• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Thug Larz

Designer @ Bungie
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Great Star Wars game, that I bought on my Xbox One X so I could see the best performance on previous gen. I played through it and enjoyed it, even with the performance issues.

If you have an Series X or PS5, like the Star Wars universe, and enjoy Dark Souls systems crossed with Metroidvanias...it's a no brainer to try it out now. Fun game.

Deleted member 19533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
that's false.
Nobody said this. The PS5 isn't to blame for the performance in the sense that the game isn't the best optimized game on any platform. However there is currently no BC game that goes beyond the best case resolution of the PS4 Pro port.

So if you say "why isn't it higher resolution, the PS5 hardware can do that", then I agree with it. But there seems to be software constrains in BC that there is no possibility to increase the resolution beyond the limit set for the PS4 Pro port (upper bound of the dynamic resolution).
They can simply add something to the menu to get around it (I already told you this before). Several games did this preemptively anticipating next gen consoles. Nioh 2, for example. Dead or Alive 6 did it on X.

It's only constrained because they're trying to run it in existing PS4 Pro modes. They actually removed a setting here for PS5 per the video. If you can take something away for PS5, you can certainly add it. Resolution mode, and an unlock frame toggle. Infamous also has this setup, as another example. It's totally doable. This is nothing short of half-baked. The game was an un-optimized mess to begin with. So, it's no surprise that a patch for next gen turned out this way for this game.

You're arguing that if they do it in this poor manner, they can only get these results. Then why do it in this manner? Other companies were forward thinking and have shown what can be done. It's nothing more than a bad excuse.

Patchy

Oct 29, 2017
I'm confused. I thought it already ran at 60 in BC mode on PS5 and at a higher resolution?

Flappy Pannus

Feb 14, 2019
Can't watch it yet; do they say anything about how the graphics settings compare to the PC version?

Not in the video.

However, I've been jumping back and forth between it and the PC version on my 1660, which is a chore because several of the settings in the PC version don't actually seem to do anything, and it's not from lack of trying to find them. I literally can find no difference from medium (the lowest the settings go on PC) and the 'Epic' settings in Draw Distance, Texture Detail, and perhaps Post-Processing, but there may be thicker fog volumes with it on epic, or it might be rendering lower than native, as post-processing on medium seems to cause slightly more blurriness than high/epic (which I can't tell the difference from between those two at all).

There is really only one difference that is a noticeable downgrade from Epic PC settings that I can see (or again, medium in some settings as they have no difference) - and that's shadow resolution, but even that doesn't map to the PC's setting entirely, as that one PC shadow setting annoyingly controls both the shadow resolution + shadow LOD distance. So the PS5 version has the equivalent of the Epic setting for shadow draw distance in that they fade in from the same distance as the PC at the max setting, but the actual shadow resolution looks be equivalent to medium, so you get a lot more flickering/blocky shadows, especially self-shadows in cutscenes. If you set the PC's shadow setting at medium you get the same blocky shadows, but they pop in far more aggressively, so really Epic is the only sensible choice.

* edit: I've seen videos of the Xbox version, it seems to use high/epic for shadow vs the PS5's medium.

The only other difference is an odd one which was more pronounced pre-patch; the status screen where you see Cal and perform your upgrades/settings etc is blurrier than the PC version at the same res, while actual gameplay is sharper (the 1200p is noticeably more detailed than 1080p, and less than 1440p, as you would expect). That was always odd, it looked 900p pre-patch so this is better, but it never made much sense.

That's about it. The stuttering is less pronounced than it is on my PC (both are installed to their NVME SSDs, my CPU is a i5-9400f), the PS5 still has them when traversing but they seem to pass by quicker, so I'll be playing this on my PS5.

There were a few cutscenes early on where the PS5 couldn't maintain 60fps, didn't seem to be the loading stutters, just dropping into the high 50's for brief periods, otherwise it's been solid 60 with the traversal skips so far. I mention this as some in the patch release thread were under the belief that this should have been a 4k/60 patch and I don't see that as being possible with this engine without a major reworking - the Series S is going down to 720p with this patch according to DF and is still running into GPU throughput bottlenecks when trying to hit 60, if you're getting that on a 4TF RDNA2 GPU you're sure as hell not going to get 4k/60 with a 10/12tflop one.

Last edited:

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
think this is on sale currently at least on PS, or was last night at least. is the game worth it? I have a PS5 btw.

And don't forget you can just get EA Play for the month ($5) and finish it that way.

I'm waiting to go through some other games, but eventually will subscribe to Play again for a month to knock out this game and Mirror's Edge Catalyst.

Jan 4, 2021
This game gave me PTSD, I finished it in normal difficulty but the amount of getting lost and backtracking and some really frustrating boss fights make me never want to play it again. It's a good game, dont get me wrong, but I've never played bloodborne or any of its ilk.

Still, I'll probably play the sequel.

TheAggroCraig

One Winged Slayer
Nov 6, 2017
I still haven't checked this game out, but with this I guess I'm glad I put it off, will check out with Gamepass eventually.

Flappy Pannus

Feb 14, 2019
Didn't someone prove in the other thread (to you, no less) that this wasn't the case?

No...? That was about how it wasn't as fast as the PC version running from an SSD (which in my case, isn't so - they're basically identical, but my CPU may be holding it back?). I've had it installed to the external drive and moved it to the SSD precisely because the loading time was so poor, it's a huge improvement. The initial load still takes a bit, but things like respawning it's night and day.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
Thanks for the vid. Even though the performance on next gen systems is below what this game should deliver, it is a huge improvement over previous gen. Before Cyberpunk hit this was my go to for terrible performance in a AAA game.

Flappy Pannus

Feb 14, 2019
And I'm sure Digital Foundry are quite capable of finding low load scenes or seeing the menus weren't 4K...

I remember switching back and forth to the res mode with this on my PS5, while it was definitely sharper than performance mode there is no way in hell it was anything close to 4k. I can compare with the PC version, it certainly didn't look like that in 4k.

digitalrelic

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This game gave me PTSD, I finished it in normal difficulty but the amount of getting lost and backtracking and some really frustrating boss fights make me never want to play it again. It's a good game, dont get me wrong, but I've never played bloodborne or any of its ilk.

Still, I'll probably play the sequel.
This made me laugh.

"I've got PTSD and I never want to play this game again. Can't wait for the sequel!"

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I remember switching back and forth to the res mode with this on my PS5, while it was definitely sharper than performance mode there is no way in hell it was anything close to 4k. I can compare with the PC version, it certainly didn't look like that in 4k.
The performance mode was 1080p. So quality mode was higher, but a long way off 4K

Mar 31, 2018
Does anyone know if the loading times are improved? They were pretty bad on the PS4 Pro.

On PS5 they are improved but patch didn't do much for loading times. First boot is around 20 seconds. I haven't played past the 1.5 hour mark on PS5 so I can't judge about other loading moments and stuff. Here's the boot up / light intro stuff I recorder earlier

And here's some other gameplay Bishop89 made running on PS5 with the patch which is a bit further into the game

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
No...? That was about how it wasn't as fast as the PC version running from an SSD (which in my case, isn't so - they're basically identical, but my CPU may be holding it back?). I've had it installed to the external drive and moved it to the SSD precisely because the loading time was so poor, it's a huge improvement. The initial load still takes a bit, but things like respawning it's night and day.
Nah the misunderstanding here is that the same person who posted the video in that thread said he was comparing the speed from before the patch to the speed after the patch, installed on the SSD on both occasions. In other words, the patch didn't change anything there.

As an aside, if i recall, it took about 20 seconds while another video showed the Series S loading in about 12-15, which I've confirmed myself. (It takes 5 secs at most for me on PC.)

EDIT: Speak of the devil^

Feb 1, 2018
I seriously regret my Series S purchase. It's literally just being treated like a One S with a slight boost when its capable of much more. I feel like only Destiny 2's update has shown its potential

DarkManX

Dec 20, 2017
Strange DF says its 720p-900p but analistadebits say it is 900p-1080p but mostly of the time at 1080p on series S

DarkManX

Dec 20, 2017
EA didn't announce any improvements for the Series S version besides frame rate so I would go with DF on this one
I seen some videos and its far from being between 720p-900p. ofc im not saying they reviewed it wrong but yet they said fifa was 4k on Series S and its 1080p

And if im not wrong, EA did not tell anything about resolutions from their next gen upgrade

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
Played through and loved it on One X.

I never saw/had any glitches or freezes thankfully (knocks on wood).

Definitely going to try out a 4k playthrough on the Series X. The game was good looking at 1080p, so it should be gorgeous on my set at 4k.

MercuryLS

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wish the PS5 version had a higher res, 1200p isn't much more than the 1080p it was at before in performance mode.

MetalKhaos

Oct 31, 2017
At work right now, so have to watch later tonight. Didn't see it mentioned here, but did they say how the Series X performance mode was going? Saw the 60fps and 1080p-1440p. Was wondering if it's hitting close to that 1440 more consistent with occasional drops to 1080?

CabooseMSG

Jun 27, 2020
think this is on sale currently at least on PS, or was last night at least. is the game worth it? I have a PS5 btw.
Its like a Sekiro star wars, in that irs party based, lock on melee combat. It differs in almost every other way. It also can be easier, as there are options to make parry windoes larger, enemies do less damage, etc.

Jamaro

Oct 27, 2017
Been curious about this game for awhile, for $23.99 sale price on PSN I think it's a good time to jump in on PS5. Would've liked more than 1200p at 60 but as an improvement over what was there before I'll take it.

digitalrelic

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
At work right now, so have to watch later tonight. Didn't see it mentioned here, but did they say how the Series X performance mode was going? Saw the 60fps and 1080p-1440p. Was wondering if it's hitting close to that 1440 more consistent with occasional drops to 1080?
They unfortunately didn't dive into specifics, but they did say that the Series X version tends to be a little sharper than the PS5 version.

MetalKhaos

Oct 31, 2017
They unfortunately didn't dive into specifics, but they did say that the Series X version tends to be a little sharper than the PS5 version.

Dang. Maybe it was just a quick/dirty kind of rundown. I know usually in these kinds of tests that they'll mention where the resolution tends to set.

Thanks though for the reply, appreciate it!

Akelisrain

Oct 30, 2017
Bel Air MD
Don't agree with this at all. It's a 9/10 game for me, but the bugs/lack of polish brought it down to an 8/10.

With these patches / bugfixes it should be quite the experience!
For me overall it is around 8.5, but I think the majority would rule it a 7.
It is the 3rd platinum I have ever gotten. I just finished last week.
However, it does have some bugs and can feel disjointed at times.

Last edited:

stat84

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I would have played the game again on the PS5 just for the 60fps.Any other improvements are also nice though, especially some of the textures not loading fast enough

Dante316

Oct 25, 2017
Glad I got addicted to demons soul before continuing to play this. I'll pick this up again in couple days

Majik13

Oct 27, 2017
And don't forget you can just get EA Play for the month ($5) and finish it that way.

I'm waiting to go through some other games, but eventually will subscribe to Play again for a month to knock out this game and Mirror's Edge Catalyst.
It's on EA Play. Pay $5 for a month and finish the game. According to reviews it doesn't have much replayability.

Was actually thinking of doing just this. I dont ever play games again after I drop them or finish them. But my kids also might want to play sometime down the road, so might be good to own too. Im still not sold on the $25 dollar sale price either just yet.

Thanks for all the recommendations everyone though.

greetdeath

Oct 27, 2017
Looks great but it's a shame they didn't fix some of the horrible gameplay aspects of the awful save system.