• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Liamario

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My immediate reaction to it was that they dumbed it down to much. At least on the face of it. I like the DIRT series, but this looks a little too arcadey.

jesterkap2

Oct 28, 2017
Damn that sucks. It was my first Series X game. It's not amazing, but I am enjoying it and was hoping for continued support.. I guess that's where Take Two came in.

Deleted member 10726

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
ResetERA
You didn't see any of the next-gen console gameplay showcases? The game had huge marketing for racing/rally game. Project Cars 3, Grid, Dirt 5 all flopped. It seems like the market is becoming tough for car games even with decent budgets. Driving games were huge in the PS3/360 era. (and before)

Yeah I legit must have missed it, and yeah in regards to market it seems so so given that I generally really enjoy racing games (actually typing this as I have Forza Horizon in the background) but I just haven't really heard a lot about it pre-release. It's a damn shame too, sad to hear PC3 and the new Grid didn't fare any better.

I know racing isn't as huge of a market as it used to be, but it feels even the few mainstays we got are slowly fading as we speak and that's a bummer, cause as good as GT Sport and Forza Horizon are, the racing genre deserves more diversity than just additional entries of those two games so I hope that ain't where we're heading towards.

Samaritan

Oct 25, 2017
Tacoma, Washington
That's such a shame. I really hope this doesn't further convince publishers and developers that more arcade-y, offroad racers don't have a place anymore. I'm dying for a true MotorStorm successor (OnRush really wasn't it).

RF Switch

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
This is exactly what went on in my head with this game.

I want to play this game but I also don't feel it's worth 60 even though it also seems like it would be worth 60..I wonder if it's coming to gamepass id play the hell out of it if it was on gamepass

in the end I did not purchase.

Plax

Nov 23, 2019
I'm not sure the marketing was right this time around. I know that's a pretty vague observation, but it basically drummed up zero hype with myself and friends, who all really enjoy racing games (including Dirt 3 and Dirt Rally).

Not surely what the solution is. But ultimately if you can't even get the new game to excite fans of the franchise, there are issues. I don't think much, if any, of the gameplay looked particularly different or interesting. I also didn't see much in the way of multiplayer and career modes. Most of the footage I stumbled across just showed single player racing footage and no explanation about what was new or different in this entry.

I may pick it up on sale, but I'm not excited to play it.

Carian Knight

Oct 27, 2017
Turkey
Regional price was no brainer and I'm having fun it's a much better game than shit show GRiD reboot and identity crisis PC3. In terms of graphics, it's the most impressive Codemasters game we've seen in a while, I'm surprised it sold this low on PC.

Gameplay is great, graphics mostly beautiful (when the right moments kicks in it looks like a true next-gen game) career structure is basic, sounds are great and photo mode is phenomenal. It's a great foundation for the old Evolution guys but it did one thing terribly wrong, this is a spiritual successor to Motorstorm (and sometimes feels like poor man's Driveclub on dirt) and not the beloved Dirt 2 & Dirt 3 game should've been marketed differently or it should've been released as a brand new IP.

0dsS7VI.jpg

ML3ydUc.png

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
No one really knows this is an arcade racer. Anyone who sees the name will just assume it's a rally sim.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
How many Rally games do you need?

Dirt Rally 4 is only 3yrs old. Dirt 2.0 was last year. Then you've got Colin McCrae Rally games as well. This felt like it was out to capitalize on being the first new racing game on the new consoles, with 120fps support. That felt like the entire selling point.

I don't believe the genre's dead. I believe it needs some variety. What we're getting is the same cookie cutter racing games pressed out over and over. Same cars. Same tracks. Who cares??
I wish someone had the balls to fill Midway's shoes. Hell, give me an ATV arcade racer like Pure. I'm tired of seeing the same crap repeated.

yogurt

Oct 25, 2017
Racers are dead... It's like fighting games 15 years ago.
With the death (or blurring?) of the arcade/sim distinction they've all just gotten so same-y. I really enjoyed DIRT 3, GRID, and GRID 2, but I don't have interest in the new games because....it feels like I've played them before.

There are interesting things happening in the indy space, but a lot of big racing games just blend together at this point.

That's partly why I'm not interested in it. If it was arcade rally, I'd be interested. If it was balls out motorstorm, I'd be interested. But it's this weird middle ground that's quite boring looking to me.
Also this. Feels like every big racing game series is a realistic/arcade hybrid these days. Forza, NFS, Dirt, GRID...it's boring.

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
With the death (or blurring?) of the arcade/sim distinction they've all just gotten so same-y. I really enjoyed DIRT 3, GRID, and GRID 2, but I don't have interest in the new games because....it feels like I've played them before.

There are interesting things happening in the indy space, but a lot of big racing games just blend together at this point.

Also this. Feels like every big racing game series is a realistic/arcade hybrid these days. Forza, NFS, Dirt, GRID...it's boring.
Pretty much. There's too many racing games that try and straddle the line between arcade and sim to try and get both audiences but end up making the games bland. I enjoy sims, I enjoy arcade racers but there's precious few "simcade" racers that hold my attention.

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
How many Rally games do you need?

Dirt Rally 4 is only 3yrs old. Dirt 2.0 was last year. Then you've got Colin McCrae Rally games as well. This felt like it was out to capitalize on being the first new racing game on the new consoles, with 120fps support. That felt like the entire selling point.

I don't believe the genre's dead. I believe it needs some variety. What we're getting is the same cookie cutter racing games pressed out over and over. Same cars. Same tracks. Who cares??
I wish someone had the balls to fill Midway's shoes. Hell, give me an ATV arcade racer like Pure. I'm tired of seeing the same crap repeated.
They marketed DiRT 4 with arcade AND simulation mode that was even better than DiRT Rally 1 in terms of simulation. Simracers felt bullshitted and didn't buy it, DiRT Rally 2 then was marketed as "sorry, this is the real sim successor to DR1" and it sold well then (but nowhere near as well as the F1 games, which is the only game keeping Codies afloat really).

DiRT 5 has new tracks, no wheel support and more "event" vibe with glowing colors and no more toned down or simple music. It tries to be a DiRT 2 to some degree again. People said they wanted a DiRT 2. Looks like they're actually fine playing Forza Horizon or an older DiRT on Game Pass or from a "get 4 racing games, including DiRT 4, GRID 2019 and Project CARS 2 for $5"-deal instead of paying full price for a new racing game.

The problem is not rally, the problem is not that DiRT 5 is not great. The problem is that there are way too many racing games. Most people are fine with playing one every 3 years. Or maybe one sim'ish one like Gran Turismo and one more action'y one... a crazy rally game or an arcade racer.

If only one company made racing games and they'd make just those mentioned before and never giving discounts. Those games would almost make as much money as all racing games combined are making right now.

Buggy Loop

Oct 27, 2017
I already have everything i need with Dirt rally 2.0

Why would i want a dumbed down version, arcadey and without any rally alternative? I'm not sure who it's targetting. Sim racers are doing good on PC.

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
Brace yourselves for nothing but open world racers with no split screen multiplayer, with shoehorned story modes ;(

jesterkap2

Oct 28, 2017
Seeing all the posts about racers being dead makes me sad. I love racing games, especially arcade leaning ones. I would argue that Forza Horizon is Xbox's new big exclusive as they have all been incredible.

As for Dirt 5, I agree that perhaps it should have been called something different as it is more like a Motorstorm game. I think the reason they probably didn't do that is because OnRush failed. I hate to see Codemasters go to Take Two but it makes sense after a string of under-performing games. I liked GRID as well but both of these games are just mindless driving to me and I'm not sure that's enough for a wider audience at this point.

jesterkap2

Oct 28, 2017
Brace yourselves for nothing but open world racers with no split screen multiplayer, with shoehorned story modes ;(
I try those and they mostly aren't great either. Need for Speed hasn't been really good in a long time which they have pretty much admitted by just remastering the Criterion games. Racing games outside of Forza seem to be an afterthought at this point. Even Gran Turismo didn't get a full numbered entry on PS4.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
Dirt 5 is like motorstorm and Driveclub. I wouldn't say it's anything similar to past dirt games. It's car handling is that of a pure arcade racer, with a good sense of speed. But they game plays it very safe, and doesn't try anything new. I think that's the reason why the game isn't attracting many players. So while the game is a very good arcade racer, it's not doing anything to stand out and be different, there isn't anything unique about it.

jesterkap2

Oct 28, 2017
I believe everyone wants a couple of arcade racers back, but hardly anyone would want Dirt.

Bring back PGR, Driveclub, WipeOut and Ridge Racer.
I would love Microsoft to work out getting the PGR games backward compatible. It's a really huge hole they've made in their history. I get that Forza is their brand, but first there was PGR.

GTAce

Oct 27, 2017
Bonn, Germany
Dirt 5 is like motorstorm and Driveclub. I wouldn't say it's anything similar to past dirt games. It's car handling is that of a pure arcade racer, with a good sense of speed. But they game plays it very safe, and doesn't try anything new. I think that's the reason why the game isn't attracting many players. So while the game is a very good arcade racer, it's not doing anything to stand out and be different, there isn't anything unique about it.
There is not a single good game like it out there though.
Arcade Off-Road Racer with up to four player splitscreen, custom stunt arenas, licensed cars from different classes, what more do you want?

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
There is not a single good game like it out there though.
Arcade Off-Road Racer with up to four player splitscreen, custom stunt arenas, licensed cars from different classes, what more do you want?
Oh I like the game very much. I was actually surprised how good the game was. The game is great on PS5, and the dualsense support is rather decent. It's just that it's take on a arcade racer is very safe, which is fine, since the game is still very enjoyable.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
I believe everyone wants a couple of arcade racers back, but hardly anyone would want Dirt.

Bring back PGR, Driveclub, WipeOut and Ridge Racer.
I don't really care about having a specific franchise back, but definitely a kind of game back. There's basically no city-based racing games anymore, the closest is like, Driveclub's city tracks but even that is just not the same.

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
I've been trying to find reviews and it seems like none of the big sites have them up in video format. Did Codemasters not send out review copies or something? And it doesn't surprise me that it's having a rough launch. Evolution, or whatever they're called now, are lowkey cursed. Very talented bunch of the technical side, but their games never reach their full potential because weird design choices.

OP
OP
Stacey

Stacey

Banned
Feb 8, 2020
I've been trying to find reviews and it seems like none of the big sites have them up in video format. Did Codemasters not send out review copies or something? And it doesn't surprise me that it's having a rough launch. Evolution, or whatever they're called now, are lowkey cursed. Very talented bunch of the technical side, but their games never reach their full potential because weird design choices.

Only xbox copies were sent out.

E.Balboa

Oct 30, 2017
Florianópolis, Brazil
I'd like to try it, but not for 60.

Codies are in a weird spot right now: it seems the only thing keeping it afloat is F1, which is phenomenal. I honestly don't think Dirt 5, Dirt 2.0, PC3 and Grid were commercial hits or close to it.

Maybe joining 2K isn't a bad thing after all.

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
Played Dirt 5 again last night for an hour on my PS5.

I like it more and more each time I jump in. It plays and looks wonderful and the dualsense stuff is nothing short of a wow.

MissCauthon

Oct 25, 2017
Wish Sony would decide to make a Motorstorm Apocalypse style game. It is my favorite racing game and the only one i really liked and I normally DON'T like car games lol.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I already pretty much regret buying it. MP has been mostly barren, and the rotation doesn't seem to have enough structure to motivate other players to even finish most races. I've been enjoying a lot of the career, but it's laced with some really bad (or at least disruptive) modes, and as you start to see through the sleight-of-hand of the AI, the experience loses a lot.

Oddly enough, my one mainstay for troubled racing games has been the biggest bust of all; It's hard not to end up feeling some aggravation at what they call the Time Attack "mode."

jesterkap2

Oct 28, 2017
I bought the amplified edition so I'm hoping the team keeps at it with improving and adding to the game rather than abandoning it. Its not on PC but as a showpiece for my Series X. Eventually it'll be in Humble Monthly or Game Pass and I'll check it out on PC. I am satisfied with the game even if it didn't quite meet all my expectations. It was a fun motorstorm game.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
I bought the amplified edition so I'm hoping the team keeps at it with improving and adding to the game rather than abandoning it. Its not on PC but as a showpiece for my Series X. Eventually it'll be in Humble Monthly or Game Pass and I'll check it out on PC. I am satisfied with the game even if it didn't quite meet all my expectations. It was a fun motorstorm game.

Pretty mismanaged IP imo. Lot's of friends played Dirt 4 on PSNow to see if they'd like this.

They'll never buy it now.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For all the fears of EA putting an IP on ice, with numbers like these, Dirt just might be that one at some point

Garrison

Oct 27, 2017
This op was from November originally, I wonder how the game is doing now. Sad but I finished dirt2 last year and loved it. Haven't kept up with this series.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
This op was from November originally, I wonder how the game is doing now. Sad but I finished dirt2 last year and loved it. Haven't kept up with this series.
Peak is the same. That doesn't usually change unless a game has some ridiculous sale or update or free weekend or blows up on twitch etc.

There are currently 53 players in-game.

FantaSoda

Oct 28, 2017
It this more arcade like? I tried to play Rally 2.0 I think and as soon I started playing the game shouted numbers at me I didnt know what they mean. I guess I need to be a rally fan to understand?

I do not get the people saying that this is "too arcadey". Like when I think of arcadey I think of Burnout Paradise or Ridge Racer. This game suffers from not committing enough in one direction or the other. My wife loves arcadey racers and immediately hated this game. I stuck with it enough to learn enough to win but too much of the time the game just straight up isn't very fun.

Tortillo VI

May 27, 2018
I'm not surprised in the least. Bought it recently for PS5 on sale and thought it was entertaining but hollow, weak and a shadow of its former self (mainly Dirt 2).

Career progression is barebones, event variety is scarce, environments and lighting are nothing special, there's visible pop in and a very limited draw distance, damage model is nothing compared to previous Dirt games and basically too many things are a downgrade compared to Dirt 2 and 3 on a modern PC, which were the last games that I played in the sag (Always from my opinion of course).

Loved the soundtrack, good vibes, fun tone and tight arcade controls... but everything else was a letdown.

To make matters worse, it has performance issues with drops below 60fps on both graphical modes I had access to... on a PS5.

This and Grid 2019 felt like half the games they were last gen for me. I love the arcade focus they were going for with this one, but felt they left too many things on the table and that the game was probably rushed due to COVID and new console launches.

Poor Evolution studios. Really wanted this to be amazing.

degauss

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The online multiplayer portion is lackluster.
That's what I'm afraid of why and I haven't bought it yet, even though it was on sale for PS5.

I enjoy arcade racers, and I really like the racing games this team makes, I like the sim/arcade balance. This looks visually good, it looks fun, and I like the look of the tracks and variety. But as with Driveclub, I was worried about the multiplayer component, especially around launch.

I think these types games live or die around being able to quickly and effortless get into a game with a bunch of other people, strangers or friends or a mix of both. (for me, anyway).

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Yeah, Codies wasn't gonna survive this gen on their own. It's a good thing they've been bought.
I absolutely agree and these studios getting bought is good, because the only other option is them going bankrupt at some point.
Much like MK is the "exception that proves the rule" for fighters, Mario Kart / GT / Forza are the exceptions that prove the rule with racers. (And my impression is that each of those series are in decline versus historical installments.)
Mario Kart is stronger than ever and so is Forza Horizon. FM is declining, though. And GTS did better than GT6, which was a heavily decline from GT5.
Even here, super well rated games like Forza Horizon don't seem to have super active OTs.
I don't think OT, especially for racing games, are a good indicator. Dirt numbers are sadly bad, but FH you mentioned had 4 million monthly users even 2 years after the game released. Someone could argue it's the biggest racing franchise after MK currently.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
According to user reviews it's a step down from previous entries.

Why drop $60 on an inferior Dirt 5, when you can't get previous Dirt games, with more features, for dirt cheap?