that it could have happened to anyone, although the only reason he was out in such a remote area was to drink in peace. It was also clear that he didn't die instantly, but bled out alone and confused.
Yeah, I think it's a sympathetic portrait of the victim (and his family). At no point did I feel the game was lecturing me on the dangers of alcoholism; nor did I feel "punished" for joking about someone being missing earlier. The game has a pretty nuanced and wacky attitude to drugs and addiction, after all! If anything, i think that scene is there to show that much of the work of policing is unglamorous. Far from being all murder investigations and car chases, policing is usually just form-filling, attending awful scenes, and doing the hard, wrenching work of giving people some of the worst news of their life. If it was contrived, it was to put you in a situation where you—and Kim—could show your capacity for being empathetic police officers.

AtmaPhoenix

Oct 25, 2017
The Internet
Finished the game tonight. Fantastic all-around. Not sure I'm gonna dive right back in right away but I'd love to see how everything differs. I went with a mostly psychological Inland Empire-favoring weirdo this round who stayed sober and was a good (but sorry) moralist cop. Next route will probably be heavy on physical bruiser cop with low intelligence and maybe fully embrace communism as an apocalypse cop. I barely unlocked a third of the possible thought cabinets so I'm really intrigued as to how different things can turn out.

The tribunal was fucking tense as shit, I tried talking my way out of it but I didn't arrest Klaasje so I didn't have enough evidence to make the soldiers stand down. Despite not being very physical the whole game, I managed a miracle shot (thanks to analyzing the armor ahead of time) to take out the leader but shit went sideways anyway. I didn't figured out there was a third member of the army dudes, I thought there was only two so I'm interested to see if I can figure that out and maybe change how the tribunal goes down in another playthrough.

The actual killer came a little out of left field, but I really liked the conversation you have with him (and with the mythical creature appearing thus making me super happy my guy was 100% in on the phasmid being real earlier). Also the trial at the end where Kim came to my aid and I didn't end up being a bad guy (except for not having my gun, like hell I was gonna work for the dude at the harbor) was a great climax/denouement.

A+ game, superb storytelling.

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
I actually did most of the game with 1 morale (only at the end when I didn't know what to do with my points I added 1 to Volition). You find so much magnesium that it's really not a problem (it's true that I was a magnesium-based life form, though). You have plenty of time to click that button.

They do, it functions the same as health. Morale loss is definitely much harder to predict.

Reminder for folks that 1 Health/Morale means 1 Endurance/Volition, so if you are staying at 1 just to conserve consumables and heal only when taking critical damage, be aware you are going to be missing tons of passive skill checks with each of those and they will almost never chime in during dialogue or thought.

Nice. That will make a few builds I might want to play around with more viable.

Doomburrito

Feb 9, 2018
Huh, I'm sure this is known already, but I just stumbled upon a way to get infinite XP for free. Actual Art Degree thought + Looking at the Lamp in the Pawn Shop + Enough Conceptualization to hit the passive = super fast infinite level ups

Auberji

Oct 25, 2017
This game is beautifully sad to me. I've been working through with a Sensitive build and absolutely loving every little thing.

Quick quesiton about
does shaving had any notable effect because I did it and I kinda don't know if I regret it

I've been rolling with everything that happens to my character, mostly using level ups as a way to correct problems. Doing this I've ended up doing absolutely everything I come across in the first 3 days I feel.

InspectorJones

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
This deserter dude is fucked up.

And I did not expect that ridiculous stick insect to be real. Those traps were a little bit too small.

Yeah, that was definitely a magical experience interacting with the Cryptid. Some of the dialogue in that scene was just beautiful.

shodgson8

Aug 22, 2018
Still chipping away at this every evening. 28 hours in now. Just did the task involving the ravers and the church. Was not particularly into it at the start/on first meeting them but it got really good & surprisingly intense at the end.

I feel like this game will stick with me for a while, I utterly loved Sekiro & Control this year but DE is just about topping them for me...at the very least it has had me thinking a lot more about the story and events when I am not playing it than pretty much anything I have ever played.

I really need the novel set in the same world to be released in English.

peppersky

Banned
Mar 9, 2018
Am I the only one who thinks that the second half kinda drags?
I'm currently on day 4 and have gotten to what seems like a point of no return and I really just don't have a lot of things to do. I want to get my gun back but I have to wait until 22:00 for that and I don't know if I even have enough conversations left to pass the time until then. Most of the side quests have also kinda kept me cold, like the church plot was pretty much just a fetch quest. I do like how you slowly realize how weird the world of the game is though, it's almost full on fantasy at points.

Twinsen64

Banned
Mar 9, 2018
Stuck at Day 2 - not the 2am nowhere to sleep
It's about midday, Kim has gone to take the body back, I have spoken with the hardy boys and exhausted all conversation topics -> my next task is to speak to the rape victim but I can't activate this as it won't allow me to do so without Kim.
I've checked all tasks and there isn't really anything more I can do... do I need to sit on a bench until Kim comes back? or is something broken?

Shake Appeal

Oct 27, 2017
Stuck at Day 2 - not the 2am nowhere to sleep
It's about midday, Kim has gone to take the body back, I have spoken with the hardy boys and exhausted all conversation topics -> my next task is to speak to the rape victim but I can't activate this as it won't allow me to do so without Kim.
I've checked all tasks and there isn't really anything more I can do... do I need to sit on a bench until Kim comes back? or is something broken?
There are things you can't do without him, including many "main quest" tasks. But there should be plenty of other things in the area you can explore or attempt. Otherwise, yes, you need to burn time by sitting on a bench or reading books.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still only about 3 hours in, but this game is great so far. What an atmosphere, love the choices, both the amount and type of options you can do even just walking around.

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
I have a really dumb question, but how do I get the body down? I don't get any prompts to remove it and Kim doesn't say anything new. I just get "walk away" or "throw up" options. I feel like I've looked at everything else in the area.

megalowho

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
I have a really dumb question, but how do I get the body down? I don't get any prompts to remove it and Kim doesn't say anything new. I just get "walk away" or "throw up" options. I feel like I've looked at everything else in the area.
Sometimes failure and perseverance yields interesting results

If you fail the skill check and throw up twice eventually you learn a thought that will make approaching the body a lot easier

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
Sometimes failure and perseverance yields interesting results

If you fail the skill check and throw up twice eventually you learn a thought that will make approaching the body a lot easier

I have those two items I think
the ammonia and hankerchief?
but I don't get any option to use them. I'll try barfing again. Thanks.

Edit: Oh I see. Duh. Got it.

Last edited:

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
First night and Kim
called me out on running. Holy crap, if the game really tracks you double clicking everywhere bc you're in a hurry that is so dope

Evildeadhead

Oct 26, 2017
Some Manics songs that were referenced along the way (prob missed others) some of the lyrics are really pertinent to the characters.

"...So serene, the world turns blue
Heads are spinning, it feels so good
It's poetry, sheer poetry
The way you destroy your beauty
Miss Europa disco dancer
Brutally becomes a no hoper
Miss Europa disco dancer
Had your luck and had your chances
Miss Europa disco dancer
I never reached the supernova
Miss Europa disco dancer
Wake up drunk and then fall over
So messed up, the world turns grey
All washed up with debts to pay
It's agony, sheer agony
The way your life just fades away..."

Obvious RS Thomas connection.

Mentioned in a list but I can't remember where.

"The future teaches you to be alone
The present to be afraid and cold
"So if I can shoot rabbits then I can shoot fascists"

"And on the street tonight
An old man plays with newspaper cuttings of his glory days"

shodgson8

Aug 22, 2018
I know it's quite hard to do but can anyone give me an idea of how long I have left? At the end of day 4.

I am looking for Ruby along the coast, have passed a whispers check at the mural but not got any further, just completed the ravers & church stuff

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

wvan13

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else notice the red Delta Logisitics Company lorry behind a locked gate just below the roundabout area? Hmm....
gFSghdK.png
I showed this to a friend and he half-jokingly suggested that it could be a red herring.

PS4 and Xbox One ports confirmed for 2020
OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
www.resetera.com

Disco Elysium Dev Confirms PlayStation 4 & Xbox One Ports for Next Year

“The immediate plan, and this is why I won’t go on a holiday anytime soon, is to get Disco Elysium to as many people as possible,” Kurvitz said. “We’re going to port it next year to PlayStation and Xbox. We need to be very hands-on with the design of that. We don’t want to hire a porting...

Shazirah

Nov 13, 2017
I have been streaming this from my PC to my phone (Pixel) via the Steam Link app. This game is perfect for it. You can easily switch up the controls (via the app) so the controls end up being "tap the screen where you want to move/interact with" and just add on-screen TAB and ESC buttons. Also, just tap the screen on the conversation option you want to give, inventory, journal, etc. icons.

It's been pretty awesome. Tried it on an iPad, works well there, too.

And I get to play it in bed.

Which makes me hope that they decide to release it on Google Play and the App Store. It lends itself very well. I want them to make all the money and for more people to be exposed to it.

Last edited:
Art book confirmed for the game
OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017

shodgson8

Aug 22, 2018
Just did a pretty significant conversion near what I assume is close to the end of the game.

It was the talk on the crossing in the middle of the water while asleep. The whole thing was just incredible, I loved it visually along with how it basically turned the mechanics of the game...lists, questions, conversion paths, skill checks into character flaws that have pushed someone away. I honestly think this part was pretty masterfully done. I assume there would be more context but I let the letter blow away in the wind...because why not...

Also, about what happened to me before this:

The shootout for me went to shit. I wasn't able to talk anyone down particularly, I got the first shot off, failed the next two checks but helped Kim. At that point I felt like a failure as I thought it was the end of the game. I would assume I could have found out more before that point that may have helped.

Minamu

Nov 18, 2017
Sweden
I could use some pointers, My time is about 21:20 on the first day, I don't have enough money, not even close, to pay off my room rent, and the door to my room is locked. What do I do? I'm lost and getting bored.

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
I have been streaming this from my PC to my phone (Pixel) via the Steam Link app. This game is perfect for it. You can easily switch up the controls (via the app) so the controls end up being "tap the screen where you want to move/interact with" and just add on-screen TAB and ESC buttons. Also, just tap the screen on the conversation option you want to give, inventory, journal, etc. icons.

It's been pretty awesome. Tried it on an iPad, works well there, too.

And I get to play it in bed.

Which makes me hope that they decide to release it on Google Play and the App Store. It lends itself very well. I want them to make all the money and for more people to be exposed to it.
Thanks for this. I've been thinking about grabbing it, but hesitating because I can't honestly see myself playing it on my desktop and only slightly more likely on my laptop (but probably won't run it, so that would have to stream anyway).

I have a plethora of Android devices I could use knowing that it works well with Steam Link, and this is especially timely now that they've confirmed they are looking at PS and XB ports, rather than Switch as I had been hoping.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
I finished playing last night. Even with my minor complaints, Game of the Year easy. It's not even a contest despite this year being stacked with good GOTY picks.

Probably the best CRPG I've played (and I've played A LOT of CRPGs) and it blew Planescape out of the water for me. I am stunned.

Also, Kim may genuinely be one of the most well written and well realized characters in any video game ever.

I really want to read The Sacred and Terrible Air now.

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
First night and Kim
called me out on running. Holy crap, if the game really tracks you double clicking everywhere bc you're in a hurry that is so dope

I really loved that whole daily summary thing but was really disappointed that you can't repeat it on subsequent nights unless I am missing something

I have, all options seem greyed out, but I can try again I suppose :) I've read I might needto collect garbage and pawn off quest items to survive going forward, is that true? Seems weird to me :/

not really. I don't think I ever pawned anything other than
the spinners Kim lets you sell for the first night

Collecting all the garbage gives you like $3

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
So, how much of Planescape Torment is dialogue and character interactions?

I feel like I need to play another CRPG after Disco Elysium.
It is more dialogue than combat but there is still a lot of combat, unfortunately.

I have, all options seem greyed out, but I can try again I suppose :) I've read I might needto collect garbage and pawn off quest items to survive going forward, is that true? Seems weird to me :/

Try asking
The lady on the boat
for cash.

Oct 27, 2017
I can't stop playing this. It's like when you're addicted to Civ or something, that one-more-turn mentality. Earlier on I told myself I would stop after

Talking to the guys in the union box

But then they told me about the woman upstairs so I had to talk to her

But then I went back to the union guys and found a key so I had to use it

And then I found the pinball workshop so I had to explore it

And then...

And then..

And then...

It's just so fucking good. GotY for me probably.

Oct 25, 2017

Some selections:

"The two biggest favors anyone's ever done me in my life are the political education from Estonian punk bands and what (lead designer and writer) Chris Avellone did with Planescape: Torment. Punk bands got me through my life until I was 27 or 28, and Chris Avellone's contributions to video games got me past 29. I don't think I would have had the imagination to think you could be so ambitious and literary in video games."
Disco Elysium released on Oct. 15, but Kurvitz isn't resting yet. He's currently working on porting the game to Xbox One and PlayStation 4 next year and translating it into Chinese and various European languages. He's also focused on an English translation of Sacred and Terrible Air that will be released next year, and he has plans for an expansion and full sequel for Disco Elysium.
Video games are an ideal medium for the group because they combine multiple artistic disciplines but have a particularly large reach. But Kurvitz said he hasn't been able to enjoy other video games for the past five years. Instead he's turned to tabletop games like Kingdom: Death Monster (He dreams of meeting the game's designer, Adam Poots, so he can share his monster ideas.) and Fantasy Flight's Arkham Horror.

Status
Not open for further replies.