• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Bosch

Banned
May 15, 2019
Guys, there is something really wrong with graphics on pc. Even on ultra high graphics looks really blurry(doesn't matter 1440p or 4k)

And what is wrong with clouds? They look like a bitmap from a n64 game, wtf?

riverfr0zen

Oct 27, 2017
Manhattan, New York
Besides technical issues, how is everyone liking the game so far?

How does the handling feel compared to other Codemasters games, like Grid 2019 and Onrush?

I'm still early into the game on PS4 Pro (just finished the Ignition event, which is the first "level" in career mode).

Really loving it so far, and you know what? People have been touting the essence of the Motorstorm games in this, and others have been comparing it to the previous Dirt titles (naturally); but what I really feel when I play this is that it's basically Driveclub, but offroad.

If you take it from that light (which I can't help, since I played a lot of Driveclub), you won't be lost by the progression system. The same ideas around progression in that game are what are present here (tweaked and improved as a matter of evolution, of course). It keeps you progressing to new tracks/events without sweating about perfecting them too much the first time around, and that works for me. It also sets up returning to previous events later (with new cars, etc) and playing them over.

You will find that the handling is very reminiscent of the "simcade" style of Driveclub also. As someone who enjoys both sims and arcade driving games, I quite enjoyed the DC handling and physics models, and I'm finding that same balance here -- where the model is complex enough to provide depth and be satisfying, but also allows for a bunch of arcadey maneuvers. I also really like the sense of weight I feel with different vehicles through the engine mechanics and sound -- it's quite gratifying.

I've also heard some people saying this is OnRush if OnRush had racing, but I don't really agree. It's not a combat game in any meaningful way (at least so far, for me).

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Newnan, GA
I'm really liking this on the One X and can't wait to continue on the Series
X next week. I just finished the 2nd major event. There are some events that I just suck at, though. I can't drift or drive on ice for the life of me. I'm sure I'll get the hang of it over time.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
has there been confirmation that XSX will do 120Hz/VRR on PC monitors? Not sure how all that compatibilty stuff works over HDMI on a 'not TV'.

The 1X already supported it, so it's almost guaranteed to work for Series X/S. Even the cheaper Freesync monitors are recognized for VRR on launch Xbox Ones.

FuturaBold

Oct 27, 2017
Performance Mode on PS4 Pro is pretty rough. I see a lot of screen tearing. I thought it was patched. I hope this performs better on PS5 which I'll try on Thursday.
PS5 doesn't support VRR yet I hope I don't regret buying this for the PS5 and not the Series X.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Performance Mode on PS4 Pro is pretty rough. I see a lot of screen tearing. I thought it was patched. I hope this performs better on PS5 which I'll try on Thursday.
PS5 doesn't support VRR yet I hope I don't regret buying this for the PS5 and not the Series X.

Performance mode is horrible on PS4 Pro, basically useless.

Maturin

Oct 27, 2017
Europe
Damn had so much fun with this game tonight. It's such a joyful blue sky game. One of the best HDR implementations I've seen. Discovered the Gate Crasher event this evening and they are great.

Here's a video of one. (not by me)

gachapin

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Finished Ignition but I can't win three medals at Hot sprint USA. Isn't this just too hard for the first event :(

Damn had so much fun with this game tonight. It's such a joyful blue sky game. One of the best HDR implementations I've seen. Discovered the Gate Crasher event this evening and they are great.

Here's a video of one. (not by me)

It's only a few days since the game launched but there are always someone who can make something great.

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Personally it has a very light yet snappy driving feel, you can really kick the cars around but not completely safely, you still need control, its less 'onrails' compared ONRUSH but far more learnable and predictable than GRID 2019 ever was and i'd argue it hits a pretty great balance of control.

I dont remember Onrush anymore but this is easily the best arcadey driving model Codemasters made since Dirt 2.
Grid 2019 was pretty bad imo, cars were twitchy and felt weightless, in Dirt 5 they feel nice and weighty and also easy to control/correct oversteer. It's a predictable driving model, in a good way.
I'm still early into the game on PS4 Pro (just finished the Ignition event, which is the first "level" in career mode).

Really loving it so far, and you know what? People have been touting the essence of the Motorstorm games in this, and others have been comparing it to the previous Dirt titles (naturally); but what I really feel when I play this is that it's basically Driveclub, but offroad.

If you take it from that light (which I can't help, since I played a lot of Driveclub), you won't be lost by the progression system. The same ideas around progression in that game are what are present here (tweaked and improved as a matter of evolution, of course). It keeps you progressing to new tracks/events without sweating about perfecting them too much the first time around, and that works for me. It also sets up returning to previous events later (with new cars, etc) and playing them over.

You will find that the handling is very reminiscent of the "simcade" style of Driveclub also. As someone who enjoys both sims and arcade driving games, I quite enjoyed the DC handling and physics models, and I'm finding that same balance here -- where the model is complex enough to provide depth and be satisfying, but also allows for a bunch of arcadey maneuvers. I also really like the sense of weight I feel with different vehicles through the engine mechanics and sound -- it's quite gratifying.

I've also heard some people saying this is OnRush if OnRush had racing, but I don't really agree. It's not a combat game in any meaningful way (at least so far, for me).
Okay cool. I ask because I am getting 4 racing games to split between two people and want to have them get different experiences. I didn't know if the handling for Dirt would be similar to Grid or Onrush, for instance.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Wtf is going on with the PC version of the game?

It has no ability to pick ANY screen type (windowed, borderless, full).

If you set the graphics on medium you get a locked 60, high a locked 30 and very high a locked 24 on a 1070ti.

No HDR.

And it looks generally terrible at any graphic setting.

I think it's completely broken right now

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I've been playing this on PS4 for the past few days, it's pretty good fun. Really like the vehicle handling, music and most of the overall presentation.

I think it's a move back into the right direction for the Dirt series, but it could have used a little more time in the oven.

The multiplayer is really barebones. It's just two playlists, race or party games. I've not played in any full lobbies because I've been playing pre-release, but I've been playing with a few journalists and developers and had a few decent races. There's lots of smaller details missing too, which in places makes it feel like it's not as good as something like Dirt 2.

For instance, Dirt 2 would compare your with the online times at the end of every event. I thought that was a cool feature, I think it was present in Dirt 3 too, but it's oddly missing here. The 'immersive sound' mode is nice (where audio comes from speakers on the track), but it'd be nice to have an option to play the audio from inside your car too, as it sounds quite flat / unbalanced for much of the race. There doesn't appear to be a means to see what artist/track is playing either, which is quite poor. I'm sure appropriate credit is provided inside of the credits, but I think players should be able to see what their listening to, and skip to the next track if they don't like it, but not here.

Online feels quite shallow because of this lack of detail too. Because you don't get anything out of it. There's no progression system for online outside the default career progression, no badges to earn or show off, it all feels like a bit of a waste of time. Feeding into that I think is one of the bigger issues with the game, in that the track design never really takes any real risks. Tracks don't narrow or pose any particularly challenging turns, so the online races in my experience tend to be quite predictable.

Still, despite those issues I do like it a lot. I think that moment to moment it's a really enjoyable arcade racer, the vehicles are a pleasure to drive and the soundtrack gets you pumped. Track design isn't amazing but the event variety is good and will keep you going through the campaign. It's a solid 8/10 from me I'd say, and sits alongside Wreckfest as the best sim-cade racers of this gen. At the same time, there was a lot of room for this game to be a lot better and it's a shame it feels rushed out the door in certain areas.

gachapin

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
I thought the Xbox version got a patch? I'm still on 1.0.2 with no available updates.
1.0.2 is right for Xbox I think. That's what mines on too.
The latest patch note for Xbox, its 1.03. The update process is probably on going.
NOVEMBER 4, 2020 - PATCH 1.03 - XBOX

- Further improvements to online matchmaking and connectivity
- Further performance improvements to splitscreen functionality
- Fixed an issue with Gymkhana events not launching after tutorial
- Fixed an issue causing crashes when switching between video quality settings
- Fix for screen tear instances
- Resolved issue causing a loss of audio when using some audio outputs
- General minor graphical, gameplay and quality of life improvements across the board, including GPU and CPU performance improvements

As well as the above, we are also tracking a fix for loss of controller vibration for some users. Whilst not confirmed, we are working on a fix as priority, which we hope to include in this patch.

Nathaniel_Wu

Apr 6, 2018
no one has tried it with a wheel it seems? I'm wondering how it feels, because in DiRT 4 the wheel doesn't feel particularly like a sim, compared to DiRT Rally

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
sprint is legit tilting me, im enjoying everything else in the game but holy shit who thought this was fun and well balanced

got 1st after like 15 tries

just for fun i checked the leaderboards and i got the 20th best time on this race, which is pretty funny, because i barely managed to win against medium AI lol

Last edited:

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017
Is there not an OT or a PC performance thread for this? This game is fucking broke as hell. This shit is 10x worse than Horizon when it was released.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
sprint is legit tilting me, im enjoying everything else in the game but holy shit who thought this was fun and well balanced

just for fun i checked the leaderboards and i got the 20th best time on this race, which is pretty funny, because i barely managed to win against medium AI lol

I'm finding the game kinda hard in general. Only get first once aver 3 or 4 races. I'm actually finding it hard to see especially in cockpit view. Visibility is often low with all the lights/weather effects and the image quality in general seems muddy even on resolution mode. Going back to Horizon 4 after was night and day in that regard.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
I'm finding the game kinda hard in general. Only get first once aver 3 or 4 races. I'm actually finding it hard to see especially in cockpit view. Visibility is often low with all the lights/weather effects and the image quality in general seems muddy even on resolution mode. Going back to Horizon 4 after was night and day in that regard.

Yea its definitely more challenging than what I'm used to from modern racers. Which tbh I don't mind. Project cars 3 and Grid 2019 were stupid easy for example.
The regular cockpit view is good looking but its hard to actually drive from. The zoomed in one, without the wheel, is far better, but i want the wheel movement. I wish you could just adjust the camera settings though, that would largely solve the issue. And also I wish you could speed up the windshield wiper like in Dirt 4, sometimes during heavy rain its actually way too slow and can barely see where I'm going.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Yea its definitely more challenging than what I'm used to from modern racers. Which tbh I don't mind. Project cars 3 and Grid 2019 were stupid easy for example.
The regular cockpit view is good looking but its hard to actually drive from. The zoomed in one, without the wheel, is far better, but i want the wheel movement. I wish you could just adjust the camera settings though, that would largely solve the issue. And also I wish you could speed up the windshield wiper like in Dirt 4, sometimes during heavy rain its actually way too slow and can barely see where I'm going.

I also use the cockpit view where you can see the steering wheel usually. However in this game it's way too narrow with the trucks which is like half the races. In Horizon 4 that's really only an issue with Lambos.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017

how is the structure of the game? I don't like them fully open (Found FH4 got really boring after a while) but also don't want it too gated - eg in your example I also hate sprint cars and wouldn't want to be prevented from progressing if I have to hit a certain 'star' target or whatever on that event. I'd happily skip some types of events completely in these games that cover lots of disciplines.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
how is the structure of the game? I don't like them fully open (Found FH4 got really boring after a while) but also don't want it too gated - eg in your example I also hate sprint cars and wouldn't want to be prevented from progressing if I have to hit a certain 'star' target or whatever on that event. I'd happily skip some types of events completely in these games that cover lots of disciplines.

Game is pretty lenient with its progression, each stage of the career allows you to pick from multiple races, and you only need to complete one to progress to te next stage. There is points where I guess you inevitably have to play something you may not like but for example I have played a grand total of one sprint event and im nearing the very end of the career now, i just went back now to clear and 3 star everything . Aside from sprint I like everything else.

riverfr0zen

Oct 27, 2017
Manhattan, New York

You progress through career stages ("Ignition", "Acceleration", "Velocity"...) and each of these constitutes a sub-progression of races/events. Generally these stage sub-progressions start with two tracks unlocked, and completing one of the events unlocks the next in the tree, so on and so forth. It starts out lenient, where you can just unlock further tracks by completing an event (no need for a podium position, for e.g.), but as you progress you'll come across tiers where you have to meet some criteria to advance. All of these events cycle through the various locations in the world, so you get to experience all those kinds of variations sooner rather than later.

Each career stage ends with a number of "Main Events", and I think you just have to beat one of the main events to progress to the next career stage.

There are also "special challenges" (like race duels) that you unlock over time as you meet criteria. These are separate and don't particularly correspond to any of the career stage progress, I think.

I'm pretty down with the way it's structured. You feel free to move ahead or retread and achieve positions/objectives, and there's just enough that is controlled to avoid it becoming direction-less boredom.

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
Guys, there is something really wrong with graphics on pc. Even on ultra high graphics looks really blurry(doesn't matter 1440p or 4k)

And what is wrong with clouds? They look like a bitmap from a n64 game, wtf?
I guess you have to disable the dynamic resolution option, I've read they patched it since before was always active.

Maturin

Oct 27, 2017
Europe
Having so much fun with this game. Really great colourful antidote to these dark times.

Handling is so much fun. Courses are brilliant. Love the graphical design. And some of the best HDR I've seen.

Oct 29, 2017
The Xbox patch seems to have fixed the glaring issues. All sounds now come through with Dolby Atmos turned on. Much more impressed now. Sooooo fun. Waiting until the Series X arrives before making too much progress! Still can't tell if I'm getting an XP boost or not (Amplified Edition).

Jakartalado

Oct 27, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil

I've said once in this thread... This game is pure fun.... but then this happened....

I thought I was going to crash at the beginning of the corner but was so excited that I pulled the handbrake and manage to hold the car.

Those type of things only happen in Evolution Studios Games. So fucking awesome.

Neon Octopus

Nov 21, 2017
Does this make use of the dualsenses haptics or triggers? I was playing dirt rally 2 last night and thinking about how great that would be.

OrionStarri

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This game is a ton of fun and playgrounds mode is excellent, been making some crazy tracks there for sure.. infact my 2nd track caught the attention of developers during a WIP stage, much to my chagrin, but its released now on PS4 an it seems they'll make it crossplatform as a featured track in the future. but as for the game in general i am loving the driving physics, the variety of vehicles and the tracks, oh man the tracks, Tijuca Forest is quickly becoming one of my all time favourite tracks in videogames, though nothing will beat Sebenco Climb for me :P

Deleted member 12317

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This game is a ton of fun and playgrounds mode is excellent, been making some crazy tracks there for sure.. infact my 2nd track caught the attention of developers during a WIP stage, much to my chagrin, but its released now on PS4 an it seems they'll make it crossplatform as a featured track in the future. but as for the game in general i am loving the driving physics, the variety of vehicles and the tracks, oh man the tracks, Tijuca Forest is quickly becoming one of my all time favourite tracks in videogames, though nothing will beat Sebenco Climb for me :P

Wow nice track, this definitely looks like a TrackMania track :D

riverfr0zen

Oct 27, 2017
Manhattan, New York

Nice track -- definitely getting Trackmania vibes watching that.

Yeah, some of the tracks in this game are pure joy to drive through; I haven't identified favorites yet since I haven't been doing much time trial, but once I do I know I'll have a few.

EDIT: Does anyone know if you can reconnect to the servers without restarting the game? Seems like a pretty major UX oversight.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017

Reference points like this are unfortunately a good indicator of sloppy rubber-banding AI.