• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MarsMayflower

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Nov 19, 2017
Disappointing. A 30fps cap has to be added. I remember day 1 TW3 on xbox one and it was painful. Glad I didn't buy this.

Last edited:

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Playing on the Pro, but it's arguably the worst HDR implementation I've seen on either platform.

Yikes. That's not a flattering statement. Horizon is the only thing that's justified by HDR TV purchase so far lol. Kinda starting to regret it :p (though it was the $599 TCL model so it's not like a spent a grand or something).

The_Land

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cleveland Ohio
I only played ~30 minutes on X in HDR since I was usually capturing without it but I didn't really catch any noticeable performance difference. HDR isn't really worth using in this game, though.
Is that something that can even be fixed? It seems like those wonky color settings in the game menu do absolutely nothing. Also wish HDR was an in game toggle not a go into your tv settings toggle

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Is that something that can even be fixed? It seems like those wonky color settings in the game menu do absolutely nothing. Also wish HDR was an in game toggle not a go into your tv settings toggle
So...on PS4 Pro it is a toggle in the menu. On X, they leave the system to handle it.

I'm not sure what can be done here as the lighting in general is very strange in this game. I wouldn't expect any major improvements, unfortunately.

Oct 26, 2017
Obviously they didn't. MWH is clearly an afterthought on Xbox.

That base Xbox One version though. Both PS4 and Xbox base versions are struggling big time. Maybe the biggest gap in a game so far.

Yeah it's a shame. In that regard SE did a much better job with FFXV, even if the sales didn't reach PS4 numbers at all, which is to be expected but still those devs did go out their way for it. Hope it won't be a returning thing, would fucking suck. And if not better than Pro, Jesus at least on Par with it.

Oct 26, 2017
So...on PS4 Pro it is a toggle in the menu. On X, they leave the system to handle it.

I'm not sure what can be done here as the lighting in general is very strange in this game. I wouldn't expect any major improvements, unfortunately.

That sucks a lot. I'd love a HDR toggle in games. Some games have that and I wish they all had that. Especially when there seems to be a bug that can happen when you disable HDR in the Xbox settings. I rather not touch that at all and let the game have such a toggle. Another weird decision by this developer, wow.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Guys, watch the video instead of some small rundown checklist. John put tons of effort into that video and it shows. Thanks for always putting in the highest quality analysis john.

I think the main issue for this game is that FPS cap....even for base PS4, i'm sure it could solve a portion of the judder due to no jumps above 30fps

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
Yikes. That's not a flattering statement. Horizon is the only thing that's justified by HDR TV purchase so far lol. Kinda starting to regret it :p (though it was the $599 TCL model so it's not like a spent a grand or something).

GT Sport has the best HDR I've ever seen. I think HZD is really good, but it's not even close to GTS IMO.

I liked ACO's, but some did not. Beyond that it's somewhat forgetful TBH.

space_nut

Oct 28, 2017
NJ
These are some of your choice statements within this topic itself:

So, no. You're not saying what's in the video. You're taking one sentence and twisting it completely on it's head to suit your needs. Nowhere does the video say the XBX is running at double the resolution, the Pro version being blurry or aliased. The performance mode isn't 10 FPS ahead on the XBX, only the graphics mode is .. or most of the other things you're claiming.

Please stop.

CB render target is half of what a native res is. Even DF stated that in their articles talking about cb. Nothing false. The pixels X pushes out is double than what pro does without using reconstruction techniques when using cb. That's what I'm comparing it to. Nothing made up. This is why it's a good way to see how cb stacks with a native res. A cb res isn't as good as a full blown native res. This is why John states in the video "...that said while the pixel count is slightly lower the overall clarity of the image during gameplay is actually improved on the X...". Also in perforamnce mode X gets up to 60fps and at the hub hovers around 55fps while pro was around 40fps. Only in the heat of combat the difference is lessen and in high vegeation areas due to the effects and alphas are tied to the render res. Hence the DOF is lower res than X

Last edited:

Putty

Double Eleven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Middlesbrough
CB render target is half of what a native res is. Even DF stated that in their articles talking about cb. Nothing false. The pixels X pushes out is double than what pro does without using reconstruction techniques when using cb. That's what I'm comparing it to. Nothing made up. This is why it's a good way to see how cb stacks with a native res. A cb res isn't as good as a full blown native res. This is why Tom states in the video "...that said while the pixel count is slightly lower the overall clarity of the image during gameplay is actually improved on the X...". Also in perforamnce mode X gets up to 60fps and at the hub hovers around 55fps while pro was around 40fps

At least get his name right ffs.

Belvedere

Oct 27, 2017
These are some of your choice statements within this topic itself:

So, no. You're not saying what's in the video. You're taking one sentence and twisting it completely on it's head to suit your needs. Nowhere does the video say the XBX is running at double the resolution or the Pro version being blurry or aliased. The performance mode isn't 10 FPS ahead on the XBX, only the graphics mode is .. or most of the other things you're claiming.

Please stop.

He likes to cherry-pick one portion of the frame buffer that isn't flattering to CBR and use it as a platform for 1X superiority, ignoring the rest of the pipeline. It's easily the most stubborn example of cognitive dissonance I've seen since the PS2 Xbox console warrior era.

The_Land

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cleveland Ohio
That sucks a lot. I'd love a HDR toggle in games. Some games have that and I wish they all had that. Especially when there seems to be a bug that can happen when you disable HDR in the Xbox settings. I rather not touch that at all and let the game have such a toggle. Another weird decision by this developer, wow.
If you have an X seriously turn off HDR. Game looks a billion times better on my 1080p projector then on my 4K HDR tv. It's a total white wash yet the particles pop with color as they should. It's just all sorts of fucked up in HDR

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
Wow, base PS4 and XB performance is horrible. Is there some explanation as to what is so taxing for these consoles?

Kevin360

OG Direct OP
Oct 25, 2017
Guess I'll be switching back to Resolution from Framerate mode on the Pro. I've only put in a few hours.

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝
Pro comes out looking comparatively good in resolution mode.
25138704557_058f317930_o.png
This comparison is useless considering it's not a 4K video. From my comparisons of my screenshots from the Pro beta and the 1X final version the Pro looked significantly more aliased.

Any chance of some high res comparison screenshots?

Wow, base PS4 and XB performance is horrible. Is there some explanation as to what is so taxing for these consoles?
From the footage I've seen aside from this video as well as my own beta experience, I get the feeling that the team's inexperience with modern hardware caused them to have some weird prioritization, rather than it being one specific thing. The game is clearly a big step forward visually for the series, but I don't think it's unfair at all to say that it's far from the best that either platform has offered, and certainly many of those games above it on a technical level don't exhibit anywhere near the kind of issues that this game suffers from.

That being said, it does seem like that the amount of foliage and the density of the particle effects would be easiest culprits to point out, since there's a lot of both of those and they can be pretty taxing.

manhack

Oct 27, 2017
I've played on the base PS4 and the PS4 pro.

The base PS4 was fine for me @1080p. The PRO is definitely preferred, since I do notice the difference, but I never once thought the base PS4 was horrible.

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
Foliage is killing everything

Makes sense. That said, I assume that like any MH game there are desert areas - is performance there better?

I've been playing with my son and to be honest...it's not too bad...some of the fights which have alpha effects like smoke...dust create some problems but you are generally rolling around like mad trying to reposition so you don't notice
The parts that really got me were these: "Noticeable loss in image quality when moving camera. 1080p on PS4 looks sharp when standing still but becomes blurry when moving. Same for XB1." - Seriously? I mean this is MH, you move the camera constantly, and there is no standing still...

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
You're mixing the motion thing, that's for the base consoles. The drop in IQ in motion.

The CB related artifacts aren't present all the time. Nor is the DoF in effect all the time, that's only there in cut-scenes.

That and you're completely neglecting to mention the lack of extra detail on the XBX version in the resolution mode. The Pro offers more detail in the world and distance compared to XBX.

And going by this comparison: http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/130069
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/130069
The graphics most is best avoided.
It's probably best to avoid arguing with someone who has a picture of the Scorpio chip as his avatar and all of his posts have been some variation on claiming the X is a beast. He's been corrected many times on this sort of thing and refuses to respond or engage with it.

Makes sense. That said, I assume that like any MH game there are desert areas - is performance there better?
That does appear to be the case in Wildspire Wastes, since the framerate on average is about 10 frames greater and it even hits 60 fps with some frequency at times on the X. John even mentions the lack of foliage being the likely reason why.

Hokey

Oct 29, 2017
Coming from the Nintendo games to me MHW looks absolutely incredible and plays amazing, I've always been happy with 30fps being primarily a console gamer. I'm playing on Pro with a C7 oled with the graphics option on, the HDR is quite strong in the menus/loading screens but is a bit more muted in-game compared to stuff like HZD but it still makes a huge difference without it, you can really see it in the skybox at any time and in the game world at dawn/dusk. The best part for me is that the game so far has been completely gltich/bug free (after 50hours) and doesn't seem to have dropped below 30fps even when I'm in the middle of a 3 monster battle online with 3 other players and also being a dual blades user means lots of camera panning, quick cuts and movement so the intensity of the onscreen action is at it's maximum. Overall this game is a dream come true because the first time I played this series on Wii with Tri I've longed for a HD version so for me the upgrade in graphics, resolution, level size, atmosphere and quality of life changes are pure perfection and my only gripe with the whole game (which is more of a design decision) is that they got rid of the water combat which imo offered up some nice variety which for me is always a good thing as long as it's used sparingly (just like elder dragon quests). Excellent breakdown by DF as always and for my preferences it seems the PS4 Pro version is the better choice.

Charismagik

Oct 27, 2017
I've been playing on resolution mode with the pro. The framerate one wasn't worth it from my experience. Haven't tried graphics yet

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
From the footage I've seen aside from this video as well as my own beta experience, I get the feeling that the team's inexperience with modern hardware caused them to have some weird prioritization, rather than it being one specific thing. The game is clearly a big step forward visually for the series, but I don't think it's unfair at all to say that it's far from the best that either platform has offered, and certainly many of those games above it on a technical level don't exhibit anywhere near the kind of issues that this game suffers from.

That being said, it does seem like that the amount of foliage and the density of the particle effects would be easiest culprits to point out, since there's a lot of both of those and they can be pretty taxing.
Perhaps this is due to the MH team being inexperienced with HD development

Padinn

Nov 4, 2017
I've mainly used performance mode on my 1x. Debating switching to graphics mode, but improvement is subtle.

Perhaps this is due to the MH team being inexperienced with HD development
Honestly, I actually think this is the big reason why they stuck with MT Framework, since they've been using it since Monster Hunter debuted on the 3DS and it's nothing if not extremely scalable. If they tried their hand at another middleware engine like UE4 or, god forbid, Capcom tried to get them to work with Panta Rhei, I doubt we would have seen the game in any playable state now.

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway

Also Wipeout Omega is a great showcase for HDR :)
It is also in native 4k/60 fps.

But I will definitely turn off HDR on MonHun after reading this thread.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Honestly, I actually think this is the big reason why they stuck with MT Framework, since they've been using it since Monster Hunter debuted on the 3DS and it's nothing if not extremely scalable. If they tried their hand at another middleware engine like UE4 or, god forbid, Capcom tried to get them to work with Panta Rhei, I doubt we would have seen the game in any playable state now.

If they had used UE, I am sure it would have looked amazing and probably not as aged as MT makes World look. I think the game looks great but needs more work to make it shine.