• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

danowat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Do they go into much about the game engine? I know MT Framework is pretty old, but I would assume its quite heavily updated, but even so, would that legacy hold it back?

Alexious

Executive Editor for Games at Wccftech
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I need to buy an X1X soon. This makes it clear to me. I love MH enough that I bough multiple consoles for them so this won't be any different. Capcom will have assets to use and update textures on for another decade I think.

Glad I bought the xbox one X for this thing

Why? John actually says that it's an underwhelming use of the Xbox One X. In fact, in resolution and frame rate mode it's missing some details....

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I'm really appreciating the effort put into getting a broader characterization of the game's visual presentation out there, before digging into the specifics for the various platforms. I think that's an ideal format. The labelling to point out specifics in the 1:1 comparisons is also excellent.

Last edited:

Proc

Oct 25, 2017
I've been refreshing YouTube and holding off my purchase since launch for this. Looking forward to getting home today and seeing how each did.

jbug617

Oct 25, 2017
Conclusion from the video.

Xbox One X is better than Pro in Performance and Graphics mode.
In Resolution mode X runs slower than Pro (FPS)

Base PS4 is slightly better than base XB1. Both don't run that well

Says if Capcom would add an option to lock the frame rate it would greatly help.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Do they go into much about the game engine? I know MT Framework is pretty old, but I would assume its quite heavily updated, but even so, would that legacy hold it back?
Not too much to say because it's a mystery. Capcom hasn't shared anything valuable about this game's tech or this iteration of MT Framework. All I can offer are observations.

Performance mode has more details on pro compared the X :/
My theory is that they just straight used the standard Xbox One level of detail options for resolution and frame-rate mode while the Pro version was hand tweaked. I could be totally off base, of course, but the X is a perfect match for the base system in terms of detail levels. Only the "graphics" mode is enhanced.

vegtro

Oct 25, 2017
For the lazy:
PS4 Pro wins Resolution mode in Performance
XBX wins Performance and Quality mode in Performance

OG PS4 is meh
OG XBO is nah

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
The big takeaway for me is that Capcom needs to implement the choice to lock it at 30 fps. Would there be any real impediment to doing this?

I dont think so

But as of now none of the community managers have commented on what future patches and feedback implementation could be

They did fix the torch pod bug so at the very least they are paying attention to game breaking stuff

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Gonna watch later, since I'm curious about which mode I should pick for the Pro, considering I don't have a 4K TV yet. I've asked around and heard different opinions every time lol...

Deleted member 8112

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The reconstruction method reminds me of Odyssey in handheld mode.

Summary:
- All consoles have some
temporal reconstruction method, which results in some stippling.
- No 30FPS lock.
- Graphics mode pushes LODs a lot farther
- PS4: 1080p, frame rate hangs around 30 but can drop a lot
- XB1: 864p, frame rate averages at 26-ish FPS in the forest area
- PS4 Pro: 1800p CB in resolution mode, always above 30FPS, performance and graphics mode are both 1080p, performance averages at 45ish FPS, graphics is the same as resolution
- XB1X: 1728p (4x base XB1), roughly the same performance as Pro in resolution, 1080p in graphics and performance, graphics averages at the same frame rate as performance on Pro, performance is usually better and can even reach 50+fps in less demanding areas.
- LODs better on PS4.

Last edited:

Wein Cruz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm playing on a PS4 slim and that's not true.

I haven't noticed any real dips. Loading screens aren't great but they're only between missions.

I guess it's 30fps, maybe it drops a few here or there idk but I haven't had a single moment where performance impacted gameplay

Your impressions are pretty worthless when we have clear evidence like the video in the OP.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Umm bulletpoints please?

- General tech, animation (besides facial lip sync) is praised.
- Clipping is visible a bunch
- Distant enemies render at lower FPS (so they look jittery at a distance)
- Motion blur used is not very good quality
- Lighting and contrast levels are weird at times

Visuals:

- PS4 vs XB1:
PS4 is 1080p, XB1 is 864p.
Temporal reconstruction is used on base consoles too.
Noticeable loss in image quality when moving camera.
1080p on PS4 looks sharp when standing still but becomes blurry when moving. Same for XB1.

- Pro vs XB1:
Prioritize resolution mode:
Pro 1800p via CB rendering. XBX 1720p native.
Even XB1 has some kind of temporal reconstruction.
Visible stripling and DoF look worse on Pro.
When using resolution mode, additional detail found on Pro not present on XBX.
Slightly higher pixel count and more detail on Pro, more stable image on XBX.

Performance mode:
1080p on both.
Pro exhibits more detail while XBX has similar detail as base PS4.

Graphics mode:
1080p on both
Both have similar level of detail.

- Performance:

No option to cap FPS to 30
Frame time spikes all over the place.

Base consoles:
Base PS4 performance mostly same as Beta.
XB1 performance generally below 30 most of the time. Generally the worst performing version.

Pro vs XBX
Frame rate mode: Pro avg 40 FPS and below during combat. XBX avg is higher than Pro but still feels jerky due to hitches and frame time.
Some later areas run faster, XBX can reach 60 FPS in sparse areas.
No combat world exploration avg: Pro 43 FPS, XBX 46 FPS. Pro draws more detail in the world compared to XBX
Town: XBX avg is higher compared to Pro.
In prioritize resolution priority mode Pro is slightly higher avg compared to XBX but XBX has slightly less frame time spikes.
In prioritize graphics Pro performance is slightly faster or the same as resolution mode. XBX commands a significant lead on (8, 10 FPS).

Summary:
XBX runs faster in Performance and Graphics mode. Pro runs slightly faster in Resolution mode.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way

Summary:
All consoles have the temporal reconstruction method, which results in some stippling.
No 30FPS lock.
PS4: 1080p, frame rate hangs around 30 but can drop a lot
XB1: 864p, frame rate averages at 26-ish FPS in the forest area
PS4 Pro: 1800p CB in resolution mode, always above 30FPS, performance and graphics mode are both 1080p, performance averages at 45ish FPS, graphics is the same as resolution
XB1X: 1728p (4x base XB1), roughly the same performance as Pro in resolution, 1080p in graphics and performance, graphics averages at the same frame rate as performance on Pro, performance is usually better and can even reach 50+fps in less demanding areas.
LODs better on PS4.
Not watched the video yet, but to clarify, 1728p native on X vs 1800p CB on Pro? I wonder why they are CB'ing on Pro for that resolution, I would have taken native 1440p over that.

Sounds like a dreadful job on the X version regardless though, given the gaps we've seen between the two consoles on other titles.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
The Pro having more foliage than the X in performance mode is weird.

And the fact that they didn't add a locked 30fps option and performance mode is ~40fps for Pro and ~45 for the X in the jungle is disgusting.

The PC version is going to be a godsend.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
This was one of those games I couldn't decide between Pro and X1X, and didn't want to wait for the DF video so I picked Pro since I prefer PS. Seems like they didn't really utilize the X to what they probably could have, and I have been running in resolution mode anyway so I am happy with my choice. I do wish this kind of shit would come out before the game though.

dreamfall

Oct 25, 2017
Super interesting. With both an X and a Pro with a 4K tv, I'd probably pick Resolution mode. And even with the checker boarding artifacts, Pro has better frame rates, and foliage while the X outclasses it on other modes.

Lord, we need that PC release soon - that's my grand takeaway.

Karppuuna

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I notice that the farmerate is all over the place, when playing beta. Still almost all major review site give this game 9-10, what a joke! This game is a technical mess and don't deserve 9 or 10.

LordOcidax

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Base consoles performance is... Yikes (little worse than old 3DS MH games). Mid gen consoles a little better (Need 30fps lock asap). Going to wait for the PC version.

MaximusPayne

Dec 14, 2017
This has to be one of the worst implementations of mid gen consoles I've seen. It's like Capcom didn't even try with the Xbox versions.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Game sounds like a mess imo on consoles. Not that its really bad but more weird decisions, bad checkerboarding on the Pro, uncapped framerate, bad frametimes, missing details on the X.
Base consoles look really really rough also.

danowat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
- General tech, animation (besides facial lip sync) is praised.
- Clipping is visible a bunch
- Distant enemies render at lower FPS (so they look jittery at a distance)
- Motion blur used is not very good quality
- Lighting and contrast levels are weird at times

Visuals:

- PS4 vs XB1:
PS4 is 1080p, XB1 is 864p.
Temporal reconstruction is used on base consoles too.
Noticeable loss in image quality when moving camera.
1080p on PS4 looks sharp when standing still but becomes blurry when moving. Same for XB1.

- Pro vs XB1:
Prioritize resolution mode:
Pro 1800p via CB rendering. XBX 1720p native.
Even XB1 has some kind of temporal reconstruction.
Visible stripling and DoF look worse on Pro.
When using resolution mode, additional detail found on Pro not present on XBX.
Slightly higher pixel count and more detail on Pro, more stable image on XBX.

Performance mode:
1080p on both.
Pro exhibits more detail while XBX has similar detail as base PS4.

Graphics mode:
1080p on both
Both have similar level of detail.

- Performance:

No option to cap FPS to 30
Frame time spikes all over the place.

Base consoles:
Base PS4 performance mostly same as Beta.
XB1 performance generally below 30 most of the time. Generally the worst performing version.

Pro vs XBX
Frame rate mode: Pro avg 40 FPS and below during combat. XBX avg is higher than Pro but still feels jerky due to hitches and frame time.
Some later areas run faster, XBX can reach 60 FPS in sparse areas.
No combat world exploration avg: Pro 43 FPS, XBX 46 FPS. Pro draws more detail in the world compared to XBX
Town: XBX avg is higher compared to Pro.
In prioritize resolution priority mode Pro is slightly higher avg compared to XBX but XBX has slightly less frame time spikes.
In prioritize graphics Pro performance is slightly faster or the same as resolution mode. XBX commands a significant lead on (8, 10 FPS).

Summary:
XBX runs faster in Performance and Graphics mode. Pro runs slightly faster in Resolution mode.
Thanks for that.
My take is, on XBX at least, graphics mode is the way to go?

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
I feel really bad for Xbox owners. Capcom should have put a little more work in that version. The base model should be running closer to the base PS4 version at that lower resolution and the X version just didn't get as much love it seems.

Relix

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm, John, what about texture quality? It seems really low most of the time.

Aktlys

Oct 27, 2017
Looks like Capcom just did a straight port of the PS4 version for 1X
1X has definitely not been optimized, it's just raw power pushing it ahead
meh

Gavin Stevens

Team Blur Games
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Telford, Shropshire
Oh good lord, I knew it was bad, but it takes a special amount of no fucks given to Male the Xbox one x version WORSE than the pro version... that's some AAA fuck up right there...

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
For those curious, here's one of the shots I used for pixel counting (they're scattered about on my HDD right now but I have this one handy). This is a 2160p shot and I got 48/60 samples across the image in various spots -> 1728

http:///yYEc.jpg

ApeEscaper

Oct 27, 2017
Bangladeshi
Fear not, the base consoles are included!
Oh i know lol was watching it's just it seems these comparison videos more time is given to the mid gen consoles even though like 80% of both console platforms people own the Base version. The vocal minority (comments) are the Pro and X owners but the majority of the viewers is the Base owners. But it's ok great vid :)

Summary:
All consoles have the temporal reconstruction method, which results in some stippling.
No 30FPS lock.
PS4: 1080p, frame rate hangs around 30 but can drop a lot
XB1: 864p, frame rate averages at 26-ish FPS in the forest area
PS4 Pro: 1800p CB in resolution mode, always above 30FPS, performance and graphics mode are both 1080p, performance averages at 45ish FPS, graphics is the same as resolution
XB1X: 1728p (4x base XB1), roughly the same performance as Pro in resolution, 1080p in graphics and performance, graphics averages at the same frame rate as performance on Pro, performance is usually better and can even reach 50+fps in less demanding areas.
LODs better on PS4.
Best to the point summary so far whilst still giving reason enough for people to watch the video too as there some more details they can know and see aswell