• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
No surprise when steam is downloading a game I get the same effect. ES is probably doing something to the network.

Deleted member 2533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was going to purchase some games from them this sale, I might have to think again about that.

Well, perhaps I will keep the DRM-free ones.

Yeah wow, this really turns me off of buying games on EGS. The only game I ever bought was an Ubisoft game, and that's because I know they add to the Ubi client so you can launch them without EGS. I'll probably stick to that.

Max A.

Oct 27, 2017
Hmm never noticed that, 6-8% usage on a 10850k compared to 0.2% for Steam, I only use it for the free games but it might not be worth it, I can always add them to my library directly from the site (and never play any of them)

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
NumOo2T.png

This is the highest I caught id idling on a ryzen 9. The rest of the time it sits at around 0.7% cpu. Not sure how people are reaching 10% consistently.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Task manager ordered by CPU usage right now on my 5800X.

bssddpx.png

Notice how Steam is barely registering.

I'm not gonna infect my PC with EGS just to show what everyone has proved already, you can see how much CPU EGS uses in other users's posts. The CPU usage of EGS while it supposedly does absolutely nothing is NOT normal.

admiraltaftbar

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 9, 2017
Discord remains the benchmark in quickness and invisible resource usage for me. Sure it doesn't launch games, but it can track hundreds of channels at once with 0 inconvenience for the user.

Funny because I actually have an issue with Warzone where if I have discord open and am playing I'll get significantly worse performance. Closing discord without any other changes results in completely removing the drops.

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
Completely exiting the EGS launcher also does not drop my cpu temps 13 degrees. Somehow this feels like a tempest in a teapot.

Oct 25, 2017
If true, this sounds like a bug to me where the app gets into a bad resource grab loop.

For my part, EGS doesn't have any issues on my PC.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Completely existing the EGS launcher also does not drop my cpu temps 13 degrees. Somehow this feels like a tempest in a teapot.

Not really when you have a Ryzen 9. You have significantly more headroom, 8 more threads than the processor mentioned in the topic title.

Oct 28, 2017
I can hear my fan constantly spinning any time I have the Epic Store launched. I have to close it just to quiet my PC, makes me not wanna use it at all.

Qudi

Jul 26, 2018
Maybe I take the L for purchasing Tony Hawk Remake full price on EGS and delete it for good. The launcher is a joke and takes way too much resources. Also couldn't believe I cant play THPS offline on EGS. Claimed almost 30 games by now, but not installed any of them.

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
It does make sense that the EGS would be so intensive. It's made in Unreal Engine 4 for some idiot reason.

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
Not really when you have a Ryzen 9. You have significantly more headroom, 8 more threads than the processor mentioned in the topic title.
I don't think this is the case since it currenly idles at ~50C +/- 10 with or without the launcher running. If EGS was the resource hog the redditor says it is, I'd have seen some noticeable impact.

Alvis

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Maybe I take the L for purchasing Tony Hawk Remake full price on EGS and delete it for good. The launcher is a joke and takes way too much resources. Also couldn't believe I cant play THPS offline on EGS. Claimed almost 30 games by now, but not installed any of them.
I've found that waiting a year for games to get a proper release on Steam is super easy. I mean, just look at Control. I got it fully patched, with DLSS 2.0, with all expansions, for like 20 and something euros. On a vastly superior platform. Like bruh, it's just a year, of course I'll wait. I always wait for sales anyways. For Shenmue 3 I asked for a refund of my KS pledge of 50 and something euros, which didn't even include the DLCs, then bought the game + DLC on Steam for 22€... I also got to take money directly from Epic, since they funded the refunds. win-win lol

I'm patiently waiting for THPS1+2 too.

HaremKing

Banned
Dec 20, 2018
I must have over 100 games on Epic games store but never even installed the launcher
Yeah, this is me. Though I did install GOG Galaxy to play Cyberpunk and linked my EGS account there so now I can see all those games in GOG galaxy, though I haven't checked if I could download/play them from there or if it'll just try to open up EGS on its own.

Definitely love the free/subsidized games from Epic but they got a whole lot of work to do on their launcher if I'm going to use it.

lightchris

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
~5% CPU usage on my i5-8600K (6 cores/6 threads). Both GOG Galaxy and Steam are around 0.1%.
So yeah, that's really bad for a simple background task.

Personally it doesn't bother me that much as I only open EGS when I play one of the (free) games on it. But it's still bad and hopefully just a bug they'll fix instead of something deeply ingrained..

Telaso

Oct 25, 2017
14C difference for my 5800x for idle.

I had WoW open when I saw this, CPU at 68, went to 61 from closing EGS with a game open.

What the heck are you doing Epic...

Deleted member 34714

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 28, 2017
I don't think this is the case since it currenly idles at ~50C +/- 10 with or without the launcher running. If EGS was the resource hog the redditor says it is, I'd have seen some noticeable impact.
This isn't a thing where ppl are relying on this redditor as fact.

Look at your own resource it's using, not temps. Temp change is different depending on your CPU power where old cpus will hit higher % to do whatever the hell it is doing while "idling" or cooling solution. Most cases ppl won't notice a change if all you look at is temps.

Jebusman

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax, NS

The temperature thing is sort of an adjacent issue where people likely have very lax fan curves (to maintain silence while idling or doing low impact tasks), which amplifies the effect of a single process deciding to ramp things up.

Someone with a more aggressive fan curve, or a better cooling setup, isn't really going to see a huge difference. Like I said for myself, despite seeing the EGS almost hitting 20% cpu usage at times while the store was open, my fan curve is so aggressive that I really only saw a 2-3C difference at best while idling vs idling + epic store open.

I don't think the thread title is accurate in that it takes a specific setup to have the same exact result as the redditor, but overall the idea that EGS is a resource hog relative to every other storefront on PC is valid and very easy to prove.

If you have a fan curve that keeps the fans low until they reach a certain point, and then rapidly increase to compensate, something like a rogue process forcing the CPU to stay awake and clocked high is going to keep temperatures up near the edge of that inflection point.

If you have a fan curve that keeps fans high (or you have an aftermarket heatsink/water cooling that just keeps it super cool even under load), then yeah a single process keeping the CPU from idling probably won't change too much.

Last edited:

Qudi

Jul 26, 2018
Jeez just did a check on my PC (r5 3600@stock). This aint normal or i didnt realized it was always like this. It goes even up to 15% when i open the store tab.

LAAv49Sk8uItFXaEeQv1-KuS2QOSoidnMx_bliyJiEGLURJ7qvWVA-hXEdJDpx4E7tPsq-igOaxThIE3n1-8qUDTasn7xUYxfbZKQHQA8-Nh607TPbIsW8RWAK9P48GlijOGZzGlfUG2iX0TygR0Dwy76swyvZo-y0_t-RDLRnheccCqw0kYf8iMiXNOATFKkXdJec_tfTnHgAGt-1i96itiuKXRE7GHiExAIkrQ0Qo1KAYDxM2BSDHeXvZPtl3L7i28VPX65zyR8Wd_8fY8cpgYTwEkaz6NPdqJIC1fo-CTCZCGqV_VRyVoWuB4OcLTaj-sWpKREEDaYLcobwkGXhv0V3sgfYDANAuw8uPLrKH_NzLQC2cFKhkDMwliwlyjE4guTLI4zNj0NOMfK9KiczaJMAXb1gEUCFtc3qm_JpjyD27NgJmNTfOLXW2HcM3A1vPEFu0ke0qjTOUIdPTpHG18f4oEA06yDnjlOBbMHfqw0EWg87U0kDYXTRYuSHZ4DYYNw48gSPWP__Kp42ATTz47O_DKP-s-odzSAsADJGBOV28McOWcjQuWQffgnWkkgVwmMA8a9HU4P_mW7-eORhlejfVvM6ivPLad0fsuXPBOQfnoEpx6l4K_BnncYIbnGbITlU6jZ3-Zy4hUIPIeXJXy668iXrtbKhv8SUXNj3vF-leMAyySGytDsrWJ=w1151-h593-no

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Funny how it doesn't happen with Steam or GOG Galaxy or Uplay or etc. And people in that thread confirm that it does indeed lower their temperature, I'm sure that every single one was updating a game AND dumb enough to not realize that that was the issue. Sounds reasonable.
It happens sometimes, and was likely a bug that finally got fixed by following a trick. There was no background loading, no downloading, no game decryption after a launch date.

Btw, if someone isn't against using GOG Galaxy 2.0 you should play EGS games through that. It only seem to use a fraction of EGS and it's officially supports EGS. I had a hard time finding out if it ran EGS at all when I launched EGS games via GOG Galaxy 2.0. Here is what it used when I found out it was a background app in the task manager.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
To chime in here with something not exactly relevant to the topic at hand, but tangential, there definitely is "something up" with the epic launcher.

Whenever I try to run it on my laptop, it is absolutely unusable due to the frame rate of the launcher being maybe around 5fps at most. For what is essentially a glorified webpage (on a modern laptop that is by no means a "slouch") that is really isn't acceptable, so I'd certainly believe that it causes some funky stuff to happen on Ryzen CPUs too.

inpHilltr8r

Oct 27, 2017
lol so their store is an unreal game, vs everyone else who reskins a browser

i'mma sure it looks nice, but I can guess why it's not exactly low cpu
it's platform is designed to extract and utilise power, as opposed to a decent browser that ideally should be doing almost nothing in a rest state

complain enough and we'll probably end up with better low power support in unreal, eventually, dont hold breath

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
It happens sometimes, and was likely a bug that finally got fixed by following a trick. There was no background loading, no downloading, no game decryption after a launch date.

Btw, if someone isn't against using GOG Galaxy 2.0 you should play EGS games through that. It only seem to use a fraction of EGS and it's officially supports EGS. I had a hard time finding out if it ran EGS at all when I launched EGS games via GOG Galaxy 2.0. Here is what it used when I found out it was a background app in the task manager.
Steam had some serious CPU issues when they put the new Library as it loaded a ton of assets. It wasnt weird for it to go up to 1%+ back then, and thats why they added the performance modes for the Library. Now it has gotten better even in the base state.

Regarding GOG Galaxy and EGS, it still opens up EGS for the game I think.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Steam had some serious CPU issues when they put the new Library as it loaded a ton of assets. It wasnt weird for it to go up to 1%+ back then, and thats why they added the performance modes for the Library. Now it has gotten better even in the base state.

Regarding GOG Galaxy and EGS, it still opens up EGS for the game I think.
That's what I was testing in that thread. For me EGS wasn't showing up in the task manager but in the backgrounds in task manager. I tested it with many games, I used Celeste eventually because it was light and booted fast for the tests. I thought it wasn't using EGS at all, it was weird.

www.resetera.com

Hitman 3 Now EGS Exclusive

I tried with Borderlands and the only time I got EGS to show up was to try downloading a game that I didn't have installed. Borderlands require EGS to run so I thought that would be a good one to test. EGS wasn't in the tray or on the toolbar. I guess some games put EGS up, maybe the GOG version...

Oct 28, 2017
My 5900X goes from 28 at idle to around 35 with EGS open, and a 2-3% usage increase. Steam barely changes the temperature or usage.

Kiru

Oct 25, 2017
I only noticed that it hogged a lot of my RAM at some point until I closed the task...

ravnelis

Prophet of Regret
Jan 1, 2018
I instantly notice when EGS is left in the background on my laptop. It usually is completely silent when I'm not gaming, but when EGS is on, the CPU fan is constantly spinning making a lot of noise.

shadowhaxor

EIC of Theouterhaven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Claymont, Delaware
I just want to add to this convo that this isn't anything new. I'm not sure why this is suddenly news, but this has been an issue with the EGS launcher for the past few years now. I'm sure some of you may remember where it was "implied" that the launcher was collecting data from various things in your PC, including checking on if you had Steam installed.

(1) Epic Game Store, Spyware, Tracking, and You! : Games (reddit.com)

There are various threads/subreddits regarding this very issue. It's not new.

Alvis

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
The UE4 bit sounds a bit too insane to be true, though I wouldn't be entirely surprised. The telemetry / spying stuff I absolutely believe, though.

Stacey

Banned
Feb 8, 2020
I'm seeing a 4-5c difference and the EGS is using 1.6 to 1.7% of my cpu.

both3gk7t.png

So a 13c bump for the OP is quite substantial considering the 3900x is a 12 core processor.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
I found the thing regarding Unreal Engine. EGS at least used the crash reporter from UE.

answers.unrealengine.com

I've being having this error

This error closes the Epic Games Store automatically every single time I open it. I did sent a ticket in the Epic Games Store Community but I was told to report it here, hope you can help, I will add a photo of the error that keeps happening every time I open the launcher

answers.unrealengine.com

Kernel32 and ntdll epic games launcher error

I cant launch my epic games launcher, I have linked a picture of the error log file.

301665-oof.png

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
I just want to add to this convo that this isn't anything new. I'm not sure why this is suddenly news, but this has been an issue with the EGS launcher for the past few years now. I'm sure some of you may remember where it was "implied" that the launcher was collecting data from various things in your PC, including checking on if you had Steam installed.

(1) Epic Game Store, Spyware, Tracking, and You! : Games (reddit.com)

There are various threads/subreddits regarding this very issue. It's not new.
That reddit post is a lot of tinfoil-hattery and "I'm not going to promote this crypto-racist conspiracy but it is the preamble to my post anyway."

What are we supposed to learn from it?

Wanace

Oct 29, 2017
I have a Ryzen 3700x and same issue. EGS is taking 2.5% of CPU resources and my CPU Core Temp went up to 50 degrees from 35 with it active and 44 degrees in the background.

Will be exiting when not using (which is always, unless I'm redeeming a free game.)

Alvis

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
I have a Ryzen 3700x and same issue. EGS is taking 2.5% of CPU resources and my CPU Core Temp went up to 50 degrees from 35 with it active and 44 degrees in the background.

Will be exiting when not using (which is always, unless I'm redeeming a free game.)
You can redeem the games from the website, without needing to use or install the client.

Or, even better, you can not use the EGS at all :)

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Ryzen 5 3600x

Before EGS -
jaRDcaH.png

After EGS -
ucUXtxD.png

Seeing the Ryzen Master in those Screenshots. I had it for a while and read a little bit about using the auto OC not being a great idea for a CPU like the 3600x (it's in my build too) - what's your experience with the program? Do you use it often? Do you use it to overclock?

Omega.X

Oct 28, 2017
5900X here and can confirm the issue. I go from 30 degrees idle to a constant 50 with EGS open. Hopefully it's something they can get sorted out soon.