• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
See this is why choosing that starting skill is going to be tough. In most any other RPG, something like Pain Threshold would just mean you have a higher defense stat, maybe

From early devblog on checks and skills
So this is how we've re-thought passive checks. The versatility of this simple system – let me just repeat it one more time: YOUR SKILLS TALK TO YOU – is pretty incredible. It is hard for us to imagine writing the game without it already. We can do really weird stuff. Like Half Light – the skill that controls your adrenaline gland and your prey drive – can railroad you into a rage spiral where you hound an innocent suspect on something they clearly didn't do. And it takes another skill's intervention for you to get out of it. The next moment a skill can wildly expand the options you have avalable, for example: Drama whispers insane method acting ideas into your ear. Or your Pain Threshold tells you to stab yourself in the hand to make a point. Whatever you do – don't. Pain Threshold is an unstable masochist. It will only leave you screaming with your hand nailed to the table. And then – while screaming with your hand nailed to the table – Rhetoric to the rescue! Make a political point out of this. Tell them you're a victim of your own macho mentality. Tell them (with your hand still nailed to the table) that years of chauvinism have led you to this low point in your life.

The sheer amount of potential inter-connectivity between skills based on that theoretical scenario seems kind of impossible to imagine devs actually achieving that.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
There's no better way to make a point crystal fucking clear than stabbing yourself in the hand

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
This is probably the game I've been most hyped about for longest while actually knowing very little about. I have read just enough to get my juices flowing but no more.

I can't grab it until next month at the earliest, but at least by then if by some anti-miracle it goes against all odds and turns out to suck, I'll know about it.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
i don't think so, it sounds completely unlike any of the other music i've heard so far but here's hoping i'm wrong.

Yeah, it's friggin' beautiful so I hope it's from the game. Haven't heard any of the soundtrack so I don't know what to expect from it, but damn if those faintly melancholic notes didn't fit the rainy afternoon vibes of the first 15 seconds perfectly.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
Not sure if this has already been posted, but here it is anyway.

Thanks! I gave the vid a like but have spent months away from any more media on the game. It'll be interesting to come back to this knowing the context Astrid is trying to leave out. Also hoping this game breaks out enough to earn a "Fan Art Following" thread.

Mackenzie

Apr 21, 2019
Brighton
The retweets of excited streamers who got the game early by the Studio Zaum twitter account are making the wait for Tuesday extremely hard! I've already watched a little more than I would have liked.

Maybe...they could just release it early? :D

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Not sure if this has already been posted, but here it is anyway.

Lmao, that part @ 9:36 is priceless. The sheer way your skills react to the world and each other seems mind blowing, like how on earth could they figure all these things out, have all the checks, all the interactions in place, it seems like something that would take sooooooooo long to figure out and get setup to work.

Soggoth

Oct 29, 2017
Still not sure if I should buy it. I'm not conviced I will enjoy an RPG without proper combat system. Hmmm......

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Did you enjoy games like Her Story, Telling Lies, Return of the Obra Dinn, Sherlock Holmes: Crime & Punishment, 80 Days, etc?
Pretty sure none of these even had a gameplay mechanic for failing without it being game over. Disco Elysium walks the line between these and something like Divinity: Original Sin.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty sure none of these even had a gameplay mechanic for failing without it being game over. Disco Elysium walks the line between these and something like Divinity: Original Sin.
True. I was mainly asking because this seems closer to those in spirit than what most people classify as an RPG. "It's a detective game using a CRPG design" is probably any easier sell than "it's a RPG, no like that kind of RPG, no it doesn't have turn based combat, etc.."

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
True. I was mainly asking because this seems closer to those in spirit than what most people classify as an RPG. "It's a detective game using a CRPG design" is probably any easier sell than "it's a RPG, no like that kind of RPG, no it doesn't have turn based combat, etc.."
I guess it is pretty hard to explain. It's basically the best parts of an adventure game married with the best parts of a crpg (minus the combat system).

Stoze

Oct 26, 2017
Well Obra Dinn and this are both detective games.

Really though I think Disco Elysium is a straight up hardcore RPG with no concessions. The reason combat is done through the dialogue system presumably isn't because "look at all these CRPGs with mediocre combat, just take it out", it's so it can better emulate how combat plays out in actual tabletop roleplaying. Same goes for everything else - lots of time spent basking in the world building and talking to other characters/players because that's what goes on most of the time when you're playing D&D or whatever with your friends. In tabletop RPGs you roll checks for any significant action or sometimes even insignificant ones, so this does to.

Last edited:

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Well Obra Dinn and this are both detective games.
Yup, just in Obra Dinn, you are the detective, here you control a detective whose competency depends on the stats you chose and not on your detective skills as a player.
Really though I think Disco Elysium is a straight up hardcore RPG with no concessions. The reason combat is done through the dialogue system isn't presumably because "look at all these CRPGs with mediocre combat, just take it out", it's so it can better emulate how combat plays out in actual tabletop roleplaying. Same goes for everything else - lots of time spent basking in the world building and talking to other characters/players because that's what goes on most of the time when you're playing D&D or whatever with your friends. In tabletop RPGs you roll checks for any significant action or sometimes even insignificant ones, so this does to.
I very much agree with all of this.

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
It seems to have topped Steam's "Popular Upcoming" tab, whatever that's worth. Don't really know how Valve figures those out, especially since many on the list can't be pre-ordered yet. Maybe something to do with wishlisting?

dreamstation

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
3 days to go and still can't purchase! Argh what's going on! Seems like it unlocks at 3AM Wednesday here in Australia. Going to be a long day at work.

Watched a few videos and streams briefly yesterday and I have to say I'm pretty darn hyped for this. Hope the later parts of the game are as good as the early parts we've been seeing. Potential GOTY material right here if so.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Torn between anxiously waiting for reviews and deep skepticism that reviewers will be fair.

19thCenturyFox

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
I've searched for a while and so far I haven't found anything on this topic but did they talk about plans to translate the game into other languages at all? Maybe depending on success or something?

I want to promote the shit out of this game in my circle of friends but for some of them it solely having an English language option will be a dealbreaker. I know the game has a huge amount of dialogue/text and the team and budget are rather small but perhaps they haven't ruled it out completely.

CottonWolf

Feb 23, 2018
Yeah, for those who haven't seen, this is coming out at 18:00 UK time on Tuesday.
Somebody confirmed that it works on 64 bit Windows 7 for all your grognards.
That's what I'll be playing it on. I have a mac for work, so I dug out my parents old laptop and did a fresh install of Windows 7 specifically for this game. It runs Age of Decadence okay, so fingers crossed it can take this on the lowest settings.
I want to promote the shit out of this game in my circle of friends but for some of them it solely having an English language option will be a dealbreaker. I know the game has a huge amount of dialogue/text and the team and budget are rather small but perhaps they haven't ruled it out completely.
Who knows what'll happen post-launch, I expect it depends on sales, but definitely English only at launch.

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I've searched for a while and so far I haven't found anything on this topic but did they talk about plans to translate the game into other languages at all? Maybe depending on success or something?

I think it will depend on how the game does. It'll be a lot of work for the team to keep the quality, the content and the humor consistent between languages. From what I recall, they said they'll discuss that stuff after launch.
Yeah, for those who haven't seen, this is coming out at 18:00 UK time on Tuesday.

That's what I'll be playing it on. I have a mac for work, so I dug out my parents old laptop and did a fresh install of Windows 7 specifically for this game. It runs Age of Decadence okay, so fingers crossed it can take this on the lowest settings.

Who knows what'll happen post-launch, I expect it depends on sales, but definitely English only at launch.
I'm still happily on W8.1.

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I asked in am earlier post, but have there been any impressions on how it would run on Linux via Steam Proton?

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I'm in that weird mood prior to a game I'm really excited about releasing where I can't muster the will to play anything else. Damnit, Tuesday. Where are you?

Status
Not open for further replies.