• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
In the next-gen race, while the PS5 boasts its blazingly fast SSD, the Xbox Series X touts other advantages, chief among them being its GPU, which at 12 teraflops, outmatches the PS5's 10.28 teraflops of GPU power, at least as far as pure numbers are concerned.

Speaking in any interview with GamingBolt, when asked about the difference between the GPUs of the two next-gen consoles, Moreton said, "From development and gameplay perspectives, it doesn't really have an impact. When it comes to tuning, tweaking and optimizations at the end of a game, it might mean slightly less work for one platform."

Of course, it's worth noting that on top of all that, multiplatform developers will also have to keep the Xbox Series S' much less powerful GPU in mind, which means the gap between the PS5 and Xbox Series X is going to end up being irrelevant.​

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
Yep, as expected.

And the bottom line is the logical one, when you need to optimize for Series S, having the PS5 in the middle is like nothing.

Oneself

#TeamThierry
Oct 26, 2017
Montréal, Québec, Canada
User Banned (3 days): Hostility; antagonizing other members
Edit 2: Most studios, especially third-party studios, will not be pushing the consoles that hard in their release titles. That includes Codemasters.
This will be due to a mix of reasons relating to time, hardware access (it typically takes over two years to make a game) , the fact that a game like Dirt 5 has to work on a potato and maintaining parity between different console versions of the game. That's why I think this quote is useless and says absolutely nothing about the power differences between the two next gen consoles.
And to those who are acting like they know their shit and other smartasses, we'll see in 2-3 years. In the meantime, try to work on those social skills.

Last edited:

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Don't tell anyone, but this is why I haven't preordered any third-party games and am waiting for DF comparisons. SHHHHH.

I don't think it's 100% a given that Series X will outperform the PS5 as handily as the One X did the Pro, and I'm expecting things to be a bit more competitive game to game.

horkrux

Oct 27, 2017
Monday: Dirt 5
Tuesday: Dirt 5
Wednesday: Dirt 5!
Thursday: yup, Dirt 5
Friday: you've guessed it, Dirt 5

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017
They said the same about Series S and that's a bigger gap, so why would PS5 be any different?

LilScooby77

Dec 11, 2019
Yeah this time of last gen we had 900p vs 1080p for AC4. I don't think any game is having a difference like that at launch.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
Of course it doesn't change the development targets. Especially on a cross-platform cross-gen game.

You still have to tweak the games to work on the hardware. Whether that is resolution, LOD, texture quality, etc.

This doesn't mean there won't be some differences across hardware.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
Expected. The GPU gap last generation was ~30%, this time it's ~16%. It was never going to amount to anything substantial.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Says a multiplat dev making a cross gen game.
Yeah, I was gonna say. In the case of Dirt 5, and all games releasing in the next 12 months, that's likely true. If anything it will be the games a couple years from now when PS4/Xbone are long gone, and devs have learned the new systems, where it will matter

(also, you're never going to get a third party developer on record in an interview shit on the power of one of the platforms)

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
Don't tell anyone, but this is why I haven't preordered any third-party games and am waiting for DF comparisons. SHHHHH.

I don't think it's 100% a given that Series X will outperform the PS5 as handily as the One X did the Pro, and I'm expecting things to be a bit more competitive game to game.

I'm in the same boat and I even think the PS5 will have advantages of its own and those advantages, like faster loading and less pop-in, will probably tip me over into buying my multiplats on PS5.

TripleBee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Vancouver
They aren't comparing power - just difficulty to optimize. Beyond saying increased power on one of the consoles makes it easier.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
I mean, if they never made a fuss about it in the past with PS4 and Xbox One, no reason to stir up that hornet's nest of toxicity now especially when they are a multiplat developer.

Whatever the power gap manifests as, DF and somesuch outlet will cover it.

Personally, I only expect the Dynamic resolution scaling and peak resolution to be a bit different (less than what's between Pro and X).

IMCaprica

Aug 1, 2019
Says a multiplat dev making a cross gen game.
I don't think Codemasters would want him to say "oh Xbox is clearly more powerful" even if it was the case. You know, business relations...
So wait, they're a multiplat dev making a cross-gen game, which would make them the ideal developer to have that kind of first-hand knowledge, but also they're probably lying because business relations?

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017

same. If they're really close - perhaps to the point of being practically identical - then that lets me choose perhaps based on better haptics etc

MysteryM

Oct 28, 2017
It's being built to run on both platforms, saying one needs less optimising is basically saying we aren't using the difference. Nothing to see here.

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017
They aren't comparing power - just difficulty to optimize. Beyond saying increased power on one of the consoles makes it easier.

That's what I got from it but I just assumed there was more in the actual article that I didn't click on or something. This all seems very "no-brainer".

Bunkles

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Think about it this way. The difference between Series X and PS5 GPU wise could be down to counting pixels or waiting for a DF video. The difference between Series X and PS5 SSD could be apparent to everyone. We simply don't know yet. So I'd def wait for direct comparisons on the ports.

Oct 28, 2017
Should probably stress in the OP that this isn't saying there is no difference, just that the difference isn't hard to develop for. There's an important distinction there. Series S and Series X are also designed to be easy to develop for (obviously we'll have to hear from devs whether that's true) despite having significantly different amounts of power.

Snake Eater

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Let's have the same conversation in two years, with everything being cross gen I don't know how any developer has had enough time to say accurately

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Think about it this way. The difference between Series X and PS5 GPU wise could be down to counting pixels or waiting for a DF video. The difference between Series X and PS5 SSD could be apparent to everyone. We simply don't know yet. So I'd def wait for direct comparisons on the ports.
The difference between Series X and PS5 SSD might be a huge one in absolute percentages but if it's down to single digit seconds people will neither really care nor notice. We are not talking about load times in the minutes like this gen anymore, thankfully.
When it comes to new gameplay ideas, I'm doubtful it will mean much for third party anyway.

thevid

Puzzle Master
Oct 25, 2017

Xbox fanboys will be playing with a magnifying glass and PlayStation fanboys will be playing with stop watches.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Of course it doesn't change the development targets. Especially on a cross-platform cross-gen game.

You still have to tweak the games to work on the hardware. Whether that is resolution, LOD, texture quality, etc.

This doesn't mean there won't be some differences across hardware.
You got it. He talked about development and gameplay perspective, not about graphics.
Expected. The GPU gap last generation was ~30%, this time it's ~16%. It was never going to amount to anything substantial.
He didn't talk about graphics at all. But I do agree that the difference between the consoles won't be big.
I mean, it's built to scale to a Series S.
It's build to scale to PS4 and Xbox One S.

Oneself

#TeamThierry
Oct 26, 2017
Montréal, Québec, Canada
So wait, they're a multiplat dev making a cross-gen game, which would make them the ideal developer to have that kind of first-hand knowledge, but also they're probably lying because business relations?
I don't think they'd be lying, but if you've been following videogames for a while you should know that nobody will make clear comments about a power difference between competing consoles early in their life cycles. That's Digital Foundry's job.

Bunkles

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Xbox fanboys will be playing with a magnifying glass and PlayStation fanboys will be playing with stop watches.

LOL yeah.

What's the first thing the media did when they got the Series X? They compared load times to One and One X. This is going to happen all next gen.

Dec 8, 2018
The only ones thinking the smallest performance delta in generations would amount to anything substantial was either delusional or having an agenda.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
Anyone that thought any different is delusional. There is an overwhelming amount of evidence and common sense that proves this.

I have called this before, the SSD would make for more of a noticeable difference than a 17% GPU advantage between two consoles f which one of them shares a house with a 4F console.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
hahahaha. Sadly I can already see the hottakes and lazy devs rhetoric by PS and Xbox fanboys, if a Xbox games doesn't look better or a PS game doesn't have visible shorter loading.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany

I mean, besides the, very possible, gap with Series X (even if it will be small), you also have like 10 other big reasons for it to be the main console in comparison. I personally made my decision long time ago and with every hands-on so far it's like my decision gets validated on weekly bases. You have to look at the whole picture, not only that one thing that will be 1:1 equal at worst.

Get both on day one by the way.

IMCaprica

Aug 1, 2019
I don't think they'd be lying, but if you've been following videogames for a while you should know that nobody will make clear comments about a power difference between competing consoles early in their life cycles. That's Digital Foundry's job.
Except that's clearly not what they're talking about, as evident by the thread title, the quote in OP, and the article.

Spirited

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Anyone that thought any different is delusional. There is an overwhelming amount of evidence and common sense that proves this.

I have called this before, the SSD would make for more of a noticeable difference than a 17% GPU advantage between two consoles f which one of them shares a house with a 4F console.
Halfing a loading time in single digits seconds won't make much of a difference either.

I do believe the difference between both consoles will be very small this gen both in graphics and in loading, both having a small advantage in one of two metrics.