• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
Digital foundry were very complimentary about it in their review?

It's a cross gen title so it's not going to be packing tons of day tracing but they were generally very impressed with quality and framerate stability.
I was joking...when they first showed the footage on the Series X you had some "fan boys" making comments that it looked like a 360 game or an early current gen title. Then there a person that apparently works for a dev making a comment that it looked like a mobile game.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Is there a Day One patch and has it been applied? Y'all are kinda scaring me away from buying it for X1X.

M. Wallace

Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
Yeo, people on Reddit also confirming bad tearing on 1X version on performance mode. It's also no where near 60fps. Damn fun though.

Oct 29, 2017
Ummmm on Xbox One X I have no voices, no music... what is happening?

EDIT: Oh I have Dolby Atmos for Headphones turned on. Turning that off fixed it. Must be a bug, but they better fix it or this will be annoying to have to switch every time.

Oct 29, 2017
Game is mad fun, but I'm stopping after playing a few races and waiting for a patch on Xbox One X. No way it should have been launched in this state. So much for paying extra money to get it a few days early. The screen tearing is ridiculous. When is the patch?

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
For such a high end PC, the performance doesn't seem great, even if its likely due to max ultra settings.

Aug 30, 2020
Picked it up. Seems overall solid.

Yeah RT reflections definitely not in the game yet.
You can gain a ton of performance just buy turning down the global illumination from ultra to very high - more than 25%. And I couldn't tell a visual difference. I imagine it might be the granularity of the voxels or it could be update rate. But that'll be really hard to notice during a race.

Ooh just played the early snowy level that starts at dusk and the snow rolls in and it turns later in the night, that was a bit breathtaking. Drive club rival for sure.

Last edited:

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
To those who have the game, how many unique tracks (aka not mirrored) does the game have? I know it has 10 regions.

gachapin

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Pearl Jam's track was kicked in when I first launched the game and browsing the user agreement screen. I already fell love this game before I play lol

PS4, I prefer the image quality mode. It's more stable and less tearing on PS4.
Here is a PS4 share video of the second career event on my first try for the comparison with the master race above.

Deleted member 7948

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just played it for 3 hours on PC. Really liking the game and no problems with performance so far (GTX 1650 Super at 1080p).

My only complaint is that HDR is broken right now, it looks way worse than SDR.

Nerun

Oct 30, 2017
It takes up a lot of performance, had to lower my settings to high instead of ultra on PC (RTX 2060, i7, 16 GB RAM, nvme SSD) and it was mostly running in the 50s, aside from the start of the race (1080p). It can look really good, but it can also look kinda bad, mainly depends on the location and weather, the game does massively profit from rain/snow, etc. some events just look boring and not that good. Loading times are great and no tearing, but that is only on PC and I played on a G-Sync display (144hz), so no idea how the console versions look like. But next gen should do fine, especially with the loading, based on the PC version.

Naru

May 11, 2019
Was ready to pull the trigger on Steam but not sure how well it will run. The Play Early Deluxe Edition thingy does fall under the same refund policy though right? I might as well check it out then and see how it runs.

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I was joking...when they first showed the footage on the Series X you had some "fan boys" making comments that it looked like a 360 game or an early current gen title. Then there a person that apparently works for a dev making a comment that it looked like a mobile game.
Ah got it, sorry!

Edit - in other news this review from pc gamer really does seem like a take... I can see it being read by Amiel d'ardcore!

Both take the bizarre decision to distance their IPs from sim racing at a time when it has never been more popular, and possibly never will again, yes. But whereas Slightly Mad's game seems to be jutting out its chin and actively daring you to find something of the franchise's prior identity which you liked among its new mess of utterly characterless racing, Dirt 5 is guilty of the opposite. Instead of jettisoning its identity it's playing too safe, holding onto it too closely in search of the apocryphal casual racing gamer who's scared of brake pedals.

Last edited:

nikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
Didn't realize this game had early access. Tempted to pick it up later today as it doesn't cost much more and also comes with some future DLC.

Fortinbras

Oct 27, 2017
I can't get the HDR on Xbox One X look right at all, even after calibrating with the Xbox One HDR app. I haven't had any issues with any other game, previous Codemasters games included.

The game looks just off.

Aside from that: The game has horrible tearing and pop in. Also I can't hear the commentary at all, the subtitles are there however. The console language is set to English.

Overall I'm a bit shocked tbh. Thinking about getting a refund.

TechBoss

Technical Director @ Codemasters Cheshire
Verified
May 7, 2020
I can't get the HDR on Xbox One X look right at all, even after calibrating with the Xbox One HDR app. I haven't had any issues with any other game, previous Codemasters games included.

The game looks just off.

Aside from that: The game has horrible tearing and pop in. Also I can't hear the commentary at all, the subtitles are there however. The console language is set to English.

Overall I'm a bit shocked tbh. Thinking about getting a refund.

Hello!

Thanks for this feedback - I just want to check a couple of things and let you know where we're currently at in coming patches.

Firstly, tearing for Xbox One is fixed in a coming patch (1.03). 1.02 was released yesterday and 1.03 is expected in a few days.

Regarding the audio issue, sorry, we've only just seen this issue yesterday in the wild. Please can you change your audio settings on your Xbox to 'Bitstream Out'. We're looking at this issue and are seeing reliably that this corrects the issue at the moment but obviously an actual fix will come in a patch.

Regarding HDR: I had a similar issue at home last night. It's possible to set the Xbox One S/X into 120hz output mode. I have a Samsung Q7FNA TV at home that supports 120hz and HDR but not both at the same time (It's an HDMI 2.0 not 2.1 TV). In this circumstance, DIRT 5 has to make a decision to display in 120hz OR HDR. If your console is set to output in 120hz, then currently, Xbox One builds can end up with the game internally trying to enable HDR but actually not being able to output it. If this is your situation, please ensure that your console isn't set to 120hz.

Anyway, everyone, I want you all to know, I've been monitoring this thread like a hawk - thank you for the feedback.

Stacey

Banned
Feb 8, 2020
Did anyone purchase the Amplified Edition today? And did you still get the pre order bonus?

Thanks.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
will 120Hz mode on XSX/PS5 automaticalyl also be VRR in case of frame drops, or will it drop to 60?

I guess thats a question about Dirt 5 but also other games - don't know how its handled at a system level

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Hello!

Thanks for this feedback - I just want to check a couple of things and let you know where we're currently at in coming patches.

Firstly, tearing for Xbox One is fixed in a coming patch (1.03). 1.02 was released yesterday and 1.03 is expected in a few days.

Regarding the audio issue, sorry, we've only just seen this issue yesterday in the wild. Please can you change your audio settings on your Xbox to 'Bitstream Out'. We're looking at this issue and are seeing reliably that this corrects the issue at the moment but obviously an actual fix will come in a patch.

Regarding HDR: I had a similar issue at home last night. It's possible to set the Xbox One S/X into 120hz output mode. I have a Samsung Q7FNA TV at home that supports 120hz and HDR but not both at the same time (It's an HDMI 2.0 not 2.1 TV). In this circumstance, DIRT 5 has to make a decision to display in 120hz OR HDR. If your console is set to output in 120hz, then currently, Xbox One builds can end up with the game internally trying to enable HDR but actually not being able to output it. If this is your situation, please ensure that your console isn't set to 120hz.

Anyway, everyone, I want you all to know, I've been monitoring this thread like a hawk - thank you for the feedback.
Thanks for checking in! I'm waiting to see how the PS5/XSX versions turn out before I decide what platform to buy on, but once I have all the info I need, I'm definitely diving in.

NeptunePirate

Nov 1, 2017
Did anyone purchase the Amplified Edition today? And did you still get the pre order bonus?

Thanks.
I did. I played quite a bit last night. Now that you mention it, Im not sure I have the preorder bonuses working correctly. I didn't see the Ford Raptor anywhere in my garage and I don't think I'm getting an XP bonus. I checked and I do have the bonuses downloaded, just seems like they're not active.

Oct 27, 2017
I continue to be extremely torn on this game. I've got some substantial reservations about it at an "eye test" level, including (but not limited to) the visuals.

That said, I love both Drive Club and Motorstorm, and the frequent comparisons to both should be a winner.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
i'm definitely planning to pick this up down the road, it looks like great fun, but with fh4 and wrc9 still having plenty to offer and with really nice next gen upgrades, i've decided to hold off. 3 racers is definitely too much to play at the same time.

unrelated, but wasn't ray tracing discussed back near the reveal of this? is that still in the cards, possibly post launch? i assume it was quietly axed (if i'm even remembering correct in the first place!) TechBoss

Deleted member 12317

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just tried quickly during lunch break on PC :
- HDR is broken, it's way too bright no matter what setting I use, every other game look the way they should, UI looks right but the game is too bright
- there is no VSync nor frame limit setting, thus on my 60 Hz 4K TV I get over 60 FPS, thus bad stuttering (I'll have to limit in the drivers or force VSync if it works...)
- in French the "upshift" and "downshift" key mapping names are inverted
- invert Y axis (for photo mode ?) invert "look back" on the right stick
- the 3 resolution settings are really confusing, in fact, only the final render size seems to matter, the others do not change anything visually nor performance-wise, I'll try more though.

These issues aside, it seems to look good (it's too bright to tell), runs well enough (did not bother with the settings yet, Ultra in 4K), and plays well, I really liked the handling in the first race.

TechBoss

Kaji AF16

Nov 6, 2017
Argentina
Our review for Colectiva Xbox (argentinean media), in Spanish. Sorry for the audio quality, I am waiting for a new mic:

Pros:
-Essentially fun. Even with all its weaknesses, I continue playing after some twenty hours of reviewing it.
-Good vehicle roster, including some innovations. The absence of early-2000´s legends (Ford Focus, Citroën C4) probably indicates future DLC content.
-Changes of elevations in circuits.
-Regional price in the Xbox store is great

Cons:
-Technical issues aplenty: screen tearing, framerate dips in high resolution / high quality mode (even on an Xbox One X), sound / music hiccups.
-Archaic, extremely linear career structure.
-Even considering that it has no strict pretentions of realism, most the driving feels off. Vehicles have little weight. In-cockpit cameras are uncomfortable.

Relatively solid title, which undoubtedly has its target, but which seems to ignore that we live in a post-Forza Horizon world.
Nice to see feedback from the Technical Director, here.

Oct 27, 2017
i'm definitely planning to pick this up down the road, it looks like great fun, but with fh4 and wrc9 still having plenty to offer and with really nice next gen upgrades, i've decided to hold off. 3 racers is definitely too much to play at the same time.

unrelated, but wasn't ray tracing discussed back near the reveal of this? is that still in the cards, possibly post launch? i assume it was quietly axed (if i'm even remembering correct in the first place!) TechBoss

WRC9 wasn't on my radar at all but my deliberation over Dirt 5 has pushed me towards looking into that. I know they're very different things but I guess I'm just in the mood for a racer - arcade or sim - for the PS5 launch.

I'm a big Dirt Rally fan, with both games this gen combining as some of my favourite gaming in years, and WRC9 looks extremely solid.

Fortinbras

Oct 27, 2017
Hello!

Thank you for the response. I also have a Samsung TV with HDMI 2.0 - the Q70R - but my console is set to 4k/60 fps. I wanted to check out the 120 mode when my Series X arrives next week.

I also have Freesync enabled on the TV. Could that be the cause of the problem?

Still...that would be strange because Onrush looks great and if I remember correctly...it's the same engine.

Mórríoghain

Nov 2, 2017
Rtx 3080, Ryzen 3700x, 16gb ram. At 1440p, ultra settings I am getting around 70 fps. It isn't graphically impressive, especially the texture work on the ground surfaces look 3-4 years old but rainy weather, muddy surfaces, and lighting look great.

For people having trouble with the performance, lowering the global illumination to very high from ultra nets around 20 fps.

Last edited:

Arctic Chris

Dec 5, 2017
Ottawa Canada
Got to like it when you see the developer responding to posts trying to help out the gaming community. I was already buying this game for my XSX but this is doubly reassuring. Well done.

m_anger

Dec 13, 2018
Hello!

wrote a PM regarding the audio issue (had the same bug)

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
"oh yeah, a new game to try alongside my brand new 3070!"

"graphics? Max quality of course!"

....first race, 40 fps at the starting line.

Lmao.

Oh well, after lowering the graphics a bit, its mostly 60. Game feels fun an hour in so far! Great handling model.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Never got into rally games but I'm itching to play a racing game that isn't a kart racer. I played some FH7 but I'm looking to jump back into another hectic racer.