• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bosch

Banned
May 15, 2019
A 3700X will double the PS5/XBSX 30fps framerates even though they themselves have 8 core / 16 thread CPU's clocked at 3.5GHz? That doesn't sound right at all.

I'm in the process of trying to build a PC that will offer next gen games at 60 but a lot of people are saying to wait.
I will be honest with you. If u gonna wait to get a cpu next year it will be a bad move. 2022 everything will change on pc arch. We gonna have pci-e 5.0, ddr5.

With amd pushing series 4000 to 2021 the best move is to grab a 3700-3800 and wait until 2022 for a complete overhaul.

Tinman

Nov 1, 2017
I will be honest with you. If u gonna wait to get a cpu next year it will be a bad move. 2022 everything will change on pc arch. We gonna have pci-e 5.0, ddr5.

With amd pushing series 4000 to 2021 the best move is to grab a 3700-3800 and wait until 2022 for a complete overhaul.

Really? Would a Zen3 4000 and a GTX 3000 not be enough for games designed with the consoles as a base line?

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Thanks for the advice. Is it worth the extra cash to get a 3800 over a 3700?

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
If it does get delayed it makes sense, considering their factories were first to close come the initial COVID outbreak. Not sure why people would think it's AMD being cocky in the current climate, if it turns out true.

Also love the people on 3600's fretting that their CPU would be outdated. You are fine, it's a beast of a CPU and won't need upgrading for some time.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Why would you need to upgrade the 3900x at all so soon? You should be good for years honestly, unless you have some crazy workflow going that will max out those 12 cores.

As for the delay, it seems logical to me. Zen 2 is still competing just fine with Intel 10th gen, and the xt release will close the gap a bit by gaining a few percent in games where Intel has better performance. No need to rush zen 3 out this year.
More of a want than a need i have the upgrade itch at the moment. If the 4000 series really is as big of an IPC improvement i'm seriously considering whatever is the 3900x equivalent. Hoping this will last me until next generation.

Vimto

Oct 29, 2017

If you get dragged in this cycle then you wil constantly waiting for the next big thing.

Waiting few months for Ampere is reasonable, thinking about what could release in 2022 right now is ridiculous.

Last edited:

Vimto

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah, that's pretty much what I thought myself. No way would they have come out to repeatedly say these past 40 days that it's launching this year (including to investors) only for them to change last minute and 180.
While its true they stated multiple times Zen3 is coning this year, they didn't specify Ryzen 4000. Could be the Epyc cpus for all we know.

Tallshortman

Oct 29, 2017
A 3700X will double the PS5/XBSX 30fps framerates even though they themselves have 8 core / 16 thread CPU's clocked at 3.5GHz? That doesn't sound right at all.

I'm in the process of trying to build a PC that will offer next gen games at 60 but a lot of people are saying to wait.

The IPC gains from jaguar to zen 3 are enormous. That said, a 3700X is not going to be the bottleneck in any system until you get to a 2080 Ti. That is except for a few CPU straining titles.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
3700x bottleneck a 2080 ti? So it will bottleneck a 3070(~2080 ti perf) ?
Even with ultra settings at 2160p in a demanding game like Metro Exodus.
exodus4k-pajhb.jpg

Note that the 3900X with its 4x 3-core CCX layout performs worse here than the 3700X with its 2x 4-core CCX layout.
This is why I have doubts about the 6-core 3600 (2x 3-core CCXes) being equivalent to next-gen consoles even if it clocks higher—though it should be fine for early/cross-gen games.

The main change with Zen 3 is that it's said to double the number of cores per CCX; requiring fewer of them.
I'm hopeful this will help to close the gap between AMD and Intel in real-time tasks/games; but I'll probably be buying Intel next anyway if AMD don't relent and support Zen 3 on 300-series boards.

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
the cynic in me thinks that AMD is floating the Zen 3 delay rumors out there in order to get people to buy current Zen 2 and the upcoming XT CPU's...if people think that Zen 3 is coming in 3 months then they would be less likely to buy now

Bosch

Banned
May 15, 2019
Even with ultra settings at 2160p in a demanding game like Metro Exodus.
exodus4k-pajhb.jpg

Note that the 3900X with its 4x 3-core CCX layout performs worse here than the 3700X with its 2x 4-core CCX layout.
This is why I have doubts about the 6-core 3600 (2x 3-core CCXes) being equivalent to next-gen consoles even if it clocks higher—though it should be fine for early/cross-gen games.

The main change with Zen 3 is that it's said to double the number of cores per CCX; requiring fewer of them.
I'm hopeful this will help to close the gap between AMD and Intel in real-time tasks/games; but I'll probably be buying Intel next anyway if AMD don't relent and support Zen 3 on 300-series boards.
Holy shit I didn't know ryzen 3000 series was so bad like that on 4k... The diff for 10900k is insane.

Nov 8, 2017
Holy shit I didn't know ryzen 3000 series was so bad like that on 4k... The diff for 10900k is insane.

It's not... on average. That scene in Metro Exodus is brutal (particularly on specific zen CPUs). But the problem is that it's very difficult to make repeatable benchmarks indicative of true gameplay experiences, and without going to a lot of effort it can be difficult to determine where a good stress point for CPUs might be. This is not an indictment of Ryzen, because we don't really know if the experience is actually always fantastic except for 1 or 2 stress points in one game. But we also don't really know if issues like that are more widespread, and I haven't seen any good proposal to make CPU benchmarking more true-to-life while not suffering from massive run-to-run variance. I do generally agree with something Richard from DF said in CPU reviews, which is basically that it's not the high average frametimes you notice most of the time, it's the momentary lurches and freezes that bother you.

I don't know if it's my CPU or some other goofy component in my system, or some odd compatibility or driver issue, but on my Zen+ CPU I get a lot of frustrating microstutters and frametime variance in a large number of games. None of this showed up in CPU reviews, really, which gave the impression of a lower, but still very good experience on my Ryzen 2700. That hasn't been what I've felt owning it. But without spending a week troubleshooting every possible thing, I just don't know. Even using Nvid control panel or RTSS to limit frametimes (and I'm also running G-sync), I still can't get fully smooth experiences in some games, even when I cap at e.g. 80fps when my average is 133 or whatever.

Last edited:

Loveless

Oct 27, 2017
Wow so glad I got a 3600 a month ago, I was beating myself up because I found out the 4000 series was gonna come out in a few month lol.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
Darn waiting for the 4000 series to upgrade. It'll be the first desktop AMD processor setup I'll have had in close to two decades.

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
early rumors had Base clocks being a bit higher on the XT chips but they're the exact same as their X counterparts...the new CPU's have only a 100MHz increase in Boost clocks...I don't see the point unless there's something else I'm missing...a 3600XT with a Base clock of 4.0 would have been the bee's knees

Cookie

Oct 26, 2017
My motherboard doesn't have an upgrade path for Ryzen 4000. Is it worth upgrading to a 3700x from my 2600 or should I wait until 5000 series when I have to upgrade the motherboard too? I play at 60FPS, 4K when possible and have a 2060 Super.

Deleted member 420

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My motherboard doesn't have an upgrade path for Ryzen 4000. Is it worth upgrading to a 3700x from my 2600 or should I wait until 5000 series when I have to upgrade the motherboard too? I play at 60FPS and have a 2060 Super.
I think you can wait. Your CPU should be good for 60fps for a while

Metalmucil

Aug 17, 2019
Arrrrgh! I am in dire need of a new build that can run next gen stuff. I was planning on NVIDIA 30xx and Ryzen 4xxx, not I gotta put that off. This sucks.

Deleted member 14568

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
that's 2 ''rumor'' that digitime posted that are complete bull first the 5nm zen 3 and then this they need better ''source''

Last edited:

eddy

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone found an actual AMD quote on this? I checked some of the articles posted but couldn't find an actual quote.

Example:
The news comes from AMD's Robert Hallcock, Senior Technical Marketing Manager, who during a conference call today, confirmed the Zen 3 CPUs will indeed still land in 2020 and are not delayed.
and
"AMD confirms that the rumor on 'Zen 3' delay is inaccurate," an AMD spokeswoman said in a statement Wednesday morning.

Cool, but that was not the rumor. The rumor was specifically that Zen 3 Ryzen 4000 desktop CPUs wouldn't launch this year.

Just trying to figure out if they're actually trying to wriggle out of this, or if the reporting is just bad.

Last edited: