• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2019
Covid 19 could have messed up plans and a refresh isn't the worst option to release if it delivers a performance bump and keeps AMD competitive while making profit.

The existing 3000 range is brilliant, and if the XT refresh is a decent bump at a good price you're getting great value pretty much no matter what you buy this year. Same goes for Intel to an extent with some of their line up. If you want to build for Cyberpunk and get a good 1-2 years beyond that you are in a good spot if you buy smart.

I could just be biased though, considering I jumped on the 3900x in the first week of release as a treat to myself and have been blown away at how good it is and will be for a while yet.

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
Now I'm wondering what to do. I have a 2600, maybe I'll bite on the 3900xt.

It might well be that the XT models won't be worh their increased cost. Of course, for now the prices are merely rumors, but if these are even remotely accurate then it's probably better to go with the non-XT models for the foreseeable future.

The recent CPU batches seem to be significantly better binned on average and when you apply manual OC, a 3600 might perform just as well as a 3600XT.
Of course, best to wait for actual benchmarks and all.

Feb 1, 2018
Guess I'll just get a 3700x now, coming from a 2600.

It's gonna be until at least spring/summer 2021 that my b450 itx will even get a bios update for 4000 series anyway

JudgmentJay

Nov 14, 2017
Texas
How about a 8700k? 60fps is my goal for next gen

It's hard to say how processors with 6 cores will fare. A high overclocked 8700k is still pretty strong though and I'd wager it'll play most next gen games at 60 FPS. At least for another 2-3 years. I don't think it would last the entire generation if that's what you're asking. What you play is also a big factor. If you're into huge open world games then core count matters more.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
I've been very, very happy with my 3900x I bought at launch. My plan was always to upgrade to a 4950x sometime in 2022-2023 to hold me over through the rest of the generation - this doesn't change anything for me.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
Makes sense. They're likely launching their XT CPUs in a few weeks, and this helps them get out of the ridiculously crowded 2nd half of this year. I mean, we're still theoretically going to have two new consoles, and two new lines of enthusiast level GPUs, so a lot of people are going to be broke.

Glad I went ahead and pulled the trigger on a 3900X last week lol. I'll be more than fine with it until next year. I also got an x570 motherboard, so I can upgrade to the 4000 series if I want down the line.

AMD is getting cocky

I dunno, many of Intel's new chips still don't really seem to beat their AMD counterparts that were released nearly a year ago now (except by a few FPS in some games), and they tend to cost more. Add to that the fact that AMD has a refresh coming up with their XT CPUs and there's really no point in them cannibalizing their own sales by releasing the 4000 series a couple months later.

I don't necessarily like that they're suddenly doing a little of what Intel did for so long, but it makes perfect sense to me why they would.

Last edited:

Rutti

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I just hope we get official confirmation or denying asap. Ever since I read this I have been itching to buy zen 2 cpu.

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I suspect my 6600K won't do great with games out this year. It's below the recommended for Kena.
Getting a 3070 for lots of money and having games still run kind of assy for another four months or whatever would not feel fantastic.
The 4.0 situation with Intel seems flaky.
Getting a 3600 in the meantime seems like the least unideal option. Perhaps it'd even make sense to "settle" for a 3700X.

There's apparently a chance this will all turn out to be false, so let's hope for that.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I suspect my 6600K won't do great with games out this year. It's below the recommended for Kena.
Getting a 3070 for lots of money and having games still run kind of assy for another four months or whatever would not feel fantastic.
The 4.0 situation with Intel seems flaky.
Getting a 3600 in the meantime seems like the least unideal option. Perhaps it'd even make sense to "settle" for a 3700X.

There's apparently a chance this will all turn out to be false, so let's hope for that.

Could go with a stop gap 3300x if you're worried about Kena.

RoboitoAM

Oct 25, 2017
My i5 3570k can survive a little longer lol

That's fine actually, because it gives me a chance to see how next gen systems and PC hardware perform on the multi platform titles.

A shame though, I was fully ready.

Cup O' Tea?

Nov 2, 2017
Were peple really expecting them this year? When I heard about the XT series coming out in 2020, I just assumed the 4000 series had been pushed back to 2021.

Lockjaw333

Oct 28, 2017
Now i can feel comfortable with my 3900x. :) Upgrade my gpu this year and upgrade the 3900x next year! Awesome news honestly!
Why would you need to upgrade the 3900x at all so soon? You should be good for years honestly, unless you have some crazy workflow going that will max out those 12 cores.

As for the delay, it seems logical to me. Zen 2 is still competing just fine with Intel 10th gen, and the xt release will close the gap a bit by gaining a few percent in games where Intel has better performance. No need to rush zen 3 out this year.

Nov 8, 2017
I doubt you wil see much or at all performance gains for gaming with a gen 3 chip.

By "gen 3" do you mean Ryzen 3000, or Ryzen 4000 (Zen 3)?

Going from Zen+ to Zen 2 is already a notable uplift in gaming performance. If Ryzen 4000 (Zen 3) ends up being another 10% better, say, which isn't farfetched, that would be fairly worthwhile for high refresh gaming now (higher minimum frametimes / more consistent experience), and to give you more performance overhead and longevity going into the new generation of console games which assuredly will need more power for a given performance level.

MrBenchmark

Dec 8, 2017
Doesn't bother me at all I got a 3700X for $270 and can ride out the upgrade bug as this has been a great cpu.

Cup O' Tea?

Nov 2, 2017
They were definitely slated for 2020, September-October
Yeah I know but I figured it would be a bit weird for them to release a refresh of the 3000 series in July, then release a totally new 4000 series only months later in Sept/Oct. I'm actually surprised we are getting 4000 series so early in 2021. I assumed it would be July 2021.

Qudi

Jul 26, 2018
By "gen 3" do you mean Ryzen 3000, or Ryzen 4000 (Zen 3)?

Going from Zen+ to Zen 2 is already a notable uplift in gaming performance. If Ryzen 4000 (Zen 3) ends up being another 10% better, say, which isn't farfetched, that would be fairly worthwhile for high refresh gaming now (higher minimum frametimes / more consistent experience), and to give you more performance overhead and longevity going into the new generation of console games which assuredly will need more power for a given performance level.
Sry confusing naming and all. Meant the 3000 series.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
I just wish AMD could shake up the GPU market in the same way.

Current-gen RDNA chips are already better than we expected, and AMD are claiming an impressive 50% PPW uplift for RDNA2. Now, maybe a good part of that will be due to them using HBM2/HBM3 as speculated - but still. There's serious potential.

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
Okay thanks. What GPU would you recommend, a 2080 Ti or wait for 3000 series? I already have a standard 2070.

I'd highly reccomend waiting for the RTX 3000 series. If you can afford a Ryzen 3700X with an RTX 2080ti, you can probably get a 3080 ti when it releases, and it should be the closest thing to a 4k 120hz videocard on the market. Alternately, you could save some money and get a 3080 (with likely 2080 ti performance), or a 3070 (with likely 2080 super beating performance). The 300 series is rumored to have significantly better Ray Tracing performance as well.

As others have said, a Ryzen 3700X is more than enough to get 60FPS on future PC games, you don't have to wait on that if the Ryzen 4000 series delays are true. I'd say, build your Ryzen 3700X PC now, and use your 2070 until a beatly new card comes out at a price and performance profile that makes sense to you. You could always put any extra money into a new 4K monitor or 4K 144hz monitor.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
Current-gen RDNA chips are already better than we expected, and AMD are claiming an impressive 50% PPW uplift for RDNA2. Now, maybe a good part of that will be due to them using HBM2/HBM3 as speculated - but still. There's serious potential.
I hope they arent using hbm memory. Radeon 7 was not great. Plus didn't hbm drive the cost up.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
I hope they arent using hbm memory. Radeon 7 was not great. Plus didn't hbm drive the cost up.

Radeon VII had issues that weren't related to HBM, and apparently, when overclocking actually worked (and drivers didn't shit themselves) you had quite a bit of headroom you could take advantage of.

HBM itself as technology is inherently good. If the cost/performance benefit is good enough, I'd prefer that we had it.

OP
OP
ILikeFeet

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
and here I though we wanted cheaper cards

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
Super happy with my 3600, even undervolted it a bit, still keep the same clock speeds around 4.2, and actually drop 5-10c during load.

Pipyakas

Jul 20, 2018
Navi was waited on forever and they released 4 cards that are not beating the expensive RTX cards much, and didnt even beat the old 570/580 in the case of the 5500. Their impact is significantly less that what Ryzen did on the CPU side

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Intel is down but they are far from out...the fact that they can still lead in single core workloads even on 14nm refreshes says that once 10nm chips come out in 2021 AMD might be in trouble...even Rocket Lake-S is said to be a new architecture and the Zen 3 delay might be AMD admitting they are a bit scared

Oct 25, 2017
Zen 3 not coming out until after CES 2021 is not convenient for me at all. It would only be worth it if the 5nm rumor that Digitimes also reported on turned out to be true, but AMD just reconfirmed 7nm in response to that same report.

So...

fuck.

Oct 27, 2017
ATL
My 3900x is fantastic so far. I doubt Zen 3 will suddenly invalidate my CPU. It stinks for people waiting on Ryzen 4000 to upgrade, but realize that Zen 4 will require a new socket, so you would be buying into an outgoing platform to get the CPU regardless.

On the speculation of Zen 3 somehow switching to 5nm, I highly doubt that would happen. Porting a micro-architecture to a new node just for a few percent gain in performance isn't trivial. If they already planned Zen 4 around 5nm it doesn't make since to change things up now.

Radec

Oct 26, 2017
I just need a new ITX motherboard for my 2700X. I'm still using a B450 and need another slot for m.2, better wifi and usb-c.

Carbon

Deploying the stealth Cruise Missile
Oct 27, 2017
Zen 3 not coming out until after CES 2021 is not convenient for me at all. It would only be worth it if the 5nm rumor that Digitimes also reported on turned out to be true, but AMD just reconfirmed 7nm in response to that same report.

So...

fuck.
That 5nm rumor always felt like wishful thinking for a 2020-2021 release. That probably won't happen until late Zen 3 refreshes or Zen 4. Unless Intel cracks the code to their troubled 10nm process and starts spanking AMD on all fronts again, AMD can ride 7nm(+) for at least a year or two more.

I was kinda hoping for Zen 3 in the fall myself, but I'm sure the pandemic and the recession aren't giving AMD a lot of confidence. It's probably in their best interest to wait things out a bit and hope the economy recovers before releasing their next big thing. In the mean time I'll probably settle for an XT model this fall, I'm getting desperate to upgrade from my 1700x.

Simuly

Alt-Account
Banned
Jul 8, 2019
Two things:

- Matisse refresh is launching next month - Ryzen 3600XT, 3800XT and 3900XT, with 200-300Mhz increase in base clock and hopefully more than 100mhz added to boost.
- The refresh doesn't effect Ryzen 4000, and this rumoured seems a bit spurious to me

Tinman

Nov 1, 2017
Well this is less than ideal.
I'll still wait though.
I'll grumble to myself and wait.
I'll watch the new console's launch and people play Cyberpunk and I'll whisper "sooooon" from the shadows.