• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Nope. It's literally there in the post you quoted.

As above.

The screenshots in the thread are better quality than DFs vid (which is locked the 1080p quality here for some reason?). I think it looks underwhelming and performance is pants. I don't need to play the game to make that statement.
Yes, the video is a 1080p video to save on capture space, exporting and encoding time and YT processing time. At 4K, it would have been up either tomorrow night or Friday.

I did most of the high-res mode capture at 4K for 1:1 shots but that only accounts for two of the modes - everything else is 1080p. I actually captured ~3tb of video for this project. I don't think I have the SSD space to handle all of it at 4K!

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Ugh. Unstable framerates everywhere. With a frame cap I'd go for the X version but this one will be played on PC for sure, with gsync ON, I can't stand stutters like this.

Oct 26, 2017
Lower, but not CB, like you said. Resolution-wise, XBX ends up looking a bit better. The difference is almost nonexistent, and being a native res makes it a bit clearer.

It's all in the video :P

Ah I see, thanks man. I don't have the game yet for my X but I do intend to get it sometime soon. Some people say they don't see the difference between graphics mode and resolution mode while others do. I have a feeling I definitely will notice the difference on a 65 incher, so sounds like resolution mode will be my thing. But I'll see for myself when I get it.

Deleted member 12352

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Xbox One X not exactly offering a huge advantage over the next best version from the looks of it. Considering the huge price tag difference in hardware I would personally be expecting a lot more tbh, but w/e.

Game is definitely rough around the edges in many ways, but it still plays great so I can live with it. Wouldn't complain about a 30fps cap option though.

~Fake

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So Dark1x Capcom are using some kind of reconstruction technique for the base consoles? Its hard to imagine why because they can just reduce the resolution, but insteed they use this. Are reconstruction technique some kind of checkerboard rendering for low res? They have any benefit insteed of using the standart upscaler?
So strange approach. I too hope for Capcom to release some kind of fixed 30 cap.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
Yes, that's exactly right.

You basically find a run of clear, visible pixels in a line with visible steps between them. You have to measure out a sample number (like 60 pixels) using something like MS Paint and then basically count the steps leading up to the end. If you get 48 steps out of a 60 pixel sample, you simply do 48/60 = 0.8 and then multiply the result by the resolution of the image (2160p in this case). 0.8*2160 = 1728

I really appreciate the answer! Thanks again.

Ahasverus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Colombia
- General tech, animation (besides facial lip sync) is praised.
- Clipping is visible a bunch
- Distant enemies render at lower FPS (so they look jittery at a distance)
- Motion blur used is not very good quality
- Lighting and contrast levels are weird at times

Visuals:

- PS4 vs XB1:
PS4 is 1080p, XB1 is 864p.
Temporal reconstruction is used on base consoles too.
Noticeable loss in image quality when moving camera.
1080p on PS4 looks sharp when standing still but becomes blurry when moving. Same for XB1.

- Pro vs XB1:
Prioritize resolution mode:
Pro 1800p via CB rendering. XBX 1720p native.
Even XB1 has some kind of temporal reconstruction.
Visible stripling and DoF look worse on Pro.
When using resolution mode, additional detail found on Pro not present on XBX.
Slightly higher pixel count and more detail on Pro, more stable image on XBX.

Performance mode:
1080p on both.
Pro exhibits more detail while XBX has similar detail as base PS4.

Graphics mode:
1080p on both
Both have similar level of detail.

- Performance:

No option to cap FPS to 30
Frame time spikes all over the place.

Base consoles:
Base PS4 performance mostly same as Beta.
XB1 performance generally below 30 most of the time. Generally the worst performing version.

Pro vs XBX
Frame rate mode: Pro avg 40 FPS and below during combat. XBX avg is higher than Pro but still feels jerky due to hitches and frame time.
Some later areas run faster, XBX can reach 60 FPS in sparse areas.
No combat world exploration avg: Pro 43 FPS, XBX 46 FPS. Pro draws more detail in the world compared to XBX
Town: XBX avg is higher compared to Pro.
In prioritize resolution priority mode Pro is slightly higher avg compared to XBX but XBX has slightly less frame time spikes.
In prioritize graphics Pro performance is slightly faster or the same as resolution mode. XBX commands a significant lead on (8, 10 FPS).

Summary:
XBX runs faster in Performance and Graphics mode. Pro runs slightly faster in Resolution mode.
ooh that's a good look for the pro. but non framerate lock is insane. won't buy until they sort that out. yuck at variable framerates.

imt558

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User was banned (2 weeks): trolling another user because he was too impatient to wait for the moderators to review a report he made.
Xbox One X not exactly offering a huge advantage over the next best version from the looks of it. Considering the huge price tag difference in hardware I would personally be expecting a lot more tbh, but w/e.

You're wrong on this one. You should watch the video with space_nut's eyes. :)

Poutine

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The fact that the game is running slower on the X1X with less details (in resolution mode) and the missing online features at launch makes me think more and more that Capcom just never really cared about testing and optimizing for that platform.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
So Dark1x Capcom are using some kind of reconstruction technique for the base consoles? Its hard to imagine why because they can just reduce the resolution, but insteed they use this. Are reconstruction technique some kind of checkerboard rendering for low res? They have any benefit insteed of using the standart upscaler?
So strange approach. I too hope for Capcom to release some kind of fixed 30 cap.
It's the only conclusion I could come up with. The fact that the image is basically missing half its resolution after a camera cut in addition to all the blurriness in motion leads me to believe it. Regardless of how it's achieved, the end results are clear - it's very blurry in motion.

Irminsul

Oct 25, 2017
The comparison made by John its about the evolution of the same engine (Capcom MT Framework) and how common its predecessors have this same problem about unlock frame rate.
No, watch the video at 14:43. "I suppose if they wanted to recreate the experience of Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate on a regular 3DS, they almost succeeded".

Franco_Tech

Oct 30, 2017
Well there you have it people that bought the xbox one x version thinking that will be far superior. well is not the case is very similar with the pro only a little better frame rate and loading times vs better community and matchmaking. Now undecided people decide what is better.

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I did ;) 1800cb on pro showing a lot of aliasing and blurriness compared to ~1800p native on the X. Performance and graphics mode higher fps around 10fps more than pro

The X runs a lot slower and has less detail in resolution mode...

The X should be able to do more than this as it's the more powerful hardware. That's the point others are trying to tell you. Stop trying to start console wars.

throwawayname

Oct 25, 2017
Man I don't know if I can handle the long wait for the PC version...I really don't want to play on my amateur PS4 with that framerate and buy PS+ just for that game alone but...

Dantero

Jan 23, 2018
So,

This game has so many modes and not 1 mode delivers. Its very disappointing to say the least.

Bad use of mid gen consoles. Pro lots of aliasing and not a good CB usage. Xbox one x is just a resolution boost. Seems like no optimizing at all.

3 modes and the result are

Bad frame rates.
Bad frame pacing.
LOD inconsistency's
Clipping
Even the contrast is of and underwhelming Implementation of HDR

And the reviews are 90+ . That just nonsense. People can really like the game but every game also has a technical aspect and when that's not good at all it can never be an almost perfect score.

Any other game would have gotten a lot of bad press. The name sure does a lot for this game.

KainXVIII

Oct 26, 2017
You're wrong on this one. You should watch the video with space_nut's eyes. :)
tenor.gif

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
I knew John was going to take the game to task for the inconsistent performance. It's tolerable for me playing in the Resolution mode on Pro but hopefully Capcom adds a cap for those who value the consistency. Base consoles need some love too.

Wowzors

The Wise Ones
Oct 27, 2017
So what is flat out the best mode to play in on a PS4 pro? The week gains in fps don't seem worth jt with the frame spikes, I'd lean prioritize resolution.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
So,

This game has so many modes and not 1 mode delivers. Its very disappointing to say the least.

Bad use of mid gen consoles. Pro lots of aliasing and not a good CB usage. Xbox one x is just a resolution boost. Seems like no optimizing at all.

Bad frame rates.
Bad frame pacing.
LOD inconsistency's
Clipping

And the reviews are 90+ . That just nonsense. People can really like the game but every game also has a technical aspect and when that's not good at all it can never be an almost perfect score.

Any other game would have gotten a lot of bad press. The name sure does a lot for this game.

Because Sub-Optimal doesnt equal BAD as you claim

It does to people in here because optimal gaming is the goal but for the vast majority of gamers the game plays fine

Lets not overstep our bounds here and be realistic. The game is deserving of its acclaim and the technical side is legitimately being scrutinized by those who care most about it

I really hope the PC version delivers on your expectations!!

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
So,

Bad frame rates.
Bad frame pacing.
LOD inconsistency's
Clipping

Games dont get reviewed under the technical scrutiny of a DF video. Reviewers played it and what they found issues with and didnt seemingly wasnt the technical chops. I dunno what your issue is. You want a tech breakdown this is the place, but that has never been the way games are reviewed.

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I would hope that with Capcom supporting the game with DLC etc for the months to come, they will optimize further and possibly add a cap for 30fps.

The_Land

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cleveland Ohio

Game is definitely rough around the edges in many ways, but it still plays great so I can live with it. Wouldn't complain about a 30fps cap option though.
Well to be fair it looks like Capcom gave zero fucks about any Xbox version of the game

~Fake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No, watch the video at 14:43. "I suppose if they wanted to recreate the experience of Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate on a regular 3DS, they almost succeeded".
Just view the beta video (before the final code). The last comparison its about 'unlock framerate' just like the old Monter Hunters series. He say the 'Monster Hunters fans are accustomed to unlock framerate'. This new video is just a follow up conclusion. Still unlock, but many of us are still believing the final code could really actually solve this problem put a 30 fps cap.

Franco_Tech

Oct 30, 2017
I feel really bad for Xbox owners. Capcom should have put a little more work in that version. The base model should be running closer to the base PS4 version at that lower resolution and the X version just didn't get as much love it seems.
I think most people know that the xbox version would be a lazy port, because of the lack of footage and coverage and no mention of the X support.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
I mean if anything this just vindicates the choice to wait for the PC version for those who want to play the best way possible

Playing sub-optimal games is kind of par for the course for console players. We typically never get the perfect technical game most of the time especially out of Japan

Whats the most technically sound console games available anyways? Am I talking out of my ass here?

abrasivemurk

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
So,

Bad frame rates.
Bad frame pacing.
LOD inconsistency's
Clipping

Yeah never read the performance mentioned in any review of the game on metacritic.

~Fake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's the only conclusion I could come up with. The fact that the image is basically missing half its resolution after a camera cut in addition to all the blurriness in motion leads me to believe it. Regardless of how it's achieved, the end results are clear - it's very blurry in motion.
Indeed. I played the beta code and is very very blurry in motion, this leads me to believe that little or nothing has changed since the last test.

Guerrilla

Oct 28, 2017
Damn, now I'm confused, should I get the game for my x or my pro? Can't watch the video right now...

Fiery Phoenix

Oct 26, 2017
Thanks for the detailed analysis, Dark1x. Guessing I'm sticking with Graphics Mode when I get it on the X, but I hope they add a 30fps lock by then.

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
Wait so for a PS4 pro on a 1080p TV, its better to run Resolution mode over Performance due to framerate dips?

MaximusPayne

Dec 14, 2017

If you are guaging hardware with this game I feel sorry for you.

Oct 26, 2017
So level of detail simply is better on PS4? Maybe I'm seeing this the wrong way but considering the hardware differences, that shouldn't be possible right? I don't recall any other multiplatform game so far like that when it comes to X versus Pro.

It's not a huge deal and certainly no deal breaker but you'd think they would use X's full potential.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Distant enemies render at lower FPS (so they look jittery at a distance

Even Uncharted 4 and Mario Galaxy does this for distant enemies but here in MHW it is very obvious and can hinder the experience especially for flying enemies that can hit you so quickly from above when spotting you, you have an FPS gap that you can't calculate what makes evasion and prompt strategies not efficient.

space_nut

Oct 28, 2017
NJ
The X runs a lot slower and has less detail in resolution mode...

The X should be able to do more than this as it's the more powerful hardware. That's the point others are trying to tell you. Stop trying to start console wars.

Nope X provides extremely clearer picture per the native res compared to the cb res pro uses. And in res mode pro is only at about 34fps while X is 32fps with less change. This, again, is at a res that is DOUBLE over pro since it's native. Even the video shows how clearer the X version is over pro. This allows textures and scenery details to be seen where pro is blurry and hidden

Then you have graphics mode where both are 1080p and same graphics BUT X providing 10+fps over pro at all times. That's the difference ;)