• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Transistor

Vodka martini, dirty, with Tito's please
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
If you feel that there is a nefarious agenda here you might want to take a better look. I've seen that account before and it only exists to investigate, elevate and remove problems relating to video game preservation. I know Xbox has come a long way since 2013 in what it offers gamers, but if what we have in XSX is indeed the same restrictions as what was attempted back in 2013 the responses should be the same as back then.
This is a far cry from the original Xbox One restrictions. Those were mandatory 24 hour checkins and whatnot. This looks to be, so far, like a one time thing.

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
The curse of Mattrick has come to haunt us again.....oh no

Really hope it's a bug/error that gets patched out at least.

If my kinect mysteriously connects itself to the Series X I am returning this cursed abomination.

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
You do realize Xbox 360 and original Xbox games required a download before you could play them as well... It may just have to do with the way they implemented backward compatibility.

Wonky Mump

Oct 30, 2017
In the past when changing over from Xbox One S to Xbox One X, when I plugged in my external hard drive and loaded a disc based game to play it would give me a screen saying something like "Just one sec... we're getting your game ready for you." - I always assumed that was verifying licenses etc. Is that what is happening here?

bastardly

Nov 8, 2017
this doesnt really affect me that much, but its an odd choice for sure especially after last gen

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
Games aren't played from the disc on Xbox one either. Don't they just install from disc then? Surely you don't download every disc based game you have?

I'm all digital. I've always felt like disc based BC was the same way. Yea you have a disc...but it's just proving you own it. Other than that...it's really a digitial purchase because of the way BC works.

Mobius 1

Oct 27, 2017
North Point, Osean Federation
news28469_240x180.jpg

Oh man, he had the last laugh.

Oct 28, 2017
I've been all digital for several years now but if memory serves, any time I popped a BC Xbox 360 game into my Xbox One there was always a one time patch that automatically downloaded. It only happened once per title and only the first time I popped in the disc.

I will test this out within an hour and get back. I've got 2 disc based 360 games sitting here - Batman Arkham Origins and Asassins Creed Rogue.

ThatCrazyGuy

Nov 27, 2017
Doesn't it work this way now? I think I stuck my discs og Xbox and 360 discs in and it downloaded something, I don't think it's playing off the actual disc?

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
I thought this was already true for 360 and OG Xbox games on Xbox One.

Mandatory activations for Xbox One and Xbox Series X|S games would be wack. No reason for that shit, hopefully that's not the case.

Transistor

Vodka martini, dirty, with Tito's please
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
The one time thing is what is being investigated I think, whether or not it's a fault of the console or not.
I highly doubt it's the fault of a single console, as multiple people have corroborated it. So the question right now is whether or not it's per-disc or a one time "backwards compatibility" download.

If I had a Series X I'd be willing to test it myself. Stupid bots :P

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
Why can't it just download everything it needs once connected to the internet. The 360 needed to download an update the first time you used it for BC, but after that bc worked with all games online or offline.

OP
OP
TheCrackedJack
Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for reopening the thread, as this is important information pertaining to media preservation. Hopefully we can get more clarification in the future or it's some temporary issue that may be fixed in an OS update.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Presumably its not authentication against an account so that would mean its not a check in, ie stick a X1 game that you've never played on your profile, It would simply download the right executable.

Drakhyrr

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
I thought this was already true for 360 and OG Xbox games on Xbox One.

It was, you put the DVD in the drive, the game is identified and downloaded, nothing more is used from the disc.

But then, the Series X is supposed to be much closer in hardware to the Xbox One than the One was to the 360, so we were hoping this would no longer be the case, and games would just install from disc normally.

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
Games aren't played from the disc on Xbox one either. Don't they just install from disc then? Surely you don't download every disc based game you have?
Yep. I think people who didn't use the BC feature on Xbox one are getting all worked up not realizing this is how it works. You don't play the game off the disc, the Disc is essentially a download key.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Not great. Not terrible. In this day and age, a one-time check in seems like a total non-issue.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
Looking into this. I recall being able to install XB1 disc games in prototype hardware and didn't do the same tests on the retail hardware before posting our review. I've repro'ed the "you need to be online" issue on final XSX hardware with my only XB1 disc lying around, Guitar Hero Live. Not a comprehensive answer to this question, but it's not looking good.

Oct 28, 2017
But then, the Series X is supposed to be much closer in hardware to the Xbox One than the One was to the 360, so we were hoping this would no longer be the case, and games would just install from disc normally.

That logic doesn't follow.

If series x is closer to Xbox one than one is to 360 and Xbox one required a patch to download then series X will require a patch to download.

Deleted member 1238

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It seems that it's just a one time activation which kind of makes sense. On Xbox One, backwards compatible 360 and Xbox OG games were never actually installed off the disk. They were downloaded and the disk was just a check to make sure you owned it. I imagine the Xbox One games are somewhat similar on a Series X. Maybe they're able to install off the disk, but still need some extra code to work on the new hardware.

the one thing that kind of concerns me is the dude says that after unplugging his Series X and doing a full reboot he needs to do the checks again. If that's true it's a bit concerning, but his Twitter account is suspect to say the least (suspect being a massive understatement. Let's just call it like it is. He has a hate boner for Xbox) so I'm not sure if his reporting there is reliable.

could someone here with a Series X test that out? Cold boot your Xbox into offline mode and see if it needs to check before playing a BC game?

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
When one of the biggest talking points of your strategy is the preservation of old games, it is unquestionably not a "total non-issue."

It isn't necessary and has no reason to exist.
It was impossible for xb1 hardware to run old og Xbox and 360 games so they used a software implementation to make select games playable, select games because they had to set them up first.

Not sure why people expected a different implementation for xb1 to xbsx games? Xb1 games are designed to play on xb1 hardware not xbsx.

Oct 27, 2017
OK, to stop misinformation:

Original Xbox and Xbox 360 games require you to download the entire game in an Xbox One/ Xbox Series friendly format.

This isn't the case for Xbox One games. Otherwise games installed to my external drive wouldn't boot and Dogital Foundry couldn't have looked at the unpatched version of Assassin's Creed Unity.

However, the OP appears to be correct.
My Series X is not my home console.

I installed a disc and booted a game while connected to the Internet.
I disconnected from the Internet.
My gamepass games and other digital purchases no longer boot - as expected it's not my home console.
I then put in a disc that installs fully.
When I try to boot it I get the message:
"This game isn't ready yet
Go online to finish installing it (0x97e00018)"

Importantly, I put that first disc back in and the game boots fine while still offline. So it appears to be a one time activation.

I would check if setting my console to my home console solves the issue, but it's late and it might kick my other Xbox offline. Maybe tomorrow.

Even if home console fixes the problem, it shouldn't have to. This seems like a legitimate issue. If it works fine when the machine is set as a home console then this seems like a bug.

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
When one of the biggest talking points of your strategy is the preservation of old games, it is unquestionably not a "total non-issue."

If it works the same way it does for 360/Xbox games, then it wouldn't be possible to install/play x1 games without a connection. That would be pretty terrible.

🤞 that isn't the case.

Drakhyrr

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
That logic doesn't follow.

If series x is closer to Xbox one than one is to 360 and Xbox one required a patch to download then series X will require a patch to download.

That's expected for 360 and OG Xbox games, yes. The problem is if it's doing the same to Xbox One games.

Also, Xbox One games tend to be much larger in size than 360 games, so to download the whole games would be a much bigger headache.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
I'm confused, as for 360 and Xbox games don't you have to download the full game anyway? It doesn't install from the disc. Is this just talking about Xbox One games and I missed that?

Vexii

Oct 31, 2017
UK
Looking into this. I recall being able to install XB1 disc games in prototype hardware and didn't do the same tests on the retail hardware before posting our review. I've repro'ed the "you need to be online" issue on final XSX hardware with my only XB1 disc lying around, Guitar Hero Live. Not a comprehensive answer to this question, but it's not looking good.
The problem here being that this still doesn't answer if it's a single one time activation download for BC in general or if it's an online check-in

.exe

Oct 25, 2017

In real-life use, this has almost zero impact.

Pulling out the preservation angle in this case seems utterly meaningless and a little concern-trollish for a system that has many of its BC through downloads only, at a time when games require day-one patches, whereby certain games' Series S/X enhancements are download-only, when certain games require you to update to a newer firmware, and so forth.

Last edited:

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
So Xbox One BC (as in OG Xbox and Xbox 360 games on an Xbox One) have always required the Internet to work since they launched BC. That's because they don't actually install from the disc at all. You put the disc in and it downloads the BC working version of the game in a wrapper that allows it to run on an Xbox One/Series X. The disc is literally just a key. The console cannot run the games from the disc, it requires a new version (which obviously needs to be downloaded). That's how this has always worked.

What's new here is a one time check-in to activate Xbox One BC after installing from a disc. I can confirm that this happens, I just went offline and installed Blazblue (one of the few disc XB1 games I own!) and it asked my to go online to finish the installation. I'm assuming, like with 360 and OG Xbox BC, the Series X needs some kind of patch/config file to have the game work on the new hardware? If the bare disc installation is looking for an Xbox One then I guess it's not seeing one and you might need an additional config file to fix it. I dunno.

Nov 7, 2019
This does suck if true but we're all gonna die eventually. I quit holding on so tightly to "game preservation" don't get me wrong is does matter but there are much bigger fish to fry.

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah this is bad.

It's not a one time activation.
I had an "activated" disc, which worked fine offline.

I uninstalled that disc.
Reinstalled the disc.
Now it needs to activate again.

I didn't even restart the console.

Again, maybe an issue caused because my console isn't my home console but it shouldn't matter.

TiagoCosta

User requested ban
Banned
Aug 3, 2018
It was, you put the DVD in the drive, the game is identified and downloaded, nothing more is used from the disc.

I installed world of ff, it was 100% from the disc.