• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bulletyen

Nov 12, 2017
Surprisingly soon, but then again the wait has been forever. Will it come to consoles at some point? Might wait for that if it is suppose to happen.

In an rpg it's just nice to be able to "make" a character, have them look how you'd like, even if it's a bare minimum head/face swap and nothing too in-depth it's better then just a pre-set character usually. Don't get me wrong, it's not a game breaker or anything, it's just something that'd be nice to be able to do.
I'm all for create a character in games, but this game seems like it's going for a very specific protagonist with a defined personality, look, and style.

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
I hope the game is good, but people around the web have been hyping this game so much experience has taught me to expect the worse.

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I hope the game is good, but people around the web have been hyping this game so much experience has taught me to expect the worse.
Whatever else it will be, I am at least confident that it will be a unique and interesting experience. That's more than I can say for the average game release these days.

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Massive amount of new information here.
How long is a colossal game? Well, it takes 60+ hours of continuous playtime to finish Disco Elysium if you're a reasonably completionist player, as I am. It takes 90 hours if you're absolutely savouring every detail. And 30 hours if you're rushing it. Back-of-the-box, I would put playtime at: 60+ hours.

The world is about the size of Planescape: Torment. Or a sizeable chunk of the first Pillars. A sizeable chunk of Fallout: New Vegas... But the resolution – the level of detail, content density – of these areas is, I would say, about 5 times denser than any RPG I've played. Disco Elysium is a detective game and thus you have to be able to put it under a magnifying glass. Any part of it. Every apartment, hallway, street corner, lamp, or even trashcan needs story, writing, details and interactivity that, to me, exceeds even the most detail-oriented adventure games.

None of these areas reuse assets or look the same like games that are asset-assembled do. Sure, people have the same radio every now and then, every little room is 100% unique when it comes to layout and art. And music, too.

Disco Elysium has about 100 "quests" – or whatever you call them. We call them "tasks". Tasks range from minor to-do's a la "have a bath" to side-adventures that take a whole day to complete. We don't differentiate between side-quests and main quests, by the way. It's all one big thing -- the story of your life in another world, as a detective of the Revachol Citizen's Militia.

It is one million words long.

There are 70 characters, all have partial VO. Each you can spend hours talking to, each has hours of secret content.

Aaaaaand you're gonna have to play the thing from beginning to end three times to get to see most of it. To see all of it... I don't think a single human being can. But the internet has proven many a boast wrong, so let's see.

It's honestly inconceivable how we managed to do this. I guess time is the answer. Disco Elysium took 5 years to produce. We only managed to make it so fast because we had a head start with worldbuilding. A whopping 13 years worth of D&D style pen and paper games in the Elysium setting beforehand.
Certainly sounds pretty amazing from this at least.

Zaber

Alt account
Banned
Sep 11, 2019
I really hope that it delivers. 1 million words worry me a bit. Torment: Tides of Numenera boasted something similar, but it was ultimately a mediocre and overwritten game.

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
Looks great and like something I'd love. not a fan of the voice over in the trailer though but everything I saw looked right up my alley.

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I really hope that it delivers. 1 million words worry me a bit. Torment: Tides of Numenera boasted something similar, but it was ultimately a mediocre and overwritten game.
Yeah, I very much hope that the wordcount here reflects the breadth of the game's reactivity rather than overly long descriptions and meaningless flowery prose that Numenera offered.

From the screenshots so far, the dialogue seems quite crisp and snappy rather than long and descriptive though.
redcheck-fail2.gif

Elodes

Looks to the Moon
Nov 1, 2017
The Netherlands
Yeah, I very much hope that the wordcount here reflects the breadth of the game's reactivity rather than overly long descriptions and meaningless flowery prose that Numenera offered.

From the screenshots so far, the dialogue seems quite crisp and snappy rather than long and descriptive though.
I love how curt the writing seems. It gets to the point without sacrificing wit. What a breath of fresh air in a commonly overwritten genre.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
Was there any price info yet or will we have to wait till launch? Guessing around $60 obviously but Indivisible just managed to surprise me by being about $40+ so I'm hoping for a similar surprise with this.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
I'm the kind of player who felt that Planescape would have been even better without its combat. My favorite interaction in RPGs is through dialogue and checks, so undoubtedly this has been my most anticipated game since Rain World.

I really hope they can stick the landing

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I'm the kind of player who felt that Planescape would have been even better without its combat. My favorite interaction in RPGs is through dialogue and checks, so undoubtedly this has been my most anticipated game since Rain World.

You and me both, brother. It was so much better to defeat the bosses in dialogue and mopping up the random mobs felt just like busywork.

Last edited:

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Typically I agree that boasting with a big word count is mainly just concerning - I really dislike flowery purple prose and very descriptive writing - but yeah, everything (which admittedly isn't much) I've seen so far points to the writing being very snappy and witty. "Oh my god! FUCK THE HAT?!" in the above example is friggin hilarious.

Everything else in the quote sounds fucking incredible. This has immense potential for sure. It's ever so slightly frustrating how close this comes out to The Outer Worlds, but I guess TOW will just have to wait.

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
In this game do we 'build' our character with points at the beginning? Is there anywhere were we can see a list of the attributes and stats if so? Or do we make choices and shape them that way? I just want to know if we can plan a little beofre it comes out. I'm not interested in min/maxing(it would be antithetical to the game) I just want to daydream about it!

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
In this game do we 'build' our character with points at the beginning? Is there anywhere were we can see a list of the attributes and stats if so? Or do we make choices and shape them that way? I just want to know if we can plan a little beofre it comes out. I'm not interested in min/maxing(it would be antithetical to the game) I just want to daydream about it!
As far as I know that is how it works, I think people who have played the expo demo have mentioned that. There are four attributes with six "skills" under each, they are all described in the devblog: motorics, physique, psyche and intellect.

From the trailer, we also saw the "thought cabinet" which has something like perks that you pick up during the gameplay, but I'm not super clear on that.

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
As far as I know that is how it works, I think people who have played the expo demo have mentioned that. There are four attributes with six "skills" under each, they are all described in the devblog: motorics, physique, psyche and intellect.

From the trailer, we also saw the "thought cabinet" which has something like perks that you pick up during the gameplay, but I'm not super clear on that.
These are great reads. Can't wait. I'm at least going to play through as a straightedge pedant Holmes cop and a Druggy Supernatural cop so far.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017

Planescape is like the one game I played on easy just because I didn't want to spend much time with the combat.

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
These are great reads. Can't wait. I'm at least going to play through as a straightedge pedant Holmes cop and a Druggy Supernatural cop so far.
If you enjoyed that, you may also want to read the developer diaries on the PnP system they made for the game, combat and skill checks.

It's hard to really imagine all the possible archetypes that are in the game, I am really interested in what they did with the more ideological ones as they did make a big deal out of that back when they were promoting the game.
Planescape is like the one game I played on easy just because I didn't want to spend much time with the combat.
What I wouldn't give to see how Planescape would have ended up with an integrated conflict resolution system like this rather than the tedious infinity engine combat.

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If you enjoyed that, you may also want to read the developer diaries on the PnP system they made for the game, combat and skill checks.

It's hard to really imagine all the possible archetypes that are in the game, I am really interested in what they did with the more ideological ones as they did make a big deal out of that back when they were promoting the game.

What I wouldn't give to see how Planescape would have ended up with an integrated conflict resolution system like this rather than the tedious infinity engine combat.
Of course we know how it actually turned out, but I made my character in Torment: Numenera so impossibly weak that I eventually got stuck in a combat scenario and quit the game. It was my dream that they would have designed past that, but they didn't. This game is my NEW SAVIOR.

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It was. In fact I'd incredibly impressed if this one, with all its alleged good writing, will be half as good mechanically.
But imagine if you didn't have to fight random thugs on the street, go through really long combat sections or get punished for your uncountable crimes against the planes over a thousand lifetimes.
Of course we know how it actually turned out, but I made my character in Torment: Numenera so impossibly weak that I eventually got stuck in a combat scenario and quit the game. It was my dream that they would have designed past that, but they didn't. This game is my NEW SAVIOR.
Same here, I'm still incredibly disappointed at what Tides of Numenera ended up being.

Oct 31, 2017
But imagine if you didn't have to fight random thugs on the street, go through really long combat sections
Eh, random groups of thugs that took few seconds to dispatch every few hours of gamplay didn't exactly upset me.
And combat sections were a pleasant change of place from time to time in a game that was generally so dialogue-heavy.
I liked to put to test my increase in power occasionally.

lorddarkflare

Oct 25, 2017

I had to put it down during the beta do to life stuff, but I think I played the first 1/3 of the game and engaged in no combat scenarios.

Was that not true throughout?

Other than being pretentious as fuck, I quite liked what I played.

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I had to put it down during the beta do to life stuff, but I think I played the first 1/3 of the game and engaged in no combat scenarios.

Was that not true throughout?
It was not true, there are very few, but they are there. You can talk through most of them, but there are others you cannot. One encounter you can interact with the environment to pass it while it occurs, but my characters were so weak that they would die before they were able to, so it kind of made it impossible.

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Eh, random groups of thugs that took few seconds to dispatch every few hours of gamplay didn't exactly upset me.
And combat sections were a pleasant change of place from time to time in a game that was generally so dialogue-heavy.
I liked to put to test my increase in power occasionally.
The best I can say is that it mostly worked for the time. PS:T has always felt like it hated its own combat and added it because they had to.

Imagine an experience closer to true tabletop, each encounter would be unique, the second set of thugs would have heard how you immolated the first group and stay away, you'd banish annoying demons rather than hacking the hundreds of them to pieces on at a time etc.

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I hope my shit PC can run it.
Steam has the system requirements, seems pretty doable:

SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS
  • MINIMUM:
    • Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
    • Processor: Intel i5-7500 or AMD 1500 equivalent
    • Memory: 4 GB RAM
    • Graphics: Integrated Intel HD620 or equivalent
    • DirectX: Version 11
    • Storage: 22 GB available space
  • RECOMMENDED:
    • Processor: Intel Core i7 or AMD 1800 equivalent
    • Memory: 8 GB RAM
    • Graphics: NVIDIA Geforce 1060 or equivalent

Honome

Jan 10, 2018
Rio de Janeiro

SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS
  • MINIMUM:

• RECOMMENDED:

Nice, probably gonna run.

DocSeuss

Oct 25, 2017
It was. In fact I'd incredibly impressed if this one, with all its alleged good writing, will be half as good mechanically.
Get ready. :)

Like, sure, let's be realistic, I only have around 10 hours in the game. It could fall apart! But those 10 hours were the most arresting, enthralling hours I've had in any RPG. This is one of the best detective games, one of the best RPGs, one of the best video games in those ten hours, that I have ever played.

CHC

Oct 27, 2017

SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS
  • MINIMUM:

• RECOMMENDED:

Oddly enormous gulf between minimum and recommended GPU lol

Hope it runs fine on my MX150 equipped laptop, seems like it probably will as it's mostly 2D.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
Just lodging my name on the list of "hell yes, don't sleep on this one" so I can seem cool later. (Its first hour is so freaking good. Can't wait to play more.)

show me your skeleton

#1 Bugsnax Fan
Oct 28, 2017
skeleton land

Like, sure, let's be realistic, I only have around 10 hours in the game. It could fall apart! But those 10 hours were the most arresting, enthralling hours I've had in any RPG. This is one of the best detective games, one of the best RPGs, one of the best video games in those ten hours, that I have ever played.
stop.
stop this immediately.
i cannot live in a universe where some people (you) are playing this game and some other people (me) are not.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
DocSeuss you and I might vehemently disagree on some games and facets of game design, but I respect your thoughts and analysises of unorthodox/player agency-first/RPG-immersive sim-open ended game design

So such high praise from you about this only makes the wait even harder. This is one of the games that seems to easy for the devs' ambitions to fall apart or feel messy, so for it to achieve everything they promised would be...monumental

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

Can you explain what the Thought Cabinet is supposed to be in terms of mechanics?

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Just lodging my name on the list of "hell yes, don't sleep on this one" so I can seem cool later. (Its first hour is so freaking good. Can't wait to play more.)
Do you feel like it could break out, or will it remain niche? The past few years have been great for CRPGs successes, so I hope this becomes big

Status
Not open for further replies.