• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Does Dirt 5 do anything that Dirt 4 doesn't? I got Dirt 4 in a Humble bundle but haven't played it yet. If anyone wants Dirt 4 on PC, it currently costs €1 in Fanatical's 25th anniversary bundle.

They're not really similar honestly. Dirt 4 was a lot more 'rally' and was more like a Dirt Rally-lite.

This is more like Motorstorm but on race tracks. Pure arcade racing.

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
They're not really similar honestly. Dirt 4 was a lot more 'rally' and was more like a Dirt Rally-lite.

This is more like Motorstorm but on race tracks. Pure arcade racing.
That's partly why I'm not interested in it. If it was arcade rally, I'd be interested. If it was balls out motorstorm, I'd be interested. But it's this weird middle ground that's quite boring looking to me.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
But I thought everyone wanted arcade racers.

I find most dirt games to be boring career wise. I like buying cars, having a huge garage and open free roam with buddies.

Last arcade racers that I was completely hooked on was driveclub and honestly I did like the rebooted grid. I only spent $12 on the ultimate edition

I'm super excited for the next test drive unlimited though.

Sha_96

Jan 22, 2019
It seems like it released with almost zero hype, weird considering Dirt is a somewhat popular series or at least that's what I always thought

Sems4arsenal

Apr 7, 2019
Racing games are in massive trouble.

I have a lot of thoughts about why, but this really is a worrying trend.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Racing games are in massive trouble.

I have a lot of thoughts about why, but this really is a worrying trend.

Feel free to share.

My take is that outside of the first party racing titles such at GT, Forza Horizon and Mario Kart everyone else is fighting an uphill battle to garner attention. Even well established franchises like Need for Speed struggle.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
Think if it was called "Driveclub Motorstorm" or a better yet still derivative name it might have got more attention.

Don't think most know what kind of game it is.

Rumenapp

Forza Photographer
Nov 9, 2017
I will eventually find out if i like the game or not in a few months when i purchase a new gen system and this game at a lower price.

Mengy

Oct 25, 2017
I've played every Dirt game minus 5 and 4. I just think that Rally Cross and similar events are a waste and not very fun.

Me too. I actively avoid Rally Cross on all of the previous DiRT games and I hate racing against other AI cars when rally racing. Just give me a challenging course and let me do runs against myself or leaderboards for time, THATs what I love and desire in a Rally game.

I hate Rally Cross and they went and made DiRT 5 completely focused on that and nothing else. I wouldn't pay $2 for DiRT 5.

Hopefully DiRT Rally 3 is more to my liking.

Deleted member 14927

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lacklustre wheel support and lack of VR support killed it for me on PC.

Once they have dialled those in I'll pick it up.

-girgosz-

Aug 16, 2018
It seems like it released with almost zero hype, weird considering Dirt is a somewhat popular series or at least that's what I always thought

It has been marketed a bunch. It was on both XSX and PS5 showcases. It was one of the first big cross-gen games and somewhat of a showcase for new console tech like 120hz. It was on DF, IGN, Gamespot and other big sites with gameplay and prewievs like two weeks ago. It had a million times bigger coverage than Dirt 4 and Dirt Rally 2.0. It also reviewed really well and it was released on many platforms. Seriously. What more hype do you want for a Dirt game?

Btw the situation isn't any better on consoles, for those who wonder. According to gamstat:
PS4: 16k
Xbox: 15k

You're reading it right. The game had around 31k total players on all consoles combined after launch. Probably sold like 50k first week at best. I feel really bad for the devs it looks like they made a good game and it was marketed "properly" for what it was. People just didn't care.

Last edited:

Sems4arsenal

Apr 7, 2019
Feel free to share.

My take is that outside of the first party racing titles such at GT, Forza Horizon and Mario Kart everyone else is fighting an uphill battle to garner attention. Even well established franchises like Need for Speed struggle.
Sadly younger audience is not longer interested in cars in real life, and that translates into videogames.

Think GT and Forza have ruined expectations. People want a thousand cars and tracks in every racer which simply is ridiculous. The younger generation maybe be a factor, definitely.

I think any racing game that doesn't have GT/Forza/NFS/MK in the title is likely DOA if priced at $60.

There has been a surprisingly low amount of genuine innovation and quality.

The PC space is more suited to experimental stuff like Wreckfest, Euro Truck Simulator, etc.

-girgosz-

Aug 16, 2018
I loved Dirt 1&2 and I didn't even know this game existed until it was released.

You didn't see any of the next-gen console gameplay showcases? The game had huge marketing for racing/rally game. Project Cars 3, Grid, Dirt 5 all flopped. It seems like the market is becoming tough for car games even with decent budgets. Driving games were huge in the PS3/360 era. (and before)

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
To be frank, even as an arcade racer fan since as long as I can remember, the gymkhana and Ken Block stuff from Dirt is so unappealing. And I love the Dirt Rally games as sims, they go straight to the point and are such a joy for rally fans. Bless them. But the main series, since they transitioned from Colin's name, it's totally lost.

Same with Grid, really. It's not an arcade, but it's not a sim either. GT Sport with driving helps is far more enjoyable. Horizon games just by looking at the spectacle, the colour palette and how you can drift overt brick walls says it all about what to expect. And they sell gangbusters so arcade is definitely not dead.

Very few selected games do the middle ground well, Driveclub was probably the last.

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
Why are so many of my favourite genres going extinct? :( Good thing we have indies now...

Syntsui

Oct 25, 2017
Rally games are extremely intimidating even for people that like racing games, no surprises here. This franchise just has no hype for years.

Ths game is not even a rally game, but that's what other people and I associate it with lol.

-girgosz-

Aug 16, 2018
Think GT and Forza have ruined expectations. People want a thousand cars and tracks in every racer which simply is ridiculous. The younger generation maybe be a factor, definitely.

I think any racing game that doesn't have GT/Forza/NFS/MK in the title is likely DOA if priced at $60.

There has been a surprisingly low amount of genuine innovation and quality.

The PC space is more suited to experimental stuff like Wreckfest, Euro Truck Simulator, etc.

At least Wreckfest did pretty good on consoles.

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
I really wish I understood why so many genres are floundering this hard these days. It feels like we have greater access to games than ever but less and less KINDS of games seem to be doing well. Like I don't play racing games much at all, but these ones USED to do well and now they're just...not.

What the hell is going on with the industry? Did GaaS games really just carve up the lion's share of the casual buyer market?

Value I guess. I wouldn't shell out 60 bucks for a racing game. All you do is... race.

You buy a GaaS game and there's probably some bullshit racing minigame. (See GTAV or Cyberpunk)

MirageDwarf

Oct 28, 2017
They should have made game to fill in void left by Burnout styles racers. There aren't many studios left that can make good racing games.

Fuck GT, Forza, and Forza Horizon!

Can someone please make spiritual sequel to Burnout Paradise?

Sha_96

Jan 22, 2019
It has been marketed a bunch. It was on both XSX and PS5 showcases. It was one of the first big cross-gen games and somewhat of a showcase for new console tech like 120hz. It was on DF, IGN, Gamespot and other big site with gameplay and prewievs like two weeks ago. It had a million bigger coverage than Dirt 4 and Dirt Rally 2.0. It also reviewed really well and it was released on many platforms. Seriously. What more hype do you want for a Dirt game?

well it definitely got drowned in the next gen hype then, don't get me wrong I love the Dirt games but this game got overlooked pretty hard

Youngfossil

Oct 27, 2017
Racing game makers are trying to straddle reality too much

Bring back Jet moto, Motorstorm, Wave racer, project gothem, Arcade Racers!

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
While I do like the game, I would say that it has a lot of issues. I would go as far as to say that it's not as good as any of the prior mainline Dirt games. Both singleplayer and multiplayer are super barebones, and the gymkhana is the only mode that feels somewhat fleshed out. It feels as though it was rushed to launch with the next gen systems.

Also, I think folks who want arcade racers are playing open world racing games now. Forza Horizon really captured that audience and I think that most folks looking for the kind of experiences Dirt 5 offers, probably feel already quite well catered for in Horizon and games like that.

-girgosz-

Aug 16, 2018
Why are so many of my favourite genres going extinct? :( Good thing we have indies now...

So many genres got way smaller and niche. Gaming is bigger than ever but not for all. F2P, Quick and big discounts, free games (PS Plus, EGS), cheap subs (GP), big games getting even bigger (Sony/Nintendo ex's) are all coming at a big price. I truly feel sorry for devs stuck in one genre like Codemasters. Gaming is becoming a combination of experimenting within genres to become the next viral thing and/or go hard on nostalgia. Either that or get shuffled into a sub with 300 games like this game will be. :'/

HOTTAKE: Codemasters would have been the next surprise bankruptcy in few years or months and T2 stepped in.

Teeth

Nov 4, 2017
It doesn't help that Dirt Rally (1), Dirt Showdown, and Dirt 3 have all been given away for free (from Humble or other sites) at different points over the last 5 years. There's probably a lot of people (like me) who have three un-played Dirt games in their Steam library, wondering if buying the newest one is a wise investment.

That said, I don't think Dirt 5 even made Steam's "New and Trending" list, which is absolutely damning. I usually check Steam every other day or so and I didn't even realize it was released. That is just terrible for a game of this magnitude.

Deleted member 8468

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Got it on PS5 for impulse triggers since they decided not to support wheels on PC.
I imagine this is a big reason it didn't sell.

Sim racing has a decent sized following on PC, and it's grown a ton this year. That community is strongly against casual racing games however. The vitriol thrown towards Project Cars 3 was intense.

Deleted member 31092

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
This is the answer, I think.

Much like MK is the "exception that proves the rule" for fighters, Mario Kart / GT / Forza are the exceptions that prove the rule with racers. (And my impression is that each of those series are in decline versus historical installments.)

Also, this makes the Take Two acquisition so strange. Why are you buying into a declining market?

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe will literally be the best selling racing title ever with more than 40m copies sold so I don't see how you can consider Mario Kart a declining series.

Oct 27, 2017
I imagine this is a big reason it didn't sell.

Sim racing has a decent sized following on PC, and it's grown a ton this year. That community is strongly against casual racing games however. The vitriol thrown towards Project Cars 3 was intense.

Wasn't that more to do with the fact that Project Cars 3 has pivoted away from being a sim racer compared to the first 2 games? If the series had always been one or the other I don't think that reaction would have been as dramatic.

ShaiKhulud

Oct 27, 2017
Kazan, Russia
Too many DiRTs in a very small timeframe. And like with GRID and PCars 3, game missed all hype from any type of racing fans: arcade, simcade or pure sim aficionados. Hell, it doesn't even supports wheels on PC, imagine that. The anticipation in the racing community was 0 degrees Kelvin.

The game's message was confusing from the start. What is it? Rally simcade? Arcade racer? Some weird mishmash? And the messy DiRT bradning hardly helped either. I am a huge racing fan myself (both arcade and sim) and never bothered with the game since the initial reveal. Guess I'm not alone.

Deleted member 31092

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
My 2 cents.

Mainstream gamers play Mario Kart.
Graphic enthusiasts play Forza or Gran Turismo.
Hardcore motorsport fans play iRacing, rFactor 2, Assetto Corsa.

The market can't sustain any other alternative currently.

Zeth

Feb 8, 2018
I refunded it after a few races. Terribly dull and lifeless driving model even compared to previous titles.

I should say I've played countless hours on PC sims but usually enjoy F1, MotoGP and Dirt stuff

Deleted member 8468

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Wasn't that more to do with the fact that Project Cars 3 has pivoted away from being a sim racer compared to the first 2 games? If the series had always been one or the other I don't think that reaction would have been as dramatic.
You're right, it ratched up the intensity of the reaction. On the places I frequent Forza and GT get dumped on regularly, it just isn't as directed or angry.

-girgosz-

Aug 16, 2018
well it definitely got drowned in the next gen hype then, don't get me wrong I love the Dirt games but this game got overlooked pretty hard

It got overlooked because nobody cared anyway. You're kinda proving it if you watched the next-gen gameplay streams from MS and Sony then you have seen the game and forgot it even existed so you probably didn't care in the first place. The game got every chance it could and would have flopped even hardver if comes out 6 months ago with barely any next-gen news. Look at PC3 or Grid.

Argentil

Oct 27, 2017
Looks like the main cause is a bad port on PC. Speaking for myself, I feel like the rally (not even racing) genre is oversaturated for how niche the sub-genre actually is. People have been crying out for a midnight club sequel/successor for years, why not just pivot and release your "drab" rally games incrementally. Go full on fever dream arcade monstrosity a la Midnight Club and see how it goes?