• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

V3N1X

Prophet of Truth
Oct 16, 2021
Alexandria, Egypt
Announcement on the DirectX Dev Blog

Starting today, Windows games can ship with DirectStorage. This public SDK release begins a new era of fast load times and detailed worlds in PC games by allowing developers to more fully utilize the speed of the latest storage devices. In September 2020, we announced DirectStorage would be coming to Windows, and after collecting feedback throughout our developer preview, we are making this API available to all of our partners to ship with their games. Check out the announcement blog for an in-depth exploration of the inspiration for DirectStorage and how it will benefit Windows games.

We will be presenting an introduction to DirectStorage at GDC– along with some tips and tricks to get started– on March 22. If you're unable to watch it live, check back here for a link to the on-demand video of the session after the 22. We also recommend that you check out the GDC talk presented by Luminous about their integration of DirectStorage in Forspoken.

Edit: check Threadmarks for the compiled version and how to run the demo if you're interested.

Last edited:

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
we know Forspoken will be a game supporting it, but I think The Witcher 3 is supposed to support it too?

Vimto

Oct 29, 2017
That's cool, I wonder if devs already had access to it or is it just now being made available? If so, I don't know when we will start game support for this feature.

Also for those interested, there will be 2 session about DirectStorage on GDC.

We will be presenting an introduction to DirectStorage at GDC– along with some tips and tricks to get started– on March 22. If you're unable to watch it live, check back here for a link to the on-demand video of the session after the 22. We also recommend that you check out the GDC talk presented by Luminous about their integration of DirectStorage in Forspoken.

OP
OP
V3N1X

V3N1X

Prophet of Truth
Oct 16, 2021
Alexandria, Egypt
OP
OP
V3N1X

V3N1X

Prophet of Truth
Oct 16, 2021
Alexandria, Egypt
Last time I ran Intel's Sampler Feedback Streaming demo on my PC https://github.com/GameTechDev/SamplerFeedbackStreaming and under benchmark mode (rapid, almost inhuman camera movement with 100% unique textures) it was loading tiles from disk at a continuous 2-3 GB/s per second (SN850, old IO stack), it has now been updated to support DirectStorage like 30 mins ago, will test on my Win11 machine later.

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
That's cool, I wonder if devs already had access to it or is it just now being made available? If so, I don't know when we will start game support for this feature.

Also for those interested, there will be 2 session about DirectStorage on GDC.

Interested, but ticket being is in range of 700€...

Vimto

Oct 29, 2017
Last time I ran Intel's Sampler Feedback Streaming demo on my PC https://github.com/GameTechDev/SamplerFeedbackStreaming and under benchmark mode (rapid, almost inhuman camera movement with 100% unique textures) it was loading tiles from disk at a continuous 2-3 GB/s per second (SN850, old IO stack), it has now been updated to support DirectStorage like 30 mins ago, will test on my Win11 machine later.
Is there a compiled version for download?

Looking forward to your results

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
I imagine upcoming MS titles will utilise it. Perhaps Starfield and Forza this year

Excited to see the results

Interesting. Is there a game that's supposedly implementing it soon?
Forspoken in October and supposedly the Witcher 3 remastered but there's no source on that

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
It sounds awesome, but I can't help but be skeptical.

DX12 sounded awesome too, and now we have games with terrible stuttering that can't be fixed with mods because it gives all the control to developers, so who knows how this will turn out. Maybe my concerns are unfounded this time and it's a way different situation 🤷‍♂️

OP
OP
V3N1X

V3N1X

Prophet of Truth
Oct 16, 2021
Alexandria, Egypt
Learned my raid 0 lesson when one of the drives crashed and I had to re-do everything. Not worth it! I knew the risks and everything going in, but when it happens to you, it just sucks.

I mean, if the disks are being used for certain types of data, total array failure doesn't matter... probably have to consume lots of bandwidth to re-download all the games that were on it though... curious where they store the save files though.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
20220312_175259cykva.jpg

Finished the build on Saturday. It's already pretty dang fast to load software, etc, but you're still not talking about PS5 exclusive load speeds even with a 12900K. I generally target builds at new OSs, so it's great seeing resizable BAR, auto HDR etc. And I'm obviously very ready to take advantage of direct storage too.

Learned my raid 0 lesson when one of the drives crashed and I had to re-do everything. Not worth it! I knew the risks and everything going in, but when it happens to you, it just sucks.
I've run multiple raid setups and know the risk. I won't put data on this that isn't getting backed up to the cloud, and you may be surprised to hear this, but installing windows from USB was *pretty fast*. The entire build was done without copying over any data from my old PC. Everything came from the cloud and thanks to Game Pass and Steam that included most of my save games. There's some Epic Games Store games I have that don't use built in cloud saves, but nothing I'm particularly worried about having lost. Starting from an empty hard drive is pretty easy these days if you're invested in Microsoft's eco system.

The main thing would be redownloading whatever games I want to play. Flight Sim took quite a while to download (especially with the free content packs).

Mainly, the appeal of RAID 0 here was as much about giving me a single 4 TB volume to throw games at, vs my old build where my fast storage was circa 800 GB and I regularly had to move and juggle software between that and a large 7200 RPM secondary volume.

One of the most notable improvements with this build so far are load times, but I know we're barely scratching the surface until we get direct storage and games developed for it.

Any chance of SF6 using this?
While any game can benefit, something like SF6 isn't the ideal candidate for this, since you're dealing with generally constrained environments, and you aren't bringing nearly as much in and out of memory on the fly. Games with large open worlds like Forspoken are going to most notably benefit from things like this, I'd imagine.

Sampler Feedback Streaming Demo [With DirectStorage Support]
OP
OP
V3N1X

V3N1X

Prophet of Truth
Oct 16, 2021
Alexandria, Egypt
Ok, just ran the demo again... reads at 4-5 GB/s using 16K textures with the Hubble demo :)

I just uploaded the binaries https://mega.nz/file/ZFEX0QyL#CYzxvlHsPSSZU7pb2D9-g0tBB3mQaR8zjX10pX5S7HM (compiled for x64 versions of Windows against Win 11 SDK), Virus Total: https://www.virustotal.com/gui/file...3338cc13d1fbfe850849726f0d4f1ec2b8d/detection

Please, do NOT trust any links on the Internet, kindly compare the hash of the 7z file with the VirusTotal result before running any executables on your PC.

The binaries do not include the 16K textures, but you can download them from the Github repository on this link: https://github.com/GameTechDev/SamplerFeedbackStreaming/releases/download/1/hubble-16k.zip and then extract to the media dir

You can run the demo using the following command (from CMD/Powershell), and if you want to stress the SSD/Streaming Solution you can try benchmark mode

Code:
.\demo-hubble.bat -mediadir .\media\hubble-16k\

Edit: Note: the demo intentionally amplifies the conditions in which data needs to be streamed from disk and thus is not reflective of real-world gaming scenarios.

This repository contains an MIT licensed demo of DirectX12 Sampler Feedback Streaming, a technique using DirectX12 Sampler Feedback to guide continuous loading and eviction of small portions (tiles) of assets allowing for much higher visual quality than previously possible by making better use of GPU memory capacity. Sampler Feedback Streaming allows scenes consisting of 100s of gigabytes of resources to be drawn on GPUs containing much less physical memory. The scene below uses just ~200MB of a 1GB heap, despite over 350GB of total texture resources. (Objects could have shared streaming resources, but the intent of the demo is to show the potential of using many unique textures).