• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
I literally thought the Sauvage campaign with Depp from a few years back was parody for the longest time -- I truly, actually assumed it was an SNL sketch. This just takes it to a whole other level of not just shitty, but wrong.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
The name supposedly has been a thing since 1966 but that's the only explainable thing about this

Read the room, Depp
Eh, I don't know about that one: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/2598455/Percy-Savage.html

Doesn't really need the name to still be an asinine, tone-deaf advert though.

Seems like they had better intentions that one would assume and they actually worked with native advisors and they are talking about colonization etc. in this:

Still a terrible fucking ad.

Wait, you guys are just getting Sauvage in the US?

The current incarnation has been around probably the last 3 or 4 yrs, I use it and it smells great. The original Ad for it several years ago was fine (still with Depp), but damn, this Ad is crazy!
Wait, so this has been out since 1966? Why's it news now?
Eau Sauvage is a different fragrance. It's existed since the 60s from Dior.

Sauvage is a newer scent inspired by the original's name, but is not the same nor a replacement for it. It is several years old.

This ad in this thread is for Sauvage, le Parfum. Which is a recent sub-fragrance of Sauvage from a few years ago.

Both Sauvage and Sauvage le Parfum have always had Johnny Depp as the face.

Ragnorok64

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Eau Sauvage is a different fragrance. It's existed since the 60s from Dior.

Sauvage is a newer scent inspired by the original's name, but is not the same nor a replacement for it. It is several years old.

This ad in this thread is for Sauvage, le Parfum. Which is a recent sub-fragrance of Sauvage from a few years ago.

Both Sauvage and Sauvage le Parfum have always had Johnny Depp as the face.
Thank you! I was so confused at what was going on here.

Deleted member 82

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For some reason the part that I find most ridiculous about this whole ad is the random Disney-Pocahontas-like supermodel Indian girl.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
I keep looking at this thinking it's called Sausage.

IneptEMP

Jan 14, 2019
Seems like one of those intentionally racist commercial companies like to throw out from time to time to drum up attention

Desmond

Oct 25, 2017
I've seen ads for this on bus stops in Dublin, which is hilarious to me, because her Savage is slang for cool a la wicked in the UK.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
Dior Sauvage and Depp's involvement with it are nothing new, pretty sure I used to see it quite a bit on ESPN and other sports programs at least a year ago. And there's nothing inherently wrong with either.

The
Yeah the perfume has been around for years, also with Johnny Depp. The native American angle is new

This. Pretty sure I saw the shorter ads quite a few times on ESPN and the like.

There's nothing inherently wrong with either the name or Depp's involvement, it's this particular application of both that's fucked.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
Robert Downey Jr.
In
~Niggeur~
Unlock your inner African.

tenor.gif

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
Oof, that's pretty bad. Is it possible they might have enough B-roll or environment shots to replace the native imagery?

It might be impossible to reschedule Depp again on short notice for reshoots, but they can recall a lot of the marketing posters and edit the video.

Lonewolf

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
As a non-american, can someone enlighten me why this is bad (the native american part)?

Comes across as "savage", a longtime slur against Native Americans. It would be sort of like a Spanish company naming a perfume "Negro" (which means "black" in Spanish), then using native African tribesmen in an advertisement for it.

Ciao

Jun 14, 2018
I think it refers to the nature, not the amerindians. Source : I'm french, and we always talk about "la nature sauvage", something like "wild nature" I guess. Of course there's the old "savages people" meaning, but I can't believe a huge company like Dior would be THIS tone deaf. I hope I'm right.

Figgles

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017
Not quite as bad perhaps, but YSL's Opium perfumes have had some terrible and campaigns. No one seems to have made a fuss about this but I thought having an ad for a perfume called Black Opium featuring a white woman running around Chinese city is a bit tone deaf.

Edit: A pretty good write up on this here:
In this essay, I will offer some details on a well-known haute couture of Yves Saint Laurent and its connection to neocolonialism, cultural appropriation and the opium wars in China.

It does make me think that courting controversy is quite often a deliberate part of these campaigns.

Last edited:

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
This is reverse Woke Brands, andthey were banking on the outrage for us to market their brand and product to racists.

Deleted member 3812

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The AP reports that allegedly Johnny Depp "was adopted as an honorary citizen of the Comanche Nation":

A new ad for a Dior men's fragrance called Sauvage sparked outrage Friday for its use of Native American culture and symbols.

The French luxury goods company posted a trailer Friday of a Native American dancer and promised more details about the fragrance on Monday. Another post, on Instagram, noted the campaign was developed along with Native American consultants. But the ad continued to receive heavy criticism for being insensitive and having an offensive name.

Sauvage in French has a variety of meanings, including wild, unspoiled and savage. The fragrance is not new; it has been produced by Dior since the mid-1960s.

Critics also decried the involvement of Johnny Depp, who is the celebrity face of the fragrance and stars in a film promoting Sauvage. Depp's portrayal of Tonto in the 2013 movie "The Lone Ranger" was also criticized, despite the actor working with consultants from the group Americans for Indian Opportunity, which also consulted on the Dior ad. Depp was adopted as an honorary citizen of the Comanche Nation in a private ceremony by the group's founder.

"Cultural appropriation for us is a huge thing because we've been dealing with this since colonization," said Ron "Looking Elk" Martinez, one of the consultants on the Dior ad in a video posted about its creation. "Our presence on this project is really to help. So for us to make sure that the look and the identity is authentic is very important."

Oct 27, 2017
Where is the part that I said savage doesn't carry other associations?
You never stated it doesn't carry other connotations, but you did equivocate savage and wild by suggesting "wild" is "what savage means". It's not "what savage means" when savage has a lot stronger negative connotations to it which are part of its meaning.

It's like saying "hate" and "dislike" mean the same thing because they both refer to a distaste in something, while ignoring that one is significantly stronger than the other.

Deleted member 82

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nah, it's a disgusting slur here in Québec, only hardcore racists would argue otherwise.

Can't speak for the Québécois so I'll take your word for it, but in France at least - I'm French -, the word sauvage does not automatically have a racist stink to it. If you use it as a noun (as in, un sauvage), then yeah, it absolutely is (see that thread not long ago about the Belgian festival with the horribly racist caricature of a "sauvage"); but if it's used as an adjective (which is how I take it in this case), then it mostly means "wild", or "untamed" if you're talking about an animal. The word "wilderness", for instance, could be translated as "la nature sauvage" in French. I'd wager that, when it comes to perfume, the notion of being wild or untamed is the appeal. Not being a part of an indigenous people or something.

It's a bit like the difference between saying something "is shit" and something "is the shit" in English: the mere fact of changing the grammatical nature of the word gives it a completely different flavor, if not an altogether different meaning.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
Can't speak for the Québécois so I'll take your word for it, but in France at least - I'm French -, the word sauvage does not automatically have a racist stink to it. If you use it as a noun (as in, un sauvage), then yeah, it absolutely is (see that thread not long ago about the Belgian festival with the horribly racist caricature of a "sauvage"); but if it's used as an adjective (which is how I take it in this case), then it mostly means "wild", or "untamed" if you're talking about an animal. The word "wilderness", for instance, could be translated as "la nature sauvage" in French. I'd wager that, when it comes to perfume, the notion of being wild or untamed is the appeal. Not being a part of an indigenous people or something.

It's a bit like the difference between saying something "is shit" and something "is the shit" in English: the mere fact of changing the grammatical nature of the word gives it a completely different flavor, if not an altogether different meaning.

This is like saying "faggot" isn't bad because english people associate it with cigarettes.

Of course it has other practical meanings, doesn't take ANYTHING away from the fact that it is a known slur used againt natives in Canada.

I don't know what you think you were doing by "well acutally"ing me right there, but it's a terrible look that shows your ignorance more than anything.

Deleted member 82

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is like saying "faggot" isn't bad because english people associate it with cigarettes.

Of course it has other practical meanings, doesn't take ANYTHING away from the fact that it is a known slur used againt natives in Canada.

I don't know what you think you were doing by "well acutally"ing me right there, but it's a terrible look that shows your ignorance more than anything.

Dude. I literally opened my post with "Can't speak for the Québécois so I'll take your word for it". By which I mean that the word might be differently loaded in Québec French and France French - wouldn't be the first time -, and that I'm unqualified to offer an opinion on the word as it is used and perceived in Québec because I'm not Québécois.

I was using this as a jumping point to talk about its use in another French-speaking country, without making a comment on how accurate or wrong your own explanation is. That said, I've seen other French-speaking people in the thread, statistically most likely French, have a reading similar to yours, and other, non-French-speaking people, genuinely wondering what the French word sauvage means and how it is used. I was just offering my own reading from a French perspective. That doesn't invalidate the fact that, yes, the noun sauvage is a slur in French; however, it does invalidate the notion that the word is necessarily insulting and cannot possibly be perceived differently. In France, in everyday speech, most people would use it as an adjective meaning "wild", not as a slur. That makes it differently loaded than the faux-equivalent English word "savage", which some English speakers might want to be aware of. Naming your perfume "Sauvage" doesn't carry quite the same racist baggage to a French speaker (in France, anyway) as naming it "Savage" would to an English speaker, because, unlike the French word, the English word is overwhelmingly used and perceived in a racist manner. The only exception I can think of is when you give someone a figurative burn and someone else comments "that was savage".

Is it tone-deaf to advertise your perfume as "Sauvage" in the US and Canada (including, going by what you say, Québec) given how close it is to the English slur? Oh yes, you bet. I won't argue with anyone against that, because I literally work as a professional naming consultant, and part of my job is making sure that you don't choose product/company names which might have a negative connotation in some countries. But in France at least, I don't see it causing much of a fuss honestly. And that's not because we're flaming racists or anything - well, some of us are, sadly, as evidence by Le Pen's relative success -, but because sauvage is overwhelmingly used to describe wild life in France. That's it.

(Side question to English people: do y'all really use the word "faggot" for "cigarette" all that often anymore? I know "fag" used to be/is used that way, but what about now? I'd imagine that, in 2019, it's slowly being dropped because the homophobic slur is just too well-known at this point, but I wouldn't know for sure. I don't live in the UK)

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
User warned: unnecessary hostility
Dude. I literally opened my post with "Can't speak for the Québécois so I'll take your word for it". By which I mean that the word might be differently loaded in Québec French and France French - wouldn't be the first time -, and that I'm unqualified to offer an opinion on the word as it is used and perceived in Québec because I'm not Québécois.

I was using this as a jumping point to talk about its use in another French-speaking country, without making a comment on how accurate or wrong your own explanation is. That said, I've seen other French-speaking people in the thread, statistically most likely French, have a reading similar to yours, and other, non-French-speaking people, genuinely wondering what the French word sauvage means and how it is used. I was just offering my own reading from a French perspective. That doesn't invalidate the fact that, yes, the noun sauvage is a slur in French; however, it does invalidate the notion that the word is necessarily insulting and cannot possibly be perceived differently. In France, in everyday speech, most people would use it as an adjective meaning "wild", not as a slur. That makes it differently loaded than the faux-equivalent English word "savage", which some English speakers might want to be aware of. Naming your perfume "Sauvage" doesn't carry quite the same racist baggage to a French speaker (in France, anyway) as naming it "Savage" would to an English speaker, because, unlike the French word, the English is overwhelmingly used and perceived in a racist manner. The only exception I can think of is when you give someone a figurative burn and someone else comments "that was savage".

Is it tone-deaf to advertise your perfume as "Sauvage" in the US and Canada (including, going by what you say, Québec) given how close it is to the English slur? Oh yes, you bet. I won't argue with anyone against that, because I literally work as a professional naming consultant, and part of my job is making sure that you don't choose product/company names which might have a negative connotation in some countries. But in France at least, I don't see it causing much of a fuss honestly. And that's not because we're flaming racists or anything - well, some of us are, sadly, as evidence by Le Pen's relative success -, but because sauvage is overwhelmingly used to describe wild life in France. That's it.

(Side question to English people: do y'all really use the word "faggot" for "cigarette" all that often anymore? I know "fag" used to be/is used that way, but what about now? I'd imagine that, in 2019, it's slowly being dropped because the homophobic slur is just too well-known at this point, but I wouldn't know for sure. I don't live in the UK)

Yeah but it's colonists from France that gave us this horrible legacy, you can read up about you culture's horrible history before french-splaining words to whitewash your shitty history.

"the english slur" fucking unreal, tu devrais être gêné de ton manque de connaissances de ce que ton pays a fait aux culture autour de la planète. Tes murs de texte puent le privilège et l'ignorance.

Deleted member 82

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah but it's colonists from France that gave us this horrible legacy, you can read up about you culture's horrible history before french-splaining words to whitewash your shitty history.

"the english slur" fucking unreal, tu devrais être gêné de ton manque de connaissances de ce que ton pays a fait aux culture autour de la planète. Tes murs de texte puent le privilège et l'ignorance.

France has a horrible history of colonialism and racism, yes. You certainly won't hear me deny that. I do not have any kind of love for my country, and I hate nationalism and colonialism in general. When people tell me about the great legacy of, oh I don't know, Napoléon, I just roll my eyes hard. Which doesn't mean I have zero white privilege or semi-unconscious biases when it comes to those issues (all white people have those), but I fail to see how this particular instance is a blatant display of white privilege on my part.

On that note, I'm not interested in discussing further. You just double down on calling me ignorant and privileged when the only point I'm making is one of linguistic and regional differences in word usage. Keep misconstruing my posts as some kind of rationalization for colonialism and French apologism all you want, I'm not having that shit. You do you.

Deleted member 984

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not quite as bad perhaps, but YSL's Opium perfumes have had some terrible and campaigns. No one seems to have made a fuss about this but I thought having an ad for a perfume called Black Opium featuring a white woman running around Chinese city is a bit tone deaf.

Edit: A pretty good write up on this here:

It does make me think that courting controversy is quite often a deliberate part of these campaigns.

With Opium it certainly is they have a few adverts that have been banned as well as get flack regularly.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
On that note, I'm not interested in discussing further. You just double down on calling me ignorant and privileged when the only point I'm making is one of linguistic and regional differences in word usage. Keep misconstruing my posts as some kind of rationalization for colonialism and French apologism all you want, I'm not having that shit. You do you.

I think this issue is too close to me and I know too much about our history to have any kind of patience for any kind of pedantry regarding slurs directed towards the indigenous peoples.

I am sorry if I offended you, if there is one thing I would recommend you do is listen to native voices and hear out what they have to say on these kinds of issues.