• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Plum

May 31, 2018
220px-BladeRunnerRoyBattySpeech.jpeg

I've played things you people wouldn't believe. Dirt racing at 100 miles per hour in the mountains of Nepal. I watched betrayals and shocking twists in the seedy world of the Yakuza. I beat Doctor Octopus as Spider-Man and devoured whole legions of people as a Man-eating Shark

All those saves... will be lost on the PS5. Like a WiiWare game in... the rain.

Time to replay.

12Danny123

Jan 31, 2018
Sony really needs to improve their back end and Backwards compatibility if they want to create a viable subscription service. Imagine the streamed game you played and saved progress in Sony's PS4 server racks and when Sony upgrades the servers to PS5, your saves for that game are gone. BC might not be important for consoles, but for subscription services, it's vital.

MTR

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure there is a solution for cyberpunk but it does feel like a bit of a risk for when they release the ps5 update. I would not be happy losing my saves

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
Psychonauts 2 was originally crowdsourced via Fig.com, way before the Xbox acquisition & I chose the PS4 as my platform of choice. But now that Double Fine is part of Xbox Game Studios, not only is there not a guarantee of a PS5 version, there's no guarantee that if that PS5 version gets made, that cross-save will be available from PS4 to PS5.
Ah yes, that would be the context I was looking for. Mm yea, hope they figure out how to make it work. Psychonauts would be the type of game I'd be worried about based on the examples we've seen so far. What irony it would be if Xbox 1st party could figure out how to do cross saves on PlayStation when not all of Sony's games are doing it XD. I mean, MS has the money to take care of cloud saves on Double Fine's side, but whether or not they opt to take that expense or not remains to be seen (I doubt it..)

I've played things you people wouldn't believe. Dirt racing at 100 miles per hour in the mountains of Nepal. I watched betrayals and shocking twists in the seedy world of the Yakuza. I beat Doctor Octopus as Spider-Man and devoured whole legions of people as a Man-eating Shark

Time to replay.
LOL I appreciate this.

PeaceSeeker

Chicken Chaser
Apr 17, 2018

Time to replay.
Really good

I think the problem is due to ps4 and ps5 version are considered as two games at playstation OS level. Ps5 ver can't access the ps4 ver just like cod can't access battlefield save. It is a kind of 'protection' embedded in os

Why you can get free upgrade is because sony has your purchase record. It is easier to base on and it is one time thing.

In xbox, the game is treated as a single ver so that the save is accessible across xbox one , xbox series and even pc(if it supports xbox play anywhere)

Even if dev offers solution to transfer ps4 save to ps5. I highly doubt you can continue your progress in ps4 after you have played in ps5.

Oct 29, 2017
I don't know if this is a reductive way of looking at it, but they're all problems with poorly architected data models.

With PSN usernames it sounded like each chosen username was the database key rather than a user id that had a changeable name attached.

Here it sounds like each SKU container for a game might have its own ID rather than there being a collection that SKUs being to.

Ding ding ding.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
The gyro crammed into the DS3 was rarely used.

The gimmicks packed into the DS4 were barely used.

The gimmicks packed into the new controller will go largely ignored by devs.
Gyro aiming is far from a gimmick, and the tech has become a staple inclusion in pretty much every console except the Xbox. Obviously some companies actually want players to see the benefits, or at least push developers to try and make it a standard. The lightbar was used in every PSVR game - which was important to the advancement of the medium. Re: DualSense. It's easy to count things out until they matter. As I've said once before, everything's a "gimmick" to some people based on preconceived notions, until it actually proves to be valuable to the gameplay experience. DS seems to be getting great support based on developer chatter, and if it's easy to implement in the SDK then there's no reason why devs won't want to offer some actual gameplay changing features. Sometimes progression is hard to recognise until after the fact.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
we gonna have this thread every time a game doesn't have cross save? The devs have to implement cross save manually, it's not going to happen for most games (same as last gen) because not worth the time and effort. It sucks I guess. I don't think Sony can restructure their messy save system (with continued USB support I hope) in two months for launch for something that applies to a small group of players for what up to 100 games?

yes Smart delivery was a better approach but also more in line with MS's strategy of one continued Xbox ecosystem vs believing in generations

Gyro aiming is far from a gimmick, and the tech has become a staple inclusion in pretty much every console except the Xbox.
They're not quite wrong though, gyro wasn't used on DS3. It took like 10 years for the tech to gain any significant traction. Using it for aiming wasn't really a thing until 3DS/Vita and wasn't commonplace until Switch

Oct 28, 2017
It's a good thing Sony makes excellent games, because they're seemingly inept at everything else. Definitely feels like they're a step behind so far in the lead up to next gen.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
we gonna have this thread every time a game doesn't have cross save? The devs have to implement cross save manually, it's not going to happen for most games (same as last gen) because not worth the time and effort. It sucks I guess. I don't think Sony can restructure their messy save system (with continued USB support I hope) in two months for launch for something that applies to a small group of players for what up to 100 games?

yes Smart delivery was a better approach but also more in line with MS's strategy of one continued Xbox ecosystem vs believing in generations

They're not quite wrong though, gyro wasn't used on DS3. It took like 10 years for the tech to gain any significant traction. Using it for aiming wasn't really a thing until 3DS/Vita and wasn't commonplace until Switch

The stupid thing is that devs/publishers are already using extra time/effort producing the PS5 version and offering it for free as an upgrade. So there is some admin/submission update/technical changes needed to tie those two versions together so you can upgrade for free. use case for this is so people that own (and therefore likely play) the PS4 version will be able to update (and likely play) the PS5 version. But they can't continue that play? its nuts. Its a basic requirement that should be high on developer/publisher lists as soon as this was identified as something they wanted to do.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I thought people were joking about the moneyhat of cross saving. Now I'm worried people are actually serious.

cmdrshepard

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017

I mean it is news that seemingly big publishers and developers like Sega and Codemasters seemingly can not get their cross-gen games to have cross-save despite putting in the time and effort into making the enhancements free for their consumers. The fact that these large publishers are giving up on cross save indicate that it must not be worth the effort they would have to put in for it and yet are offering it for their Xbox versions of the same game.

When the system Sony has made has made it a case by case basis i think it should be news so people know what to expect and may influence their decision to buy or not.

Brohan

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Netherlands
Dirt 5 is not an 'older' game. It hasn't even released yet.

What Xbox is doing is letting your progress in this generation go with you to the next generation.

It was a general statement. Was not talking about Dirt 5 specifically.

Point is that Xbox seems to be the place to be if you care about replaying your games or in this case continuing your game that you played on your soon to be last gen console.

This won't be a problem for next-gen only games. Which is why I worded it the way that I did.

It also won't be a problem for me personally because I have been skipping out on many games in favor of waiting for them to release on the next-gen consoles.

As I have said before though, It's definitely frustrating and Sony should really get to work here while Microsoft has got their shit in order when it comes to stuff like this.

Deleted member 50232

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 3, 2018
All of this is why i suspect Series X will be my default platform for third party games.

This gen it was the PS4 (at least until the X was released).

Last edited:

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
All of this is why i suspect Series X will be by default platform for third party games.

This gen it was the PS4 (at least until the X was released).

Nah, PS5 will be the default platform. PlayStation is vastly more popular as a brand worldwide and the general sentiment seems to be that their dev tools are better/easier to use than Microsoft's. Even if both sets of dev tools were equally good, there's still the matter of the Series S. Releasing your game on Xbox means you have to create and optimize two different versions of your game. Microsoft claims doing so is pretty straightforward, but it's still more work. This isn't an issue with Sony's approach; a PS5 is a PS5 and they have the same internals so only one version is needed.

If by default platform you mean "platform with the best versions of third party games" then that's kind of a toss-up. Series X will have the graphics advantage and PS5 will have the load times advantage.

Deleted member 50232

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 3, 2018
Nah, PS5 will be the default platform. PlayStation is vastly more popular as a brand worldwide and the general sentiment seems to be that their dev tools are better/easier to use than Microsoft's. Even if both sets of dev tools were equally good, there's still the matter of the Series S. Releasing your game on Xbox means you have to create and optimize two different versions of your game. Microsoft claims doing so is pretty straightforward, but it's still more work. This isn't an issue with Sony's approach; a PS5 is a PS5 and they have the same internals so only one version is needed.

If by default platform you mean "platform with the best versions of third party games" then that's kind of a toss-up. Series X will have the graphics advantage and PS5 will have the load times advantage.

Sorry meant to put my default platform instead of 'by'.

Doh!

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
With the exception of Miles Morales, I think all of those games use a second account or keep progress in their servers, since their progress are partially or entirely online.

Borderlands does not. I lost my PS4 saves on Borderlands once already, they're local.

Presumably the game just needs to search for a save file using title ID a, or title ID b. Smart delivery on XBOX means that developers don't need to do anything, because there is only a, but it shouldn't be all that difficult for devs to set their games up so that they can read both.

With that said, I think people on ERA are blowing the value of this feature out of proportion. It affects what, a small number of titles that release in the next few months? Late adopters possibly suffer, but if you're that concerned then it probably just makes sense to wait and buy the PS5 versions of the games that you want to play. I think outside of ERA, most folks won't even think about it.

Last edited:

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020

I think this is true for those developers who aren't making a PC version of their game, which is increasingly less and less these days.

The PS5 dev kit being so close to the PS4 has everyone singing it's praises, which is awesome. The downside to that is we've seen what happens when you build for PS4 and try to later port to PC, you get variable results (Death Stranding vs Horizon for example).

Microsofts approach this new generation is to release a unified GDK where you game can be built for Xbox One, Series X|S and PC and can easily be tested by changing profiles. We know that's come in quite hot and late but once it's stable will make game development on multiple platforms far easier and those platform differences much easier to adjust vs Sony's approach.

Sony's not wrong with what they're doing, but with multi-platform development being increasingly common I wouldn't be surprised to see the Xbox/PC being the lead platforms using the GDK and the PS5 version being a separate branch.

Last edited:

amnesties

Nov 17, 2017
I don't know if this is a reductive way of looking at it, but they're all problems with poorly architected data models.

With PSN usernames it sounded like each chosen username was the database key rather than a user id that had a changeable name attached.

Here it sounds like each SKU container for a game might have its own ID rather than there being a collection that SKUs being to.

that's why it's important to listen in those boring ass database lectures *reminds self*

Oct 28, 2017
Damn we're all waiting for which games will be upgraded but we don't even know whether we'll be able to carry on our game saves loool

imagine restarting TLOU2

Plum

May 31, 2018
Damn we're all waiting for which games will be upgraded but we don't even know whether we'll be able to carry on our game saves loool

imagine restarting TLOU2

This is my greatest fear right now (relative to the situation before someone gets all pedantic). I really want to do a second playthrough of the game to get the Platinum, and before now I was hoping that I'd be able to do it with resolution and framerate upgrades due to the PS5. Instead I'm fully expecting either a paid remaster (with, like Spider-Man, a performance mode that does little other than make the game 60fps) that doesn't support cross-save or a next-gen upgrade that doesn't support cross-save.

Being a fan of Sony's games right now is almost as frustrating as being a fan of Nintendo's back catalogue tbh

Oct 28, 2017
This is my greatest fear right now (relative to the situation before someone gets all pedantic). I really want to do a second playthrough of the game to get the Platinum, and before now I was hoping that I'd be able to do it with resolution and framerate upgrades due to the PS5. Instead I'm fully expecting either a paid remaster (with, like Spider-Man, a performance mode that does little other than make the game 60fps) that doesn't support cross-save or a next-gen upgrade that doesn't support cross-save.

Being a fan of Sony's games right now is almost as frustrating as being a fan of Nintendo's back catalogue tbh

this is why I also ordered an Xbox. Microsoft's job in selling to me has been made a lot easier by Sony.

My progress with the next fallout game will go everywhere with me, including future generations

Oct 27, 2017
That depends on how much of the load time is transferring new data versus processing it with the CPU. Looking at a game like RDR2, it still has like 38 second load times on XSX in BC mode versus 128 seconds on the X1. Knowing that the X1 has a 5400 RPM HDD with probably 80MB/s transfer speeds, and assuming that somehow there was data transfer during the entire 128 second load time:

80*128 = 10240 MB

Now divide by the 2.4 GB/s speed of the XSX SSD:

10240/2400 = 4.3 seconds of the total loading time

Which is absolutely making the most extreme assumptions with the one game that has the longest load times tested. RDR2 probably does not spend the entire 128 seconds on X1 transferring stuff from the hard drive, as SSD/HDD comparisons I see online show it's probably only transferring ~5GB of data so that's roughly a one second difference between PS5 and XSX. The vast majority of the 38 second load time is just the CPU chugging away and XSX is slightly better than the PS5 when it comes to CPU speed.

This is all armchair analysis of course but I think it'll be very funny if some next-gen games load faster on the Series X after all the hyping up of SSD magic sauce. Either way it's going to be imperceptible but I just love the fuckery of it all.

Yankee Ruin X

Oct 31, 2017
Sony really dropping the ball with this kind of thing, with cloud saves there really isn't an excuse for this kind of thing and should have been something they planned for years ago.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
This starts to be problematic for playstation, god damn.

Well, I guess it's another one for Xbox. The pile starts to get pretty f'n huge already of why you definitely should buy an Xbox (Series X) for your multi platform games and therefore as main console.

Slowly starts to feel like everything PS5 offers in comparison are great first party games and that's it, every other single feature is either better on Xbox or only on Xbox. Including services like Game Pass, back compatibility with 50 different reasons and so on.

(I pre-ordered both so doesn't change anything for me, but still)

I'm a bit confused why they can't get this to work while they have cloud saves. That's so weird.

Last edited:

Judau

Oct 28, 2017
I've never been big on PlayStation, so I'm wondering how the hell Sony handled this when cross-buy was a thing on PS3 and Vita. Were cross-saves not implemented then, either?

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Looks like Microsoft has paid this developer for time exclusivity for this too /s

This is the part where people can see the difference between Smart Delivery and whatever Sony is doing.

Last edited:

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
It's so weird to me that this can't be easily fixed by Sony

I think it's down to the developer. There are tons of games that share the same ID across multiple platforms, and cross-save was a very common feature on PS3, PS Vita, and PS4.

Odin Sphere, for example, shares the same ID across PS4, PS3, and PS Vita: https://psnprofiles.com/trophies/4923-odin-sphere-leifthrasir/

Sony's just not mandated it, so it's up to the individual developers how they want to handle things. I know most people here won't care, but the upshot of keeping things separate is that you can earn all the Trophies twice.

JuicyPlayer

Feb 8, 2018
God I hate all of Sony's executives running things now. If it weren't for the exclusives I'd be gone.