• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
I think some of us have been waiting for a while for this.

The reconstruction method reminds me of Odyssey in handheld mode.

Summary:
- All consoles have some
temporal reconstruction method, which results in some stippling.
- No 30FPS lock.
- Graphics mode pushes LODs a lot farther
- PS4: 1080p, frame rate hangs around 30 but can drop a lot
- XB1: 864p, frame rate averages at 26-ish FPS in the forest area
- PS4 Pro: 1800p CB in resolution mode, always above 30FPS, performance and graphics mode are both 1080p, performance averages at 45ish FPS, graphics is the same as resolution
- XB1X: 1728p (4x base XB1), roughly the same performance as Pro in resolution, 1080p in graphics and performance, graphics averages at the same frame rate as performance on Pro, performance is usually better and can even reach 50+fps in less demanding areas.
- LODs better on PS4.

- General tech, animation (besides facial lip sync) is praised.
- Clipping is visible a bunch
- Distant enemies render at lower FPS (so they look jittery at a distance)
- Motion blur used is not very good quality
- Lighting and contrast levels are weird at times

Visuals:

- PS4 vs XB1:
PS4 is 1080p, XB1 is 864p.
Temporal reconstruction is used on base consoles too.
Noticeable loss in image quality when moving camera.
1080p on PS4 looks sharp when standing still but becomes blurry when moving. Same for XB1.

- Pro vs XB1:
Prioritize resolution mode:
Pro 1800p via CB rendering. XBX 1720p native.
Even XB1 has some kind of temporal reconstruction.
Visible stripling and DoF look worse on Pro.
When using resolution mode, additional detail found on Pro not present on XBX.
Slightly higher pixel count and more detail on Pro, more stable image on XBX.

Performance mode:
1080p on both.
Pro exhibits more detail while XBX has similar detail as base PS4.

Graphics mode:
1080p on both
Both have similar level of detail.

- Performance:

No option to cap FPS to 30
Frame time spikes all over the place.

Base consoles:
Base PS4 performance mostly same as Beta.
XB1 performance generally below 30 most of the time. Generally the worst performing version.

Pro vs XBX
Frame rate mode: Pro avg 40 FPS and below during combat. XBX avg is higher than Pro but still feels jerky due to hitches and frame time.
Some later areas run faster, XBX can reach 60 FPS in sparse areas.
No combat world exploration avg: Pro 43 FPS, XBX 46 FPS. Pro draws more detail in the world compared to XBX
Town: XBX avg is higher compared to Pro.
In prioritize resolution priority mode Pro is slightly higher avg compared to XBX but XBX has slightly less frame time spikes.
In prioritize graphics Pro performance is slightly faster or the same as resolution mode. XBX commands a significant lead on (8, 10 FPS).

Summary:
XBX runs faster in Performance and Graphics mode. Pro runs slightly faster in Resolution mode.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I need to buy an X1X soon. This makes it clear to me. I love MH enough that I bough multiple consoles for them so this won't be any different. Capcom will have assets to use and update textures on for another decade I think.

ApeEscaper

Oct 27, 2017
Bangladeshi
Wanting to know comparison of base PS4 vs base Xbox One as that's the consoles the majority have DF always focuses on the less popular mid gen consoles more

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Props to Digital Foundry as usual, but there is literally nothing (not one aspect aside from the stary night sky) that is impressive to me in MH.

Sirhc

Hasn't made a thread yet. Shame me.
Oct 27, 2017
Hope they post the writeup soon, at work so can't watch. Interested to see details on X. It seems alot better then ps4 pro beta test but that was an old version, the half frame rate animations seem like they have a lot longer distance to kick in though.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Good lord, 22 min. Curious to watch, but mah god.

I've been playing on Pro resolution mode, game looks incredible.

D65

Oct 26, 2017
I really wish the PC version was cross play and came out at almost the same time.

This will play amazing at 60+

Dukie85

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Still gonna play on OG PS4, until the PC version releases. Even with a 4K TV, I'm still not ready to drop another $400-$500 on a console anytime soon.

Oct 25, 2017
Using SSD with PS4 Pro gives it faster loading times than other versions not sure if this is common knowledge. Now I need a SSD but these prices.........

Oct 27, 2017
Wow the Non-4K consoles look like they run pretty terribly.
I'm playing on a PS4 slim and that's not true.

I haven't noticed any real dips. Loading screens aren't great but they're only between missions.

I guess it's 30fps, maybe it drops a few here or there idk but I haven't had a single moment where performance impacted gameplay

Scarface

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
You know what. FPS in games is a pretty big deal to me and I find that the base ps4 is not too bad. For how good the game looks and how big it is, im impressed how it runs on a base ps4.

Its good enough to keep me from upgrading. I personally found BB jitter to be a lot worse and I played that game probably 15 times.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Crazy how the performance is so poor. While its nice to have an HD MH with lots of bells and whistles nothing about this game looks all that great. Luckily the game has an incredibly strong art style and I cannot wait to play the PC version in all of its glorious 60fps splendor.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017

I haven't noticed any real dips. Loading screens aren't great but they're only between missions.

I guess it's 30fps, maybe it drops a few here or there idk but I haven't had a single moment where performance impacted gameplay

I can back this up

Perfectly playable on slim after 30hours

But this topic is for those who want to know the optimum experience i imagine

AntiMacro

Oct 27, 2017
Alberta

I can see how it could be kind of hard for people who aren't prone to noticing framerate to tell sometimes because the game uses static animation frames to emphasize impact.

The_Land

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cleveland Ohio
It really does shine on the X. I also downloaded it on my old XB1 which is hooked up to a projector and it was borderline unplayable to me. The X has REALLY spoiled me.

Really hoping Capcom gets the online and HDR issues fixed on Xbox

Khrol

Oct 28, 2017
Guys its a 22 minute video. Give people time to watch it before asking for a summary.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I can back this up

Perfectly playable on slim after 30hours

But this topic is for those who want to know the optimum experience i imagine
It is perfectly playable but it's also very jerky - it regular dips under 30fps and often slightly over. Never does it offer consistent frame-times. It's always a judder fest...but that doesn't make it unplayable (well, for some)

Arkaign

Nov 25, 2017
Still gonna play on OG PS4, until the PC version releases. Even with a 4K TV, I'm still not ready to drop another $400-$500 on a console anytime soon.

Ditto, after AC Origins, SoW, Destiny 2, etc, it's just night and day playing things at 60. I would have gladly bought a pro or X if they took framerate seriously, but even if they were 16k@30fps, ugh.

I got really lucky upgrading my PC though, nowadays I'd actually recommend a midgen console to a 4k tv owner, provided they are not spoiled by 60fps in those games.

SuperYlvis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wanting to know comparison of base PS4 vs base Xbox One as that's the consoles the majority have DF always focuses on the less popular mid gen consoles more

I think the average consumer that watch Digital Foundry is more into tech though, and I would assume there's a higher % of people owning a PS4Pro and XBX that follows DF compared to those who don't.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah I have been disappointed with the game from a technical point of view on a base PS4, and it is really making me consider dumping the thing if this is its future as far as the gulf in quality is concerned.

Good that the improvements are there on the more powerful consoles, but it doesn't do much for me ATM since I won't have the money for one of them for a few months at least.

Oh well c'est la vie I'm still enjoying the game.

OP
OP
LiK

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
Another major one: No locked framerate in any mode so it's all over the place for all versions.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
I am curious as to what does impress you
I mean Im sure a lot impresses him. Its not a stretch to say this game is far from the nicest looking game on the market. What impresses me about the game isn't its visual fidelity at all, but its art style. Coral Highlands is probably one of the most beautifully crafted areas in a game ever in my opinion. Also Monster animations are fantastic. Probably the best in any game ever.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Another major one: No locked framerate in any mode so it's all over the place for all versions.

I wouldnt mind an option to lock framerate to 30fps on pro

Hopefully they will build patches and improvements as we near PC release

That said my enjoyment playing the game hasnt been negatively affected playing on PRO

Gren

Oct 27, 2017
Aw can't watch right now. Do they comment on whether there's screen-tearing, particularly in the X/Pro versions?

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I'm probably one of the few people that actually put an SSD in his PS4 Pro so that might explain why the MHW loading times are not a big deal for me.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like Xbox especially the base one is getting a short end of the stick here, missing foliage, lower resolution but without CB, and fucked up matchmaking. Bad performance all around, hoping Capcom can fix this with a patch

Lat

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I knew it wasn't my eyes or my HDR that the color in the game seemed flat.

Briarios

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The big takeaway for me is that Capcom needs to implement the choice to lock it at 30 fps. Would there be any real impediment to doing this?