• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

PS9

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
$399 Digital Edition coming in hot?

Sony's new-generation PS5 game console shipments are estimated to reach at least 120 million units in the next five years after launch in fourth-quarter 2020, roughly double those for Microsoft's Xbox series X, according to sources of its backend supply chain in Taiwan.

The life cycle for household game consoles may be shortened to five years from 6-7 years, and PS5 shipments may challenge 120-170 million units when its 5-year cycle expires, compared to 110 million units registered to date for PS4 launched in November 2013, the sources said, adding that Sony has recently boosted its PS5 shipment estimate for 2020 to near 10 million units.

AMD-designed processors for the device fabricated by TSMC on its 7nm node and packaged by ASE Technology and Siliconeware Precision Industries (SPIL) with its FCBGA process are already being delivered to Sony, and shipments of peripheral chipsets are expected to peak later in the third quarter to support first wave of terminal sales in the fourth quarter, the sources continued.

Taiwan's chipmaker ZillTek Technology and China's AAC Technologies now share Sony's orders for handle controller chips for PS5, and another two Taiwanese IC designers Nuvoton Technology and Genesys Logic are supplying MCUs and USB hub controllers, respectively, for the device, with Greatek Electronics as their backend partner. Meanwhile, Phison Electronics reportedly has also cut into PS5 supply chain with its SSD controller chips packaged by Taiwan's OSE, the sources added.

www.digitimes.com

PS5 shipments may reach at least 120 million units in next 5 years

Sony's new-generation PS5 game console shipments are estimated to reach at least 120 million units in the next five years after launch in fourth-quarter 2020, roughly double those for Microsoft's Xbox series X, according to sources of its backend supply chain in Taiwan.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
So averaging 24m per year ? Do they even know what they are talking about ? PS4 peak years didn't reach these heights and the console launched cheaper.

Nostradamus

Oct 28, 2017
I'd say that both numbers are quite ambitious. They are essentially predicting an expansion of the "hardcore" market.

Azaan60

Mar 18, 2020
Damn they must be extremely confident.

It's been 7 years and the PS4 hasn't even hit that mark yet. It's sold 110 million units.

Selling 120 million in 5 years is a herculean task. Let's see if they pull it off.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
This isn't targeted sales, its targeted production of consoles isn't it?

Ivanovic

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah don't know why anyone thought it would be very expensive. All 3 companies now make more money from services than the hardware itself so getting it into the hands of consumers as quickly as possible is key.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
How is that feasible?

- Release the console at a reasonable price: $399-449.
- Give people reasons to remain in your ecosystem: PS4 BC, nice upgrades.
- Offer an unprecedented exclusive/first-party lineup in the first year.

Mikch85

May 12, 2018
Pretty sure I've heard this life cycle shortened thing at the beginning of the PS4/Xbox One era... Anyway, that seems super optimistic, PS4 is at 110M after 7 years.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't like the part about the generation only lasting 5 years.

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's a nice goal to shoot for.

I wish them luck. I don't believe that this is possible but maybe there's a reason why they're hoping to achieve these numbers.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Near zero chance of 120m in 5 years imo, it'll definitely outsell the series x but I don't even think they'll hit 100 million. I think we're going to have a ps3 sales like generation. It'll be slow and long

I'd bet anything that 170 million would never happen, 120 fine maybe with a perfect console but 170 lol

Last edited:

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if they got some kind of plan. This seems way too big of a number if the price is as expansive as thought to be.

That's the thing though, that high price stuff is just people speculating.

And Jim Ryan said from the beginning that they had a plan to transition people faster to PS5. Wonder what they have up their sleeve.

$399 would be a great start.

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
according to sources of its backend supply chain in Taiwan.
Yeah, that's a production estimation based on how many they can ship. Not sell.

Assuming they sell every one produced the second it lands on a shelf over five years that's how you get to 120 million.

Mr Swine

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
How is that feasible?

- Release the console at a reasonable price: $399-449.
- Give people reasons to remain in your ecosystem: PS4 BC, nice upgrades.
- Offer an unprecedented exclusive/first-party lineup in the first year.

- Buy Nintendo and release all of their games on PS5

no way will Sony reach 120m in 5 years. Only way is insane moneyhatting

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
It's production estimation, not sales right ?

Anyway 2 PS5 for one XSX is also the ratio I predict next gen.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
They must be tripping, 24 million consoles every year ESPECIALLY when there's COVID is nonsense.

AfropunkNyc

Nov 15, 2017
They gotta hit wii success to do that. The ps4 didnt even get to that level of success. Its not happening.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
I don't think the PS5 will cost 400$ at retail. It will be 450-500$. However I could see Sony adapting Xbox All access, which in essence is smartphone price model. You pay a monthly fee, get the console for free and access to Gold/GP.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
lol. It's an impossible figure, does anyone really expect PS5 to sell significantly faster and better than the DS did? Forget $399, they'd have to be targeting $99.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Sony isn't making ps5 DE 399. They won't be taking 110$ loss on ps5 DE imo. This is a very NAND heavy machine

Would take my L if I m wrong haha

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
Don't see the PS5 reaching those numbers in that timeframe but a $399 PS5 definitely is coming

daybreak

Feb 28, 2018
No fucking way. Like, there is a zero percent chance of this happening. This is so outrageously far out of the ballpark its in the dump behind the parking lot.

Oct 25, 2017
Ehhhh we'll see. I have a tendency to reset my faith in Sony at the start of every gen. They've wowed me with their launch stuff but we'll see how the first year shakes out. I'm afraid of a strong start, second year drought.

Xevross

Oct 28, 2017
60M in 5 years for Series X is the most unrealistic part of this. Anyways, if this is true then this is seriously ambitious from Sony and points to them being very aggressive. PS4 was at 94.2M shipped at a similar time frame (just over 5 years) so this would be a ~30% increase over PS4, yeah that's optimistic. I guess we'll see, anything better than the already fantastic PS4 sales would be great for PS5.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Isn't the thread title misleading?

The article mentions approximate shipments, not sales.

FelipeMGM

#Skate4
Oct 25, 2017
hmm, that sounds insane

and that little margin of 50M give or take is even crazier lol

Not sure I believe this one