• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Even from the Making Of video Capcom put out, you can tell that they put most of their effort into Sony systems. As much as I love it on 1X, they need to do more, especially since Pro has higher settings on some modes. Hopefully patches etc will sort performance across all systems.

AnimeJesus

Oct 27, 2017
Enjoying the PS4Pro version in Graphics mode. It's really odd the unstable framerate doesn't bother me since Im anal about having a solid 30 or 60 in almost every other type of game. I was also able to overlook this in Bloodborne as well...guess it just goes to show how good the game is.

The amount of armor clipping in this game is insane though. I mean it's kinda expected give how elaborate some of them are and the combinations you can use but it's still really distracting at times.

Xerzix

Dec 1, 2017
Annnnnd I'll just wait for PC version.. I'm quite disappointed of MHWs performance on all consoles tbh. I was honestly expecting a fix for those stuttering issues or at the very least a locked 30 on the final build for Pro and X, I guess this wasn't the case this time around..

Dantero

Jan 23, 2018
Hmm good point

I wonder if sensitivity to performance is less jarring to the general casual gameplay? Like say you are reviewing a game and whatever performance hitches it might have fade into the background or are less noticable?

I have to imagine a lot of reviewers played on PS4 Pro as well or PS4 slim. And I gotta say that My experience on Slim was mostly positive and I didnt notice anything that distracted me from playing the game

Then again im not the one to check with. Are there any reviewers you follow that give more focus to performance that reviewed this game?

I agree that I could be less noticeable when the game is so good that you can see past the performance.

The point is that it doesn't seem fair to studios that make a game and put a lot of effort in making the game run perfect and optimizing the game.

Take mario oddesey for example. That game runs so smooth even on portable hardware and is a really good game overal. An almost perfect review is fair because every aspect of the game just is almost perfect, performance included.

I think this game got a pass because it was really hyped and loved and it should not be.

Game looks really fun but because of technical issues at this state it should be 70-80 more or less.

Putting a 30 fps cap could at least make one of the modes consistent if they can pull it off.

Maybe the pc version can be a 90 plus game.

I don't really care that much about reviews per say but it's a little weird to me.

I have an Xbox one x and it hardly seems like a good patch at all. Al versions have issues and I can't really come up with a game that has 3 modes where al modes don't deliver. You can?

Oct 25, 2017
So level of detail simply is better on PS4? Maybe I'm seeing this the wrong way but considering the hardware differences, that shouldn't be possible right? I don't recall any other multiplatform game so far like that when it comes to X versus Pro.

It's not a huge deal and certainly no deal breaker but you'd think they would use X's full potential.

Obviously they didn't. MWH is clearly an afterthought on Xbox.

That base Xbox One version though. Both PS4 and Xbox base versions are struggling big time. Maybe the biggest gap in a game so far.

Scarf

Oct 27, 2017
Feel like a bit of a fool for buying the XBX version earlier today, if I'd have waited until I'd seen this, I think I'd have gone for the PS4 Pro version.

Damn... M

Just play the game and enjoy. I have the XBX version and it's fine. It should be better but Capcom's gonna Capcom.

The_Land

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cleveland Ohio
Even from the Making Of video Capcom put out, you can tell that they put most of their effort into Sony systems. As much as I love it on 1X, they need to do more, especially since Pro has higher settings on some modes. Hopefully patches etc will sort performance across all systems.
They should do more, but not until the game works as intended online. Again, I know there is LFG, but I have zero desire to punch in Wii friend like lobby codes to play online.

Deleted member 7948

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Should it say 100% increase in this part (10:48)?

6lGUp0N.jpg

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
They should do more, but not until the game works as intended online. Again, I know there is LFG, but I have zero desire to punch in Wii friend like lobby codes to play online.

Maybe once things settle they can focus on post launch improvements, upgrades and optimizations

There is plenty of room for improvement and i wouldnt mind the MH team and community members to acknowledge them

Skyebaron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Is the normal xbox one framerate on an OG or an S? Im praying the Xbox one S can get closer to 30. If not, fuck. I hate playing below 30 and my friends are on xbox.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017

It should be if you go to the gathering floor, it auto puts you into a room of a max of 50 hunters where you can group into teams of 4 and then embark on a quest. No weird codes unless you want a private gathering zone.

If you have a squad, it auto loads you into the squad gathering hall first.

Gavin Stevens

Team Blur Games
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Telford, Shropshire
Fear not, the base consoles are included!

Did you happen to notice that performance on the X, at least in resolution mode, gets a lot smoother when you disable HDR?

Or that HDR washes the image out badly, but turning it off fixes this and allows you to set a much nicer brightness?

Or that the colour slider doesn't really do anything in HDR mode on the x?

I'm seeiously hoping Capcom listen to you about a 30fps cap... it's so bad to play atm :(

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Did you happen to notice that performance on the X, at least in resolution mode, gets a lot smoother when you disable HDR?

Or that HDR washes the image out badly, but turning it off fixes this and allows you to set a much nicer brightness?

I'm seeiously hoping Capcom listen to you about a 30fps cap... it's so bad to play atm :(

If Capcom responds and iterates to DF feedback that would be fantastic

space_nut

Oct 28, 2017
NJ
You're mixing the motion thing, that's for the base consoles. The drop in IQ in motion.

The CB related artifacts aren't present all the time. Nor is the DoF in effect all the time, that's only there in cut-scenes.

That and you're completely neglecting to mention the lack of extra detail on the XBX version in the resolution mode. The Pro offers more detail in the world and distance compared to XBX.

And going by this comparison: http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/130069
The graphics most is best avoided.

This shows you don't know what you are talking about. Your bias for your plastic box is showing clearly here.

11:04 in the video John states, and I quote,

"...that said while the pixel count is slightly lower the overall clarity of the image during gameplay is actually improved on the X..."

Again stating what I heard in the video.

Last edited:

Deleted member 4093

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If Capcom responds and iterates to DF feedback that would be fantastic
If one thing capcom could work on would be transparency. They dont seem to care much about these sort of things but this could go a long way in maintaining consumers. Especially with the momentum they are having right now with monster hunter.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017

I only played ~30 minutes on X in HDR since I was usually capturing without it but I didn't really catch any noticeable performance difference. HDR isn't really worth using in this game, though.

OP
OP
LiK

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
I only played ~30 minutes on X in HDR since I was usually capturing without it but I didn't really catch any noticeable performance difference. HDR isn't really worth using in this game, though.

Personally, I love the HDR. It made the skyboxes pop more especially during sunset and night time. Took screenshots and they look so drab without the HDR.

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Ouch about the Xbone's versions. It's clear that there was less work involved there and the console is just brute forcing the game into it's current state.

And this is yet another evidence of CB being no match for a native rendering, even at a lower resolution image quality is significantly better on X despite the less detail.

Scarf

Oct 27, 2017
Is the audio volume really low on PS4, too? At least when playing with headphones connected to a controller. This annoys me the most with the Xbox One version, MHW is the only game I have had this problem with.

Thanks, Capcom!

Evergarden

Oct 25, 2017
Dark1x John it is a little bit unrelated but Final Fantasy XV PC Benchmark -which covers 6 minutes of gameplay from several scenes- is being released tomorrow. Are you planning to do a quick review on it or you'll wait until the final version arrives ?

OP
OP
LiK

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
Is the audio volume really low on PS4, too? At least when playing with headphones connected to a controller. This annoys me the most with the Xbox One version, MHW is the only game I have had this problem with.

Thanks, Capcom!

Low on a 7.1 surround system here using Wide. Yea, I had to pump up the volume for this game as well.

jayvo

Oct 27, 2017
The PC version can't come soon enough. I bought the PS4 version, but the frame rate is just very irritating.

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
The fact the game shipped on xbox extremely broken it's expected that it's a pretty half assed job.....I think I'm too invested now in the ps4 version with some good hunters to go back and play on the x

Add capcom to the same bucket as konami when it comes to ports outside of non Japanese companies.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Dark1x John it is a little bit unrelated but Final Fantasy XV PC Benchmark -which covers 6 minutes of gameplay from several scenes- is being released tomorrow. Are you planning to do a quick review on it or you'll wait until the final version arrives ?
You know Richard will be all over that benchmark. I'm working on DF Retro tomorrow.

space_nut

Oct 28, 2017
NJ
That is a good opportunity to compare XB1X native vs Pro 1800p CB because the resolutions are pretty close.

Definitely is!

Even though X res is lower than cb res pro uses, X still improves IQ

11:04 in the video Tom states,

"...that said while the pixel count is slightly lower the overall clarity of the image during gameplay is actually improved on the X..."

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
11:04 in the video Tom states, and I quote,

Again stating what I heard in the video.

These are some of your choice statements within this topic itself:

My goodness X delivering nearly double the native pixel output over pro. Just shows how blurry and aliased pro is compared to X when using reconstruction. Also loving the significant fps gains the X provides :)

I did ;) 1800cb on pro showing a lot of aliasing and blurriness compared to ~1800p native on the X. Performance and graphics mode higher fps around 10fps more than pro

So, no. You're not saying what's in the video. You're taking one sentence and twisting it completely on it's head to suit your needs. Nowhere does the video say the XBX is running at double the resolution or the Pro version being blurry or aliased. The performance mode isn't 10 FPS ahead on the XBX, only the graphics mode is .. or most of the other things you're claiming.

Please stop.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What are the chances of a 30 FPS cap being implemented?

There are several small changes that need to be made outside of even the graphics. Things like the weirdness with the cutscenes in MP is another thing they need to address. Hopefully they release a patch or patches in the near future that deal with a lot of this smaller but still annoying issues.

WadeIt0ut

Oct 28, 2017
Iowa
The only issue's I've noticed for the most part were during the cutscenes. Otherwise it's been a pretty great experience on the X.