• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
There is no in game music ?
Dirt 2,3, and 4 didn't have music during races, so I doubt this will. They did have a good variety of tracks for pre and post race as well as all menus.

I'm assuming it's a rally thing - you need to hear your navigator. But I do wish they'd allow for music during all the other races that aren't just point-to-point.
You can just play your own/a random list with Spotify integration on X and maybe the same on ps5 im sure?

The game has a big soundtrack and you can choose it to play during races too.

blog.codemasters.com

F1® 22 Latest News and Game Updates - EA SPORTS

Read the latest F1® 22 news, FAQs, and game updates from new circuits to driver ratings.

aspiring

Oct 25, 2017
The game has a big soundtrack and you can choose it to play during races too.

blog.codemasters.com

F1® 22 Latest News and Game Updates - EA SPORTS

Read the latest F1® 22 news, FAQs, and game updates from new circuits to driver ratings.

i love LOVE the fact that whoever picks the playlist, picked a New Found Glory song literally from their first album. Like at that point they have to be a fan or at least that's what I'm rolling with. Brilliant haha

VG Aficionado

Nov 6, 2017
It looks great! Will there be a demo for this? I haven't played a racing game in ages and I would love to try it out.

TheHyde

Oct 29, 2017
Also not really feeling this - is this really supposed to be "next gen racing game"? Of course it is cross-gen but still. Like some have said, I think there are several current gen titles that look better. Also - looks like the physics are exactly the same as DiRT 4. I expect more - and I have played racing games for 35+ years.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
This looks way more appealing to me than any other Codies' game of the last 15 years. Just love the colourful arcade style the game is steering towards.

nikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
Good to see some ultrawide footage. I feel like the quality of preview videos isn't doing this game justice. Looking forward to actually experiencing it first-hand.

I kind of get that sense of the vehicle being stationary and the track moving under it, especially when it gets air sometimes. Luckily, I don't use chase cams so that shouldn't be an issue.

Emick81

Jan 17, 2018
Agree 100% with all of this. I genuinely don't get the praise for the visuals. Imo it wouldn't have a place in a top 10 best racing visuals for this gen let alone the next.
I agree as well. I think it looks worse with every video I see.

It looks like an old PC-game running on a new GFX card with a lot of AA going on.

I am really looking forward to a new race game but this is not doing it for me. Of course I will check the reviews and userreactions once the nextgen versions are out.

Penny Royal

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
QLD, Australia
Torn on this.

I love racers, but when it comes to Rallying, I'm still mentally with Colin Macrae from the PS1 and really don't like combining multi-car racing with rallying in a semi-realistic setting. I'm very much a time-trial P2P, co-driver telling me I'm approaching an L2 that tightens.

Doesn't look too hot, but handling and feel always trumps pretty for me in a racing game.

OTOH, this is the ex Evo guys, and I love their work and would like to see them get a decent selling game on the board after the closure and failure of Onrush.

Zool

Oct 28, 2017
It's crazy that games can look this realistic but still uses invisible walls...

TechBoss

Technical Director @ Codemasters Cheshire
Verified
May 7, 2020
There is no in game music ?
Wow. Ok im 100% out. Thanks

Don't worry, we have in-race music :)

We have an excellent soundtrack too :) (I love hearing Pearl Jam mid-race <3)

DIRT5-Soundtrack_promo_1by1_final.jpg

pagrab

Oct 27, 2017
This game went from being a deep-sale purchase to day-one purchase for me. It looks great and the inclusion of soundtracks brings it closer to an arcade racer.

Bucéfalo

Banned
May 29, 2020
No offense, but this game looks terrible, and probably because they want to push the 120FPS that no one is going to actually take advantage of in a console.

EDIT: in any case, it looks fun, which ultimately is what actually matters in games.

Rumenapp

Forza Photographer
Nov 9, 2017
Any word if this has multiplayer for staged rallies? If so, I'm in.

There's no rally stages in the game whatsoever.

This looks way more appealing to me than any other Codies' game of the last 15 years. Just love the colourful arcade style the game is steering towards.

Dirt 2/3 would be up your alley then.

I feel dumb as fuck everytime Era discusses this game, because I honestly think it looks quite bad.

Not that it looks bad in the way of graphics but to me it just looks bland compared to Dirt 2/3 and there's no rally stages like in the previous games.

Also there's no playground(?) like in Dirt 3/Showdown with the objectives in each map. That was very entertaining.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
The only reason I haven't pre-ordered this yet is because Xbox do those mad Xbox Rewards 'buy this game and get £5 worth of points back' offers and they never include pre-orders made before the offer is live.

But fully in. Looks amazing.

MaLDo

Oct 27, 2017
I will ask this again? How this game is graphically worse than Dirt 2 from 2009?

dirt501.png

dirt502.png

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
They're cherry-picked screenshots, but honestly, the game doesn't look so hot. Which is fine. It looks fun. I just don't get the hype over the visuals.
It looks good, I agree it doesn't look like some massive super impressive graphical showpiece or anything but trying to say it looks worse than Dirt 2 is fucking wild lol.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
I feel dumb as fuck everytime Era discusses this game, because I honestly think it looks quite bad.
That's great and all but did you ever think people have their own likes and don't need a negative opinion. It ain't driveclub. Nobody said it was. It's a cross gen game. It's arcade side of rally.

you keep hammering it home you don't like this game

we get it....we see your posts

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
Looks great. As long as performance is similar, I'll get it on the X due to preferring that controller.

Jan 13, 2020
That's great and all but did you ever think people have their own likes and don't need a negative opinion. It ain't driveclub. Nobody said it was. It's a cross gen game. It's arcade side of rally.

you keep hammering it home you don't like this game

we get it....we see your posts
No need to get upset about one man's opinion on the internet, my dude. Take a step outside.

MaLDo

Oct 27, 2017
It looks good, I agree it doesn't look like some massive super impressive graphical showpiece or anything but trying to say it looks worse than Dirt 2 is fucking wild lol.

Maybe I have to go deeper than that.

Dirt 2 is one of my fav racing games. Everything is really well hand-crafted and every asset/tech is designed to add value.

When seeing Dirt 5 footage I have the impression that art and tech are not working together. Visually is not appealing for me. There are so many objects without shadow, btw distant shadow ir short. Those palms are terrible, the colors and not ok, mountains in the background are really low detail and that hot balloon is like 20 polys total (see picture from Italy footage), those stone bridge-pillars are plain, the shaders and shadowing in the trees is missing, etc. The package seems rushed and inconsistent and globally, I really think that Dirt 2 is visually more appealing and coherent even using less advanced graphical tech.

dirt5-03.png

dirt5-04.png

dirt5-05.png

dirt2-2.png

dirt2-3.png

AllBizness

Banned
Mar 22, 2020
Graphically speaking, it somehow looks a little worse than Driveclub in a lot of the videos. Is it a lower budget game?
See that's the thing, I've spent this gen playing nothing but Gran Turismo Sport and Drive Club. These Dirt 5 graphics do not impress in the slightest. Maybe because it's not built from the ground up on next gen.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe I have to go deeper than that.

Dirt 2 is one of my fav racing games. Everything is really well hand-crafted and every asset/tech is designed to add value.

When seeing Dirt 5 footage I have the impression that art and tech are not working together. Visually is not appealing for me. There are so many objects without shadow, btw distant shadow ir short. Those palms are terrible, the colors and not ok, mountains in the background are really low detail and that hot balloon is like 20 polys total (see picture from Italy footage), those stone bridge-pillars are plain, the shaders and shadowing in the trees is missing, etc. The package seems rushed and inconsistent and globally, I really think that Dirt 2 is visually more appealing and coherent even using less advanced graphical tech.

I'm not gonna lie man, the main thing the screenshots you're posting are reminding me of is how bad bloom lighting was last gen lol.
You've definitely listed a lot of nitpicks, but I don't personally think they ruin the overall look of the game but I guess I can see why you might.