• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
dzay3amjwr7ah2pnhkga.png
During the speech for their second win of the night, ZA/UM, the team behind Disco Elysium, gave a special thanks to Karl Marx and Friedrich Engels, the authors of The Communist Manifesto.

In this acceptance speech for the Fresh Indie Game Award, Helen Hendepere said that the team would like to thank "some of the great people that came before us." The people they shouted out included the architects of communist thought, Marx and Engels, as well as Russian painter Vladimir Makovsky, and Viktor Tsoi, a Soviet singer and songwriter.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
Their politics were pretty clear from even before the game was out, hell they have all the malo Chapos in the game as VAs.

This was just another power move.

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Reminded me of that thread from a while back where we all debated whether games would be more or less creative in a communist society.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Not surprised considering the constant communism references the game throws to the player. I felt that the universe (the pale, politics, other nations) was barely explored in Disco Elysium, I really hope that the good reception means more games in the same universe.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
One of the best games I've ever played, it's not often a game can emotionally gut punch me as hard as Disco did and then make me genuinely belly laugh a minute or two later. If the game awards had a comedy award Disco would have won that as well no problem.

Zaum should be able to go on and make many more RPG's from now on if they wish. I do hope that a good console port can be made, it deserves to be experienced by as many people as possible.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
I can't wait for Kurvitz's book Sacred and Terrible air to get translated to English next year, it's set in the same world.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
When they showed Marx and Engels in the audience they looked so happy. Hope this helps them get their name out there. Great achievement for all involved, congrats.

:P

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
So... is it a Communist game? I haven't played it

Depends of what you'd call a communist game. There are communists in the game and you can be communist yourself, and a failed communist revolution is an important past event in the setting. Some of it (particularly your character's potential communist views) is played for humour. I wouldn't say it's overtly pro or anti communist in its themes though, but someone who's thought about it longer than I have could probably make a case for it.

travisbickle

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I missed this bit, but I gotta say watching the awards after hearing the election result in the UK I was a bit "so this is all bullshit spectacle and totally devoid of political relevance no wonder we're voting in right-wing authoritarian bullshit."

Kurtikeya

One Winged Slayer
Dec 2, 2017
Not to be that guy but Mayakovsky was a poet, not a painter. I know he sketched but I don't think he ever painted.

Edit: Apparently he studied the works of Burlyuk and applied what he learned to his own art.

Last edited:

jonjonaug

Oct 25, 2017
So... is it a Communist game? I haven't played it
The country the game takes place in had a Communist revolution that was violently crushed by foreign capitalist nations. It's still dealing with the fallout. Throughout the game you can find buildings that have been bombed out years ago and not repaired, traces of firing squads (complete with unrepaired bullet holes), and so on. Characters in the game range from full communists to outright fascists, and the game has a lot more sympathy for the former than the latter.

You can also opt to be a communist yourself. But the protagonist, no matter what your choices, is kind of a lunatic running from his own personal issues. And throwing yourself headlong into the extremes of any sort of political opinion (you can even be an extreme radical centrist) is one way to do this.

So by following "communist" choices you can declare yourself a GIGANTIC COMMUNIST with plans to turn your precinct into the beginnings of a new revolutionary army. Needless to say, you cannot actually do this. But it is extremely funny.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
The country the game takes place in had a Communist revolution that was violently crushed by foreign capitalist nations. It's still dealing with the fallout. Throughout the game you can find buildings that have been bombed out years ago and not repaired, traces of firing squads (complete with unrepaired bullet holes), and so on. Characters in the game range from full communists to outright fascists, and the game has a lot more sympathy for the latter than the former.

You can also opt to be a communist yourself. But the protagonist, no matter what your choices, is kind of a lunatic running from his own personal issues. And throwing yourself headlong into the extremes of any sort of political opinion (you can even be an extreme radical centrist) is one way to do this.

So by following "communist" choices you can declare yourself a GIGANTIC COMMUNIST with plans to turn your precinct into the beginnings of a new revolutionary army. Needless to say, you cannot actually do this. But it is extremely funny.
You can also talk yourself into thinking you're actually Kras Mazov

Calibro

Oct 27, 2017
Belarus
as well as Russian painter Vladimir Makovsky
It's a russian poet Vladimir Mayakovsky btw, Kotaku made a mistake. Vladimir Makovsky did indeed exist and was a painter, but the guy clearly says "Mayakovsky" and it also makes more sense since Mayakovsky was one of the most famous communist poets.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
The game covers a variety of political positions, and at times doesn't always take itself too seriously, even though the subject matter is often very serious. That's what I love about it. They are leftists but they know when to laugh at leftist ideals too. And they humanize everyone in the game no matter the political spectrum.

Oh yeah, they often make fun of you if you try to take a moderate approach too. It's fun.