• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Morten88

Dec 22, 2019
Last edited:

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tried it on a ryzen 3600 and no difference.

I did have issues with EGS a year or so ago, where installing a new Nvidia driver would for whatever reason cause the EGS to ping my CPU 100 percent (and had to be forced close). Doesn't happen anymore though.

Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone know if this also happens to intel cpus and what could even take up so much of the cpu?

Are you sure you don't want to ask the question whether it is true?

I have a 3600, with all the PBOs and AutoOC on, and... it doesn't happen. You open the launcher, yes, a few degrees go up because it has to load and communicate with the store, but after you minimize it, my temps go back down.

So... the first thing that you should do is verify that this information is true in the first place. Internet is full of lies and trolls. Whipping reddit's mob into something they already dislike (fuck intel, fuck EGS, fuck Jeff Bezos) is easy, upvotes will trickle down regardless of the actual content.

Oct 25, 2017
Disabling programs that use resources lowers temperatures, shocking. You could do this with a dozen popular PC programs and chips and see a difference. Not to mention the 5800x runs nutritiously hot, and the launcher was probably updating a game in the background, it's such a non-story.

Programs like iCue are far worse across the board.

JEH

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Huh. I've noticed really high idle temps for me with my 5800x...to the point I just bought an AIO cooler to see if that will help...going to try this when I get home.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Let me try to close it

Oh wait I don't have it installed and I'll never install it.
Disabling programs that use resources lowers temperatures, shocking. You could do this with a dozen popular PC programs and chips and see a difference. Not to mention the 5800x runs nutritiously hot, and the launcher was probably updating a game in the background, it's such a non-story.

Funny how it doesn't happen with Steam or GOG Galaxy or Uplay or etc. And people in that thread confirm that it does indeed lower their temperature, I'm sure that every single one was updating a game AND dumb enough to not realize that that was the issue. Sounds reasonable.
A ton of people also said that memory.csv file totally worked for gaining FPS in Cyberpunk despite it turning out to be a file that did literally nothing.
A lot of people said that the Ryzen fix worked and did indeed allow the game to use all threads.

And it did

Smoolio

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Just tried it on my 5800x, 55c to 45c in a few min.

Edit: back up to 48c, pretty anecdotal.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Can't confirm the problem with a Ryzen 3800x.
Epic Store has been smooth sailing for me since forever. Apparently, there is an advantage in being super basic, lol.

Calabi

Oct 26, 2017
Makes sense I just noticed with the Epic Launcher closed and sitting in my taskbar it has about 3% to 5% cpu usage.

Exposure

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of people said that the Ryzen fix worked and did indeed allow the game to use all threads.

And it did
Funny you should bring that up:

When people actually tested it, they found the opposite of what was being claimed: lower end Ryzen CPUs benefited from the hex edit mod (which bore out with how the later patch for Cyberpunk specifically mentioned they improved performance for lower end Ryzens), while they couldn't replicate the absurd performance increases people said they were getting with the higher end CPUs.

Aug 30, 2020
Ah yes, the same forum with such gems such as programmers who claim csv are secret memory hacker files, and that increasing core counts in games automagically brings 30% performance boosts.

Reddit has a lot of video games snake oil these days.

Oct 27, 2017
Epic Store has been smooth sailing for me since forever. Apparently, there is an advantage in being super basic, lol.

I don't think that EGS is as efficient as you believe it to be. It is never fast or sub-percent CPU usage. Steam is slow too, and Xbox thing is not functional for the most part.

Discord remains the benchmark in quickness and invisible resource usage for me. Sure it doesn't launch games, but it can track hundreds of channels at once with 0 inconvenience for the user.

Alvis

Oct 25, 2017
Funny you should bring that up:

When people actually tested it, they found the opposite of what was being claimed: lower end Ryzen CPUs benefited from the hex edit mod (which bore out with how the later patch for Cyberpunk specifically mentioned they improved performance for lower end Ryzens), while they couldn't replicate the absurd performance increases people said they were getting with the higher end CPUs.

And when did I say anything about performance increases? I'm talking about how the mod disables an arbitrary limit that has no reason to exist. And it does.

I use it on my 5800X. Does it increase my framerate? Probably not excluding some edge cases, since the game doesn't need to use all my 16 threads and my 3070 is the "bottleneck". Is there a single reason to forbid the game from using all my threads? Fuck no.

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
I was super skeptical, but I do see enough going on to suggest that Epic is doing something actively that takes more CPU than Steam. I mean, ignoring temps for a sec the difference in Task Manager is pretty direct: ~3% (Epic) vs. ~0.1% (Steam).

But hey, I have a 5800X so let's do a super quick/not rigorous test! CPU Tctl/Tdie Current Temp in HWiNFO64 after idling for two minutes:
  • Windows Baseline (Epic/Steam not running): ~50 C
  • Steam Running (Minimized to Tray): ~54 C
  • Epic Running (Minimized to Tray): ~64 C
  • Steam Library open (Epic is closed): ~58 C
  • Epic Window open, but hidden behind Chrome: ~66.5 C
I did notice 72.5 C if you idle on the Library page, but that's as the active window - losing focus (like, say, putting a Chrome window overtop) drops the temperature immediately.

tl;dr yep, Epic uses more CPU even in the tray, which explains why temps are higher. Temps != performance though, so I can't say if this does anything other than simply make your CPU a bit hotter. Could be just the 5800X likes to aggressively ramp power stages?

I_love_potatoes

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jul 6, 2020
My PC goes crazy when I open Epic Games Store. The library doesn't scroll smooth either. Steam, GOG, uPlay and Origin are all fine though.

Conjo

Oct 27, 2017
Lei Colmosna
Yeah there's something really odd with Epic's launcher. I have it set up so that I open my games through GOG Galaxy and have it close the Epic Games app when I close an Epic Games game, and it kind of does that, the icon is not there on the tray or anything. But the process is there, in the background, using 8% to 10% of my laptop's CPU according to Task Manager with "High" energy consumption...

Sabin

Oct 25, 2017
Thermals of my 5800X. Crazymoogle

unknown.png

and some of the stuff thats currently running in the background.

unknown.png

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
I don't have epic store but I'm guessing there are ads on the main window and it's likely the ad rotation running in the background is why usage and temps are higher than they should be.

Or it could be crypto mining. Lol

whiteninja

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Ive noticed epic is using a consistent 2% while steam (and origin) are around 0.05% or less.

Deleted member 34714

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 28, 2017
I was thinking this was bs but I just checked and the EGS launcher uses 22% of my CPU atm, wtf?

nm it dropped to 10% but still why?

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
I don't have epic store but I'm guessing there are ads on the main window and it's likely the ad rotation running in the background is why usage and temps are higher than they should be.

Or it could be crypto mining. Lol

Wasn't there something a while back about it doing stuff in the background, like collecting some Steam data or something?

Grimminski

Oct 27, 2017
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
My 3600 sits at 38-40C with the EGS closed, and about 45-50C with it open but minimized.

It's always doing something in the background, like scrolling through the winter sale deals and game updates.

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝
I noticed this with my 5900X. Epic Games Launcher raises temps of my CPU by almost 20 degrees while all the other programs I have running combined maybe increase temps by maybe around one or two degrees all together.

Everything off: 37c
Steam, GOG Galaxy, MSI Dragon Center, Xbox App open and maximized: 37-39c
Just EGS open (minimized or maximized): 54-57c

I have removed it from Autostart for now.

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia

Sounds about right for Windows stock idle. Your idle temp is quite a bit different than mine, but I live in Singapore where the average temp is 30 C, so having a lower idle is not surprising elsewhere. What you should try doing is closing Steam, opening Epic (and minimizing) to see how the temperature readout changes.

JEH

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Please let us know if its true or not

Wow. Yeah I was idling in the mid-high 50s before now I'm mid 30s to low 40s. It's been driving me nuts the last couple of weeks because out of nowhere my idles were jumping up and I couldn't figure out why. Thought it was because I might have had bad thermal paste application but looks like this solved it.

Stacey

Banned
Feb 8, 2020
So it's a 5000 series issue?

My 3900x idles at 35c with EGS running until of course it starts downloading a game or update.

Shoshi

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
Yeah, my Mabook Pro's fans ramp up like hell while browsing in the app.

But can you launch a game without Epic?

Ganado

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
5-8c more with EGS, 1-2c with Steam on a Intel 8086k.
A big problem with EGS is that while the client might be basic, it's actually made in Unreal Engine.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
Honestly the 5800x just runs hot, it seems to have a pretty aggressive performance profile (though that's not really a bad thing). Though, mine has been running a lot cooler since updating the chipset drivers and downloaded Ryzen Master.

I don't have the Epic thing.

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
I think this is mostly due to how aggressively AMD handles power states.

Wasn't there something a while back about it doing stuff in the background, like collecting some Steam data or something?

Epic said they changed that from only collect when you import friends from Steam rather than actively copying data from Steam and only using when you import friends.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
I have a 3700X and funny enough, I noticed that I was getting a ton of micro stutters I'm GTA 5 when I leave the EGS app opened (even if minimized in the tray).

Deleted member 15476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I haven't used EGS all that much to have an opinion on the matter, but I've noticed Steam consumes a lot less resources when it doesn't display Web content (either in Small Mode or minimized to the tray). I wish it had a built in option to minimize to tray when launching a game, like the xbox app.

Caspar

Oct 29, 2017
UK
Quick temps on my 3600:

Nothing open - 33-35 C​
Epic Store open - 50 C​
Epic Store minimized - 45 C​
Epic Store closed but still open in tray - 40 C​
Steam open - 35-37 C​
Steam minimized - 35 C​
Steam closed but still open in tray - 35 C​

Xbox app is similar to Steam temps

DPB

Nov 1, 2017
It's not enough to affect temperatures, but EGS uses between 3-10% of my ancient 4570 even when on the library page or minimised to the system tray.

Not sure what it's doing in the background when Steam and GOG Galaxy typically use less than 0.5%.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
EGS is full blown an Unreal app instead of just a rebranded web browser so it will use more resources.

Alvis

Oct 25, 2017
I think this is mostly due to how aggressively AMD handles power states.

Epic said they changed that from only collect when you import friends from Steam rather than actively copying data from Steam and only using when you import friends.
To the first point - So why doesn't it happen with Steam, Origin, Uplay, GOG etc?

To the second point - They made changes because they got caught. They are still a shady company.

Oct 25, 2017
UK NW
Can confirm after testing that is indeed true. These are the temps while idle and not even being signed in...

Idle.png

And these are the temps with EGS launcher being closed down.

unknown.png

While normally idle, processor sits between 35-40 degrees with EGS closed down.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
I'm actually surprised people leave it on. The only launcher I leave hanging is Steam which doesn't take much resources.

YuSuzzune

Nov 21, 2018

13c are way too much for a simple launcher.