• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
I'm always blown away by Rare's work on the N64. (Not to mention how they ported this to the Gamecube in around a year and turned it into one of the best looking games of THAT entire generation as well, all while boosting the framerate to 60.) They truly were the tech gods of the late 90s/ early 00s!
Agreed. This build looks great for N64. And my word, I remember being blown away by SFA on GC. Seeing water for the first time (e.g. river) - it looked stunning.

Rolodzeo

Nov 10, 2017
Spain, EU
seal.gif

Aldo

Mar 19, 2019
Wait what?! It's amazing what people are finding now. Truly the best time to be a retro gamer. What's left, Mother 3 and DNF 2001?

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Its this thing:

latest

starfox.fandom.com

Brain Squid

Brain Squid are enemies found in Star Fox Adventures, native only to Krazoa Palace, the Ocean Force Point Temple and within some Krazoa Shrines on the Dinosaur Planet. Hence their name, these gleaming creatures are floating squid like brains that hover around, only harming Fox and Krystal if...

Ooooook its been a long time.

dragonbane

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Yeah this is the good shit. My friend who did some restoration work on it told me it should be the real DP just with a Sabre reskin to Fox. But it's still before they gutted DP entirely and turned it into SFA.

alr1ght

Oct 25, 2017
Some private game collector was just sitting on it this all these years...

So many games have been saved from the hoarders by generous people in the preservation community.

Run Goku

Oct 25, 2017
This is really exciting. It gives me hope that Conker Twelve Tales might still be out there.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
I'm getting around 15-20 fps with it, maybe I need to touch something to get good performance? My pc is ok, but usually I can play any N64 game fine
That's just how the game would run on a real N64. It's accurate-ish emulation. The emulator isn't lagging, the game is, just as it would on the real console.

sox

Oct 27, 2017
I have an old demo disc that has a video of the n64 version of Dinosaur Planet on it. It was clearly quite far along and was surprising they ditched it and shifted development to the GameCube.
Has anyone tried this on their actual N64 yet? I'm assuming the frame rate will be awful based on Rare's trajectory over the console's lifecycle.

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Times like these make me glad to own an Everdrive and a real N64.

Now I have to pull the damn thing out of storage lol

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah this is the good shit. My friend who did some restoration work on it told me it should be the real DP just with a Sabre reskin to Fox. But it's still before they gutted DP entirely and turned it into SFA.
So it shouldn't be too hard down the line for someone to make a hack to replace Fox by Sabre, and we'd have something pretty close to what DP should have been.
Can't wait

logan_cadfgs

Oct 28, 2017
Uh yeah. Def firing this up on the Everdrive after work today. Absolutely need to see this running on a real console.

Loving all the huge releases lately. Thankful that this has been preserved, upset that it took so long to see. Private collectors — can't live with 'em, can't live without 'em. 💰

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Oh cool! I saw this and N64 Conker at ECTS in London back then. Happy to see it out there.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Couldn't find my original N64 expansion pack, so I had to resort to using Muppen64. Played for about an hour and got past WarlockMountain and Snohwhorn? Well, I got to Thorntail by accident randomly with no clue as to where to go next? The build is pretty buggy there and I ran into a few invisible walls and jump down a waterfall and then finally the game crashed. Will continue later on.

Overall so far this was incredibly fascinating and I had no idea there even existed a Dinosaur Planet build with a Fox character model and some dialogue recording. The story seems far more interesting here than what we eventually got in Star Fox Adventures. I get the impression that far more for this universe was planned before getting eventually scrapped. Seems like it could have been a franchise.

Really like the dual character concept and wish it was kept instead of relegating Krystal to being stuck inside a... crystal, for the entire game like in Adventures.

qaopjlll

Oct 27, 2017
I think there's a good reason for that (the game wasn't very good and then Rare went to MS).

Can't see Nintendo so desperate to make a sequel to a bad game that they'd go and get a new developer for it.
On the contrary, it sold really well and most people who played it agree that it's a good game. Give us SFA2 Ninty! Let Retro develop after they finish MP4 in 2030!

Aug 15, 2020
This is a very cool release!

The fuck is up with 2021 and cancelled games?!

Complete conjecture here, but I wonder if it's some mixture of private collectors necessitating/being more willing to part with items of theirs along with a commensurate increase in price like other collectable/second hand markets due to Covid.