• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Damn, now I'm confused, should I get the game for my x or my pro? Can't watch the video right now...

Play it where ever your friends are playing MWH, because non-random co-op in MHW is sublime.

So level of detail simply is better on PS4? Maybe I'm seeing this the wrong way but considering the hardware differences, that shouldn't be possible right? I don't recall any other multiplatform game so far like that when it comes to X versus Pro.

It's not a huge deal and certainly no deal breaker but you'd think they would use X's full potential.

As far as I know LOD is only better on PS4 Pro ... in framerate mode. Unless I've misunderstood it.

I mean if anything this just vindicates the choice to wait for the PC version for those who want to play the best way possible

Playing sub-optimal games is kind of par for the course for console players. We typically never get the perfect technical game most of the time especially out of Japan

Whats the most technically sound console games available anyways? Am I talking out of my ass here?
MGS5 has got to be up there, I think. KojiPro did amazing work getting that to take advantage of the power available PS4 and XB1 and to this day, it's still quite the looker that holds its own. The 60 fps target is nearly faultless and it looks oh so crisp.

BazookaXp

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Damn, now I'm confused, should I get the game for my x or my pro? Can't watch the video right now...
Are you a playing on a 4k set? If not Xbox without a doubt and use the graphics mode. If you are playing on a 4k set it is up for debate which version is better. I would still say Xbox for image clarity however PS4 Pro can give you better graphcs i peperformance mode. Either way I would so go where your friends are playing because that is what this game is really about.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
DF doing god's work as usual. Looks like it's pretty solid across all platforms, though I'd like a 30 fps lock option.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Play it where ever your friends are playing MWH, because non-random co-op in MHW is sublime.

As far as I know LOD is only better on PS4 Pro ... in framerate mode. Unless I've misunderstood it.

LOD's are better on Pro in both frame rate *and* resolution mode.

Graphics mode is the only one where LODs are the same between Pro and XBX.

edit: beaten by the guy who made the video in the first place, sigh.

jayu26

Oct 25, 2017
Have access to both versions, Japanese game, marginal difference, correct answer is...PC. No but really, the correct answer is where are your friends playing, because the real fun is in co-op.

Godzilla24

Nov 12, 2017
X version looks spectacular. That resolution upgrade is tremendous over the pro. Frames rate up grade is also substantive.

Dantero

Jan 23, 2018
Because Sub-Optimal doesnt equal BAD as you claim

It does to people in here because optimal gaming is the goal but for the vast majority of gamers the game plays fine

Lets not overstep our bounds here and be realistic. The game is deserving of its acclaim and the technical side is legitimately being scrutinized by those who care most about it

I really hope the PC version delivers on your expectations!!

The game can still be a good game but cant be a an almost perfect game. FPS is al over the place.

Games dont get reviewed under the technical scrutiny of a DF video. Reviewers played it and what they found issues with and didnt seemingly wasnt the technical chops. I dunno what your issue is. You want a tech breakdown this is the place, but that has never been the way games are reviewed.

I can find many reviews for games that got a worse grade because of technical issues.

For honor
The crew
Quantum Break
The last guardian
Pubg
Evil within

The game can does not have to be bad. But it sure is not near perfect.

Oct 26, 2017

Yeah I'm watching the video now. I should not ask all these questions and not watch the video, my bad. :)

I do have to say that the game looks fine to me in this video, not washed out or anything. But I guess I gotta keep in mind that this isn't in HDR, so does HDR really wash it out then? Sounds like the dev really needs to get on top of that.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Well great, I'm finally sitting down to play for real this time rather than rushing through and it crashes on load. :-/

Deleted member 32018

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Nope X provides extremely clearer picture per the native res compared to the cb res pro uses. And in res mode pro is only at about 34fps while X is 32fps with less change. This, again, is at a res that is DOUBLE over pro since it's native. Even the video shows how clearer the X version is over pro

Then you have graphics mode where both are 1080p and same graphics BUT X providing 10+fps over pro at all times. That's the difference ;)

Again you are not understanding...

The game on X should perform better than it does and AGAIN there is more graphical detail and higher frame rate for the PS4 Pro in resolution mode. I never said anything about IQ.

The X version should have the same or better everything but it doesn't. Capcom obviously prioritized PS4. I'm not hating on your precious plastic box...

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I'm watching the video now. I should not ask all these questions and not watch the video, my bad. :)

I do have to say that the game looks fine to me in this video, not washed out or anything. But I guess I gotta keep in mind that this isn't in HDR, so does HDR really wash it out then? Sounds like the dev really needs to get on top of that.

HDR currently is a mess which is unfortunate because there are some scenes that would look great with it.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Are you a playing on a 4k set? If not Xbox without a doubt and use the graphics mode. If you are playing on a 4k set it is up for debate which version is better. I would still say Xbox for image clarity however PS4 Pro can give you better graphcs i peperformance mode. Either way I would so go where your friends are playing because that is what this game is really about.

Nah, you need to use resolution mode, specially, if you are on a 1080p screen. LOD besides, it's day and night.
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/130069

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like a mediocre effort on X

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
The game can still be a good game but cant be a an almost perfect game. FPS is al over the place.

I can find many reviews for games that got a worse grade because of technical issues.

For honor
The crew
Quantum Break
The last guardian
Pubg
Evil within

Hmm good point

I wonder if sensitivity to performance is less jarring to the general casual gameplay? Like say you are reviewing a game and whatever performance hitches it might have fade into the background or are less noticable?

I have to imagine a lot of reviewers played on PS4 Pro as well or PS4 slim. And I gotta say that My experience on Slim was mostly positive and I didnt notice anything that distracted me from playing the game

Then again im not the one to check with. Are there any reviewers you follow that give more focus to performance that reviewed this game?

Cybit

Oct 25, 2017
Not too much to say because it's a mystery. Capcom hasn't shared anything valuable about this game's tech or this iteration of MT Framework. All I can offer are observations.

My theory is that they just straight used the standard Xbox One level of detail options for resolution and frame-rate mode while the Pro version was hand tweaked. I could be totally off base, of course, but the X is a perfect match for the base system in terms of detail levels. Only the "graphics" mode is enhanced.

Second that - it looks like they spent some time optimizing PS4 performance but didn't bother to optimize for X1/X1X. Not sure if that has to do with any kind of deal Capcom / Sony cut w/r/t MH, or whether they just didn't expect many X1 owners to buy MH. (or, resource constraints, since PS4 tweaks will impact their local market far more than any X1 tweaks)

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Second that - it looks like they spent some time optimizing PS4 performance but didn't bother to optimize for X1/X1X. Not sure if that has to do with any kind of deal Capcom / Sony cut w/r/t MH, or whether they just didn't expect many X1 owners to buy MH. (or, resource constraints, since PS4 tweaks will impact their local market far more than any X1 tweaks)

Im gonna chalk it up to resource constraints

They already have the largest team making this game that they have ever had and look at that PC delay

Something tells me they are pushing their limits here

Oct 27, 2017
This is starting to feel like the coin flip thread of the Fe resolution one.

Hopefully the devs will patch in a frame cap as well. Unlocked sporadic frames are jarring at times.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017

For honor
The crew
Quantum Break
The last guardian
Pubg
Evil within

I said games are not reviewed under DF technical scrutiny. If reviews are mentioning performance issues then it means they felt it was a hit to the game. If they dont say anything then it means it wasnt a big deal for them. Its their score, saying it cant be perfect, well they felt it was okay.

space_nut

Oct 28, 2017
NJ
Again you are not understanding...

The game on X should perform better than it does and AGAIN there is more graphical detail and higher frame rate for the PS4 Pro in resolution mode. I never said anything about IQ.

The X version should have the same or better everything but it doesn't. Capcom obviously prioritized PS4. I'm not hating on your precious plastic box...

When talking about "Resolution" mode you'd think the actual resolution is what needs to be taken account for. Which again X is providing nearly double the native pixel over pro cb use. Shows how much clearer and crisp over pro shown in the video. If graphics are important than the Graphics mode is there which is equal on both systems but runs at 10+fps on the X over pro.

But the 1-2 fps gain on pro over X in resolution mode is actually worse as stated in the video as it has more frequent jumps in fps while X is pretty stable at 32fps too

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Nah, you need to use resolution mode, specially, if you are on a 1080p screen. LOD besides, it's day and night.
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/130069

Neither version is flattering visually but this is a very telling comparison. The Prefer Graphics image is so jagged it feels like I'll poke my eye out. Absolutely no reason anyone should avoid the resolution mode.

I know there are other differences like stronger lighting (which is faintly visible in this comparison on the foreground near the player) but they're really nothing to write home about if everything else looks like a jagged mess.

When talking about "Resolution" mode you'd think the actual resolution is what needs to be taken account for. Which again X is providing nearly double the native pixel over pro cb use. Shows how much clearer and crisp over pro shown in the video. If graphics are important than the Graphics mode is there which is equal on both systems but runs at 10+fps on the X over pro.

But the 1-2 fps gain on pro over X is actually worse as stated in the video as it has more frequent jumps in fps while X is pretty stable at 32fps too

Did we watch the same video ? Nowhere near are the differences in IQ stated as high as you're trying to make it sound. The biggest difference is related to depth of field, not IQ or pixel count at all.

Gavin Stevens

Team Blur Games
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Telford, Shropshire
This is the problem with Japanese developers. The Xbox is dead there so who gives a fuck. It's amazing it's even got a release.

Meanwhile myself an indie developer has multiple different language options available for his GUI, has multiple different graphical presets and options, has a GUI that scales to any resolution or aspect ratio, etc etc

They have their money. This shit won't be patched or changed. Capcom games don't really get patches that change these things. Hell, I'm STILL waiting on that RE7 X patch...

Oh well...

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017
I was hoping this guide would help me pick a visual mode to play in on my X1X... If anything, I'm more torn than ever.

Why couldn't they have just made one mode lock at 30FPS?
We know Capcom knows now to lock a frame rate down from all their fighting games...

Honestly, it's not the slower, consistent, frame rates in this game that bother me... It's the random weird lurches towards 60FPS that are absolutely jarring during gameplay...

PayForYourGas

Oct 31, 2017
Between the minimal graphical/performance differences and the larger playerbase, I'm going to pick this up for PS4 Pro over my X1X.

space_nut

Oct 28, 2017
NJ
Neither version is flattering visually but this is a very telling comparison. The Prefer Graphics image is so jagged it feels like I'll poke my eye out. Absolutely no reason anyone should avoid the resolution mode.

I know there are other differences like stronger lighting (which is faintly visible in this comparison on the foreground near the player) but they're really nothing to write home about if everything else looks like a jagged mess.

Did we watch the same video ? Nowhere near are the differences in IQ stated as high as you're trying to make it sound. The biggest difference is related to depth of field, not IQ or pixel count at all.

Did you watch it? Says in video the artifacts in the pro is very noticeable where the X is absent. Even shows with the tree shot showing how blurry it is compared to the X. If you find it not noticeable that's your opinion but it's there no matter what

Lat

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was hoping this guide would help me pick a visual mode to play in on my X1X... If anything, I'm more torn than ever.

Why couldn't they have just made one mode lock at 30FPS?
We know Capcom knows now to lock a frame rate down from all their fighting games...

Honestly, it's not the slower, consistent, frame rates in this game that bother me... It's the random weird lurches towards 60FPS that are absolutely jarring during gameplay...
I've played 15 hrs in res mode on XBX, 10 on res in PS4 Pro.

PS4 seemed a bit "smoother" gameplay wise, visuals were good on both, but I was just worried about not carting.

Fleet of Foot

Oct 27, 2017
Springboro, OH
I'm playing this game on One X and to me, the biggest crime isn't the frame rate or the resolution - it's the totally shit implementation of HDR, and how washed out this game looks. It's like the whole game is only operating in the upper 10% of the gamma scale.

Mr.Gamerson

Oct 27, 2017
Now that Capcom has the money i hope they either move Monster Hunter over to the RE Engine or build a brand new one that is tailored around Monster Hunter. The fantastic art direction is bogged down by the blurry visuals at times and the unimpressive lighting engine.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Did you watch it? Says in video the artifacts in the pro is very noticeable where the X is absent. Even shows with the tree shot showing how blurry it is compared to the X

Yes, I watched it, the OP has a summary written by me too and you'll find its pretty accurate :)

The artifacts and DoF are mentioned there, those are related to specific instances. The general image quality is never brought up as being worse on the Pro. However it is brought up that the Pro has more detail drawn in compared to XBX in the resolution mode.

The DoF and visual stipling effects aren't a factor in the Graphics mode, they're about identical visually.

I know you like the XBX and all but no need to make sweeping claims that aren't even brought up in the source video.

Pandy

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
I love my 60fps, but stable FPS is much more important, and bad frame-timing at low FPS is a thing I always avoid after Bloodborne gave me headaches.
After the review thread I was going to recommend to my PS4 buddies to pick this up so we could play together, but might go for a wait-and-see mode in case there are patches.

If it doesn't get fixed then I can always wait for the PC version.

space_nut

Oct 28, 2017
NJ
Yes, I watched it, the OP has a summary written by me too and you'll find its pretty accurate :)

The artifacts and DoF are mentioned there, those are related to specific instances. The general image quality is never brought up as being worse on the Pro.

I know you like the XBX and all but no need to make sweeping claims that aren't even brought up in the source video.

Artifacts are found in game as there is motion which is all of the time. No matter how you want to put it IQ is better on X over pro. Even states in video that X provides better IQ since there isn't any of the reconstruction artifacts. Period

Oct 26, 2017
Watched the video now. Yeah that lod difference on Pro versus X should not happen, as DF say themselves as well. X is more in line with base Xbox and PS4.... really?

I don't want to shit on any developers but it seems pretty clear they didn't do a whole lot for X and prioritized Pro. And if we look at the sales numbers of Pro versus X.... is it really any wonder?

Don't get me wrong, it sucks, for damn sure and I really hope we won't see this being repeated for any other games. That would be a shame and totally unnecessary.

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017

But the 1-2 fps gain on pro over X in resolution mode is actually worse as stated in the video as it has more frequent jumps in fps while X is pretty stable at 32fps too

You're really not getting it. What's the point in having better IQ when the graphics are worse than a less powerful console? And the difference in IQ isn't that different...

TripaSeca

Oct 27, 2017
São Paulo
With OG PS4 and XOne I already feel lagging behind this gen. I'm not compelled to buy a game knowing it can be better played by the newer hardware, but I also don't want to drop 2 min wages on a new system (Brazilian here)... It's a bizarre conundrum... If only most of these games ran fine on OG hardware.... But the stuttering for me is a dealbreaker and apparently the upgrade is not mindblowing also. I feel very bitter about this situation. It's very weird... It's like it's incomplete no matter what.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Artifacts are found in game as there is motion which is all of the time. No matter how you want to put it IQ is better on X over pro. Even states in video that X provides better IQ since there isn't any of the reconstruction artifacts. Period
You're mixing the motion thing, that's for the base consoles. The drop in IQ in motion.

The CB related artifacts aren't present all the time. Nor is the DoF in effect all the time, that's only there in cut-scenes.

That and you're completely neglecting to mention the lack of extra detail on the XBX version in the resolution mode. The Pro offers more detail in the world and distance compared to XBX.

And going by this comparison: http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/130069

The graphics most is best avoided.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Yea, Performance has juddery framerate and Graphics gives it a performance hit in spots. Resolution is the most consistent. Pro should downsample it for 1080p sets, I assume.
Depends if variable frame time bothers you or not. You should just try them all and see for yourself, "best profile" is very subjective here.
All right, thanks. I'm not too fussy on framerate, I played all Souls games on consoles after all :D So I'll probably try Resolution mode.

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017

This shows you don't know what you are talking about. Your bias for your plastic box is showing clearly here.

danowat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Feel like a bit of a fool for buying the XBX version earlier today, if I'd have waited until I'd seen this, I think I'd have gone for the PS4 Pro version.

Damn... M