• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Did anyone watch? What were his overall impressions?
I just heard that they both died hilariously.

Oh, there's also a new dev blog about the world with some.. interesting tidbits:
Beyond the curve of the horizon, where the ocean ends, there is an unknowable anti-reality mass called the pale. It has been there for as long as human beings have written down history. And it's advancing.
28 years remain until the end of the world
Not sure that was mentioned anywhere before.

Last edited:

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
I just heard that they both died hilariously.

Oh, there's also a new dev blog about the world with some.. interesting tidbits:

Not sure that was mentioned anywhere before.
So the China Mieville recommendations weren't just for tonal similarities; this is some weird pseudo-dark-fantasy-noir world

Your stats having personalities suddenly seems like it might more than just a flavor text thing/representation of thought process thing

Mackenzie

Apr 21, 2019
Brighton
At the end of the stream, he said it was that kind of game that he would "no life" if he didn't have streaming commitments. He loved it.
Good to know, thanks!

What I saw convinced me enough that the games holding up to expectations :) The writing is so good and funny, and there's a real sense the writers are enjoying themselves with it immensely.

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Any content filter options for people who don't like swearing?
As a person who tends to get somewhat triggered whenever people swear, even if it's in positive contexts, I sympathize with this desire -- but I feel like a game like Disco Elysium would be much worse without swearing; its tone, as far as I can tell, heavily capitalizes on a kind of sleaziness from the protagonist that would be difficult to communicate well without swear words. (Not to mention the vast amount of re-writing that would probably have to occur.)

(A quite more extreme example would be: Can you imagine TLOU II without swearing?)

Are there any games that offer such content filter options?
Good news for you guys, it looks like there's a swear filter that the streamers have been using copiously.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
I had totally forgotten this game was also some weird fiction alt-reality setting. As I couldn't be more hyped

Neilg

Nov 16, 2017
Oddly enormous gulf between minimum and recommended GPU lol

it's got dynamic shadows - the minimum will probably disable those completely.

I've not long started the first pillars of eternity so i might have to wait on this for a while, but i'm super excited.
If reviews are insanely good i'll probably end up buying it anyway.

orlock

Oct 28, 2017
read that dev blog posted a handful of posts above - God, this really is as perfect a game as can be crafted to suit my express interests and tastes. cant wait until the 15th.

Saganator

Oct 26, 2017
I'm going to see Tool on the 15th but I'm almost more excited to play this on my day off on the 16th.

Love Machine

Oct 29, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
I've never played a CRPG or seen anything quite like this game, but reading up and watching some of the Fextralife stream has really piqued my interest.

I guess the closest thing I can liken it to is those old point and click games. Definitely appreciate the work that's gone into the writing, humour and dialogue trees.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Couple of people at PC Gamer consider it their (potential) GOTY.
Andy K: Having just sunk 16 hours into a preview build, I think Disco Elysium definitely has a shot at being the, or at least one of, the year's best games. It's one of the most impossibly deep RPGs I've ever played, and the writing is fantastic—if a little indulgent at times. What makes it special is the sheer number of skill checks in every interaction and conversation, with more permutations than I think any single human could ever realistically see. It's a role-playing game in the truest sense, allowing you to shape your alcoholic detective in a terrifyingly dense variety of ways. I'll hold off on proclaiming it GOTY until I get my hands on the review code, but for now, it's a very strong contender indeed.
The wait...it's too long

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Anyone know the release time for the 16th, or what is it usually for European players of Steam games? Asking because going to something in evening.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
I think it's up to the devs though. Considering they are located in Estonia, they might launch it a little earlier but idk.

That'd be great, but pretty much every Steam game I've bought day one in the last couple of years has unlocked at 7/8PM for me, so I'm not holding out hope. It's probably the default "unless you want to manually unlock the game at a particular time, we'll unlock it automatically for you" time.

Status
Not open for further replies.