• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
It really upends RPG design tropes in favor of making you act like an actual person, which I appreciate. You can try to exhaust every dialog tree, but it's probably not going to end well for everyone. Same thing with the skill system. I love that a lot of the time it's not just "do a skill check and win", but instead your skill giving you advice that you then have to decide whether or not to follow. Not to mention succeeding on checks not always being a good thing either.
Pretty much you have to think of not exhausting every options as an actual choice as well. Compared to a lot of games where it would just be leaving something left unread.

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
Had the chance to play some this morning before work and now I'm staring at the clock waiting to play more. Doesn't help that I only just left the hostel before I had to stop playing.

Buttzerker

Powerhouse Protector / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My half-light skill convinced me that I was not a ballerina, and I chickened out...
I was tempted to reset SO HARD.
What happens if you do it?

You knock him the fuck out and he starts treating you differently after.

I wound up making him get the body down from the tree for me.

Bonus result:

56c8e445bdc4f02616b323f6ec7d53b4.png

The Cellar Letters

lmayo
Oct 25, 2017
This is probably going to end up being my GOTY.
Had one REALLY bad bug that wouldn't let me save my game and I lost like 3 hours of progress. That sucked. But everything else has been so goooooood. Only had to savescum once so far. Hoping to keep that to a minimum lol

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
I do agree with the mention above that the game really needs WASD (preferably) or arrow key camera control.

Having to walk my dude halfway across a room just to see if there's any interactables on that side feels needlessly laborious.

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I do agree with the mention above that the game really needs WASD (preferably) or arrow key camera control.

Having to walk my dude halfway across a room just to see if there's any interactables on that side feels needlessly laborious.
There's a thought that lets you zoom out more, if that helps. It's very thematic.

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Also, in case anyone missed it, you can just press spacebar to activate the self-orbs (orbiting your main character).

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I'm not sure if I understand how this "thought" mechanic works. It's like learning skills by equipping them.

But then, there's also this internal thought that may completely wipe everything out with an "opt in". What the.

SaintBowWow

Oct 25, 2017
All stats related to my body are garbage and in never going to be able to inspect this body without ralphing

King_Britain

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Went heavy into the suggestion talent although I've not really seen it effect anything. Maybe it's bad rolls on skill checks but my guy is a sorry loser at everything so far.

He almost killed himself failing to beak down a door but none the less I'm having great fun.

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I'm not sure if I understand how this "thought" mechanic works. It's like learning skills by equipping them.

But then, there's also this internal thought that may completely wipe everything out with an "opt in". What the.
They're like perks. You gain them through your interactions and then spend in-game time to "internalize" them and gain their effects (mechanical and a a few extra dialog options in relevant situations).
All stats related to my body are garbage and in never going to be able to inspect this body without ralphing
You also don't really have to. Kim's just a big ol' nerd who wants to do police stuff and not see the bigger picture.
Went heavy into the suggestion talent although I've not really seen it effect anything. Maybe it's bad rolls on skill checks but my guy is a sorry loser at everything so far.

He almost killed himself failing to beak down a door but none the less I'm having great fun.
It doesn't come up as often as Empathy, but it gives you useful hints in dialog. Just talk to more people.

shodgson8

Aug 22, 2018
As others have mentioned the dialogue in this is just crazy in the best possible way.

I am really early on but it can fell pretty overwhelming at times in terms of density. Games just don't feel like this anymore.

Going to get my steam controller set up & make a good config for playing this away from the PC, really appreciate the text size option for this.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
They're like perks. You gain them through your interactions and then spend in-game time to "internalize" them and gain their effects (mechanical and a a few extra dialog options in relevant situations).
I see. Then what's the deal with the "opt-ins" then? I chose it once and everything is just wiped and I couldn't learn them again. For example, that volumetric shit compressor that's required for a task. I haven't completely internalized it and then it's just gone. I reloaded an earlier save after I learned that.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm conflicted on how I want to play my character on the first run.

I put a couple hours in last night trying to play it straight. Just generally being a sober (lol) personality fully understanding that I'm flawed as hell yet trying to make the best of it.

But man, some of the more outrageous & grandiose dialogue options are making me wonder if I should play a bat-s**t insane fool. Seems way more adventurous and entertaining.

Decisions decisions.

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I see. Then what's the deal with the "opt-ins" then? I chose it once and everything is just wiped and I couldn't learn them again. For example, that volumetric shit compressor that's required for a task. I haven't completely internalized it and then it's just gone. I reloaded an earlier save after I learned that.
That's how you unlock some of them, I don't think it should make them disappear after you've already unlocked them though.

Like if you talk about communist stuff, you'll get the option to get really into it (opt in) and then you unlock the thought cabinet project for that.

gazoinks

Jul 9, 2019
I'm conflicted on how I want to play my character on the first run.

I put a couple hours in last night trying to play it straight. Just generally being a sober (lol) personality fully understanding that I'm flawed as hell yet trying to make the best of it.

But man, some of the more outrageous & grandiose dialogue options are making me wonder if I should play a bat-s**t insane fool. Seems way more adventurous and entertaining.

Decisions decisions.
Haha yeah, I'm definitely already seeing tons of different threads I want to poke at when I replay with a different character. I'm roleplaying as a very earnest, very intelligent cop who is probably too emotional about everything and rather unstable but is doing his best to hold it together. I want to go back through as a meathead.

Oct 25, 2017
Early game question
How do I get into the harbour from the roofs? I went through Cuno's shack and they implied that I could somehow get into the harbour area this way but I can't figure out how

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
That's how you unlock some of them, I don't think it should make them disappear after you've already unlocked them though.

Like if you talk about communist stuff, you'll get the option to get really into it (opt in) and then you unlock the thought cabinet project for that.
So to put it simply, I shouldn't opt in to a new thought before completing all of my currently internalizing thoughts?

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
As far as I know opting in should just unlock another one and shouldn't affect the process of whatever your currently internalizing. Maybe someone can correct me here.
Hmm I see. There was probably something else going on back then, or it's just a bug.

I simply couldn't learn that volumetric shit compressor thought anymore. I wish I still have the save file and/or a screenshot.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
Legit played for like twelve straight hours yesterday. God. That time flew by. Haven't experienced that with a game in a long time. I couldn't stop even when things got a bit fetch questy.

I was at the end of day two interrogating a certain someone, cutting right down to the very end of things, and I had multiple thoughts interceding with conflicting ways to proceed. And I thought that was exactly what this game was about. It was stunning. I truly didn't know whether to believe them or my own brain or not. It was astounding writing.

Right now I'm building up a super-sorry superstar 'moralist' communist cop right at the beginning of day 3, ready to explore the other side. Only have 4 real in my pocket so gotta scrounge for bottles to make rent otherwise I'll be hobocop too lol. Can't wait to get home from work and keep going. I have a feeling I'm gonna err on 90 hour side of completion with this one lol.

This is pretty much the exact follow up to Fallout 1/2 that I've always wanted. And you can see that inspiration pretty clearly even though this is obviously it's own thing.

Also I absolutely love how incredulous Ken or other characters get when you just say or do just the most wacky stupid shit.

Anyway, I can't stop raving about this game because it's one of those small inspired miracles like a Morrowind, New Vegas, or Planescape made by passionate and hard working devs that don't come along very often at all.

It's an achievement in the medium. Probably my GOTY

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2018
I love how you can decide to disregard aspects of your characters previous self. The more I find out the more it seems like he was a real piece of shit.

It's really an interesting way to shape a character.

nemorrhoids

Oct 22, 2018
I've played a couple of hours and I'm already considering restarting to see how things play differently. I'm trying to play as a super drug addled rockstar type but I feel I'm being a little inconsistent with the archetype. I know I just gotta push through and let myself be more fluid. No need to minmax this game or anything.
It's fucking fantastic so far though. I am loving it.

Lausebub

Nov 4, 2017
DON'T FORGET TO SAVE

Just started the game and died after 40 minutes without saving and have to create a new character now....

But I like the game so far.

Saganator

Oct 26, 2017
I loved how I could tell my character to swallow emotions that popup sometimes. Makes me wonder if you end up blowing up if you keep bottling your thoughts and feelings

ara

Oct 26, 2017
I don't have much to say about the soundtrack so far, other than that I really dislike the loud, high-pitched horn (?) at the beginning of the song that plays outside the starting motel. I dunno what it is, but the sound is just incredibly irritating to me.

Oct 27, 2017
So ive never really played too many games like this, but I dropped 4 hours straight yesterday and cant wait to play more.

Butttt....I have no idea what im doing with my character stats. Think its ok to just wing it, or will i hit some impossible walls because i didnt spec right?

Menome

Oct 25, 2017
My first death came from double bird-flipping a guy whilst gliding through the air and colliding with a woman in a wheelchair.

GOTG.

Earthed

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Sep 26, 2019
This game is like really fucking good. I hope there's as much replayability as there seems to be, because I'd totally be up for another playthrough after I'm done with it.

Also, it runs pretty alright on my mx250. Hovering around 30 fps with max settings and 2x AA.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So ive never really played too many games like this, but I dropped 4 hours straight yesterday and cant wait to play more.

Butttt....I have no idea what im doing with my character stats. Think its ok to just wing it, or will i hit some impossible walls because i didnt spec right?

There are always ways around. Just role-play it and see what happens.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
I bought the game sight unseen yesterday just to support the devs. I probably won't get around to playing it for around 6 months, maybe a year even, but I figured they deserved the support.

Status
Not open for further replies.