• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remembrance

Oct 25, 2017
On a positive note:

I really appreciate that the game lets you go all the way with Boring Cop and actually give you the options you want for trying to be a stable person (with only a couple of choices out of many so far where you only have shitpost options).

By far the most gratifying experience has been seeing a conversation completely shaped by multiple skills cooperating - it's obvious why they put complementary skills in different sets rather than the same here. Especially interesting to see the details that half-light and shivers are always adding on to scenes. (Shivers is not what I expected at all, from the description, but it's been 1000% more interesting than inland empire.)

I took composure as my signature skill because I was annoyed that a conversation skill was in motorics, and I wanted it. It's not game changing but I like having the bits that it fills in - I think I want to gradually put points into all the "fill out conversation aspects" skills as I go.

eddy

Oct 25, 2017
This game's got about fifty novels worth of text in it, gonna have to be okay with a few typos.

Yes. I've seen a few, mostly things where one valid word has been replaced with another and wouldn't stand out in a basic check.

Case in point: "To get DO the coast ... "

l2RWWuP.png

lazerfox

Oct 26, 2017
Switzerland
Thanks to this game I can't get this song out of my head. There better be a reagge related location in the Jamrock district or I will be disappointed.

Everything has been insane so far I love it.

Remembrance

Oct 25, 2017
I have reinstalled, but the new game option still doesn't work. Guess I'm not playing at all until some kind of fix releases.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I have reinstalled, but the new game option still doesn't work. Guess I'm not playing at all until some kind of fix releases.

You could try finding the save folder and deleting anything in it. Since any lingering stuff from the first install would probably be in there.

eddy

Oct 25, 2017

Usually when stuff like this is broken on release it's because devs hasn't properly considered i18n issues, and you have an account name with non-ascii in it or something like that that's not being handled correctly.

The game saves local stuff in "C:\Users\<ACCOUNT NAME>\AppData\LocalLow\ZAUM Studio". After uninstalling, make sure this "ZAUM Studio" directory does not exist. If you ran the game as administrator, it may not have been cleaned up correctly and have the wrong permissions, and hence no amount of "reinstalling" will solve it. The whole point of the "LocalLow" directory is for files which can be read with a lower access level.

(For anyone wondering, saves end up as zip files in "SaveGames" under that location. Looks like it's plain JSON and serialized Lua files inside, so probably relatively easy to edit/fix things)

Last edited:

Anoxida

Oct 30, 2017
Need some help

How do I get the body down if I cant stomach the smell? They said something about the gardener girl but I'm on day 2 and she wont talk to me about that now so I'm stumped.

Viken

Teyvat Traveler
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Should I try to min-max or just go with what seems interesting?

This is my first time with a game of this type, I kinda want to give it a shot. Followed it for a while and bought it hoping ti will unlock other avenues of gaming for me, especially as I get older and the reflexes are not as good as they used to be.

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
Should I try to min-max or just go with what seems interesting?

This is my first time with a game of this type, I kinda want to give it a shot. Followed it for a while and bought it hoping ti will unlock other avenues of gaming for me, especially as I get older and the reflexes are not as good as they used to be.
100% go with what you want or seem s interesting. I would only min max if it conforms to a role or archetype you want to role play as. Don't try and min max to get the "best" results. Success and failure are both interesting outcomes in this game.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Need some help

How do I get the body down if I cant stomach the smell? They said something about the gardener girl but I'm on day 2 and she wont talk to me about that now so I'm stumped.

Once you internalize the Volumetric Shit Compressor Thought, it will give you a massive bonus to resist the smell

BeeDog

Oct 26, 2017
The writing seems damn good, but I'm bummed out I seem to see at least one spelling error in every screencap. For a game that requires so much reading, that takes me out of the experience. Either way, not a real buzzkill in any way, and I'll grab it when my next salary hits!

eddy

Oct 25, 2017
The writing seems damn good, but I'm bummed out I seem to see at least one spelling error in every screencap. For a game that requires so much reading, that takes me out of the experience. Either way, not a real buzzkill in any way, and I'll grab it when my next salary hits!

Unfortunately "Grammar Cop" is not an option :-p

Mar 29, 2018
Are the skill checks randomized or pre-determined?
Seems randomized, but I haven't been reloading a lot so I don't have a lot of data points.
Randomised, it's a dice roll. Red ones you can't retake (usually mid dialogue), white ones you can.

Is time an actual concern in the game, does anybody know?
I hope not
I'm early, but I have a hunch it will be important later

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Man, anyone else get a conversation part when ringing all the different doorbells at the building just outside of where you start to the left? I almost didn't notice it but there's a little "box" on the wall near the locked door you can interact with to call a bunch of different people in that building.

It threw me for a loop and I'm wondering if I missed something.

I rung a doorbell and an old woman answered and it remarked how the voice sounded old and like something was strange. She assumed I was someone named "Michael" and I went along with it. Then I decided to ring it again and you realize it's a recording but this time there's a check on it and if you roll it right you can continue to listen and hear some other woman's voice and it make sit seem like something....strange is going on. Your partner comments that it is some ancient message that was lost in the circuits and you get a "strange" feeling from listening to it.

Now what threw me off is that when this kind of thing has happened before it usually results in a "thought" forming that you can think about, however after that I didn't get anything, no thought or anything came up afterwards. It just seemed like maybe I missed something? Anyone else experience this?

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Have you explored the area behind the book store (i.e through the door)? Sounds like it ties into that.

It's not the book store, it's the building that's right to the left of the path you take to go where the body is, there's a locked door you can't go in and there's a small box on the wall that you can interact with to ring various people/companies in that building.

eddy

Oct 25, 2017
It's not the book store, it's the building that's right to the left of the path you take to go where the body is, there's a locked door you can't go in and there's a small box on the wall that you can interact with to ring various people/companies in that building.

I'm not going to spoil it, but that door will open eventually and it sounds like that message ties into what's behind there. Just keep playing is my advice, you're not missing anything AFAIK.

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I'm not going to spoil it, but that door will open eventually and it sounds like that message ties into what's behind there. Just keep playing is my advice.

Ah ok thanks, I just wanted to know that I didn't somehow miss out on getting a thought from it or something.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Seems randomized, but I haven't been reloading a lot so I don't have a lot of data points.
Randomised, it's a dice roll. Red ones you can't retake (usually mid dialogue), white ones you can.
Alright, I guess I'm just super unlucky. I tried save scumming to lie about my gun at 72% and it always failed.

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
This seems very intriguing, i know it sounds boring but is there any talk about a console port?

eddy

Oct 25, 2017
Alright, I guess I'm just super unlucky. I tried save scumming to lie about my gun at 72% and it always failed.

I know I managed to swing at Measurehead on a 17%, then failed the same action on a reload. May be a combination, or something I did (changing clothes?) pumped the PRNG. <shrug>

Shake Appeal

Oct 27, 2017
So regarding the autopsy:

Who all managed to find the secret bullet? I was so happy to finally impress Kim after spending the whole first day being an obnoxious drunk lmao.
Yeah, this was my favorite moment that I've played so far.

I wasted a bunch of time in the middle of the day running around the container yard (and struggling to approach the body because of my FYS 1), and I was worried I might not be able to get the autopsy done at all before the sun went down. It was awesome to finally tag-team that (highly professional) autopsy with Kim in the long shadows of evening, and that bullet reveal felt like a reward for being thorough and paying close attention ("So his neck didn't break, but there were no claw marks, even though his hands weren't tied?"). I like that the game lets you be competent when it matters, and it isn't always just a "what's the wackiest response I can take to this situation" simulator. It felt like a true crime-scene investigation like nothing else I've played, and I play just about anything with the word "detective" in the description.

Twinsen64

Banned
Mar 9, 2018
I'm thoroughly enjoying this game, genuinely laughed out loud many times so far which keeps it fresh.

Quick question - I'm talking to everyone as much as possible, I notice the time of day progresses during conversation, do I have enough time to talk and interact with everybody or do I need to be careful? Don't want to miss out on any of the dialogue it's superb.

Also I absolutely love the art style, so much effort has been poured into every nook.

DiscoThunder

May 7, 2019
This sounds right up my alley. Is the text size configurable? Planning to play on a 65" from about 3 meters away.

eddy

Oct 25, 2017
This sounds right up my alley. Is the text size configurable? Planning to play on a 65" from about 3 meters away.

Yes, three size options. They also did it right and have the dialog split the screen down the vertical (to the right) instead of mostly horizontal (at the bottom) as say the infinity engine games did.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
2 hours later, my plan to become a good and well-mannered detective has just fallen apart. Screw it, I'll deal with everything and see where it goes.

Remembrance

Oct 25, 2017
Usually when stuff like this is broken on release it's because devs hasn't properly considered i18n issues, and you have an account name with non-ascii in it or something like that that's not being handled correctly.

The game saves local stuff in "C:\Users\<ACCOUNT NAME>\AppData\LocalLow\ZAUM Studio". After uninstalling, make sure this "ZAUM Studio" directory does not exist. If you ran the game as administrator, it may not have been cleaned up correctly and have the wrong permissions, and hence no amount of "reinstalling" will solve it. The whole point of the "LocalLow" directory is for files which can be read with a lower access level.

(For anyone wondering, saves end up as zip files in "SaveGames" under that location. Looks like it's plain JSON and serialized Lua files inside, so probably relatively easy to edit/fix things)

That is strange because my account name was just plain text... But deleting the folder did fix it, thanks!

Before deleting it, I checked whether json and lua files were in the SaveGames folder... There was just a 0kb json file and no lua file at all. I don't think this was salvageable.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
Beyond what's already been said about the quality of writing and overall visuals, I can't get over how thoughtful the UI integration is. Like when you flip between your Inventory or Quest Log, the (static) menus have this animation with slight shakes and color changes. These finer details make me think this title was so lovingly crafted.

Simply floored at this point.

Deleted member 18857

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Quick question - I'm talking to everyone as much as possible, I notice the time of day progresses during conversation, do I have enough time to talk and interact with everybody or do I need to be careful? Don't want to miss out on any of the dialogue it's superb.
I feel like completing the dialogue tree of all characters might not be wise. Not only because you may waste time, but also because you may annoy the character, which gives you maluses with skill checks on this character (I was trying to convince a character to give me the cigarette he was smoking, which made him disgusted in me and gave me a -1 in the whole interaction).
I think that like everything else in the game, you need to decide a certain way you want to be and go for it.
Or maybe the way you want to be is "super-talkative guy", and accept that it also comes with bad stuff.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Beyond what's already been said about the quality of writing and overall visuals, I can't get over how thoughtful the UI integration is. Like when you flip between your Inventory or Quest Log, the (static) menus have this animation with slight shakes and color changes. These finer details make me think this title was so lovingly crafted.

The UI in general is very clear with information which is nice.

gazoinks

Jul 9, 2019

Even subtle stuff like the visual effect when you use skills are so well executed. And Visual Calculus! So cool!

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like completing the dialogue tree of all characters might not be wise. Not only because you may waste time, but also because you may annoy the character, which gives you maluses with skill checks on this character (I was trying to convince a character to give me the cigarette he was smoking, which made him disgusted in me and gave me a -1 in the whole interaction).
I think that like everything else in the game, you need to decide a certain way you want to be and go for it.
Or maybe the way you want to be is "super-talkative guy", and accept that it also comes with bad stuff.

I'm getting this impression as well.

It's hard to shake the ingrained habit of exhausting the entire dialogue tree in each NPC interaction. We've been doing it in every rpg for decades.

But I think Disco wants you to really think about your interview with people. Some things really are better left unsaid and it puts the onus on you to 'read the room' to feel out how an NPC is tracking with a conversation.

Bold design, imo. Gives it an air of genuine authenticity.

gazoinks

Jul 9, 2019
I'm getting this impression as well.

It's hard to shake the ingrained habit of exhausting the entire dialogue tree in each NPC interaction. We've been doing it in every rpg for decades.

But I think Disco wants you to really think about your interview with people. Some things really are better left unsaid and it puts the onus on you to 'read the room' to feel out how an NPC is tracking with a conversation.

Bold design, imo. Gives it an air of genuine authenticity.
It really upends RPG design tropes in favor of making you act like an actual person, which I appreciate. You can try to exhaust every dialog tree, but it's probably not going to end well for everyone. Same thing with the skill system. I love that a lot of the time it's not just "do a skill check and win", but instead your skill giving you advice that you then have to decide whether or not to follow. Not to mention succeeding on checks not always being a good thing either.

Buttzerker

Powerhouse Protector / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you didn't spin kick Measurehead in the face you are not a true APOCALYPTIC COP

painey

Oct 27, 2017
REALLY enjoying this and glad I jumped on, especially as my graphical woes I foresaw playing on a laptop are nowhere to be be seen. It runs beautifully, even if it does make my laptop very hot.

I love that the game treats you like an adult - it makes me realize how many games don't. My only qualm is that whenever you get certain long dialogue choices, I get the feeling sometimes like it's a buzzfeed quiz asking "what country are you?" and the options are fish and chips or pizza. A lot of options just seem very odd, especially spouting off pro communist things. I feel like it lets you go strangely political for a reason that doesn't quite make sense (yet?)

Status
Not open for further replies.