• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Underground

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
This just solidifies my choice to just get a 2TB Sabrent 3.5GB/s NVMe SSD for the PS5. Seems like the best solution being that a 2tB 2.5" SSD cost just like $30 less. It won't handle PS5 games, but I don't need it to. Will just use it as cold storage for PS5 games and run my PS4 games off it.

Gotta wonder though, would it be possible that some third-party NVMe adaptor is released for the XSX and you can just plug in a faster NVME M.2 SSD to it?

Deleted member 2328

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One thing that this video made me realize is that the Series X only uses the expandable storage. Is this correct?

If so I would rather prefer the approach Sony took with the PS5 with the embedded SSD and M.2 for expandable storage.

EDIT: Neverrmind. Thankfully I'm wrong.

Last edited:

AngelOFDeath

Nov 13, 2017
Go with whatever is the fastest if you go with NVME. I don't think it matters on the SATA side though.
Guess I am trying to figure out, what was the limiting factor, the QVO read/write being smaller than the NVMe or the SATA to USB interface? For the NVMe having almost twice the write speed as the QVO, shouldn't it have copied faster?

Edit: I mean the NVMe did complete the job 6 minutes faster, so that does match up actually.

Merrill

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax
User Banned (3 Days) - Inflammatory Generalizations
Is Digital Foundry going to cover anything PS5?

Sony just did a PS5 tear down and DF puts up an Xbox video instead. Are these paid videos by Microsoft?

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
just shows the gargantuan leap that spinning hdd was to ssd and how much smaller it is from an ssd to an NvMe
Nah, this is just showing that with old code that does the decoding on the CPU, the CPU becomes a huge bottleneck. The same games would see a huuuuge difference with the NVMe drive if they were optimized for the Velocity Architecture.

Sony just did a PS5 tear down and DF puts up an Xbox video instead. Are these paid videos by Microsoft?
Journalists have had the XBOX Series X for a while, I'm pretty sure they don't have the PS5 yet...

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
Another great video.

Bit bummed that the only next gen stuff we're consuming seems to load times on series X and some new Dirt 5 footage.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017

Well, DF has an XSX they can test on. They don't have a PS5. What do you want them to do, just pretend?

As to the topic, this is why I bought a dedicated external USB 3.2 SSD already. I've been playing games off it for about a month now.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Went ahead and grabbed Richard's usb Sabrent 1tb Samsung combo on Amazon for $100. I honestly might just clone my HDD to it and use it for my PC.

Mokubba

Oct 27, 2017
This just solidifies my choice to just get a 2TB Sabrent 3.5GB/s NVMe SSD for the PS5. Seems like the best solution being that a 2tB 2.5" SSD cost just like $30 less. It won't handle PS5 games, but I don't need it to. Will just use it as cold storage for PS5 games and run my PS4 games off it.

Gotta wonder though, would it be possible that some third-party NVMe adaptor is released for the XSX and you can just plug in a faster NVME M.2 SSD to it?

USB 3.2 is 10Gbps which is 1.25GB/s so that Sabrent will be overkill I think.

Jul 10, 2020
Very, very, very good.

So good in fact that an argument can be made that you don't even have to buy MS proprietary SSD as long s you are willing to only ever run your XSX/S games off the internal drive.
Yeah I was thinking that until there are more options open for the expansion cards, I think I'll just switch between moving games around between Internal NvME and External HDD/SSD. Since I only play one game at a time, I think I'll be more than fine until prices come down.

Mokubba

Oct 27, 2017
That would help yes, didn't realize they didn't have one.

It would still be nice to see their analysis on the PS5 tear down. Their Xbox video seems like marketing for Xbox considering the timing.

Yea they mentioned on their 1 Million Sub stream how it just dropped out of nowhere but I think a video is coming. They've just got a lot on their hands since they already have a Series X unit.
Next few months will be a lot of work for them but good info for us all, no doubt.

bevishead

Jan 9, 2018

It would still be nice to see their analysis on the PS5 tear down. Their Xbox video seems like marketing for Xbox considering the timing.

Well Microsoft did send them the consoles. That is what marketing is. Why wouldn't they make videos about it?

cmdrshepard

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017

I mean - MS shipped consoles out to press and influencers this far out to generate rolling coverage. PS5 to our knowledge has only let Japanese influencers near it in a controlled environment.
DF did a great video on the Xbox breakdown because they went to Redmond and did it themselves. I imagine we will see a light video responding to the PS5 teardown but will reserve their full thoughts as always till they have the box in their hands.

Oct 29, 2017

Timing? They've had a Series X for a couple of weeks and are just getting testing done as they would with any console that they've had for that long. They'll do the same with PS5.

Not sure why you seem so determined to think they're advertising for Xbox.

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was under the impression that USB 3.1 is faster than 3.0... am I wrong?
USB 3.0 = USB 3.1 Gen 1 = USB 3.2 Gen 1 = 5gbps
USB 3.1 Gen 2 = USB 3.2 Gen 2 = 10gbps
Then there is 20gbps USB 3.2 Gen2x2

USB naming is nearly useless, but Series X|S have USB 3.1 gen 1 ports which are just USB 3.0 by another name

nexus

Oct 25, 2017
I think i have an older 256 gb ssd somewhere. I should just get an adapter and use that for some back compat games.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
This all lines up w/ the tests Ars Technica published in my back-compat feature a while back (and is the one thing I was surprised to not see DF cover in its first look at the topic).

I'm not sure the USB 3.1 adapter matters all that much for whatever floating drive you might want to use. Just get some sort of enclosure that you can affix to the side of your Series X, honestly, so that you don't have a floating SSD among your behind-the-TV cords.

Oct 29, 2017
This all lines up w/ the tests Ars Technica published in my back-compat feature a while back (and is the one thing I was surprised to not see DF cover in its first look at the topic).

I'm not sure the USB 3.1 adapter matters all that much for whatever floating drive you might want to use. Just get some sort of enclosure that you can affix to the side of your Series X, honestly, so that you don't have a floating SSD among your behind-the-TV cords.

Any recommendations?

MaulerX

Oct 30, 2017
This was actually a pretty amazing video. I'll just keep all the BC games on an external SSD and reserve the internal/expansion NVME for Series X games.

Also proves that loading speeds and performance are not entirely dependent on raw SSD speeds. Curious to see games that fully utilize the Velocity Architecture.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
Does the Xbox TRIM SSDs for maintenance from time to time?
Note that the Sabrent adapter does not support TRIM functions.

If you want a 3.1 adapter with TRIM the StarTech cable is available for about $6 more.

For me the cases on SSDs are pretty much enclosures unto themselves.
For 2.5" mechanicals I did always use an enclosure.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017

They're covering what's available. Their own Series X tear-down was from ~six months ago, just because it's how long the the hardware has been available for hands-on stuff. The video here has substance, because it can actually inform some secondary purchasing decisions that have nothing to do with MS.

They'd (mostly) just be making superficial comments the Sony footage, and stuff like that is probably better served as either off-hand comments in a subsequent video, or something they include later-on when Sony provides hardware for real coverage. Video production takes time, so there will be some delay even after Sony sends units out, and "it would give the PS5 screen time" isn't a great reason to rush something if there's no substance for it yet.

Last edited:

supercommodore

Prophet of Truth
Apr 13, 2020
UK
It's been confirmed that quick resume does work on external SSD's.

Yeah I assume the "save state" will be on the internal while the game data will be on the external. I guess the reserved space for quick resume doesn't care where the game is installed.

Edit: info below

news.xbox.com

A Primer on the Simple and Custom Storage Options Available for Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S at Launch - Xbox Wire

For Xbox players, backwards compatibility and Xbox Game Pass have made it possible for us all to have libraries of games at our fingertips at the beginning of the new console generation. One of the promises of Xbox Series X|S is the ability to play four generations of games: favorites, those...

Shogmaster

Banned
Dec 12, 2017
Just get the cheapest SATA 2.5" SSD for BC. They all max out now days at around 550MBps, the limit of SATA interface. NVMe for BC is kinda dumb since the USB 3.1 bus only partially saturates it. So most of NVMe read speed (50% or more) is wasted while price difference between SATA and NVMe of same size will be noticeable.

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
I'll use the series x mem card until it's full and I need more space. I doubt I'll need anything after having internal and external covered.

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
What specifically do we mean by back-compat games here? Any game that runs on Xbox One but isn't enhanced for Xbox Series X?

Oct 29, 2017

Rich has an Xbox Series X in hand. Any PS5 video he could do would just be a reaction video. Get Sony to send out those PS5s to journalists and then we'll be in business. :)

What specifically do we mean by back-compat games here? Any game that runs on Xbox One but isn't enhanced for Xbox Series X?

Correct.

Games that actually get Series X patches will presumably utilize the Velocity Architecture and get even better results.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017

Yes, every xbox One/One X game except those that are receiving a next gen patch like Forza Horizon 4 and Gears 5. Those will need to run from internal NVME once patched

Am I ok just to plug an SSD into that sabrant thing, or should I buy one that is an enclosure?

Yes, i have a similar sabrent thing, I just plugged it into an old 240GB SSD as light storage. It works as any external storage device.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
The slow speed of the QLC write test of over 100GB makes sense. Due to the QLC nature, after X GB it will dramatically slow down.
A TLC SSD drive would fare better, but luckily the write speed isn't as important.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
I will just continue to use my 4TB HDD and move everything I currently play back and forth with internal. No need in buying another one.

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
Yes, every xbox One/One X game except those that are receiving a next gen patch like Forza Horizon 4 and Gears 5. Those will need to run from internal NVME once patched
Thank you. So as I understand it - tell me if I'm wrong - unpatched Xbox One games can see some benefits from the Series X like auto-HDR, quicker load times (if on the internal drive or a quicker drive than Xbox One), more stable framerate. But any game with a patch for Series X will need to run from the internal SSD.

canderous

Prophet of Truth
Jun 12, 2020
People looking for quality budget SATA SSDs should take a look at Crucial Mx500 and Seagate Barracuda 120. Wait for prime day.