• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ditusjack

Oct 26, 2017
Best emulator to test this currently?

Tested it on Retroarch with Vulkan video driver and Mupen64PlusNext - Parallel RDP+RSP, pretty good.
n64-Vulkan-Driver-Mupen64-Plus-Next-Parallel-RDP-RSP.jpg

Acetown

Oct 28, 2017
I'm pretty excited to try this out, even though Star Fox Adventures sucked I'm still somewhat fascinated by the game that wasn't, not that I think it would've been some kind of revelation, but it always seemed like Rare's original vision was somewhat compromised by Nintendo's meddling. And even though the game design is blandness defined, I still admire many aspects of Rare's craft, like the graphics (obviously).

One thing that was clearly better in the N64 version was the music:

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm pretty excited to try this out, even though Star Fox Adventures sucked I'm still somewhat fascinated by the game that wasn't, not that I think it would've been some kind of revelation, but it always seemed like Rare's original vision was somewhat compromised by Nintendo's meddling. And even though the game design is blandness defined, I still admire many aspects of Rare's craft, like the graphics (obviously).

One thing that was clearly better in the N64 version was the music:

Not sure if these two tracks are in the game from what I heard? Most of the areas sound very much like what we eventually got with SFA. They just added even more tracks and refined existing ones.

Jakten

Oct 25, 2017
Devil World, Toronto
Tried playing earlier but it seems the sound effect for when you place a rock down on a pedestal button near the start crashes the emulator. Does anyone know how to get around that?

Other than that and the camera being kind of funky it's pretty interesting to play. I hope its able to be played through most of it. I wish I remembered Starfox Adventures more so I could better tell what is different.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
No, there is nothing. Go to the left and use the dig command
No idea, but the way forward is to the left. Your dinosaur buddy can dig a tunnel behind the tree.
Thanks!
Tried playing earlier but it seems the sound effect for when you place a rock down on a pedestal button near the start crashes the emulator. Does anyone know how to get around that?

Other than that and the camera being kind of funky it's pretty interesting to play. I hope its able to be played through most of it.
use this emulator instead of whatever you're using

Mickagau

Dec 11, 2018
France
Does this require the expansion pack? It looks quite good for an n64 game.

I don't think the game was far enough along for anything more to come from it. Kind of like the early footage of oot the mother 3 locations are just test locations.
Yeah, I think our only hope is the Mother 3 spaceworld demo. I don't think the "full" game ever had an enough realized version to be playable

basic_text

Oct 27, 2017
Derby, UK
Man, I'm so nostalgic for this. Seeing Conker 64 in magazine back then.

Conker fact - if you drive anywhere near where Rare is actually situated (in Twycross, UK), you'll see roadsigns for Conkers adventure park (an outdoor adventure playground thing for families).

Always wondered if it was coincidence. It's literally 10 miles away from Rare's front door.

Our-Visit-to-Conkers.jpg
There's a Conkers in Swad too!

Oct 31, 2017
Most of Star Fox's games haven't been done in-house anyway, even Star Fox Zero was partially outsourced to Platinum. I think the main thing that would make Nintendo consider a remake/reimagining over a remaster is mainly the contentious quality of the original game (aside from the visuals, which were amongst the Gamecube's best) and the difficulty of securing the original code and assets.

A reimagining would indeed make sense as well. It's either that or a spiritual successor for me.

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Does this require the expansion pack? It looks quite good for an n64 game.

I don't think the game was far enough along for anything more to come from it. Kind of like the early footage of oot the mother 3 locations are just test locations.
This looks incredible for a Nintendo 64 title.

I haven't actually watched videos of this yet but does it actually look better than Banjo-Tooie? That game is unreal, I made this thread: https://www.resetera.com/threads/is...ve-well-textured-game-of-the-n64-picz.317473/

Nbz

Oct 26, 2017
UK
So I'm using Project 64 and it is giving me a fatal error and crashing upon trying to just load a save file. Should I be using a different emulator?

Alvis

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Soooo do we know by now if the game can be beaten? When does it stop?

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There was a 20-hour stream of some people getting pretty far and basically seeing most of the areas, but the game is ridiculously unfinished. They had to do a ton of out-of-bounds glitches to get to some of the areas and most sequences are completely broken. The game tends to crash randomly in some areas pretty much constantly. Brute forcing with save states through some of those is the only option and even then it can take hours.

I wouldn't get my hopes up of seeing any concrete ending for this because the game is barely playable past a certain point early on. Still really cool that it is playable at all but this was never going to be ready for the N64. The game needed probably another year of full development. This is seemingly a pretty late build of the game too and yet it still needs so much work.

The most stable areas were the ones that were shown off at E3. So the beginning of the game.

the_bromo_tachi

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Japan
Atm, no. People are theorizing that you have to turn on certain in game flags, progress sequentially, to move on without crashes. People are currently scripting to enable cheats. With cheats on, you can get tricky's fire breath, get the cogwheel, and get to the mine dungeon. Someone did make it to the galdon boss but the cutscene didn't trigger.

There's a discord where people are sharing findings and gameshark codes so I suggest it if you want to get the latest news.

Alvis

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Atm, no. People are theorizing that you have to turn on certain in game flags, progress sequentially, to move on without crashes. People are currently scripting to enable cheats. With cheats on, you can get tricky's fire breath, get the cogwheel, and get to the mine dungeon. Someone did make it to the galdon boss but the cutscene didn't trigger.

There's a discord where people are sharing findings and gameshark codes so I suggest it if you want to get the latest news.
Could you link me to that discord? Sounds interesting

Oct 18, 2020
Absolutely crazy ! I still remember playing SF:Adventures on the Nintendo Gamecube and wondering
how it even came about only to learn some years later that this existed in some form somewhere out
there in the world.

And now it's been released ! Way cool ! Now I need to get my hands on an N64 and an ever drive.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
There was a 20-hour stream of some people getting pretty far and basically seeing most of the areas, but the game is ridiculously unfinished. They had to do a ton of out-of-bounds glitches to get to some of the areas and most sequences are completely broken. The game tends to crash randomly in some areas pretty much constantly. Brute forcing with save states through some of those is the only option and even then it can take hours.

I wouldn't get my hopes up of seeing any concrete ending for this because the game is barely playable past a certain point early on. Still really cool that it is playable at all but this was never going to be ready for the N64. The game needed probably another year of full development. This is seemingly a pretty late build of the game too and yet it still needs so much work.

The most stable areas were the ones that were shown off at E3. So the beginning of the game.

That is debatable at the moment, buggy sure, but unfinished maybe not, a lot of content that people are claiming is missing could just be the flags to load them in are not working properly, we will see with datamining.

Veldin

Oct 25, 2017
I'm very hopeful that fans will get this into a more playable state. At the very least I'd love to see a compilation of all the cutscenes in the game so we can see the original story.

Haven't been able to think of much else since this dropped. It's still wild to think this build has been sitting around somewhere for over two decades.

Lynd

Oct 29, 2017
I got up to Cape Claw, saved the Dino and found a log you can push off a cliff and the ride. Found two golden nuggets, was hoping the guard that was after something shiny took it, but didnt work.

Game crashed when going into an opening in the cliffside while riding the log.

Seems theres not much you can do once switching back to Krystal. There was a timed running section in the area too, but its pointless as only that first part seems to trigger.

I guess this is as far as i can go on a real 64.

daTRUballin

Oct 25, 2017
Portland, Oregon
I can't believe we're in a thread where people are asking for gameplay tips in Dinosaur Planet

It's like we've traveled back in time to an alternate version of the year 2000 or something

Just a heads up, but I think in order for the poster to get a notification, I think you have to type @ and then their username. I didn't get any notifications when VDenter posted my name.

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
It's like we've traveled back in time to an alternate version of the year 2000 or something

Just a heads up, but I think in order for the poster to get a notification, I think you have to type @ and then their username. I didn't get any notifications when VDenter posted my name.
Strange, I think that is what I typed. I think when you type @ and the name, it shows up linked a that means it worked. Testing: daTRUballin let me know if this notified you.

daTRUballin

Oct 25, 2017
Portland, Oregon

chalkitdown

Oct 26, 2017
This channel already did it:

Biggest takeaway from this video is how they ruined a lot of the animations and cut-scenes in the Xbox remake. Conker is way more expressive on the N64 and the angles used in the cut-scenes are more varied and dynamic. Even the N64 throne room looks better with the atmospheric lighting going on.

Oct 25, 2017
New York City

Oh wow, this is incredible...

As someone who's never played Starfox Adventures, Dinosaur Planet looks like a really good Zelda-like N64 game that I would have probably been soooo into, and Starfox Adventures looks rather boring. I have no idea what it is about the footage that's making me feel that way, but I'm now incredibly sad we didn't get the game as intended on N64.

(That said, SFA still has really nice graphics in some spots, but something about the the way it looks just doesn't appeal to me. I'll have to think it over...)

Dr. Feel Good

Oct 25, 2017
While it's super impressive visually on the N64, I really don't think there's much you could do to save the game regardless of Dinosaur Planet vs. Star Fox Adventures. The game was a just a very generic Zelda title. Doesn't make it worthless, but it kind of sits in the same realm as Sphinx and the Cursed Mummy.

MrSaturn99

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I live in a giant bucket.
Kevin Bayliss, one of the lead artists on Dinosaur Planet/Star Fox Adventures, wrote for VideoGamesChronicle to reflect on the game as well as share some never-before-shared development details. You'll never guess who the original protagonist was!

The main character was originally going to be – believe it or not – Timber, the cute tiger from Diddy Kong Racing. That's because he was intended to be the star of the previous year's racing game, when it was originally known as R.C. Pro-Am 64.

However, due to a last-minute rebrand which saw Diddy take pole position as the main character, Timber had to accept second place and never really made the leading role. I wasn't too disappointed about this, to be honest, because luckily Diddy was also my character design too. In fact, I was quite excited to have a game coming out which was pretty much named after him as the main man!

In Dinosaur Planet, Timber was going to be a 'time-travelling tiger' with a rucksack, little fingerless gloves, a baseball cap and a small dinosaur for a sidekick.

Actually, I even tried out Timber in a project prior to DKR, where he walked around on all fours like a real tiger cub. It was an early 3D platforming test and I wanted him to use his claws to scale walls. But this project was abandoned and so he was moved into DKR and that's as far as his career went!