• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

spookyghost

Oct 28, 2017
So there's no point in an NVME drive really? Not only does it not provide extra grunt with unoptimised games but optimised games can't be run off of it anyway?

Bedameister

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Thank you. I am still a little confused over what benefits non-patched games can get from Series X lol.
Faster loading times
Auto-HDR for games that didn't have HDR before
Higher framerate if they ran at unlocked framerates or if they didn't hit their framerate target they will probably now
Games with variable resolutions will hit higher resolutions more often

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
Guess I am trying to figure out, what was the limiting factor, the QVO read/write being smaller than the NVMe or the SATA to USB interface? For the NVMe having almost twice the write speed as the QVO, shouldn't it have copied faster?

Edit: I mean the NVMe did complete the job 6 minutes faster, so that does match up actually.
NVME is faster basically. However it's still trying to get through the same 5gps interface so copying back read speeds will be similar(ish).

you have a link to this? Last I heard they both are 10Gbs

For Xbox? First link off google:

https://vg247.com/2020/10/07/ps5-wi-fi-6-usb-c-superspeed-details/#:~:text=Likewise%2C%20Xbox%20Series%20X%2FS,default%205Gbit%2Fs%20data%20rate

" By comparison, Xbox Series X/S only has a Wi-Fi 5 chip, which is the older, current-gen model. Likewise, Xbox Series X/S consoles don't come with USB-C, and their USB-A ports all run at the default 5Gbit/s data rate. "

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
Wait for for my Xbox One and PS4 games to run optimally on PS5 and XSX, I'll need to use an external SSD?

No, it's just that there are speed improvements even on relatively "slower" external drives, which is an easy way to save full-speed space on the fancy internal drive for next-gen games. The video's worth watching, if you're thinking about storage space options for the new systems.

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The Xbox consoles support more than one external USB device, unlike PlayStation, right? I might go with a second drive down the line then.

Oct 29, 2017
Faster loading times
Auto-HDR for games that didn't have HDR before
Higher framerate if they ran at unlocked framerates or if they didn't hit their framerate target they will probably now
Games with variable resolutions will hit higher resolutions more often

Yeah, Rich's previous video went into a ton of detail on this with a bunch of Xbox One games tested.

youtu.be

Xbox Series X Backwards Compatibility Tested - And The Performance Is Extreme

The analysis you've been waiting for! Rich goes hands-on with Xbox Series X and puts its backwards compatibility capabilities to the most extreme tests possi...

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
Thank you. So as I understand it - tell me if I'm wrong - unpatched Xbox One games can see some benefits from the Series X like auto-HDR, quicker load times (if on the internal drive or a quicker drive than Xbox One), more stable framerate. But any game with a patch for Series X will need to run from the internal SSD.

You are right.

Unpatched games:

All games are getting HDR.
All games which are One X enhanced should run in "One X mode"
All games are getting 3x to 6x faster load times (internal or external SSD makes little difference if the SSD is quick enough)
Most/every performance issue games might have had on One/One X should get ironed out.
Games with uncapped framerates get a near 2x boost in fps (as per DF analysis) compared to One X.
Games with dynamic resolution should stick to 4k (or whatever the cap is) most of the time

Games receiving a Series X patch:

Become "Series X games" for all intents and purposes and will need to run from the internal NVME, and should be taking advantage of velocity architecture, resulting in even faster load times (possibly MUCH faster) and may get other enhancements.
Forza Horizon 4 should have graphics settings beyond PC Ultra while running in 4k60
Gears 5 is receiving a similar upgrade and a 120fps mode.

JediTimeBoy

Oct 27, 2017
If I've got an external 4TB hdd, is there any point me also using an old Crucial 240GB ssd?
It's either the first one or the second one iirc:

uk.crucial.com

Crucial BX500 240GB 3D NAND SATA 2.5-inch SSD | CT240BX500SSD1 | Crucial UK

Buy Crucial BX500 240GB 3D NAND SATA 2.5-inch SSD CT240BX500SSD1. FREE US Delivery, guaranteed 100% compatibility when ordering using our online tools.

Crucial MX500 250 GB CT250MX500SSD1(Z)-Up to 560 MB/s (3D NAND, SATA, 2.5 Inch, Internal SSD): Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

Buy Crucial MX500 250 GB CT250MX500SSD1(Z)-Up to 560 MB/s (3D NAND, SATA, 2.5 Inch, Internal SSD) at Amazon UK. Free delivery and return on eligible orders.

Oct 29, 2017
You are right.

Unpatched games:

All games are getting HDR.
All games which are One X enhanced should run in "One X mode"
All games are getting 3x to 6x faster load times (internal or external SSD makes little difference if the SSD is quick enough)
Most/every performance issue games might have had on One/One X should get ironed out.
Games with uncapped framerates get a near 2x boost in fps (as per DF analysis) compared to One X.
Games with dynamic resolution should stick to 4k (or whatever the cap is) most of the time

Become "Series X games" for all intents and purposes and will need to run from the internal NVME, and should be taking advantage of velocity architecture, resulting in even faster load times (possibly MUCH faster) and may get other enhancements.
Forza Horizon 4 should have graphics settings beyond PC Ultra while running in 4k60

Great post. This needs to be pinned somewhere.

Oct 25, 2017

Abominuz

Oct 29, 2017
Netherlands
DF on fire lately with the output on video's. Now still need the ps5 teardown analyses and Paul beating jayz and Nexus on the 3090 battle and the weekend is good.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
If I've got an external 4TB hdd, is there any point me also using an old Crucial 240GB ssd?
It's either the first one or the second one iirc:

uk.crucial.com

Crucial BX500 240GB 3D NAND SATA 2.5-inch SSD | CT240BX500SSD1 | Crucial UK

Buy Crucial BX500 240GB 3D NAND SATA 2.5-inch SSD CT240BX500SSD1. FREE US Delivery, guaranteed 100% compatibility when ordering using our online tools.

Crucial MX500 250 GB CT250MX500SSD1(Z)-Up to 560 MB/s (3D NAND, SATA, 2.5 Inch, Internal SSD): Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

Buy Crucial MX500 250 GB CT250MX500SSD1(Z)-Up to 560 MB/s (3D NAND, SATA, 2.5 Inch, Internal SSD) at Amazon UK. Free delivery and return on eligible orders.
Capacity is so low, you may as well just transfer from the HDD to the internal.

rafiii

Feb 7, 2019
Thank you. So as I understand it - tell me if I'm wrong - unpatched Xbox One games can see some benefits from the Series X like auto-HDR, quicker load times (if on the internal drive or a quicker drive than Xbox One), more stable framerate. But any game with a patch for Series X will need to run from the internal SSD.
Yep, that's it.

Deleted member 9857

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
well that was very informative, it confirms my decision to just stick with the external SSD I had been using for my One X for BC on the Series X

I'll make do with the internal SSD for next-gen games until the proprietary expansion SSD drops in price

edit: I'm looking forward to tests like this for the PS5 since it's internal is going to be so much faster, I wonder if that'll make more of a difference with BC games?

Last edited:

AngelOFDeath

Nov 13, 2017
If they had used a TLC SSD instead of QLC it probably would have been pretty similar.
QLC has a hard drop off on write speeds once their SLC cache fills up.
Yeah I remember reading that the QVO is notorious for that. Wonder if someone is going to do any extensive list down the road when these consoles drop. Were talking seconds here for loading, but I was gonna do some back n forth stuff.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
well that was very informative, it confirms my decision to just stick with the external SSD I had been using for my One X for BC on the Series X

I'll make do with the internal SSD for next-gen games until the proprietary expansion SSD drops in price

edit: I'm looking forward to tests like this for the PS5 since it's internal is going to be so much faster, I wonder if that'll make more of a difference with BC games?
I just really want some confirmation that loading is equal or faster on BC game as it is on XSX.
I want to assume so, but you never really know until confirmed. Will be sorely disappointed if gains aren't nearly as good.

Yeah I remember reading that the QVO is notorious for that. Wonder if someone is going to do any extensive list down the road when these consoles drop. Were talking seconds here for loading, but I was gonna do some back n forth stuff.

Grab a TLC drive in that case. Ones with DRAM are best like the WD Blue.

Oct 29, 2017
I just really want some confirmation that loading is equal or faster on BC game as it is on XSX.
I want to assume so, but you never really know until confirmed. Will be sorely disappointed if gains aren't nearly as good.

Grab a TLC drive in that case. Ones with DRAM are best like the WD Blue.

You'd recommend this one?

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
Yes, good value and goes up to 4TB but that one sold is on a different link for some reason:

Also, the Sandisk Ultra 3D SSD is essentially the same (WD bought Sandisk a while back) but with DDR3 DRAM.

So I'd get whichever is cheaper at a given moment.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
Yes, good value and goes up to 4TB but that one sold is on a different link for some reason:

Also, the Sandisk Ultra 3D SSD is essentially the same (WD bought Sandisk a while back) but with DDR3 DRAM.

So I'd get whichever is cheaper at a given moment.
A reminder, Prime days are coming up next week and then I'd imagine there will be sales around Thanksgiving even outside US.

logash

Oct 27, 2017
One would need the disc version of AC Unity to try and run it at 60 FPS right? I feel like I remember the patched version running at 30 FPS. Am I remembering this right?

Oct 29, 2017

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
External SATA SSD definitely seems best price / performance for running back compat games.

Yeah. The externanl NVMe is faster, but that money is better spent expanding the internal storage via the official expansion card, or in the case of PS5, getting a compliant internal PCI-e NVMe.

One would need the disc version of AC Unity to try and run it at 60 FPS right? I feel like I remember the patched version running at 30 FPS. Am I remembering this right?

Correct. I believe the Witcher 3 was also unlocked before it got patched?

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
Yeah. The externanl NVMe is faster, but that money is better spent expanding the internal storage via the official expansion card, or in the case of PS5, getting a compliant internal PCI-e NVMe.
NVME pricing is very close to SATA for the less expensive drives... which are still going to be much faster vs SATA SSDs. External enclosure cost is also not that far off anymore. Mind you, this is for 1TB - 2TB drives.

shodgson8

Aug 22, 2018
Kind of regretting getting a 4TB mechanical drive late last year. Should have picked up a smaller SSD for BC. I suppose it can still be used as a big storage drive rather than a 'play' drive.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
Is Digital Foundry going to cover anything PS5?

Sony just did a PS5 tear down and DF puts up an Xbox video instead. Are these paid videos by Microsoft?
Considering Rich worked about a week on this video and Sony just dropped a (rather uninteresting) video out of the blue the other day. I think it makes more sense for Rich to prioritise his work, finish his original video, and then move on to something else. A tear down of the physical console that he does not have his hands on is less interesting then working with a console which no one else has and answering key questions people actually care about. IMO - the tear down video is a lot of self explanatory imagery and does not have a lot of information. But I am also not one to cover such a video anyway.

Last edited:

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
It'll be interesting to see how file sizes compare. Right now, I have 500+ games installed on an external HDD on Xbox One X. I already pre-ordered the 1 TB expansion card for Xbox Series X (as well as the Xbox Series X itself), so I'm wondering what the likelihood will be that I end up needing the same amount of storage to store the same games or if there'll be some sort of compression applied to all games.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I have a 3Tb external HDD on my One X. Think I might just grab an external SSD and transfer over my OG Xbox and 360 games etc. I don't really want to have to load and reload games backwards and forwards from SSD to HDD but larger capacity SSDs are still expensive.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space

Sony just did a PS5 tear down and DF puts up an Xbox video instead. Are these paid videos by Microsoft?
Imagine if Sony was smart enough to give DF the kind of access to the PS5 as MS has with the XSX.

You think the DF team wouldn't love that?

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California

This answers a question I posted on the YouTube video's page. That's awesome. I mean, the loading times in Forza Horizon 4 generally aren't that bad outside of initially loading into the game from the title screen and coming out of events and/or changing seasons, as the presentation going into a race masks the loading times. That said, it'll be interesting to see how much more quickly the game loads. I was going to put it on the internal storage, anyway, since I still play it so much.

Also, I wonder if there's a separate default storage setting for different types of games. It'd be nice to be able to have only Series X optimized games going to the internal storage and expansion card and everything else going to the external USB SSD.

infinityBCRT

Nov 1, 2017

They talked about the tear down during the 1 million subscriber stream.

Also DF plans their content in advance, unless it's really big news they usually take a few days to get to something like this.

Oct 27, 2017
The most amazing part was when they tested the same external SSD on the XSX vs X1X and there was still a huge loading time difference (17 seconds vs 73 seconds). That shows that even when running a last-gen game, decompression can at times be the dominant factor in reducing loading.

Considering Rich worked about a week on this video and Sony just dropped a (rather uninformative) video out of the blue the other day. I think it makes more sense for Rich to prioritise his work, finish his original video, and then move on to something else. A tear down of the physical console that he does not have his hands on is less interesting then working with a console which no one else has and answering key questions people actually care about.

Yeah, I think most of us who regularly pay attention to tech analysis like yours know that a full deep dive of hardware is never allowed until the product is officially released. Even the prerelease XSX consoles have restrictions on what specific use cases the media can talk about before launch and they sent those out over a month before release.

At this point, we know it's the videos that come out in the week after launch that will be the most insightful.