• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
Why the fuck not?? Has there been any explanations for any of the games so far?

The closest thing we know is that PS4 and PS5 games are treated as different SKUs and Sony has a very restricitve policy when it comes to cross-saves between different SKUs. I dont remember the details sadly, was discussed in another thread.
The last theory I heard is that PS4 games that run as PS4 games via BC should be able to use old saves but if games get patched to become a true PS5 Version it gets extremely muddy.
Just a theory though so take with a big grain of salt.

Askherserenity

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Everyone called Smart Delivery a buzzword for Cross-buy, but it definitely seems like Microsoft has set up better pathways between gens for developers to tap into.

Could be related to Xbox's cloud save system though (and unrelated to Smart Delivery).

Nope. People just refused to listen whenever they would try to explain how smart delivery is different than whatever the fuck Sony is doing.

tarman76

Oct 27, 2017
MS was always ahead of Sony when it came to cloud saves, so while this is unfortunate, it's not too surprising.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
We really need Sony or one of these developers to go IN DEPTH, on the technical reason the data can't carry over.

Why aren't they explaining the "why" of the situation?

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
Xbox seems like you're buying into a family of consoles.

PlayStation just seems like you're buying separate consoles.

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
Everyone called Smart Delivery a buzzword for Cross-buy, but it definitely seems like Microsoft has set up better pathways between gens for developers to tap into.

Could be related to Xbox's cloud save system though (and unrelated to Smart Delivery).

It's a difference in how the storefronts are architectured. MS already solved this in the past with their play anywhere initiative. Sony didn't have a motive for solving it.

OP
OP
Lant_War

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
I guess Sony really does believe in generations

Can people admit that Smart Delivery isn't just a marketing buzzword now?
Huh? It definitely is. The tools that Microsoft put in place to make cross-buy + cross-save easy for devs isn't, but Smart Delivery is quite literally a marketing buzzword, lol.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
I thought Smart Delivery was just basically purchase tracking that loads up the appropriate SKU for you depending on your console... what does it do special for save games? Is it made to show last gen saves to the new SKU or something in case the dev enabled carrying saves?

Just seems confusing if it is special for Smart Delivery since some PS5 games can carry saves from PS4... so doesn't that mean Sony and PSN do have ways for it in place too?

Guess I'm missing how this is special with Smart Delivery...

It's a single game ID in the backend. The system you access the game from pulls down the package intended for that specific system and the saves/achievements are tied to that game ID are loaded up.

Judge

Vault-Tec Seal of Approval
Oct 25, 2017
Maneater too

Maneater Evolves with Next-Gen Enhancements! FAQ

Ray-tracing, 4k @ 60FPS, and more on Xbox Series X, Series S, and PS5! Fully evolved for the next generation of console systems, Maneater will support Ray-Tracing, native 4K HDR at 60 FPS, and new lighting effects that will bring the underwater world of Maneater to life like only the next...

FAQ
  • This is not a different application/game on XBox Series S & X and saves and trophies/achievements will carry forward.
    • This may require subscriptions to additional services such as XBox Gold (such as for cloud save transfers)
  • This IS a separate application/game on PlayStation 5 and trophies, stats and saves will not transfer

LebGuns

Oct 25, 2017
The closest thing we know is that PS4 and PS5 games are treated as different SKUs and Sony has a very restricitve policy when it comes to cross-saves between different SKUs. I dont remember the details sadly, was discussed in another thread.
The last theory I heard is that PS4 games that run as PS4 games via BC should be able to use old saves but if games get patched to become a true PS5 Version it gets extremely muddy.
Just a theory though so take with a big grain of salt.
Huh, interesting. I guess this would be more similar to the PS Vita cross-save situation then?

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017
Legit wonder what's the issue because it's clearly possible so it'll be interesting to see what's up

Desodeset

May 31, 2019
Sofia, Bulgaria
User Banned (1 Week): Platform Waring: Conspiracy Theorizing
There is something fishy here. Yakuza and Dirt don't support crosssave. Other games support it.

I won't be surprised if there are some marketing deals for those games.

t26

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think it's PS4 -> PS5 that's the problem.

I think it's that huge mistakes were made when they created the PSN architecture back in the PS3 days and they're suffering with the consequences now.
That doesn't make sense when there are PS3 games that cross save with PS4 version

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California

Yep, people sure did.

Cloud save, Smart Delivery...whatever MS is doing, it is better than Sony's solution.

xabbott

Oct 28, 2017
Florida
I kept thinking some weird issues with BC or 'Smart Delivery' would happen between PS4 to PS5 but kept hoping I would be wrong. At this point people making assumptions that just because Xbox does something Sony will can just not be trusted. I don't even think all the negatives about PS4 BC are even revealed.

This just isn't Sony's area of expertise. This is what makes me leary of trusting any online systems Nintendo has. Also incase anyone tries to twist this. This will have no big impact on PS5 it's just really annoying for me.

ShapeDePapa

Oct 25, 2017
Maneater too

Maneater Evolves with Next-Gen Enhancements! FAQ

Ray-tracing, 4k @ 60FPS, and more on Xbox Series X, Series S, and PS5! Fully evolved for the next generation of console systems, Maneater will support Ray-Tracing, native 4K HDR at 60 FPS, and new lighting effects that will bring the underwater world of Maneater to life like only the next...

What's the difference between this and Miles Morales for exemple then? What are you doing Sony?

Raigor

May 14, 2020
There is something fishy here. Yakuza and Dirt don't support crosssave. Other games support it.

Maneater does not have any marketing deal and it does not support PS4-> PS5 saves

Also, LMAO at thinking there are marketing deals preventing CROSS-SAVE from not happening.

Some of you are crazy

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I thought Smart Delivery was just basically purchase tracking that loads up the appropriate SKU for you depending on your console... what does it do special for save games? Is it made to show last gen saves to the new SKU or something in case the dev enabled carrying saves?

Just seems confusing if it is special for Smart Delivery since some PS5 games can carry saves from PS4... so doesn't that mean Sony and PSN do have ways for it in place too?

Guess I'm missing how this is special with Smart Delivery...

You're most of the way there I think.

Smart Delivery means that there's one SKU for the game, yeah. So your save will work on any platform because, as far as the title ID is concerned, it's the same game. Your save is in the cloud and it'll just work on any Xbox that you put the disc into.

PlayStation has different title IDs for every version of a game. Different for different regions, different for GOTY editions. Different for digital and physical I think? And (almost certainly) different for different hardware platforms. That seems to be making it harder for saves to be compatible? We already see that this generation with saves that don't work between regions on some PS4 games or don't across vanilla and GOTY editions etc. Speculation on my part but it seems to be the old issue of PSN being essentially PS3 tech behind the scenes.

They've definitely solved it to a degree though as some games do support saves across PS4 and PS5.

xem

Oct 31, 2017
I kept thinking some weird issues with BC or 'Smart Delivery' would happen between PS4 to PS5 but kept hoping I would be wrong. At this point people making assumptions that just because Xbox does something Sony will can just not be trusted. I don't even think all the negatives about PS4 BC are even revealed.

This just isn't Sony's area of expertise. This is what makes me leary of trusting any online systems Nintendo has. Also incase anyone tries to twist this. This will have no big impact on PS5 it's just really annoying for me.
MS's core competency as a company is Compatibility. They are flexing for sure here.

Oct 30, 2017
CDPR have not said that as far as I'm aware? The source in that other thread was a poorly worded Eurogamer article, nothing CDPR has said has confirmed it?
You're getting a free upgrade for cyberpunk. If you bought the game on a disc for PS4, you're PS4 disc will be running the game with a free upgrade on PS5. That will be deployed via a patch.

Kida

Oct 27, 2017

Please don't start the conspiracy nonsense. Microsoft didn't pay for your PS4 saves to not work on PS5. Sony just hasn't created the infrastructure for this to be easy for developers. Era hasn't listened that Smart Delivery was more than just crossbuy from the beginning.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
It's a single game ID in the backend. The system you access the game from pulls down the package intended for that specific system and the saves/achievements are tied to that game ID are loaded up.
But is that not how games on PSN are allowed to do it too? Surely games like Miles Morales and NBA 21 didn't build save transfer tools for that in 2021?

CNoodles

Banned
Mar 7, 2019
Insane how the roles have been reversed compared to last gen launch. What a botched job by Sony.

tutomos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seems like Sony is not willing to make their platform more like a PC. Some gamers won't like it but will see how the mass reacts to it.

Zem

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
another-one.jpg