• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shake Appeal

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I kinda forgot Planescape. It can hang out in orbit, too, but the magical realist setting of Elysium and all that's happened and happening there just feels a thousand times more relevant to my actual lived experience.

Buttzerker

Powerhouse Protector / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh no doubt. This isn't the best game ever, there are games that are more immersive, have more captivating gameplay etc. But as far as writing goes, nothing (except PsT) comes close to Disco Elysium.

Yeah I can get that. I do think a couple of games have writing in the same bracket, they just aren't as choice-driven.

LISA: The Painful RPG comes to mind in particular.

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
The figures get you an achievement that very few people have gotten on Steam, so this must be trickier than I thought.

You need to take the option to sleep just before confronting the murderer, and then you can offer the figures during a dream sequence. I think you might possibly need to find both of the figures in the game: one is in the pawn shop and the other is in the role-playing game you can buy in the bookstore.

As for the chest armor: you need to find the mug in the trash and then confront Gary with it, which will let you figure out that he put the corpse's clothes in the trash.

Thanks,
When i tried to sleep, I just woke up and got stuck there, bugged... main menu responding but nothing else. (GOG version 33207), i think that's because i tried AFTER initiating the dialog but leaving the murderer before having completed the lines of questioning. I just retried before initiating the dialog and got the vision working properly ... ;)

Duly noted for Gary, i had the mug and showed it to so many people, i may have missed a spot with Gary... or screwed the line of dialog. It's not too important for me... i am no completion-buff and the armour is not really outstanding in attributes... I'll keep that in the back of my head if i ever do a rerun ! (i reloaded a past save, and indeed i unlocked the piece... i feel silly...)

Last edited:

sym30l1c

Oct 25, 2017
I'm in the middle of day 2 and... game is fantastic...the writing is truly exceptional.

Anybody have any idea how you get the ranking in your profile? I assume it's from the answers you give.

I'm playing as a left-wing/communist/anti-establishment cop (9 points as a communist), and I'm surprised I have 2 points as a fascist (and 2 ultraliberal, 3 moralist).
I can't really figure out how any of the answers I gave were anywhere close to being of that kind...

MattyG

Oct 25, 2017
Who/where is
Mañana?

I'm pretty sure I've met them, but I can't remember and I need them for the next step in a quest

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So, is this game more like a visual novel but molded as an RPG?

Oct 25, 2017
So, is this game more like a visual novel but molded as an RPG?
I mean it's an CRPG ass CRPG pretty much everything is handled through skill checks based on your stats, but it doesn't have the combat systems you would normally expect from in a CRPG. I guess I'd say it's good fusion between Silver Case and Planescape Torment.

Last edited:

OtakuCoder

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Are there any easy tips for getting money? I'm on day 2 and need about 6 more Real in the next two in-game hours or so for the hotel room. I already took money from the Pine Woods rep, the ex-trucker dude who runs the little outdor shop, and turned down money from Claire.

How hosed am I if I can't pay for the room?

Remembrance

Oct 25, 2017
Are there any easy tips for getting money? I'm on day 2 and need about 6 more Real in the next two in-game hours or so for the hotel room. I already took money from the Pine Woods rep, the ex-trucker dude who runs the little outdor shop, and turned down money from Claire.

How hosed am I if I can't pay for the room?

1. Get and equip the plastic bag at the bottom of the stairs below the bookstore and you can collect cans and bottles to sell for money.

2. The Pine Woods rep dialogue will unlock a thought (The Fifteenth Indotribe) that generates money from examining everything. Get it ASAP.

Don't worry about the time - time will pretty much stop advancing when it gets late enough.

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
Well now that I got a feel for the game with my rando guy, I think I am going to reroll and pick an archetype I want to play more.

It's generally a good sign when I can't wait to reroll in an RPG.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
So, Disco Elysium settled at 5k concurrent users peak on Steam. I honestly expected MUCH higher considering the hype and anticipation build up pre-release. Even when compared to other CRPGs, it's still pretty low. Pathfinder and Pillars 2 had 22k, even a "failure" like Tides of Numenera had 7k. That said, considering that it's very niche as there's no traditional combat system in the game, and the asking price which is rather high, I guess it's definitely not a failure either. Just not as successful as I was hoping for.

Nonetheless, considering it's the studio's first ever game, I'm happy that it's successful enough for what it is. Looking forward to their next output.

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
This game always had "won't light the charts on fire but will keep selling steadily via word of mouth" written all over it. At least to me. Being as niche as it is I would have been shocked if it sold as well as the "big" name RPGs.

Hopefully, my gut is right and it does sell well enough for the devs to keep working. This game shows they have amazing talent, but the world is a harsh place and it seems even more so for my beloved RPG devs.

benj

Oct 27, 2017
I would be very surprised if this weren't outperforming their expectations. It's an abstruse, dense, all-text, no-combat game that's been comfortably at or near the top of Steam Top Selling since release and is getting critically lauded across the board. It could be doing better, but given the genre, the climate, and the fact that it's the first game from a small studio, I would expect that this looks a lot like their best-case scenario.

gazoinks

Jul 9, 2019
Pathfinder, Pillars, and Tides also have a good degree of reputation and pedigree behind them. DE is the first release by an Estonian team no one's heard of before, associated with a novel currently only available in Estonian. I feel like you're better off comparing the numbers to something like Pathologic than the big marquee CRPG revivals.

MattyG

Oct 25, 2017
So around how long is this actually taking people? I just hit 11 hours and started day 3. Saw some people say it took them 20 which seems potentially low but I can't imaging it taking the, what, 60 that the devs said?

show me your skeleton

#1 Bugsnax Fan
Oct 28, 2017
skeleton land
hopefully the utterly fantastic opencritic score will point people in its direction, plus it'll end up on some classy best-of lists near the end of the year. i'll probably double dip should it come to console too for what it's worth.

Stoze

Oct 26, 2017
So around how long is this actually taking people? I just hit 11 hours and started day 3. Saw some people say it took them 20 which seems potentially low but I can't imaging it taking the, what, 60 that the devs said?
It seems like most are finishing in the 20-30 range. The 60-90 estimate was way off base, and to be honest I'm glad its not that long. I think there's probably 60-90 hours worth of unique content in there across multiple playthroughs though.

I'm a slow reader and very meticulous though so I'm going through at kind of a glacial pace. I also leave it on all the damn time alt-tabbed to take breaks (like right now) so I don't really have a good indicator of my playtime.

MattyG

Oct 25, 2017
It seems like most are finishing in the 20-30 range. The 60-90 estimate was way off base, and to be honest I'm glad its not that long. I think there's probably 60-90 hours worth of unique content across multiple playthroughs though.
That's relieving. As much as I love the game, I want to be able to finish it before other stuff I'm excited about hits. 20-30 hours I can do.

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
This game is overwhelming. I have no idea what's happening, but it sorta feels like that's intentional. Will it click eventually?

As you progress through the game, more things will be made clear. The protagonist you control does have amnesia, due to all that alcohol consumption. You're with him for the ride as he rediscovers his memories and his knowledge of the world. I'm still very early in the game (middle of Day 1), but I've experienced dialogue that made the politics of Revachol and my role as a detective a bit more clear. I still have a lot of questions, but am confident I can uncover most of the answers over time.

Shake Appeal

Oct 27, 2017
It took me 30 hours, and I'm a pretty painstaking/completionist player. I did immediately start a new game, though.

OtakuCoder

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
UK
1. Get and equip the plastic bag at the bottom of the stairs below the bookstore and you can collect cans and bottles to sell for money.

2. The Pine Woods rep dialogue will unlock a thought (The Fifteenth Indotribe) that generates money from examining everything. Get it ASAP.

Don't worry about the time - time will pretty much stop advancing when it gets late enough.

Awesome, thanks. I think I've exhausted every dialogue with the rep, so I might have missed out on my chance there.

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019

24 hours for me... almost to the minute, i completed every quest i could find. 3 were left unresolved in first end because i missed one line of dialog and stumbled upon one bug, 2 load saves later i solved all of them thanks to people here.

So i could complete all except 1... because i am a recovering addict. You know the one.

laoni

Oct 25, 2017

Steam has 19hrs on my playtime, I had a few glitches that caused me to lose hours of progress too. I'm a really fast reader, though, and I talked to everyone and cleared up every sidequest I found. I didn't always exhaust every dialogue tree though, because for some things, there were lines I didn't want to pursue. I never really begged for money, and anything regarding
Your ex
I really tried to avoid.

Kim is my MVP, though. <3

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
This game is even more amazing than I thought. I decided to roll as a big dumb brute fuckup and some of the reactions have been amazing. I will be temporarily dropping the game when the Outer Worlds hits, but I can already tell I will be doing a few playthroughs with different builds in the future.

Silence_and_I

May 7, 2018
I just finished the game after 46 hours of playtime. And I have some questions regarding the story and the ending. If you haven't finished the game please don't read the spoiler.

1. Is there any outcome that you get to arrest Ruby and talk to her normally? Or does she flee in all the outcomes?

2. Is there a way to stop the mass murder in the center of the city? In my playthrough I didn't have my gun on me so 6 of them died, I guess if I had it there would have been a way to stop the shooters from killing the Hardie Boys?

3. How do you find your gun? I didn't run the errands Evrat and Joyce asked me to do, so I never figured out a way to find my gun.

4. What's the deal with Evrat and Edgar? I found evidence against them near the end. How important their storyline is to the game and how long is it?

5. I didn't get Joyce to talk and she left with her boat. What type of information would she give me?

6. Where was Little Lily located? I almost searched every single corner of the map but didn't find her. Is this some sort of bug? Or is it related to the storylines that I didn't undertake?

The reason I didn't want to get involved with Joyce and Evrat was that both of them were corrupt and I didn't want to become their errand boy. I solved the case in the end but I felt cheated about the gun, the story behind those two brothers and not finding Little Lily. I also wished the game would let you free roam after the ending. I still had some side missions and white checks to take care of. But overall it was a great experience and I truly enjoyed it.

Last edited:

gazoinks

Jul 9, 2019
I would die for Kim Kitsuragi
3wUdOnV.jpg

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
I keep hearing people discuss this game as an RPG that follows a more robust role-playing tradition than most video game RPGs do, but that doesn't quite fit for me. To me, the game feels more like an adventure game you experience through the lens of an RPG character. Kim is, more or less, your liaison in negotiating that relationship between the adventure and the RPG.

I dunno. I might be off base here.

gazoinks

Jul 9, 2019
I keep hearing people discuss this game as an RPG that follows a more robust role-playing tradition than most video game RPGs do, but that doesn't quite fit for me. To me, the game feels more like an adventure game you experience through the lens of an RPG character. Kim is, more or less, your liaison in negotiating that relationship between the adventure and the RPG.

I dunno. I might be off base here.
To me the game feels a lot like more story-based tabletop RPGs, particularly Apocalypse World. It's actually really reminiscent (right down to the 2d6 system), and I'm curious if the devs drew inspiration from it. It's really pretty in line with my favorite kind of experiences in tabletop RPGs (very story and dialog-heavy, not much fighting), but is an odd thing for a computer game and definitely feels like it turns into a bit of an adventure game due to video game genre conventions.

laoni

Oct 25, 2017
I just finished the game after 46 hours of playtime. And I have some questions regarding the story and the ending. If you haven't finished the game please don't read the spoiler.

1. Is there any outcome that you get to arrest Ruby and talk to her normally? Or does she flee in all the outcomes?

2. Is there a way to stop the mass murder in the center of the city? In my playthrough I didn't have my gun on me so 6 of them died, I guess if I had it there would have been a way to stop the shooters from killing the Hardie Boys?

3. How do you find your gun? I didn't run the errands Evrat and Joyce asked me to do, so I never figured out a way to find my gun.

4. What's the deal with Evrat and Edgar? I found evidence against them near the end. How important their storyline is to the game and how long is it?

5. I didn't get Joyce to talk and she left with her boat. What type of information would she give me?

6. Where was Little Lily located? I almost searched every single corner of the map but didn't find her. Is this some sort of bug? Or is it related to the storylines that I didn't undertake?

The reason I didn't want to get involved with Joyce and Evrat was that both of them were corrupt and I didn't want to become their errand boy. I solved the case in the end but I felt cheated about the gun, the story behind those two brothers and not finding Little Lily. I also wished the game would let you free roam after the ending. I still had some side missions and white checks to take care of. But overall it was a great experience and I truly enjoyed it.

1. If you successfully knock out her ULAN wave cannon, she goes to commit suicide, you can talk her down, and you get an option to arrest her then. I let her flee though so I can't be sure she doesn't run if you try to arrest her there.

2. The tribunal is scripted, but the people who die can change. Titus, Lizzie and Kim I know can die/live depending on what happens. I succeeded every check and had my gun, and still 3 Hardie Boys died, along with all 3 mercenaries

3. I did the errands for Evrat, after you finish the second one he tells you who has your gun.

4. Edgar and Evrat swap leadership of the Union between one another so they have constant control. I think it was Edgar, they met with the revolutionary on the island, and talked communism with him, but they didn't have the same opinions. Still tghey convinced him to kill the previous head of the Union, who went missing. Edgar and Evrat intend to take over the Harbour so that they control the flow of goods, without the Pines controlling it. They'll lose a lot of the contracts because they're no longer Pines, but intend to supplement the income of the Harbour with drug smuggling. They also kidnapped the previous Pines negotiator to help create the current situation

5. On the Pines front, she'll tell you about how the Pines company hired the mercenaries, and how she's been getting info from them on your goingson, but also how they plan on doing the tribunal. She likens it to wasps inside a beehive, the mercs were out of control from Pines after Lely's death/lynching, and were out for blood, it was only a matter of time before a 'war' broke out between the Pines mercs and the thousands of dockworkers ready to lay down thier lives for Edgar/Evrat's cause. On hearing what Edgar and Evrat planned for the harbour, and how they were encouraging this war, she declares that Pines will pull out peacefully, and let Edgar/Evrat keep the harbour to stop bloodshed/stop uprisings in other ports. The main conversations I had with her though was about the Pale, like a reality-warping horror fog that lies in between every continent, which is slowly expanding and eating away at existence. A later check elsewhere implies that YOU are the cause of the Pale.

6. I must have missed the Little Lily storyline entirely, cause I'm not sure what this is referring to!

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Reading the spoilers here and the spoilers thread, it's amazing that my experience and outcome with the game are vastly different from others.

SaintBowWow

Oct 25, 2017
I declined to use a drug during an electrochemistry conversation and now I seem to be unable to use it ever. It said I could try again in a few hours but a day has passed and I still can't use it.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
Ok y'all - who here has a starting stat setup that they are loving?

I went with 4422 and at 8 hours in am considering starting over as it just doesn't seem to be playing at all like I expected.

i want a Sherlock type intellectual with high points in either shivers or inland empire, but what I've made is NOT that lol.

any tips are appreciated. I'm going to restart later tonight regardless

Last edited:

Remembrance

Oct 25, 2017
Oo y'all - who here has a starting stat setup that they are loving?

I went with 4422 and at 8 hours in am considering starting over as it just doesn't seem to be playing at all like I expected.

i want a Sherlock type intellectual with high pints in either shivers or inland empire but what I've made is NOT that lol.

any tips appreciated. I'm going to restart later tonight regardless

If you want to be Sherlock then you need mainly Visual Calculus and Perception, which does not necessarily call for the INT and MOT stats as a whole to be high. These are the main skills that let you observe clues you can't find any other way. With Perception at 2... a lot of objects won't even be highlighted for you to interact with.

Interfacing is also surprisingly useful for giving you information about how things work.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So gonna make a HDB inspired character for the Outer Worlds this coming week.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
If you want to be Sherlock then you need mainly Visual Calculus and Perception, which does not necessarily call for the INT and MOT stats as a whole to be high. These are the main skills that let you observe clues you can't find any other way. With Perception at 2... a lot of objects won't even be highlighted for you to interact with.

Interfacing is also surprisingly useful for giving you information about how things work.

thanks for this - I'll look at putting points toward what you listed above. Is the special skill point you get important or should I just put that into whatever?

benj

Oct 27, 2017
does anyone remember (Joyce conversation spoilers)
how to get Joyce to talk about the pale?

Stoze

Oct 26, 2017
Ok y'all - who here has a starting stat setup that they are loving?

i want a Sherlock type intellectual with high points in either shivers or inland empire, but what I've made is NOT that lol.

any tips are appreciated. I'm going to restart later tonight regardless
I would go go 4224 with a signature skill in Inland or Shivers.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
I would go go 4224 with a signature skill in Inland or Shivers.

damn that sounds so close to 4422 lol!!
Thanks for the help I'm gonna roll with this. And I think shivers because I've seen a lot of peeps in here talking it up.

you know, it would also be fun to play a complete idiot sometime also, since the game is built to allow for that and incorporate it.

I am pretty amazed at the depth of the options you are given. The game seems highly replayable which is said about a lot of games but I don't find to actually be true most of the time

Stoze

Oct 26, 2017
damn that sounds so close to 4422 lol!!
Thanks for the help I'm gonna roll with this. And I think shivers because I've seen a lot of peeps in here talking it up.

you know, it would also be fun to play a complete idiot sometime also, since the game is built to allow for that and incorporate it.

I am pretty amazed at the depth of the options you are given. The game seems highly replayable which is said about a lot of games but I don't find to actually be true most of the time
You could go 5214 to get a little further away from your other build, that would mean the Physical skills would almost never talk to you (except for Electrochemistry since your starting items have bonuses for it).

Either way once you really get into the game you'll really be able to sink points in and tweak skills individually so don't sweat it too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.