• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
The Last of Us is, at heart, a well-executed linear game that is wearing the grown-up clothes of a science-fiction thriller film. Like, a pretty good science-fiction thriller film that has some emotional heft to it. Not, like, Children of Men good, but if you squint you can look past the reductive gaminess and murder mechanics and draw some comparisons. It moved me. It has a thoughtful, moving end.

Disco Elysium is new. It's far more than the sum of its 980,000 words and its painterly art. Its stuff is freeform, interior, optional, contingent, subjective, hidden, oblique, abstruse, expressive, loving. It's this big-hearted journey of discovery that grabs big-box political and emotional themes that games hardly even touch and wields them pretty damn effectively. It understands and inhabits discrete literary and cultural traditions and plays with them, finds new life in them. It has a historical sensibility and a political sensibility, and it both commits to these and drenches them in irony. It steals genre tropes and breaks them over its knee, laughing. It reflects, regurgitates, reminiscences upon and strongly repudiates the parochialism of our real world. It's funny and it's sad and it's angry and it's kind. And it uses the distinct, inimitable tools of videogames—agency, choice, consequence—rather than grafting the flesh of cinema onto a third-person shooter. As a bonus, it does all this while executing sentence-to-sentence writing that is consistently at or beyond the limits of what other games attempt, let alone manage.

I finished it today, and am considering doing a longform review, something I've not done in ages. Everything you say rings true, and if I were to describe Disco Elysium in a single word, it would be this:

Human

In many cases, reducing a work of any medium to a single word may be insulting. In the case of Disco Elysium, to do so is to sing its praises.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
I just lost an hour plus of progress because I haven't been manually saving, been exploring different side quests without getting far enough to autosave, and then, just in some totally mundane interaction with a furnace, I failed a shout check and thought I should kick it to get someone's attention and died in the process. This game is amazing but I'm SO frustrated now hahahahaha. Gonna take a break.

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
I just lost an hour plus of progress because I haven't been manually saving, been exploring different side quests without getting far enough to autosave, and then, just in some totally mundane interaction with a furnace, I failed a shout check and thought I should kick it to get someone's attention and died in the process. This game is amazing but I'm SO frustrated now hahahahaha. Gonna take a break.

That's a lesson for you: if you get frustrated, don't kick stuff. Your character is not a kid anymore (well... ... err... ... depends on the point of view i s'pose, i'll give you that).
an hour of initial progress is easily recouped since you can blaze through dialog, only the max 4-minutes long jog remains. Take heart and continue, the precinct counts on you !

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017

Remembrance

Oct 25, 2017
That's a lesson for you: if you get frustrated, don't kick stuff. Your character is not a kid anymore (well... ... err... ... depends on the point of view i s'pose, i'll give you that).
an hour of initial progress is easily recouped since you can blaze through dialog, only the max 4-minutes long jog remains. Take heart and continue, the precinct counts on you !

Actually, kicking stuff also unlocks a thought...

But it's probably best left to those who can survive doing so.

dreamstation

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Just hit day 3 and a heap of new stuff to do... love how starting a new day feels like a fresh start... I mean it's not like I've had much sleep the past two nights but I can take it... I'm not going to fuck this up...

Deleted member 56580

Banned
May 8, 2019
I think I've run up against the goddammed infamous Shivers check.

MAJOR SPOILER BELOW, YOU VE BEEN WARNED (also dont click if you haven't done side quests around that area)

k16c6Bn.jpg

It went well for me :P

Spoiler bis

you can get the last hidden check by asking the divorced lady on a date

Oct 25, 2017
silly question -- about kuno and a fridge:

I didn't ask Kuno *where* his fridge is because I assumed it was in the shack (in a newly available basement or something) -- but now I can't find it. Any hints?

SleepSmasher

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Gents, for those who tried, how feasible it is to play this game via Steam Link with a controller configuration mapping the necessary mouse and keyboard inputs? Not a Steam Controller, a standard Xbox One gamelas.

Elodes

Looks to the Moon
Nov 1, 2017
The Netherlands
My steam controller isn't overlaying a radial menu, and in fact does nothing when I touch or press the left touch pad. Has anyone else had similar problems for this game?

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
Just got an update for the game on GoG. Wonder what it's for. This platform is always late in terms of update notes.

Avis

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
My shitty drug cop playthrough is going well

I just tried to steal some speed from a potential rape victim before even talking to her. Screwed up the stealth check or whatever and dropped it on the floor, then picked it up nonchalantly right in front of Kim. Then was like "Uhhh I need it for work" and did some right in from of him.
This game has some great unintentional(?) black humor.
I just bought this and I'm enjoying what I played so far. Didn't expect so much political discourse, so I ended up unintentionally roleplaying as a milquetoast Canadian.

ZUMkuaM.png
It's funny how well the achievements reflect your playthrough.
I've only gotten 1: Reach an all time low with Kim.

Edit: Also the skill art in this game makes for great avatars, Gonna try out my current signature skill.

Last edited:

megalowho

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
All done at close to 30 hours, one of the highlights of the year for sure. Went 3-5-2-2 with Perception as signature skill and most points going towards Rhetoric, Drama, Empathy and Suggestion. Ended up a mostly commie superstar cop with a good ending and most tasks completed, though I know there's stuff I missed.

The skill dialogue system alone is worth the price of entry and mostly holds up, endgame railroading and one bs skill check aside. Loved the detailed environments and interiors, subtle animations and surreal artwork. Sound design is strong but the sparse soundtrack left me cold - no disrespect since that's clearly part of the intention, but couldn't help wondering what a composer like Peter McConnell could do if he got his hands on a setting like this.

The writing deserves the praise it's getting, though there's some caveats that linger as I try to formulate my opinion on it all. When it's good it's often sublime, and there's a lot of good stuff to chew on. Rich and lyrical prose, funny descriptions and response options, colorful characters and arguably the most effective portrayal of inner psychology in gaming. But I found myself less enamored whenever it veered into heavy-handed cynicism and snark, unnatural mouthfuls of dialogue and flippant culture shock stuff that never felt fully earned.

Was more willing to hand wave early on since they're trying something ambitious and new but it's present in the game's voice throughout. Not to say that DE is insincere, there's enough humanity wrapped up in the total package to make the dour setting and themes work, but in the end outside of the relationship with Kim I didn't really grow emotionally connected to anything the game presented me with, and I think the tone was a large reason why (and partially some of the VO delivery).

That being said I'm very much looking forward to replaying down the road with different builds. Like a good novel I can see my perspective evolving the more familiar I am with the material. Not a game for everyone and potentially more off-putting than the consensus might suggest, but still a landmark release and a memorable ride.

Djost1kk

Jan 14, 2018
Russia
Started my second playthrough as a thinker and it seems like the most boring way to play so far. No one wants to talk to you and even your brain mostly silent

Oct 27, 2017
Damn it Egghead! I said not to turn it off :-|

Game continues to deliver - my partial redemption of Disco cop in the eyes of his partner and even some of his rivals has been gratifying....

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Loving this game so much right now. Laughed more here than any game in recent memory plus I've had quite a few touching moments as well. Inland Empire and Shivers are wonderful too.

I'm not that far in yet, but I think this could surpass Outer Wilds for my favorite thing from this year and I thought that was a lock.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
I'm loving the art, the music and the writing, the game works as a middle point between a classic point-and-click PC adventure and a CRPG, my main complaint so far is that there is too much "meaningless" text in the game. Most character dialogues are not related at all to the main plot, and some of them are tiring to read or too surreal. It's like most of the lore is not related at all to the main plot and makes reading everything hard at times.

A question to the people that has already finished the game about the duration:

I'm in day 3, I have talked to the Oranje girl on the balcony, explored the coast area fully and sent the body to the investigation team (the 2 police companions have appeared), how much game is left?

Remembrance

Oct 25, 2017
I'm loving the art, the music and the writing, the game works as a middle point between a classic point-and-click PC adventure and a CRPG, my main complaint so far is that there is too much "meaningless" text in the game. Most character dialogues are not related at all to the main plot, and some of them are tiring to read or too surreal. It's like most of the lore is not related at all to the main plot and makes reading everything hard at times.

I'm in day 3, I have talked to the Oranje girl on the balcony, explored the coast area fully and sent the body to the investigation team (the 2 police companions have appeared), how much game is left?

Well, most of the dialogue is for understanding the socioeconomical backgrounds and/or political positions of all the characters in the setting. And frankly what matters here is understanding why the people say and do the things that they are saying and doing.

For putting the mystery together for your own satisfaction, if nothing else...

And you should be able to go to the endgame any time you want at this point, if you pass the right checks.

Shake Appeal

Oct 27, 2017

It depends how many sidequests you've done or plan to do (and what you mean by "explored fully"), but anywhere from 60% to 80%.

SaintBowWow

Oct 25, 2017
I'm on day 4 and there's multiple things my log suggest I inspect but when I interact with them there's no prompt to do anything. I've tried changing outfits and going drugs for relevant stat increases that may generate a new option but no dice so far. Should I just do other things and come back later or am I missing something?

Kim is gone for the day too so that might be related.

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I'm on day 4 and there's multiple things my log suggest I inspect but when I interact with them there's no prompt to do anything. I've tried changing outfits and going drugs for relevant stat increases that may generate a new option but no dice so far. Should I just do other things and come back later or am I missing something?

Generally you can only reattempt white skill checks once you've put another skill point into the relevant skill or you've gained a new modifier for that particular check.

The map tab has a list of all checks that you haven't completed, those that are highlighted in white/lighter grey can be reattempted. If they all look the same shade of grey then you can't reattempt any of them at the moment.

SaintBowWow

Oct 25, 2017
Generally you can only reattempt white skill checks once you've put another skill point into the relevant skill or you've gained a new modifier for that particular check.

The map tab has a list of all checks that you haven't completed, those that are highlighted in white/lighter grey can be reattempted. If they all look the same shade of grey then you can't reattempt any of them at the moment.

That's the thing, there aren't skill checks. There's a billboard and a lorry I'm supposed to inspect but when I do there's just options to look at them which don't lead to anything.

Shake Appeal

Oct 27, 2017

What are the things? You can spoiler tag them if necessary. E.g.,
if it's footprints by the body, you need Kim for that.

Sandersson

Banned
Feb 5, 2018
Okay I just finished the game. What the fuck was that ending? I have never actively started to dislike a good game because of a shitty ending before.. Jeesus christ.. the game honestly feels like a waste of time atm.

Everything feels incomplete, nothing really gets sorted out (even though I cracked the case and motive). It feels like atleast one day is missing where you actually tie everything together. You dont even get a small "what happened to" text or anything. It just "okay, next da-... what...?"

Last edited:

Deleted member 49319

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 4, 2018

Deleted member 49319

Banned
Nov 4, 2018
I finished it today, and am considering doing a longform review, something I've not done in ages. Everything you say rings true, and if I were to describe Disco Elysium in a single word, it would be this:

Human

In many cases, reducing a work of any medium to a single word may be insulting. In the case of Disco Elysium, to do so is to sing its praises.
So on point.
I've been avoiding talking about this game because I am aware it's beyond my capability to use my own words to do this game justice.
First game I ever have this feeling with. It takes a great and crazy mind to accomplish this writing.

dreamstation

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I'm playing it on an i7-3770K, GTX680, 16GB DDR3 and it's fine. The only time frame rate dropped below 30 was a certain dark scene with the flash light and I suspect it was because of all the shadows being produced.

Oct 28, 2017
The game was an awesome ride just until the very end of my 38 hour play through, where it just let go just before the end.

Only managed to touch less than half the thoughts in the Thought Cabinet and was left with 10+ skill points where I didn't know where to put at the end.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
I found ruby in that abandoned factory... but she killed herself after I told her I've to arrest her. Did I just fuck up my run?

Deleted member 49319

Banned
Nov 4, 2018
So how does the protagonist's voice sound in your imagination?
I am reading all his lines in BoJack Horseman's voice since the first moment.

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
All of us posters with avatar pics of the skills should band together and do a performative thread lol

Kilbane65

Oct 27, 2017
Can we talk about one the best world building concepts I've seen in a game in a long time?
I am talking about The Pa*e.
After I've finished the game I spent a couple of days thinking about what part of it made the biggest impression on me.
And it's definitely The Pale. What an amazing concept, so well designed and constructed. It fascinates and terrifies in equal amounts.
Now I've been thinking that I'd love to see this concept explored further, in books, other games, or video (TV/movies).
Just think of how amazing it'd be to see the manifestations of it, both physical and metaphysical, portrayed in other media.

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
I'm thinking of picking this up when I get paid, but I'm also in the camp of 'not sure it will run on my laptop'.

ideally I'd get it on GOG, but I think I may have to go with Steam due to their refund policy. GOG explicitly state that they won't refund due to your PC not meeting the requirements. Mine does meet the minimum, but it makes me uncertain enough to not risk it.

Deleted member 18857

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can we talk about one the best world building concepts I've seen in a game in a long time?
I am talking about The Pa*e.
After I've finished the game I spent a couple of days thinking about what part of it made the biggest impression on me.
And it's definitely The Pale. What an amazing concept, so well designed and constructed. It fascinates and terrifies in equal amounts.
Now I've been thinking that I'd love to see this concept explored further, in books, other games, or video (TV/movies).
Just think of how amazing it'd be to see the manifestations of it, both physical and metaphysical, portrayed in other media.
I have barely seen anything about it in my run... What skill checks are important to learn more about it? Encyclopedia? Inland empire?

Status
Not open for further replies.