• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 54320

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 28, 2019
London
Both Disaster Report & Raw Danger are survival games but unlike your typical survival game, they're based in a somewhat realistic and grounded reality. You're not facing zombies, fighting off hordes of cannibalistic tribes or even facing up against groups of hostile online players.

It's pretty boring actually but that's why I love it! It's the only survival game that I can think of which takes place in a city that's been affected by a natural disaster. You're just a normal person, trying to escape from a crumbling city. You're constantly dodging falling debris, navigating through destroyed buildings and so much more. It has a pretty simple gameplay loop of exploration, item management and choosing dialogue options. I'm doing a terrible job of explaining these games but watch a few gameplay videos and you'll get exactly what I'm talking about!

I would be remiss not to mention that these games usually have multiple characters you can control and quite a few different endings too! It's probably the most plain form of survival game that someone could play and I truly love the setting.

I've always wanted to play more games like Disaster Report & Raw Danger but never really found similar experiences to them. I forgot to mention that these are PS2 games as well, how charming ey?

In any case, has anyone else played these games and what do you think of them?

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Im a big fan of the series. I loved the first two games on the PS2, they are janky in places but the overall idea of surviving a natural disaster is still a unique one. I can't really think of many other games that have ever attempted it really - you have Disaster Day of Crisis for the Wii which I liked, but that's more of a crazy "24 but with natural disasters" type concept what with the action shooting scenes and all that.

It really reminds me that I need to go back to the third game on the PSP and finish it. I recall the load times being one of the main issues with me dropping the game - as the areas were small and load times frequent.

I did play through the fourth game over Xmas and genuinely enjoyed it. I have issues with it - most namely the (ending spoilers)
need to shoehorn in some stupid terrorist plot in the 11th hour of the game, most of the game just has a pretty "normal" plot of you trying to survive, and then in the last 10 minutes your abducted, chucked on a boat and had to escape, which is super easy, but such a shit way to end an otherwise interesting game. The other ending felt more like a gag ending, really entertaining but not really the "main" end

4 also did the interesting thing of focusing less on big set pieces and more on the characters, the funny dialogue options are still there, and there are some fantastic scenes throughout the game, also some which are pretty brutal in tone. But I really enjoyed it all the same.

Akumatica

Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed them both. I'm still hoping the 4th game will get localized.
Another game from this team, Steambot Chronicles (Bumpy Trot) is also really good.

They also worked on the Pachipara pachinko series for the PS2, making a full on RPG mode that sounds really interesting-

Like some of Irem's other games, especially the Disaster Report series, the statements players can make and actions they can take around characters are extensive, allowing for a wide spectrum of roleplaying beyond the usual moral dichotomy. Most situations in which the protagonist is forced to make a decision give several options from which to choose, often ranging from what's considered to be sane and socially acceptable on one end to completely ludicrous and humorous on the other end. Notably, not only do these systems extend to the ability to romance various characters in the game, including Sakurako as the main heroine, but they also allow the player to freely play as a homosexual or bisexual character, should they choose to do so.

Unlike many of its other open world contemporaries at the time of its release, players can seamlessly enter most of the buildings that they see in the game world without a major loading transition. Each of the buildings has uniquely designed interiors and is populated by different NPCs. Given the urban setting of the game, many of the buildings are shops that sell optional clothing items and equipment, but they also include restaurants, police facilities, dating spots, and apartment buildings, among other things.
2613130-pp4.jpg

2613135-pp7.jpg

https://www.giantbomb.com/pachipara-13-super-umi-to-pachipro-fuunroku/3030-45774/
http://pepsimangb.tumblr.com/post/79872186834/so-if-you-know-your-irem-history-chances-are
http://pepsimangb.tumblr.com/post/103638779887/disaster-report-creator-kazuma-kujo-on-making-a
"There really is just a lot to see and do in the game. Not only is the town big, but there are a lot of shops and restaurants you can go inside, too.
Kujo: We also have a lot of food that players can eat in the game.

Does that affect your stats in any particular way?

Kujo: So the way it works is that food in the game breaks down into a number of different types. You've got stuff like grains, vegetables, etc. The most obvious stat that's affected when you eat is your Fullness, which goes up when have a meal. But it doesn't just stop there. Food in the game also has five different nutritional classifications. So, for example, curry and katsu curry [a type of curry with fried pork cutlets on top] have different effects on your character's health because of the different proportions of meat in them.

Really? I had no idea. (Laughs.)

Kujo: Say you completely neglect to have any vegetables in your character's diet. That will in fact have a negative impact on your Healthiness, which in turn negatively impacts your Luck. That's ultimately what it all boils down to with all of these stats; they all affect your prospects at playing pachinko.

Let me tell you a quick anecdote from one of the development staff. When they were playing the game, they were really fussy about staying in good health, but at one point, their protagonist got called out for a group date. As it tends to happen at those sorts of things, they ended up eating some really fatty food as punishment for losing a game they played on that date and it really ruffled their feathers.

That's absurdly realistic at that point. (Laughs.)

Kujo: I do admit it's pretty funny to see what happened after so much effort was put into that character's diet. (Laughs.) Also, I should point out that the best level of Fullness to have is Moderate. If you eat too much, you'll start to get a gut."[/QUOTE}

Last edited:

atomsk

Oct 28, 2017
One of my favorite game series.

I did beat the 3rd one (with zero JP knowledge), but the lack of rumble really hinders the experience for me.

Hoping the 4th one gets localized, but I'm patient. I waited a year to import City Shrouded in Shadow.

Deleted member 41931

Apr 10, 2018
I'm really fond of them. I've always thought experiencing the appocaylpse was more interesting then living after it and these ganes demonstrated that really well. They also did a good job at feeling like you're just a regular person whose really insignificant in the grand scheme of things.

It's a shame the series became exclusive to Japan. Not the greatest of games, but interesting none the less.

takoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
Really good series. I recently played through the games for the first time after finishing and enjoying Summer Memories, Raw Danger was by far my favorite game in the series.

I went in expecting janky low-budget PS2-era games (which I still tend to enjoy), but the games really surprised me with how ambitious there were for the time (especially Raw Danger). Multiple characters with interesting storylines that intersect and change depending on your choices, real-time level deformation during floods, survival gameplay before the genre really existed, different kinds of driving sections, inventive gameplay ideas, etc. The second game definitely deserves its cult status and I think it still holds up today. I could see a remaster with a stable framerate and slightly tweaked controls do well on PSN, the game has a certain charm comparable to the Yakuza games or the visual novel 428.

Disaster Report 1 wasn't bad either, but it's definitely more dated than the second game. The controls lack some of the QoL improvements from Raw Danger and the technical presentation can be rough at times.

The third game is fine for a PSP game, but it doesn't bring a lot of new ideas to the table and it lacks some of my favorite parts of Raw Danger (multiple characters, gameplay variety, etc.).

If someone wants to check-out Raw Danger, there's a fun Game Informer Let's Play on YT:

gigaslash

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I love the series, 3rd game is probably my single favourite PSP game. There's just something extremely appealing about its slow pace and the characters and how unique the series is. I haven't bough Zettai Zetsumei Toshi 4 yet, but I need to get to it once I'm done with DMC5 and Sekiro and all the other games I have in my immediate backlog.

OP
OP

Deleted member 54320

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
London
I love the series, 3rd game is probably my single favourite PSP game. There's just something extremely appealing about its slow pace and the characters and how unique the series is. I haven't bough Zettai Zetsumei Toshi 4 yet, but I need to get to it once I'm done with DMC5 and Sekiro and all the other games I have in my immediate backlog.
Has that been fully translated by fans yet? I can't believe there are three games they've made that I can't play. Its upsetting.

Schopenhauer

Oct 27, 2017
First thing that comes to mind when I see someone mention Raw Danger was its truly terrible boxart. Also that it was a really enjoyable game.

I didn't like Disaster Report half as much, probably because I played it after Raw Danger and it was a more refined experience.

Irem had a pretty good track recorded for quirky games like this. Always bummed me out that we never got a Steambot Chronicles 2 or the like.

Nov 2, 2017
Shibuya
Shit I didn't know that game even existed! I need to buy that as soon as.

I won't be able to understand a thing but it looks bloody awesome.
Cool thing about that one (I haven't finished it yet) is that from what I've heard it's completely linear with one ending so you can get through it without Japanese at all and not worry about the conditions for four thousand endings.

gebler

Oct 27, 2017
I played Raw Danger on the PS2 and loved it. I enjoy "bad" weather in real life as well, and the game had a lot of those little moments where you go from being all exposed to the elements, wet and cold, to finding shelter and warming up, then getting back out again. Very cosy! It had quite a lot going plot-wise as well - a little cheesy by modern standards surely, but still entertaining enough.

Last edited:

J75

Sep 29, 2018
Really enjoyed both original games. Very immersive experiences with some unique dialogue options. I imported the 4th game and im currently going through it and it feels just like the old games just with a shinier coat of paint. Tech wise the game runs pretty bad but thats par of the course for the series really. I hope it eventually gets localized and even better, gets a PC port since it could really use it and it runs on UE4 so a PC port shouldn't be much of a hassle.

Tomma18

Banned
May 29, 2018
These were some of my sleeper hits for the PS2. Really hoping the 4th game makes it's way over to the US.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I see City Shrouded in Shadow is mentioned above. Its a pity that is probably a legal/license nightmare to localise as in my opinion its much better than Disaster Report 4, mainly because DR4 focuses again on an earthquake, which has been done before in the series - while City focuses on surviving Kaiju attacks, which is not something I think has ever been done elsewhere? Its got some pretty awesome set pieces as well, anything with Godzilla (well, bar that bloody boat chapter) is excellent though Ultra Man was the surprise standout of the game, he gets the most fun set pieces. Also, as expected humor and choices were top notch in the game (taking a selfie with Ultra Man was hilarious) and the kinda crazy story is just the right amounts of serious and silly.

Deleted member 12352

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Loved those games. Rough as hell in action, but the atmosphere was exceptional and they were damn funny to boot.

Fuckin' sucks we never got the PSP one or (seemingly) the new one.

Quzar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Great games. I wish there were more clones of these types of games, so weird and unique. Nothing else like them. There's a certain jankiness to them that made them super endearing, kind of like deadly premonition.

takoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, I guess I really gotta check out this series.
Usually I'd recommend you play a series starting with the first game, but Raw Danger is a much better game and there's very little story connection between the games. I'm pretty sure you'd like it if you don't mind a dated presentation and some technical issues. Like Yakuza and 428, the game is set in a real-life setting and the story mostly plays it straight, but there's a ton of fun little details in the world, including memorable characters, some goofy side-quests and a choice system that really feels like you can shape your character and their story. When making decisions, there's always a goofy/silly answer to pick from. Normally, I tend to go for the friendly/normal choices in RPGs but this game somehow encourages you to pick the weird answers since it's just so much fun to see the outcome.

One thing you should know going in is that the localization is something else. Think Yakuza 1 without famous voice actors, set in Japanifornica from AA where everyone is turned blonde for some reason, all the names are westernized but you still drive on the left side of the road and there's kanji on signs and posters, etc. I think it's so bad it's good and gives the game a B-movie feel, but ymmv

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Just finished Disaster Report 1. Heading into Raw Danger later this week.
Gotta say, I really loved it. A lot of goofy fun charm and a unique type of gameplay. Y'all have said Raw Danger is the far better game, so I'm pretty excited for that. Hearing about multiple characters, abilities, side quests and stuff sounds great.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Loving Raw Danger at the moment. Curious if I should import Disaster Day of Crisis next. I know it's not the same devs, but it's in a similar vein and looks really cool, is that one recommended here?

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Loving Raw Danger at the moment. Curious if I should import Disaster Day of Crisis next. I know it's not the same devs, but it's in a similar vein and looks really cool, is that one recommended here?
First off, if your liking Raw Danger (its excellent, and very replayable!) then look at City Shrouded in Shadow. Its by the same devs as the Disaster Report series and its very much in a similar vain of gameplay and humor.

Disaster DoC is quite different in tone - its more a mix of 24 (the TV show), Time Crisis and any disaster scenario they could think up. Its far more action packed but that's not technically a bad thing, it has quite a few funny/interesting scenarios as you play through the game (including a bit with a bear!) so yeah, I'd definitely recommend it as I enjoyed it quite a bit.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
First off, if your liking Raw Danger (its excellent, and very replayable!) then look at City Shrouded in Shadow. Its by the same devs as the Disaster Report series and its very much in a similar vain of gameplay and humor.

Disaster DoC is quite different in tone - its more a mix of 24 (the TV show), Time Crisis and any disaster scenario they could think up. Its far more action packed but that's not technically a bad thing, it has quite a few funny/interesting scenarios as you play through the game (including a bit with a bear!) so yeah, I'd definitely recommend it as I enjoyed it quite a bit.
Yeah, now that I've finished Raw Danger I'm very much looking to check out the other entries and I have heard a lot of praise directed at City Shrouded in Shadow.

Disaster DoC sounds interesting though, I'm pretty curious to check it out as well.

You should just play Disaster Report 4, since it comes out in a couple days.

I will pick it up, think I'm going to hold off on playing it for a bit though.

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Heard of them and have them, but haven't played them. Watched the Gamer Informer Replay of Raw Danger which was great. I plan to catch up with Disaster Report 4 coming out.