• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dandy

Oct 25, 2017
I am so excited for this! The preset protagonist is a bit of a disappointment, but I can forgive them for it due to all of the other options.

For some reason I was convinced that I backed it on Kickstarter but apparently it wasn't crowdfunded.

Based on what you've said:

Shadowrun: Dragonfall
Shadowrun: Hong Kong

I really hope they go back to making more of these! I have no interest in Battletech, unfortunately.

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Underrail is imo the best combat / exploration driven CRPG there is, beyond compare. That said, if you're not interested in those two facets of gameplay being the focal point with very little in the way of Fallout-style decision-making, resolution through speech or whathaveyou it's probably not going to hit the right notes. There's some of that stuff for sure, but it's spiritually closer to an open world dungeon crawl I think overall.

I find a lot of people seem to compare it to Fallout which really sets people up for disappointment due to the huge difference in focus, but if you like building characters, tactical combat, an XP system that rewards exploration rather than simply murdering everything and a fairly interesting post-post-apocalyptic setting with some lovecraftian elements it's a hell of a ride.

I dunno how it slipped my mind but I'd also throw in ATOM RPG if you're okay with it being basically a carbon copy of Fallout 2 only Russian, for better or worse. Pretty much all the games Shake Appeal mentioned are great recommendations.
Very true about Underrail. I'm kind of expecting Disco Elysium to be the anti-Underrail, among other things, as in eschewing the combat altogether and focusing on the excellent dialogue-based storytelling and gameplay from Planescape: Torment with a few modern twists.

Allice

Oct 9, 2018
Finally.

Probably won't end up as my game of the year unless Six Ages : Ride Like the Wind skips 2019, however i'm still expecting at least a solid challange from DE, which is nothing to sneeze at considering Six Ages is a straight up GOAT contender.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Do we know the specs of the game ? Dont know if my shitty computer can run it

gazoinks

Jul 9, 2019
Finally.

Probably won't end up as my game of the year unless Six Ages : Ride Like the Wind skips 2019, however i'm still expecting at least a solid challange from DE, which is nothing to sneeze at considering Six Ages is a straight up GOAT contender.
Yo I totally forgot that game was in development. KoDP is one of my favs. That's definitely a major GOTY contender if it hits this year.

Shake Appeal

Oct 27, 2017
I really hope they go back to making more of these! I have no interest in Battletech, unfortunately.
Yeah, I get that. I love Battletech, and I'm glad they've found success with it ... but it's sad if it comes at the expense of more Shadowrun stuff. I'd happily buy and play another half-dozen of those games in that engine, just for the writing and characters.

Shake Appeal

Oct 27, 2017
Very true about Underrail. I'm kind of expecting Disco Elysium to be the anti-Underrail, among other things, as in eschewing the combat altogether and focusing on the excellent dialogue-based storytelling and gameplay from Planescape: Torment with a few modern twists.
It has combat! Or some combat-driven scenes that depends on physical skill checks. But I think it's extremely rare.

Zaber

Alt account
Banned
Sep 11, 2019
I've been looking forward to this one for a very long time. Day 1.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Finally.

Yo I totally forgot that game was in development. KoDP is one of my favs. That's definitely a major GOTY contender if it hits this year.
Do you mean on PC? It's been out on iOS since last year

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
60+ hours is a lot longer than I thought it'd be, I really hope it maintains its open-ended approach all the way through.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I think it could potentially be as high as $40. It seems like a deep, fleshed-out RPG with more content than I was expecting. (They're saying 60 hours, and I thought it would be more like 12-15 with replayability.)
Have they really never said anything about the pricing? That's weird.

Anyway, considering the scope of the game, I think 60 hours makes sense. The world is quite big.

Javier23

Oct 28, 2017
Hell yesss! I have a big CRPG backlog because I play them one by one and I take forever, but if this is confirmed to be as good as it looks I'm halting everything else.

Feb 12, 2019
Boy, I sure do trip over ambitious indie CRPGs these days. I feel like I'd be more aware of them if the dedicated RPG spaces on the Internet weren't mostly alt-right infested nightmares, but this is definitely on my radar now.

Of course, there's zero guarantee that I will ever get around to this. I love a lot of these games in theory, but actually getting into them has become surprisingly difficult. I've barely scratched the indie side of the "CRPG Renaissance" outside of not caring much for Age of Decadence and quickly refunding Grimoire. However, I've been thinking of finally giving Underrail the time of day, so maybe this could follow shortly thereafter.

Shake Appeal

Oct 27, 2017
Boy, I sure do trip over ambitious indie CRPGs these days. I feel like I'd be more aware of them if the dedicated RPG spaces on the Internet weren't mostly alt-right infested nightmares, but this is definitely on my radar now.
One of the cool things about Disco Elysium is the designers are avowed leftists. Remains to be seen how that manifests in the game (especially given the difficult subject matter they've been vocal about wanting to tackle), but I'm hopeful that it will have more and braver things to say about politics than other games in the genre.

tiesto

Oct 27, 2017
Long Island, NY
This is definitely one of my favorite game titles ever! So much better than the original name which I always read as "No Truce With The Furries"

Stoze

Oct 26, 2017
Can't believe it's that soon.

I will say I'm surprised about the 60+ hour estimate. This always seemed like a 20 hour long but highly re-playable type of game to me. I think I even saw a post about how wide their decision trees could branch at some point. Hard for me to imagine having that kind of flexibility and scope across that long of a game, but maybe they pulled it off.

Last edited:

Slim Action

Jul 4, 2018
I won't have time to play this until 10/25...which is the day The Outer Worlds comes out...

Also it's 60 hours?!? Maybe I'll take some time off work...

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Really hoping they'll do a big media blitz coming up to the release, there's going to be a lot of competition this time of the year.

Drakken

Oct 28, 2017
That voiceover choice was... very odd. But the game itself looks incredibly intriguing. Love the emphasis on dialogue and player freedom.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
60 hours!? That's like 4-5 times longer than I was expecting. Guessing this won't be a cheap $20 game then.

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Everyone new to the game should check out the developer diaries on the PnP system they made for the game, combat and skill checks.

And here's a bonus picture of a single dialogue tree from earlier development:

articy-textfield.jpg

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
I totally missed the hour count in that tweet when I initially read it. There seems to be a lot of games that a big time sinks coming out in this last chunk of the year, I'll still find time for this though.

Zaber

Alt account
Banned
Sep 11, 2019
There are som cool upcoming rpgs for the year other than Disco Elysium.

Stygian: Reigns of the Old Ones
The Outer Worlds

JRPGs:
Romancing SaGa 3
SaGa: Scarlet Grace

For me, a weak year that will end strongly.

Last edited:

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
I started stanning hard for No Truce back in 2016. Around the same time they said you regularly get into arguments with the various parts of your own brain/personality.

Can't believe there's an actual gosh-darn date now (that's just around the corner!).

What a time to be alive.

Status
Not open for further replies.