• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
Strange DF says its 720p-900p but analistadebits say it is 900p-1080p but mostly of the time at 1080p on series S

DF mentioned that pixel counting for this can be tricky since it uses UE4 TAA which essentially makes it look like a higher resolution than what is actually being rendered. Maybe analista didn't account for that or DF went too far in the other direction?

Either way, all that matters is the next-gen consoles are running at a fairly smooth 60 fps and at a decent enough resolution for a 1080P or 1440P/4K screen.

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
Disappointed they targeted 60FPS instead of a full 4k image, but I guess I'll take some bump in resolution over no bump.

pvin626

Nov 16, 2017
Looks like the wait paid off, now I do not want to $25.00 for this, so EA play is probably the best deal for this at the moment.

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
I seriously regret my Series S purchase. It's literally just being treated like a One S with a slight boost when its capable of much more. I feel like only Destiny 2's update has shown its potential
I say wait for next-gen only games to drop. These are quick patches, not in-depth ones, and the results are not bad at all. I think the system will perform good in the long run.

M4xim1l1ano

Oct 29, 2017
Santiago, Stockholm, Vienna
I seriously regret my Series S purchase. It's literally just being treated like a One S with a slight boost when its capable of much more. I feel like only Destiny 2's update has shown its potential

I don't think 3party will really make the effort in regards to series s. MS first party are the ones that will make the machine sing and show what it is capable off.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
From the video:
  • Series S targets 60FPS only. No "Quality" mode. 720p-900p range.
  • PS5 targets 60FPS only. No "Quality" mode. Fixed 1200p resolution
  • Series X offers both a 30fps Quality mode (dynamic 2160p-1512p) and 60fps Performance mode (dynamic 1440p-1080p)
  • Series X and PS5 look very comparable. A little bit sharper on Series X, a little bit smoother on PS5.
  • Series S|X and PS5 are all huge improvements over their last-gen counterparts

They missed a few things based on other comparisons. Series X has higher quality shadows than ps5 and slightly better texture filtering with less flicker.
Series S has lower quality shadows and closer distance for shadow draw in. Probably all hold overs from the last gen settings used.

MrBenchmark

Dec 8, 2017
why it's still plays better than even the One X. I have every system and played last night on the series s it was great compared to the terrible 30fps it is even on the One X. Yeah it plays really nice on Series X but I feel perfectly fine switching between them of trying to play at high visuals on the One X when the frame rate at 30 feels gross. Also the Series S with a display that has Freesync takes all the jank out.

Oct 30, 2017
I mean you kinda know what you were getting in regards to backward compatibility.
Destiny 2 on SS is basically an actual SS edition. Star Wars is just an enhancement patch.

Oct 28, 2017
30fps needs to die..like right now. I've seen enough 60fps so far 2 months into next-gen that I can never go back. 30fps being the only option will in fact be a deal breaker for me on all future game purchases.

With that said, this game always ran like ass in certain spots, even on PC. I thought I heard something about this being Respawn's first Unreal Engine game and maybe they don't have a full handle on it. I wouldn't get too caught up or read anything at all into one version being superior than the other.

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
Series S looks soooo much better now. It used to look far blurrier and framerate was pretty bad.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
30fps needs to die..like right now. I've seen enough 60fps so far 2 months into next-gen that I can never go back. 30fps being the only option will in fact be a deal breaker for me on all future game purchases.

With that said, this game always ran like ass in certain spots, even on PC. I thought I heard something about this being Respawn's first Unreal Engine game and maybe they don't have a full handle on it. I wouldn't get too caught up or read anything at all into one version being superior than the other.
It's not going to die and it is in fact going to be more and more prominent as we get further into the generation.

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018
Good for folks who want to revisit or playing for the first time, esp. now that it is on GP.

Personally, I am not going to touch that game again with a 10 ft pole or any Respawn title for that matter until after the honeymoon period with game reviewers is over and a truer picture of its quality can be ascertained.

Erm.... what honeymoon period? The game has been out for a year and a half, surely the "honeymoon" period would be over by now. And it's a really good game - so what is this "truer picture" you mention?

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Erm.... what honeymoon period? The game has been out for a year and a half, surely the "honeymoon" period would be over by now. And it's a really good game - so what is this "truer picture" you mention?

I am referring to Honeymoon period in general for larger titles. The game received accolades which never indicated how much of a technical mess it was on consoles (I played on One X at launch) not to mentioned issues with AI, accessibility option pertaining to checkpoints, etc. I wrote a long review for it in Dec 2019. The most recent example is Cyberpunk 2077 which was getting 100s, 90s and 80s right up until launch because the pub provided PC only codes for the review and then glass house met the incoming rock.

More generally speaking, early reviews seldom have the time to scrutinize titles unlike the long form critiques that come out a few months to years down the line. A truer picture would be to see what are the common points of consensus among those long form reviews coming from people with varying backgrounds.

greetdeath

Oct 27, 2017
Multiple enemies will attack and the combat system doesn't respect the dodge mechanic. It leads to, especially with the animal enemies, getting run over repeatedly. Also, you have to stim mechanic but it's not instantaneous and can be interrupted by enemies.

Once you die, you get sent back to your last save point like this is 1998. Sometimes this can be 10 minutes away or more from where you died.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I'm really glad that my Series S setup is on a VRR display. I didn't expect them to go back to make this kind of boost available.

Edit: The resolution difference even just on the Series S is enough to make a lot of the transparencies like hair and other fine alpha effects look a lot better. This is solid.

Last edited:

JudgmentJay

Nov 14, 2017
Texas
Multiple enemies will attack and the combat system doesn't respect the dodge mechanic. It leads to, especially with the animal enemies, getting run over repeatedly. Also, you have to stim mechanic but it's not instantaneous and can be interrupted by enemies.

Once you die, you get sent back to your last save point like this is 1998. Sometimes this can be 10 minutes away or more from where you died.

I don't think there's anything there that needs fixing... you could just lower the difficulty if you want an easier game.

Joo

May 25, 2018

I disagree that the enemies would need some major fixing. It very much depends on the player whether you get run over or not and I at least pretty much always felt that I made a mistake myself when that happened. The occasionally very choppy performance on base PS4 did cause some annoyances with the combat for me, but that's a different thing and seems to be fixed now.

You could always just lower the difficulty + the game isn't super hard even on higher difficulties, so I don't think the save points are really that punishing or badly designed. I think it's okay to have a minor setback when you die in a game like this, as it also makes you pay more attention.

Lord Error

Oct 27, 2017
I mention this as some in the patch release thread were under the belief that this should have been a 4k/60 patch and I don't see that as being possible with this engine without a major reworking - the Series S is going down to 720p with this patch according to DF and is still running into GPU throughput bottlenecks when trying to hit 60, if you're getting that on a 4TF RDNA2 GPU you're sure as hell not going to get 4k/60 with a 10/12tflop one.
I think also (and DF guys seem to bring that up) that there is some kind of barrier to using these systems to their full ability when just patching the old gen games. But then again Ghost of Tsushima and Days Gone (which is an UE4 game) did get 4K/60 modes with exactly that kind of patch, so who knows.

Oct 27, 2017
I think also (and DF guys seem to bring that up) that there is some kind of barrier to using these systems to their full ability when just patching the old gen games. But then again Ghost of Tsushima and Days Gone (which is an UE4 game) did get 4K/60 modes with exactly that kind of patch, so who knows.

Isn't Tsushima 1800p and checkerboard at that? People throw around the "4k mode" on PS4 Pro, but that is/was an indication of a mode for 4K TVs vs. actually being 4K.
The PS5 updates for Days and Tsushima upped the framerates, it did not improve anything else graphically like resolution, shadows, textures etc. So whatever the top end of the original resolution was on the PS4 Pro remains the same on the PS5 BC update.

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
On PS5 they are improved but patch didn't do much for loading times. First boot is around 20 seconds. I haven't played past the 1.5 hour mark on PS5 so I can't judge about other loading moments and stuff. Here's the boot up / light intro stuff I recorder earlier

And here's some other gameplay Bishop89 made running on PS5 with the patch which is a bit further into the game

Boot up seemed the same to me.

Someone asked me if respawning is quicker now. Can't remember how long it took prior to the patch, but I tested it and it takes 18-20 seconds now.

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
Boot up seemed the same to me.

Someone asked me if respawning is quicker now. Can't remember how long it took prior to the patch, but I tested it and it takes 18-20 seconds now.
Ugh. That's like... 18 seconds too long.

Let me tell you, we are going to get spoiled by nonexistent load times and 60fps this generation. It has already started.

Flappy Pannus

Feb 14, 2019
Ghosts of Tsushima is still 1800p checkerboarded on the PS5, it just went to 60fps with no other visual improvements. Days Gone I believe went 4k 'native' (there's some contention that it's still checkerboarded but based on how it looks and the developers comments it seems it went native to me), but with dynamic res added as well. Either way they really didn't change their upper resolution, Days Gone perhaps as they went from checkerboarded to native.

Both are far smaller jumps than what would be required to take Fallen Order to 4k/60 from the previous mid-gen refresh consoles, for example Fallen Order on the PS4 Pro reached a max of 1200p in the 30fps mode (and that was the ceiling - it could go in the 900p range), and a max of 900p in the performance mode (which of course didn't come anywhere near 60fps locked).

Going from that...to 4k/60 would make it the largest leap of any previous-to next-gen patch released, significantly so - that's more than a 5X pixel count increase, and wanting better performance to boot. I mean I don't think the graphics in gameplay necessarily warrant these GPU demands, but it is what it is - you wouldn't get that without a major reworking of the engine.

Flappy Pannus

Feb 14, 2019
PS5 or PC with GeForce 1070 and i7 6700k?
I'd say probably PS5. I don't think you'll have enough grunt to get 1440p locked 60 on the 1070, so it will be 1080p, which will look a little softer than the PS5. The PS5's traversal stutters will likely also be less. Shadows will be better on the PC but that's about it.

Belvedere

Oct 27, 2017
So what are the odds of a proper PS5 version/update? I know No Man's Sky has actually updated to a PS5 version, so I'd imagine it's possible, no?

Witness

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hartford, CT
It looks fantastic at 60fps and 1440p on Series X, it's a massive boost in image quality. I put probably 3 hours into it playing it in 1080p 60fps mode prior to the patch on Series X and the update really is a huge difference in image quality. So glad we got this upgrade, it was my GOTY last in 2019. I'm definitely going to finish this 3rd playthrough.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
I wish EA put anything I wanted to play on their service. I've already played through this on PC but I'd like to see it at 60 FPS.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed Fallen Order, but it was a mess (performance wise). I wish I had waited to play it on the PS5...

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
Wait what? I just played this like a week ago on Gamepass and it looked amazing (TAA + 60 fps) then. When did this come out?