• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

delete

Jul 4, 2019
It seems finally we have some actual footage of a game (preview build) running on Series X:

Series X Dirt 5 has image quality mode which runs between 30 and 60fps, and the frame rate mode gets close to 60fps.

Last edited:

shancake

Managing Editor ‑ Press Start
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't say it has any bearing on the Series X (since I don't think it's a good demonstration of the hardware), but man, this game is just unimpressive, especially after hearing the resolution and framerates it runs at.

That being said, the stuff in this particular video does look GOOD. Just not anything noticeably impressive.

Rocco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Texas
This video went up 1 minute after midnight EST. Embargo lifted. Expecting lots of footage tomorrow.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
A bunch of other coverage links are up in the other Xbox Series X thread (including mine), all went live about 40 minutes ago.

tobes231

Prophet of Truth
Jul 10, 2019
Australia
Youtube compression is really struggling to show off this game properly imo. Codies' last few games have looked really good.

Mecha

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Honduras
I remember the Dirt 5 devs said they had to do very little optimization to get the game running at 120 fps, I expected less compromises overall and no 4k locked 60 fps mode is a huge bummer.

I was excited to play it since it's made by the ex Evolution team but it seems they are being held back by their in house engine (probably). How they sort this shortly.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
dirt5-gymkhana-4k-1440x810.png

This is the resolution mode. This looks awful, what the hell. Where are the shadows for anything?

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
A bunch of other coverage links are up in the other Xbox Series X thread (including mine), all went live about 40 minutes ago.
I noticed some really bad screen tearing in the Press Start gameplay footage (particularly at the 4K Resolution mode), but didn't see it mentioned in your article. Is that video indicative of your experience as well?

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
I noticed some really bad screen tearing in the Press Start gameplay footage (particularly at the 4K Resolution mode), but didn't see it mentioned in your article. Is that video indicative of your experience as well?

I tested primarily on an LG CX, and in my piece, I describe how DiRT 5 is not currently playing well with XSX's variable refresh rate setting. But what I played tears far less on my CX than in the YT video you're talking about. Still, the video's bounciness between 30fps and 60fps is in line with what I've tested.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
I tested primarily on an LG CX, and in my piece, I describe how DiRT 5 is not currently playing well with XSX's variable refresh rate setting. But what I played tears far less on my CX than in the YT video you're talking about. Still, the video's bounciness between 30fps and 60fps is in line with what I've tested.
Well, that's good at least. I couldn't deal with screen tearing like that.

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
This did not look impressive. Looks pretty much like a straight port of the last gen version.

Shark

Oct 28, 2017
Raleigh, NC
If there's ever a time to get people in to a racing game that usually aren't, it's at launch of new hardware. Even with that going for it, this is just throughly underwhelming even though I really want to like it.

Tratorn

Oct 25, 2017
I thought about buying the PS5 version because I didn't play a racing game for quite some time. But if even the Series X version doesn't run smoothly, I'm not really looking forward to see how it runs on PS5.
Hopefully it is just an old enough preview version that they could still have some time to get those FPS up.
Not getting my hopes up there though, because if that would be the case I doubt MS would've used this version for their previews of the XSX.

Oct 27, 2017
Last edited:

Micerider

Nov 11, 2017

If console VRR is anything like GSync on C9 and CX models, then it wouldn't go below 40hz. If the games drop frames below that, that might be where tearing happens? This could be good as it would come down to optimisation to not go below 40 I/ps

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017
OT but kinda not, wasn't there supposed to be Yakuza gameplay as well?

tusharngf

Oct 29, 2017
Lordran
They should have shown something else instead of dirt as it doesnt look next gen at all. Gears5 with raytracing is a better option here.

aspiring

Oct 25, 2017
Sigh. now all my hopes and dreams are firmly in shinobis hands as I have everything crossed maybe destruction all stars is good. Although I will play horizon 4, I was really looking forward to buying a new racing game at launch. Mean what is a new launch with no racing game!

save us based Shinobi!!!!

BeeDog

Oct 26, 2017
Looks like a fun game, definitely, but it's not really a new-gen showcase, that's for sure. Most of these features, like the 120 fps, just feels like bullet-point checks, and the worst part is the environments feel completely static. The lack of any kind of deformation blows, hard.

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'd be interested to see if anyone actually wants to play in 120fps, given the large list of sacrifices.

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
They shouldn't rush out the next version of this game, just let people use backward compatibility for now and patch it when it's been fully optimized.

shancake

Managing Editor ‑ Press Start
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

I did experience tearing both playing on my monitor at 1440P and also on my TV which is 4K, so I'm not really sure what was happening. It's important to note that this still is a preview build and not final by any means.