• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 34132

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 23, 2017
Can't wait for friday. Dirt Rally is my favorite racing game this gen. So far this looks like they took the best elements of Dirt Rally and mixed them with the best elements of Dirt 4.

yokochan

Jan 21, 2019
Must be posted in every rally game thread.

Oh god the insanity 😂
I have the game for about a week (for reviewing purposes), I can answer to questions :)
If you are on PS4 Pro: how stable is the framerate? And is there lots of pop in?
Yeah, it is. Just hope they port Greece too. It was my favourite country to race w in.
Greece was hell, so bloody rage inducing lol

membran

Oct 27, 2017
Do you guys think the Oculus VR support they've announced for summer will be a patch for the Steam version, a paid DLC, or - worst case - a special version of the game exclusive to the Oculus store?

erd

Self-Requested Temporary Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm really hyped for this. Dirt Rally is my favorite racing game and I'm really looking forward to playing something like that again.
Greece was hell, so bloody rage inducing lol
That's the main reason why I loved it. I wasn't any good at the game, but getting through some of the Greece stages in particular always made me feel great.

lazerfox

Oct 26, 2017
Switzerland
I recently got a Logitech Wheel + Stick shift and promply fell back in love with DR1. It's almost a different game compared when playing with a gamepad. One thing I can't get used to though is the handbrake mapping. No matter where I put it, I always kinda fumble to press the button in turns.
Which button worked out the best for y'all?

yokochan

Jan 21, 2019
I recently got a Logitech Wheel + Stick shift and promply fell back in love with DR1. It's almost a different game compared when playing with a gamepad. One thing I can't get used to though is the handbrake mapping. No matter where I put it, I always kinda fumble to press the button in turns.
Which button worked out the best for y'all?
I also got a Logi wheel and stick just for Dirt Rally. What an amazing experience. And yeah, always felt the same way about the handbrake mapping, I put it on the circle button (or was that the default?), as it's the one most to the right and therefore maybe best suited for stressfull situations. Not optimal at all though.

taftaoc

Dec 29, 2017
Apsolutely adored first game, played 50+ h with contoller (DS4), wasn't too bad.

Last week I finally got Thrustmaster T300 + playseat challenge in preparation for this..

For guys who are already playing >

Did framerate improved on PS4 (slim), I had pretty bad dips and tearing in Monte Carlo..

How about FFB, it's not very good in current state (talking about first one on ps4)..

I saw that Monte Carlo, Sweden and Germany are also coming - will they include new routes or just updated old ones.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Streaming for a bit here whilst I finish off my review: https://www.twitch.tv/bloma

Feel free to jump in and I'll answer any questions people might have.

Damn, looks great.

I really wanna pick this up but I don't know what version to grab. I kinda wanna get it on the Oculus store for the VR but I don't know whether that'll be playable outside of VR? I own the first game on Steam and can obviously do both. Anyone own the first game on Oculus and can confirm whether it's playable outside of VR? It must be surely?

GTAce

Oct 27, 2017
Bonn, Germany
Game's great, but fuck that DLC plan. Will buy it cheap when it has some sort of complete edition.
That stuff is some EA-level bullshit.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
I played the first one less than I wanted to. Getting my TM300 out of the corner and set it up only takes a minute but it's this one minute that more often made me pass on it and I played a different game that is easily played with a pad instead. Got Dirt 2 today and I'm really interested in what they have improved and/or changed, though.

Damn, I need a better, maybe more permanent solution, but I can't just let the wheel be standing in the middle of the living room, infront of my TV.

danowat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Think I'll wait till the proper release date (21st May) not sure why I'd pay full price for it now considering what's missing, vs discounted price in May when it will be complete.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
I sucked at dirt rally but damn it was an awesome time. I never really know how to progress properly in racing games, any tips?
What exactly is the problem? Circuit racing is very different from oval or rally racing, for example. But very generally spoken: start slow and try hitting the apexes by braking early and improve bit by bit. It's way more rewarding than trying to push it to the limits and constantly loosing control and getting off track. Try to actively understand the car; what did I do that it behaves like that? How behaves the car when I promptly get off the acceleration and what happens when the transition is more gradual? What happens when I leave my foot just a tiny bit on the brakes while acceleration through a corner.

Also: it's not your corner entry speed that matters (don't break into a corner too late; tail-breaking into a corner is another, advanced topic, though), it's the exit speed that matters in most cases (especially if there's a long straight after the corner, to carry as much speed into that straight and gain more seconds the longer the straight is). A corner is divided in turn-in, apex, and exit. Try to master and be smooth at every step, but keep in mind that usually the smoother your turn-in is the better is your exit.

Spades

Oct 26, 2017
Such a minor, unimportant thing, but how deep is the team building element? Like could I make Juicy GP and customise my liveries?

See, I don't think that it is just a minor, unimportant thing. And to answer your question, no, you can't name your team and you can only select liveries on a per-car basis. It totally ruined the whole "My Team" vibe for me. Creating your driver is just the same avatars from the F1 games with zero option to customise overalls, helmet, etc.

Honestly, Codemasters could do a lot better in general with this stuff. It's the same in F1. Why is it so difficult to allow me to complete create my helmet from scratch? Why do I have to select my avatar from a list of people who look nothing like me? There's little point in putting the player in the game if you can't actually put the player in the game properly, IMO.

yokochan

Jan 21, 2019
Game's great, but fuck that DLC plan. Will buy it cheap when it has some sort of complete edition.
Think I'll wait till the proper release date (21st May) not sure why I'd pay full price for it now considering what's missing, vs discounted price in May when it will be complete.
Agreed. They should have gone the Hitman 2 route: import all levels/tracks from the first into the improved engine of the second game without any additional cost if you own the first game. Reward loyalty, motivate new players to get the predecessor as well and increase the size of your new game, all in one stroke. Everybody wins!
I played the first one less than I wanted to. Getting my TM300 out of the corner and set it up only takes a minute but it's this one minute that more often made me pass on it and I played a different game that is easily played with a pad instead. Got Dirt 2 today and I'm really interested in what they have improved and/or changed, though.

Damn, I need a better, maybe more permanent solution, but I can't just let the wheel be standing in the middle of the living room, infront of my TV.
So true, sadly. Truly a first world problem, but from a certain point on I also got tired of setting everything up and putting it away again because of my limited space. Same for VR.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
Definitely buying when VR supports comes, wouldn't have even considered it without.
The first one had by far the best VR implementation of any racing game, as far as immersion goes, in my opinion.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
So true, sadly. Truly a first world problem, but from a certain point on I also got tired of setting everything up and putting it away again because of my limited space. Same for VR.

This happens to me way to often :( Come home tired and want to play a game, but need to hook up a USB cable and slightly reposition my G920 on my desk? Naah.

Gets even worse if I want to play in VR.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
This happens to me way to often :( Come home tired and want to play a game, but need to hook up a USB cable and slightly reposition my G920 on my desk? Naah.
Good to see I'm not alone with the problem. I think it is the cables that's bothering me the most; power plug in one corner, USB plug into the PC that's on the other side. The wheel is on its wheel stands alongside my couch. Then I only had to pull it forward, fold it up and start playing. If there wouldn't be any cables running directly across my living room I could probably just leave it there.

Maybe I can improve the cable management somehow...

King Onion

Oct 27, 2017
I am also curious about framerate on PS4 Pro. Have the option of going PC but I generally stick to console in most cases.

Kaji AF16

Nov 6, 2017
Argentina
Even after the relatively dissapointing Dirt 4, this is probably the game I have been expecting with more anxiety during the last year. Well, excluding RDR2, that is.

A small heads-up about its price on the Argentina Xbox Store for those who want to get it but haven´t preordered:
-Pre-order (Standard) Edition: 549 pesos (roughly $14.80) plus taxes.
-Digital Deluxe Edition: 649 pesos (roughly $17.50) plus taxes.

Blent

Oct 26, 2017
East Midlands, England, UK
See, I don't think that it is just a minor, unimportant thing. And to answer your question, no, you can't name your team and you can only select liveries on a per-car basis. It totally ruined the whole "My Team" vibe for me. Creating your driver is just the same avatars from the F1 games with zero option to customise overalls, helmet, etc.

Honestly, Codemasters could do a lot better in general with this stuff. It's the same in F1. Why is it so difficult to allow me to complete create my helmet from scratch? Why do I have to select my avatar from a list of people who look nothing like me? There's little point in putting the player in the game if you can't actually put the player in the game properly, IMO.
Well, it's a big deal to me too as I love that kind of personalisation stuff. I just know that it's probably a superficial thing for a lot of people and I didn't want the lack of it to detract from the meat of the game itself if it really is as good as it sounds like it is.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
I kind of viewed my digital deluxe preorder as a way of communicating that i want to support this pretty niche game. I want a dirt rally 3.

GTAce

Oct 27, 2017
Bonn, Germany
Agreed. They should have gone the Hitman 2 route: import all levels/tracks from the first into the improved engine of the second game without any additional cost if you own the first game. Reward loyalty, motivate new players to get the predecessor as well and increase the size of your new game, all in one stroke. Everybody wins!
Yup, would've made me cheer for 'em.

yokochan

Jan 21, 2019
I kind of viewed my digital deluxe preorder as a way of communicating that i want to support this pretty niche game. I want a dirt rally 3.
100% with you on that. Given how much I loved Dirt Rally I happily paid for the deluxe edition to show my support.
From that point of view I guess you're right up to a certain degree. It's not really comparable to the milking with microtransactions and lootboxes and whatnot some of the bigger publishers do with games that will make them a fortune anyways. Codemasters need the money so they can keep developing for it's relatively small audience and it's good that they are giving this a bit more support compared to the first one.

But there's a very fine line to walk with the "support developers" argument, because the important question will always be where to draw the line (would you also buy everything there is to support them if the game was riddled with timed unlocks and microtransactions, f.e.? Where's the limit exactly?).

I would be on board if the Season 1 (and probably 2) tracks were completely new content they had to develop from scratch and if they released them further down the line. As it stands, though, you're paying at least 20€ extra for graphical updates for old content that they release mere weeks after the game. In my eyes this makes it a 90€ game instead of the standard 70€ (at least on console, that is).

Like I wrote above: why not make the updated old content free for everyone who bought the first game, which will also motivate everyone else towards buying Dirt 1 (like with Hitman 2 and 1)? I think more people would be on board with that, as they would feel like they're getting "more" instead of "less". We certainly wouldn't be having this discussion and instead praise Codemasters for their awesome policy and I don't see why it would make them any less money (on the contrary).

OP
OP
janusff

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I don't know, I may be wrong, but isn't the amount of content at launch pretty much par for the course for Dirt games? Dirt Rally has pretty much the same amount of locations going for it if I remember. Anyway if there is a thing I don't like about the release is the staggered launch for the deluxe edition. never cared for that practice. also it rushed me to make this OT dammit

I can see the point of view about folks being miffed at the season 1 content, being that they're remastered tracks from the first game. But that honestly doesn't bother me much anyway. Don't have to pop in the first game anymore and will make this the definitive Dirt Rally.

Jamesways

Oct 28, 2017
Minneapolis
I don't know, I may be wrong, but isn't the amount of content at launch pretty much par for the course for Dirt games? Dirt Rally has pretty much the same amount of locations going for it if I remember. Anyway if there is a thing I don't like about the release is the staggered launch for the deluxe edition. never cared for that practice. also it rushed me to make this OT dammit

I can see the point of view about folks being miffed at the season 1 content, being that they're remastered tracks from the first game. But that honestly doesn't bother me much anyway. Don't have to pop in the first game anymore and will make this the definitive Dirt Rally.
Exactly my thoughts, I'd love to see all of the stages from 1 in with a new coat of paint. And if they have my 3 favorite WRC cars from the first, there's no need to boot up 1 anymore.

I didn't know about the early release, that's a nice surprise honestly. Excited to play it soon, it's pre-loading already.
I can see people getting bent out of shape on the early release with multiplayer PVP shooters especially, but this is a bit different as it's just setting times early if you're interested in comparing leaderboard stats. It is an odd practice though.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know, I may be wrong, but isn't the amount of content at launch pretty much par for the course for Dirt games? Dirt Rally has pretty much the same amount of locations going for it if I remember.

Yup I had thought it was roughly the same track number as well. To the folks who are upset about content and DLC plans, do you have a direct comparison for launch (ie. once it came out of early access) of DiRT Rally vs. DR 2.0?

danowat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yup I had thought it was roughly the same track number as well. To the folks who are upset about content and DLC plans, do you have a direct comparison for launch (ie. once it came out of early access) of DiRT Rally vs. DR 2.0?
it's 6 for 6, but the lack of a snow track puts me right off.

I also don't like episodic or heavily mapped out DLC in premium priced games.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
it's 6 for 6, but the lack of a snow track puts me right off.

I also don't like episodic or heavily mapped out DLC in premium priced games.

I hear you - and I have actually never bought a season's pass in advance. But generally, I don't mind if a dev releases a finished game - which from the reviews I think we can be confident we are getting that - and maps out their plans to support it in the future, so long as it's clear that content wasn't hived off from the launch. In that case, it's 20 bucks that I would realistically definitely spend on this extra content down the road, based on past DiRT games, so if I pre-order two days early (which I did) once the reviews are available, I still basically know what I'm getting, get it early and it helps the team out.

The latter point is kind of important to me - I think DiRT 4 really flopped and DiRT Rally didn't blow the doors off either. I can't believe we're getting rally games at this level of quality given the racing genre has completely fucking died, so I'm honestly kind of happy to support in any way I can.

BUT... these methods are also being employed and abused more and more and I would fully understand someone not wanting to support them.

danowat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Have the priced the DLC yet?, not that it would make a huge amount of difference, I am not really in a place that I'd be able to play it right away at the moment anyway!

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
Have the priced the DLC yet?, not that it would make a huge amount of difference, I am not really in a place that I'd be able to play it right away at the moment anyway!
No, but since the deluxe is +$20 ($10 for each of the two announced seasons), id think each season token would be $15 seperately

Jamesways

Oct 28, 2017
Minneapolis
So if you dont get the deluxe edition you dont get any rallies in Monte Carlo, Germany or Sweden locations? So what locations are actually included in the base game?
From an excellent list on GT Planet- 6 Rally locations, 8 Rallycross

Rally locations:
Argentina, Catamarca:

Las Juntas - 8.25km
Valle de los puentes - 7.98km
Camino de acantilados y rocas - 5.30km
San Isidro - 4.48km
Miraflores - 3.35km
El Rodeo - 2.84 km
Reverse:
Camino a La Puerta - 8.25km
Valle de los puentes a la inversa - 7.98km