• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Add this to the many consumer friendly things sony doesn't deem worth their time. This one is just plain stupid to not have in place.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
This is weird because other games are doing it. Isn't crossgen 2k21 doing this on PS4 to PS5? It doesn't seem like a Sony thing if some games can. Idk
It means devs have to spend their time and money in tech investment to make it possible on Sony consoles while it's built into the tech stack for Xbox consoles and requires significantly less time investment.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That doesn't make sense when there are PS3 games that cross save with PS4 version
there are ps4-ps5 games that do too, but the point is their backend has been a shitshow in this regard forever. It likely means you have to be very specific regarding SKUs for it to work. I mean, this seems really obvious, frankly. It's much like how a disc version of a game and a digital version of a game are 'different' on ps4 somehow, while on xbox it doesn't give a shit it just says 'oh yeah, you're playing Rainbow Six Siege' and pulls the correct version and doesn't care if it'[s a disc or not.

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I guess it's up to developers to choose how they want to incorporate cross-save on PS5. Bit of a shame a couple of games aren't taking advantage of it.

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR
Kind of diminishes the whole point of backwards compatibility a little if you can't even transfer saves... Hope they get this sorted.

Not totally related since this isn't backwards compatibility. At least with Spider-Man Miles Morales (which has a free upgrade and cross-saves), the PS4 version will serve as a key for you to be able to download the native PS5 version. It is not a patch that you download and install on the OG PS4 version.

Deleted member 51789

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 9, 2019
There is something fishy here. Yakuza and Dirt don't support crosssave. Other games support it.

I won't be surprised if there are some marketing deals for those games.
I was going to make a sarcastic post about maybe MS paid for cross-gen save exclusivity but I guess there are people who truly believe that might be the case...

Fabs

Aug 22, 2019
Sony cloud save system fucking blows. It's even worse they charge for it. Having multiple PS4s was a nightmare compared to Xbox

Aug 12, 2019
If it's a unique PS4 to unique PS5 release situation, then that does make sense that it's up to the developer since Sony doesn't have a standardized system like Xbox does since Xbox is handling these cross-gen releases in just what seems to be a fundamentally different way (one SKU versus two for Sony). This doesn't tell us anything about backwards compatability yet and for now seems to be an issue exclusive to the first year or so where cross-gen would be most relevant.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
But is that not how games on PSN are allowed to do it too? Surely games like Miles Morales and NBA 21 didn't build save transfer tools for that in 2021?

NBA 2K is only bringing over the online feature saves. Things like MyCareer aren't transferring.

Miles Morales seems to be operating as a single sku when you buy it for $49.99, not 2 separate skus like every other game seems to be.

For NBA2K current to next gen:

Will NBA 2K21 saves on PS4 and Xbox One transfer to PS5 and Xbox Series X? | Gamepur

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
That doesn't make sense when there are PS3 games that cross save with PS4 version
I think the "cross save" functionality requires very specific implementation to be supported or some type of conversion to happen between systems and generations where as in Microsoft's case, they've implemented a common save format for saves that work across cloud, various systems and generations.

It IS possible to have saves work across Sony's platforms, but it feels like it requires development resources to do so… where as in Microsoft's case, things just work.

gogojira

Oct 27, 2017
Based on what evidence we have, the Xbox team just did a much better job at this transition than Sony did. I'm not making that as a comment on sales, console wars or winners and losers, they just have a much friendlier path forward. That will inevitably make my decision as a primary console much easier.

Terror-Billy

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Remember all the people that mocked Smart Delivery for months on this very same site? Smart Delivery doesn't look that dumb now, huh.

Kaiken

Oct 25, 2017
What a mess. Microsofts communication with their new gen has been incredibly impressive. I dipped out early on the 360 and skipped the One entirely but happy to be building a PC. Sony has a ton of explaining to do. At least acknowledge that there's some sort of clarity and transparency coming soon ffs.

DarkVaber32

Nov 15, 2018
Why are people blaming Sony for this? Its not like Sony went to the devs and said "no we don't want that". Maybe the devs couldn't figure it out yet or have to implement this feature for Sonys consoles? We already know that transfering the progress works on other games, its most probably up to the devs.

Deleted member 8166

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Maneater too

Maneater Evolves with Next-Gen Enhancements! FAQ

Ray-tracing, 4k @ 60FPS, and more on Xbox Series X, Series S, and PS5! Fully evolved for the next generation of console systems, Maneater will support Ray-Tracing, native 4K HDR at 60 FPS, and new lighting effects that will bring the underwater world of Maneater to life like only the next...
this is ridiculous

Why are people blaming Sony for this? Its not like Sony went to the devs and said "no we don't want that". Maybe the devs couldn't figure it out yet or have to implement this feature for Sonys consoles? We already know that transfering the progress works on other games, its most probably up to the devs.
it's working on the microsoft console. Sony should have delivered a tool for devs to make this process easy., because they own the platform. it seems they did not.

OGlol

Jun 4, 2018
I don't understand how Marvel's Avengers and Spidey Miles Morales got cross-save, but not those games.

Made for PS5 and downgraded to PS4 seems to be the main difference here, despite not being able to confirm it for Avengers after playing it on ps4 and xbox i'm convinced it was really meant to be a next gen game.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
It means devs have to spend their time and money in tech investment to make it possible on Sony consoles while it's built into the tech stack for Xbox consoles and requires significantly less time investment.

They're already spending time and effort offering these free upgrades. I'd almost (not really) not want the free upgrade - it creates a connection between the two versions that really needs the save to progress as well.

Nov 14, 2017
So the only confirmed game (non service game category) that has cross save on PS5 is Miles Morales.

I hope Cyberpunk 2077 has cross save because I was planning on getting that at launch to play on my PS5 but I might need to wait if my progress won't carry over when the next-gen patch comes out next year.

bbg_g

Jun 21, 2020
I guess we're going to keep getting a new thread for every single game with this.
Can we just get a general thread to keep track of this like with the upgrade thread?

Stoof

Oct 25, 2017
This is a worrying trend. Microsoft seems to be killing it on the backend though which is cool.

show me your skeleton

#1 Bugsnax Fan
Oct 28, 2017
skeleton land
You're most of the way there I think.

Smart Delivery means that there's one SKU for the game, yeah. So your save will work on any platform because, as far as the title ID is concerned, it's the same game. Your save is in the cloud and it'll just work on any Xbox that you put the disc into.

PlayStation has different title IDs for every version of a game. Different for different regions, different for GOTY editions. Different for digital and physical I think? And (almost certainly) different for different hardware platforms. That seems to be making it harder for saves to be compatible? We already see that this generation with saves that don't work between regions on some PS4 games or don't across vanilla and GOTY editions etc. Speculation on my part but it seems to be the old issue of PSN being essentially held back by being duct taped together behind the scenes since the PS3 days and they seem like they struggle to update these things.

They've definitely solved it to a degree though as some games do support saves across PS4 and PS5.
yeah assuming it's a title ID issue i'm trying to figure out the issue/s for each game

i've read that you can tie only two title IDs together, so with that you get this problem:

spiderman [ps4 original release]
spiderman [ps4 game of the year edition]

both of those games are tied together and so saves work, as does trophy progress

spiderman remastered [ps5 release]

can't be connected as the two title limit as already hit.

compare it to the following:

spiderman miles morales [ps4 release]
spiderman miles morales [ps5 release]

this can be connected as there's only the two titles.

forgive me if i've got the details for the above wrong, just trying to think of a possible situation that seperates spiderman ps5 and miles morales ps5 behaviour. i'm wondering if dirt has a bunch of versions in the sony database that makes cross-gen progress sharing impossible.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
ReadyCarefreeHornbill-size_restricted.gif

PS4 to PS5 save states is a hot mess, now there is no denying anymore. Yakuza, Maneater, Dirt 5 so far and these games won´t be the last.

btw, i´ve tweeted Ubisoft, asking about how they handle this. no answer, so you can guess that it will be the same there.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
NBA 2K is only bringing over the online feature saves. Things like MyCareer aren't transferring.

Miles Morales seems to be operating as a single sku when you buy it for $49.99, not 2 separate skus like every other game seems to be.

For NBA2K current to next gen:

Will NBA 2K21 saves on PS4 and Xbox One transfer to PS5 and Xbox Series X? | Gamepur
So the option inside PSN exists, but it seems to be hard for devs to use... because in this thread alone there are two games getting Smart Delivery save transfer but nothing for PS5...

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
Wonder why progress from some games can be carried from PS4 to PS5…while other games cant?

Good question, maybe Sony will give the time to give a deeper dive into a question period.
Sony believes in generations afterall.

(:

Wish these devs would actually say why. It's weird that some games do, others don't. Is it a matter of converting from one format to another? Is it something else?
Why the onus on them and not Sony? It is their platform after all and one of the reasons why many prefer console gaming is it's walled garden.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I really hope - for all these games with this issue - that Sony reaches out and/or the devs patch this in to work. Assuming that the submission process doesn't lock them in once they've gone gold with all the 'titleID' stuff

Brohan

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Netherlands
Seems like Xbox is definitely the place to be if you care about replaying older games.

I do like the overreacting in this thread though. It sucks but Sony isn't doomed or is somehow in the posistion that Xbox was in during the Matrick days just because some titles don't support cross saves. Take a chill pill.