• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Damn, I lost because I asked my brain why I was sent on this task, failed the Logic roll and then said "I'm bad at everything", caused my morale to hit 0 and instantly lose me the game. I lost over half an hour of gameplay from that. We're back to quicksaving all the time, people...

I went with the default intelligence build. Oddly it doesn't make you a total Vulcan, there are quite a few interpersonal skills under INT too.

CHC

Oct 27, 2017
Bought it because we need more games like this

Really excited
Spoilers for the first 15 minutes of the game:

I rolled up a character that dumped both physical stats, woke up in my apartment hung over, turned on the overhead light, stared straight at it, and died of a heart attack in the first five minutes of the game.

This game is incredible.

Dude this is so funny it almost gave me a heart attack

Good lord

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
All skills are used. Some are hidden checks some are not. Even something like Endurance effects discussion. Half Light and Drama and Persuasion are good.
As are visual calcules and logic. However there is simply no best skill for many things

ok so basically just do whatever and it will work out one way or another! Seems you can't have everything no matter what. Thanks for the response. I'm gonna roll with it and not stress.

I am very excited to play tonight. I was hesitant overall due to there not being traditional battles but from what I've read the game is badass without them.

I hope the music is amazing - that's one of my favorite aspects of any game :)

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
This game is fucking incredible.

Hilarious arguing with the manager over the money I owe for the hostel.

Also, this bit

PgKVeGc.png

gazoinks

Jul 9, 2019
This is going well.
I tried to punch a kid, missed, fell over, and died of a heart attack.

CHC

Oct 27, 2017
I am going to be playing as Nicky Belane from Charles Bukowski's Pulp

"My flesh looked like it wasn't trying. It looked like it hated being part of me."
"Existence was not only absurd, it was plain hard work. Think of how many times you put on your underwear in a lifetime. It was appalling, it was disgusting, it was stupid."
"I sat down and found half a dead cigar in the ashtray. I lit it up, took a drag, gagged. Tried it again. Not too bad."
"I wasn't going anywhere and neither was the rest of the world. We were all just hanging around waiting to die and meanwhile doing little things to fill the space. Some of us weren't even doing little things."

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
2 hours in and finding it to be everything I wanted and more! Loving the writing. Speaking of I hope the translation of Kurvitz's novel is hot on the heels of this game. I want more of this writing.

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I love this. The intricacy of the inventory interaction is amazing and very Torment-like....I read through my binder and it affected me in some ways I wasn't expecting. Played two hours and barely moved past the first few rooms.

Sloane

Oct 25, 2017
I'm going hard psychological.
5511 baby +Inland Empire

Talk to me, my sweet sweet tie
Yeah, I went 5511, too, but with Authority. Not sure the latter was a great choice -- I couldn't even intimidate the kid -- but other than that I'm pretty happy with that choice so far!

I tried to punch a 12-year old but whiffed and almost died
I aimed my partner's gun at the girl after I first had convinced him to shoot down the body (he missed) and then to let me have a shot at it. I was too afraid to actually fire the gun at the body / belt though and just gave it back like an idiot. Then I kept on rambling about the end of the world.

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The game is amazing, in case anyone was wondering.

Dumpster diving spoilers
Man, I'm dying here. The scene when you open the dumpster and go through the trash after internalizing hobocop is 1-to-1 with the scene in Planescape: Torment at the Mortuary where you remember how to embalm corpses and regain the muscle memory.

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
What're you thinking for stats/skill of choice? Volition would be signature I would guess.

Volition is a possibility, though Esprit de Corps is another. He's not one for being a lone wolf, and he has a lot of respect for other policemen.

Skill wise I've gone 2442 +Esprit de Corps. He's more people-minded than evidence minded (Psych over Intellect), tough and scrappy (Physique) but not particularly graceful (lower Motorics), and has reliable gut-feelings and knows the city well enough to read the air (Shivers and Half-Light). As a side-effect Electrochemistry and Volition have a fun time fighting it out, appropriate since he is a recovering alcoholic in later books.

Last edited:

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
I was thinking of making Drama my skill since RPS described it as
Drama is your lie detector, and your lie fabricator. With high levels of Drama, you'll have a fantastic idea of when someone is hiding something from you, and you'll have an easier time bluffing your way through obstacles – from conversation to combat

And devs as
DRAMA is a god damn liar. Deliver believable deviations from reality, sometimes with the goal to deceive people, but not necessarily. You may just want to entertain as well. We thought long and hard about how deceit is handled in RPGs and decided it needs to be more about performance in No Truce With The Furies.

Anyone rolling with Drama? I'm thinking of doing a not--so-smart physical wreck who survives by fast-talking and bluffing

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I was thinking of making Drama my skill since RPS described it as

And devs as

Anyone rolling with Drama? I'm thinking of doing a not--so-smart physical wreck who survives by fast-talking and bluffing
I didn't pick drama specifically(high Int and Psy tho) but the one time it's come up so far it gave me the option to just straight up lie about a serial number to my partner...I questioned the reason anyone would've chose that.

nemorrhoids

Oct 22, 2018
After long long sessions of deliberation, I've decided to go 2334 +Savoir Faire so I can be a douchey, drug-addled rockstar cop. I've only seen the character creation screen thus far, but I'm looking forward to diving in!

ara

Oct 26, 2017
The game's definitely delivering going by the first couple of hours. The writing is just fantastic and all the mysteries are very intriguing. I'm off to bed, can't wait to continue this tomorrow!

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I just died randomly? Despair took over me. How do I prevent that in future?

Magnesium heals morale damage. Bear in mind you can use it any time (even mid conversation), so use it when you take morale damage but before it drains completely to heal up before you "die". Same goes for health.

Some failed intellect/psyche checks cause morale damage, so keep an eye out for that.

gazoinks

Jul 9, 2019
The game's definitely delivering going by the first couple of hours. The writing is just fantastic and all the mysteries are very intriguing. I'm off to bed, can't wait to continue this tomorrow!
The real test is definitely going to be if it can keep up the quality and momentum of the opening hours. Here's hoping!

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Magnesium heals morale damage. Bear in mind you can use it any time (even mid conversation), so use it when you take morale damage but before it drains completely to heal up before you "die". Same goes for health.

Some failed intellect/psyche checks cause morale damage, so keep an eye out for that.
Appreciated, thanks

nillansan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denmark
Shake Appeal, More_Badass and texhnolyze.

I DM'ed Mikk from the development team a few days ago expressing some of the concerns that were raised in the previous thread. I am tagging you all since you all responded to my posts expressing the same concerns.

I personally had second thoughts about purchasing the game day one due to those concerns. I did not expect Mikk to actually answer my questions, but he replied to me the next day and he put a lot of effort into the response (I won't share the exchange without Mikk's consent), he actually reached out to the designers of Measure Head and gave them a chance to answer my questions. I really appreciate that the team went through such lengths to address the concerns. So awesome.

I am just completely taken aback by the thought and care that has been put into this game. I learned that Measure Head was designed by three POC in addition to Robert Kurvitz. Based on the team's response and what you guys wrote about them, I am fully confident that the very difficult subject matter will be properly contextualised and well-handled. It convinced me to just buy the fucking thing today. I can't wait to dive in!

gazoinks

Jul 9, 2019
Shake Appeal, More_Badass and texhnolyze.

I DM'ed Mikk from the development team a few days ago expressing some of the concerns that were raised in the previous thread. I am tagging you all since you all responded to my posts expressing the same concerns.

I personally had second thoughts about purchasing the game day one due to those concerns. I did not expect Mikk to actually answer my questions, but he replied to me the next day and he put a lot of effort into the response (I won't share the exchange without Mikk's consent), he actually reached out to the designers of Measure Head and gave them a chance to answer my questions. I really appreciate that the team went through such lengths to address the concerns. So awesome.

I am just completely taken aback by the thought and care that has been put into this game. I learned that Measure Head was designed by three POC in addition to Robert Kurvitz. Based on the team's response and what you guys wrote about them, I am fully confident that the very difficult subject matter will be properly contextualised and well-handled. It convinced me to just buy the fucking thing today. I can't wait to dive in!

That's really fantastic to hear. They're definitely walking a narrow tightrope with what they're trying to pull off, but it seems like they did all their work and are coming at it the right way for sure.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
This game is hilarious so far. It's like exactly how I hoped it would be in general right now.

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
This is the funniest game of the generation, I'm constantly in hysterics and just can't believe whay comes out of my character's mouth and peoples' reaction to it

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
Played 3 hours today. Loving it so far. My build is 3,4,2,3. Signature skill in composure. I didn't want to min-max too much but also didn't want to all-round and tried to put the points into what I feel I would have if I ended up being a drunk cop. Still early on and I dunno if I will due to time commitments, but I can see this game having a lot of replay value in the builds.

Never taking off my tie. It is my friend.

Shake Appeal

Oct 27, 2017
This is the funniest game of the generation, I'm constantly in hysterics and just can't believe whay comes out of my character's mouth and peoples' reaction to it
Yeah.

But I think it's also important to note that the game isn't as flatly "goofy" or flippant or cynical as some previews seemed to indicate. Maybe it's just the character I've built (lots of Psyche, Inland Empire), but it's ... tender. It feels kinda hurt and vulnerable, and it has a lot of human sympathy even for the shittier characters I've met so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.