• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017

Wow, that came out of nowhere! Respawn Entertainment has updated Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order to tap into the extra horsepower of the Xbox Series X and S consoles, plus of course, PlayStation 5. It's 'back compat plus' as Rich calls it, so relatively limited compared to a native next-gen app - but here's how it looks and plays on all three systems.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Text article:

www.eurogamer.net

Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order - the 'surprise' next-gen patch tested

Wow, that came out of nowhere! A couple of days ago, Respawn Entertainment surprised us by releasing a next-gen patch f…

Xbox Series X appears to get the more fully featured range of upgrades. Of the three consoles, it is the only one to retain both the quality and performance modes of the last-gen versions - and both are improved. Quality mode targets 30fps with a dynamic resolution window of 1512p to 2160p

Its performance mode aims for 60fps, achieving it for the most part with a 1080p to 1440p dynamic resolution range.

By constrast, PlayStation 5 gets a single mode, targeting 60fps and doing so at a locked 1200p with 1440p post-process buffers.

Finally, there's Xbox Series S - it's a huge upgrade over the One S version, again targeting 60fps. No resolution metrics are provided in the patch notes, but we're seeing a dynamic resolution window in the range of 720p to 900p

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I just played this from start to platinum last month. I should have waited for this patch. It was still a lot better on PS5 than it ever was on PS4 but I would have liked to play it under these improved conditions.

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
I've yet to play this, definitely gonna try it whenever I end up getting a Series X since it's on GP.

Majik13

Oct 27, 2017
think this is on sale currently at least on PS, or was last night at least. is the game worth it? I have a PS5 btw.

Thanathorn

Dec 10, 2019
I feel like the series S should be capable of a higher resolution than that for a last gen game but maybe something about this game is very demanding.

Oct 25, 2017
Something about the combat and the animation of the character really puts me off from this game.

I got to the third world, and bounced.

Maybe I'll try again. I dunno.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
think this is on sale currently at least on PS, or was last night at least. is the game worth it? I have a PS5 btw.
It's the best star Wars game in ages and a good third person action adventure aswell. I can recommend it, if you like Star Wars obviously, story driven games and some exploration in linear environments. It has dungeons with puzzles aswell.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
I feel like the series S should be capable of a higher resolution than that for a last gen game but maybe something about this game is very demanding.
Keep in mind that this is running in BC modes. All consoles just use the raw power and no RDNA2 benefits and features. I don't think the game is the best optimized game ever on any platform, tho.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dont think its the game more so not messing around with it too much to get the VIP feature out in the shortest amount of time. Which is 60fps.

Huge upgrade.

Poldino

Oct 27, 2020
User Warned: lazy dev rhetoric
Lazy upgrade indeed, but I guess it's better than nothing

DogNut327

Aug 10, 2020
Just finished up the game at 30 fps on Series S, but now I might go 1000 gs just to experience the 60 fps.

I know they said the resolution wasn't all that, but in the little bit that I've played of the new update the image quality was still noticeably better than what it was.

Lord Error

Oct 27, 2017
It's bizarre that they outright removed 30FPS/4K mode from the PS5 update, because as far as I've seen without this patch, the game was already running at 2160p / 30FPS on PS5.
^
Looks like this was not actually the case, and the game probably maxed out at 1260p (not 2160p) in the Quality mode on PS5.

Last edited:

Doc Cottle

Jan 28, 2020
I played this on Series X with GamesPass. I loved it but....

MS have got some serious issues with their stack. Maybe it's just DirectX teething, maybe BC doesn't work well with their mixed memory setup or maybe their whole hyper-v/bc benefit is turning into a bottle neck. Either way this should not be the result and it's becoming all too common IMO.

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, those hitches are weird and a good chunk of the game in I did notice them especially in the scene they pointed out. Has not deterred my play through, having a blast especially after picking up some more powers.

Terbinator

Oct 29, 2017
It's bizarre that they outright removed 30FPS/4K mode from the PS5 update, because as far as I've seen without this patch, the game was already running at 2160p / 30FPS on PS5.
There was never a 4K mode on PS4 (or PS5 BC, or X1X). There was a quality mode which was dynamic and topped out around 1260p
www.youtube.com

Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order: Every Console Tested, Tech Problems Analysed

Respawn Entertainment's Jedi Fallen Order is an excellent amalgamation of Uncharted, Dark Souls and Metroid Prime - and while we should be celebrating a grea...

amplituhedr0n

Oct 28, 2017
Digital foundry keeping us all classy, as usual.

They're growing into their success well. I'm sure developers watch these videos to see what people think of their work and respond, if they can through additional patches like in Dirt 5.

It's pretty cool to be a regular viewer and then see them become the gold standard for actual, real world user experience metrics.

Being reminded of the gameplay video on base consoles of last generation and then seeing after the patch goes a long, long way. XSX is a little clearer and PS5 is a little more stable. Fair.

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
There was never a 4K mode on PS4 (or PS5 BC, or X1X). There was a quality mode which was dynamic and topped out around 1260p
www.youtube.com

Respawn Entertainment's Jedi Fallen Order is an excellent amalgamation of Uncharted, Dark Souls and Metroid Prime - and while we should be celebrating a grea...
According to the BC Thread here in ERA the Quality Mode ran at Native 4K on PS5

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
100%. It has some jank, but it's an overall very solid Star Wars x Dark Souls x Metroid Prime hybrid. Off the top of my head, I consider it my favorite game of 2019.

Lord Error

Oct 27, 2017
www.youtube.com

Yes, it was dynamic 4K and on PS4 Pro it was topping up at 1260p, but on PS5 it was apparently mostly running at the top 2160p, at least based on the chart and the comments in this thread: https://www.resetera.com/threads/ps5-backwards-compatibility-all-ps4-games-with-benefits.322747/

This image is the pre-new patch info:
starwarsjedifallenordymjn8.png

Last edited:

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Oh, I thought the Series X upgrade was 4k60 and the Series S upgrade is kinda weird, I'd expect 1080p at least even at 60 fps.
The PS5 upgrade kinda makes sense now with those numbers, hopefully they can add some more polish in the future. Locked 1440p60 on PS5 would be nice.

Terbinator

Oct 29, 2017
Yes, it was dynamic 4K and on PS4 Pro it was topping up at 1260p, but on PS5 it was apparently mostly running at the top 2160p, at least based on the chart and the comments in this thread: https://www.resetera.com/threads/ps5-backwards-compatibility-all-ps4-games-with-benefits.322747/

This image is the pre-new patch info.
starwarsjedifallenordymjn8.png
Is there some receipts of this?

Outside of the Sony 1P games have any games been improved beyond their PS4P versions in terms of resolution running in BC?

Lord Error

Oct 27, 2017

Outside of the Sony 1P games have any games been improved beyond their PS4P versions in terms of resolution running in BC?
Yes, of course. Any game that used dynamic resolution scaling or had an unstable unlocked framerate on PS4 will now run at (or close to) maximum available limit for both on PS5.

I'm not sure how the information in that thread is derived, but I believe that Liebe Brave is pixelcounting from the videos recorded by various posters in the thread.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
From the video:
  • Series S targets 60FPS only. No "Quality" mode. 720p-900p range.
  • PS5 targets 60FPS only. No "Quality" mode. Fixed 1200p resolution
  • Series X offers both a 30fps Quality mode (dynamic 2160p-1512p) and 60fps Performance mode (dynamic 1440p-1080p)
  • Series X and PS5 look very comparable. A little bit sharper on Series X, a little bit smoother on PS5.
  • Series S|X and PS5 are all huge improvements over their last-gen counterparts

MaestroChief

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 25, 2020
It's hard to believe this ia 720~900p on Series S. O play on a 4K TV and it's one of the cleanest games i've seen.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
What version number is this update? The game is on Game Pass (version 1.0.12.0), but in the game's menu on my Series X it still says Performance mode runs at 1080p.

Oct 27, 2017
I think posters are giving way too much credit to the PS4 Pro when it comes to running this game and so it lessens the accomplishments of the PS5 hardware on this one.
The PS4 Pro was not dynamic 2160p, nowhere near it. There are pixel counts of 960p in resolution mode and topping out at 1200p. Where have we ever seen a DRS window so wide that it could scale 5x the pixels AND be locked at 30fps?

Shout out to VGTech

Yuuber

Oct 28, 2017
They are wrong.
Digital Foundry found to capped at 1260p back when the game came out.

I'm no pixel counter, but the difference between the 4k mode and the 1080p one before the patch felt subtle to me, to the point I could barely tell the two modes apart (resolution-wise). So yeah, it probably wasn't native 4k.

Xeonidus

“Fuck them kids.”
Oct 28, 2017
Good stuff. I haven't picked this up yet but definitely will play through it on the PS5 down the road.

Floex

Oct 27, 2017
I literally can't tell the difference having been playing this pre and post patch on the PS5. It was a solid experience before that the only downside is that it required 4K

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
that's false.
Better watch it. In another thread yesterday I was getting bombarded with responses telling me it wasn't the game, but the PS5 to blame--completely ignore the X isn't great either.
Nobody said this. The PS5 isn't to blame for the performance in the sense that the game isn't the best optimized game on any platform. However there is currently no BC game that goes beyond the best case resolution of the PS4 Pro port.

So if you say "why isn't it higher resolution, the PS5 hardware can do that", then I agree with it. But there seems to be software constrains in BC that there is no possibility to increase the resolution beyond the limit set for the PS4 Pro port (upper bound of the dynamic resolution).

No as far as I can tell. What you get on PS5 is games running mostly or always at the limit of the dynamic resolution. So a 1800p game in PS4 Pro runs at 1800p more often on PS5.
Yes, of course. Any game that used dynamic resolution scaling or had an unstable unlocked framerate on PS4 will now run at (or close to) maximum available limit for both on PS5.

I'm not sure how the information in that thread is derived, but I believe that Liebe Brave is pixelcounting from the videos recorded by various posters in the thread.
What he meant is going beyond the upper bound of the dynamic resolution. And there is no game that does that on PS5 BC. What you get as you described is a higher average within the boundaries.

Last edited:

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I really wish they'd tapped into the new consoles a bit more. The pop-in still happening so close to the player is super disapointing and something I would have assumed would have easily been rectified with the new hardware.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Good for folks who want to revisit or playing for the first time, esp. now that it is on GP.

Personally, I am not going to touch that game again with a 10 ft pole or any Respawn title for that matter until after the honeymoon period with game reviewers is over and a truer picture of its quality can be ascertained.