• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Molto

Oct 27, 2017
Great movie but what's up with the directors cut not being on the 4K Blu ray? Nice that you can stream it, but streaming is never on par with disc quality.

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
I saw it, didn't care for it, and don't care to see a longer version unless it fixes the ending.

God if anything the theatrical run needed to be cut DOWN.

Chibs

Nov 5, 2017
Belgium
I liked it well enough, but if anything it was too long already. I honestly doubt I'll ever watch this version, but it is pretty neat.

Dec 6, 2017
US
I'm a huge Shining fan but dropped the book out of boredom somewhere midway through and the trailers to this looked...kind of cheesy, like a made-for-TV type flick.

The fact a DC exists kind of makes me more interested in checking that version out.

SeroTyler

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This recent trend of directors cuts only on the blu ray or on streaming legit makes me see red.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I've only grown to appreciate the movie more and more since seeing it, to the point that it might creep onto my top 10 list. It's a super different thing than the Shining, more of a "new story in the universe of The Shining" than a "sequel", but it's so well acted and well done. I loved it. My only gripe is Rebecca Fergusson, despite being a ton of fun, had long stretches of dialogue where she slipped in and out of her native accent.

NeoGold123

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Sounds good. Theatrical was not too long by any means, I'll be interested to see what they do with the extra time

Oct 25, 2017
I saw it, and thought Flanagan did about as well as could be expected with dogshit source material. There is one significant exception though, namely that there is nothing compelling or threatening about Rose as portrayed by Ferguson. She might be a fine actor otherwise, but the role need a level of charisma and intensity that she clearly couldn't tap into.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
What was the original length again?

Despite being 2 hours+ the movie did feel like it could have developed certain things more, maybe I'll catch this.

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
In for this. I greatly enjoyed the movie.

I just hope the Baseball Kid torture scene isn't any longer. Don't think I could handle that.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I liked this movie a lot despite its kinda shitty ending. Almost everything leading up to the last 30 minutes totally clicked.

And yes, Rebecca Ferguson is painfully good looking.

geomon

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
ThinHatefulAmethystinepython-size_restricted.gif

VinylCassette64

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Funny enough I just saw it a few hours ago at the theater. Found the third act a bit weaker than the first two but I mostly loved it otherwise. Bummed it didn't do too well box-office wise, it's easily in my top five favorite movies this year.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Hmm. I think I'd be down to try the Director's Cut, but I don't have a ton of faith that it fixes the movie.

The last act at the Overlook is just a crap climax. It turns The Shining into a Universal Halloween Horror Nights attraction.

Extra Sauce

Oct 27, 2017
I guess my first watch will be of the director's cut.

after Midsommar's DC being streaming only and the 4K Blu-ray of this movie missing the DC though, it's starting to feel like studios have declared all-out war on physical media. as if artificially delaying physical releases weeks after digital wasn't sketchy enough.

May 24, 2019
I've read the book, but can't think of what they would have cut out.

edit: I don't think that trailer shows anything new.

Pyccko

Oct 25, 2017
I liked it a lot until they went back to the Overlook. Having seen The Shining remastered in the theater about a month before really showed how far they fell short of getting the magic of that place right. And having new actors as Jack and Wendy kinda took me out as well, though I totally get why they needed the characters back in. Otherwise, really solid movie. Rebecca Ferguson killed it. And man, the
child murder scene
was really grim and hard to watch, I was surprised they went that far with it.